Chapter 10

The New General

Seungsik returned from a hunt to see someone standing outside the hotel they were staying in and immediately stopped in his tracks, watching the person for a second before walking over, keeping his stance neutral in case it was anyone from Lucas's pack.

"The hybrid returns from the hunt then?" Asked the person once Seungsik was close enough. "Who are you?" Asked Seungsik. "Seongri," said Seongri as he shrugged, taking his hands out of his pants pockets and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Brave of you to come by yourself," said Seungsik, earning a snort from Seongri. "Brave of you to hunt on your own, when there's been reports of missing humans in the city," said Seongri as he tilted his head to the side in question. "I don't hunt humans," said Seungsik.

"Someone is," said Seongri. "And it isn't me," he added. "I don't hunt in a city owned by the wolves," he said.

"Makes me think you are only doing this in an effort to frame me," said Seungsik. "Please, if I was doing that you'd be dead long before you got to the city," said Seongri. "I'm sure I'd find ways for your packmates to have to kill you due to some rather... Unfortunate things that happened in your own past," he added.

"You wouldn't," growled Seungsik. "I can, and I will," said Seongri. "Watch what you say to me pup," he said. "Who are you exactly?" Asked Seungsik. "That question will be answered soon enough," said Byungchan as he exited the building.

"You're who I'm meeting then?" Asked Seongri as he turned to Byungchan. "Yes," said Byungchan as Subin exited the building and stood beside Byungchan. "Oh cool, the gang is all here," Seongri said with slight sarcasm. "Makes me think I should've brought one of my covenmates along," he said.

"We can talk at the cafe, if you want," said Byungchan. "Fine with me," said Seongri. "But they won't be open for another two hours, so let's take a walk, the two of us," he said. "And before your packmates say anything, if I was going to kill you I would've done so by now," he said. "He's got a point," said Byungchan. "I'll be fine," he said, nodding to Subin and Seungsik. "Wait for me at the cafe in a few hours," he said.

"Are you sure?" Asked Subin, a glint of concern showing in his eyes. "Yes," said Byungchan. "Believe me, I know how to defend myself," he said. Subin nodded, reassured for the time being. "If you're not at the cafe in a few hours we're hunting you down," said Seungsik. "No problem," said Byungchan before he walked off, with Seongri walking after him after eyeing Seungsik.

 

~



"So who are you?" Asked Byungchan as they walked through the city. "Do you know Youngbin?" Asked Seongri as he shrugged his shoulders, putting his hands in his pockets. "Of course," said Byungchan. "Who wouldn't know who he is?" He asked, earning a snort from Seongri.

"I used to be like him you know," said Seongri. "My reputation was just as diverse as his," he said. "And then Italy's purge happened," he said. "Youngbin runs the information network in the states, I run the entire information network here in Europe," he said.

"Did you run Italy?" Asked Byungchan. "No," said Seongri. "That was Kangin's job, then he messed up," he said. "I still have a hold on Italy, but we're still a long way from making that country public again," he said. "I'm in talks with Mashiho about the yearly purges coming back but it's taking some convincing from the new coven that has made the country home," he said.

"Yearly purges might be coming back?" Asked Byungchan as he blinked in confusion. "No," said Seongri. "At least, not within the next few years or so," he said. "However, the werewolves in this side of Europe have become rather violent lately," he added. "I'll have to ask Yedam to fix that problem when we make this country public," he said.

"You know who's been killing the humans then?" Asked Byungchan. "I do," said Seongri. "However, they're starting to become a problem," he said. "Even Lucas is staring to question why they're going through the trouble of causing this kind of publicity," he said.

"Normally if there's a problem as big as this there's a motive behind it," said Byungchan as he turned his head to look behind him, a sense of fear flaring up as he fought down a shiver. The distinct need to submit forced him to stop walking as the alpha aura nearly made him collapse and bare his neck in submission as Seongri noticed that he stopped.

"You alright there?" Asked Seongri as he looked in the direction they came from. "For now," said Byungchan as he took a shaky breath, glaring at something in the distance. "I think we're being followed," he said. "I can get us out of here, if need be," said Seongri. "Let's not draw attention to ourselves," said Byungchan as he forced himself to turn around and continue walking.

Seongri put an arm on Byungchan's shoulder in a comforting way though it was disguised by a sudden friendly tone in his voice. "Come on, the others are looking for us," he said, walking with Byungchan and steering him back towards the cafe.

"You're shaking," remarked Seongri as they walked. "I can't help it alright?" Grumbled Byungchan as he tried and failed to force the shaking to stop. "I wasn't going to ask if you could or not," said Seongri. "Besides, I know a beta when I see one," he said, removing his arm from Byungchan's shoulder as they reached the cafe. He opened the door and let Byungchan walk inside ahead of him before following, going to get an order from a new person at the counter that Byungchan hadn't seen before.

"Hendery, the usual please," said Seongri. "Also please call Lucas downstairs, this is really serious," he said. Hendery nodded, going to do just that. Seongri went to sit down beside Seungsik who was sitting in front of Subin who Byungchan now sat beside.

"How did you know?" Asked Byungchan as he finally relaxed, leaning into Subin slightly as he slumped in his chair. "You don't think I've run into my fair share of betas while running the information network here?" Asked Seongri as he raised an eyebrow. "You guys are more common than you think," he said. "I'm not doubting that," said Byungchan as he shook his head. "I thought I hid it well," he said. "Not well enough apparently, if a vampire could pick it up," said Seongri.

 

~



Lucas came over, bringing a chair and sitting down at the end of the table, placing the cups of coffee down for everyone. "So how serious is this?" He asked. "Serious enough for Byungchan's beta status to be known almost immediately," said Seongri. "So we got werewolves in on this huh?" Asked Lucas. "It seems so," hummed Seongri.

"What do you need me to do?" Asked Lucas. "Do some scouting," said Seongri. "We can't let our guests be hindered by this when we still got negotiations," he said. "We'll deal with them when the time comes," he said.

"You're not gonna let us meddle in this are you?" Asked Byungchan. "As much as I'd love to, it wouldn't do well for my reputation if I let visitors to the country get killed," said Seongri. "Besides, I believe Wontak is still in the country somewhere," he said. "I'll ask him to help if it gets worse," he said.