Chapter 16

The New General

"I see where you're going with this now," said Sunghyuk as he turned to Byungchan. "Had me going for a bit there," he said. "However, I think I'll let you go," he said. "The whole hunting humans thing is up to Seongri at this point," he said. "So with that, we'll be off then," he said, turning and walking away with Hyunmin and Daehyeon following him.

"Wait," said Byungchan, taking a deep breath as he stepped forward. "You agreed to our terms then?" He asked. "I do," called Sunghyuk as he brought up a hand in a wave before disappearing from view.

Yunho looked up at Byungchan in a questioning manner as Byungchan turned to Yunho and Seungsik. "Let him go," said Byungchan. Yunho nodded and took his foot off of Seungsik's back before helping him up and letting go, stepping back and letting his arms fall to his side as he relaxed slightly, though everyone there knew that he would spring into action when the situation called for it.

"You just got spared a painful death, be grateful," said Seongri as he walked over to stand in front of Seungsik. "Alas, I must let you go too," he said. "Get word out to the others," he said, turning to Byungchan and Seungwoo. "Tell them what happened, and that hunters are now open to communicate in this country," he said. "Budapest however, is open to everyone," he said. "Now, go get packed up and get the hell off of my property before I change my mind," he growled, causing everyone to scramble to get packed up.

"Good lord I never thought that would end," Byungchan sighed out as he sat in the passenger seat of the rental car that Seongri provided. "I know," said Seungwoo. "I was ready to tear Seungsik apart myself," he grumbled. "To keep the peace," he added. "I would've done the same thing," said Byungchan.

"Quit talking like I'm not here," said Seungsik as he looked out the window on the passenger side in the back seat. "You screwed up royally," said Subin as he sighed from his spot in the backseat on the driver's side. "Get your act together, we'll be heading home soon at least," he said.

 

~



"You succeeded I heard," said Lucas when Byungchan walked into the coffee shop with Seungwoo in tow. "Yeah," said Byungchan as he plopped down in a booth with a sigh and Seungwoo went to sit across from him. "It's been a long journey, I'm glad for it to be over with," he said. "You seem tired," said Lucas as he brought over a couple cups of coffee and placed it in front of them. "It's on the house," he added as he sat down next to Seungwoo.

"I'm exhausted," confessed Byungchan. "I never thought I'd have to do this as my first mission," he said. "But you know what, I need to expect this kind of thing more apparently," he said. "We did this all the time," said Seungwoo. "So I don't know what you're complaining about," he said. "I'm just... Just tired," said Byungchan. "Nothing more," he added, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Where'd your hunter go?" Asked Lucas. "He finally went to meet up with three other packmates of ours," said Byungchan. "He'll be heading home afterwards though, remind me to get a souvenir," he said to Seungwoo. "Already got one for him," said Seungwoo.

"Let me guess, another plushie?" Byungchan asked with an amused smile. "Of course," Seungwoo said with a chuckle. "A plushie?" Asked Lucas. "For Yunho," said Seungwoo. "San usually gets him gifts but I managed to convince him to let me get the gift this time," he said. "What plushie did you get?" Asked Byungchan. "Another dog," said Seungwoo. "It's supposed to be the Kuvasz but it's kind of hard to make a plushie out of that breed apparently," he said.

"Well, Chan will be happy to finally be able to talk to me," said Lucas as he smiled slightly. "Good for you," said Byungchan. "Where are you going after this?" Asked Lucas. "Back to Berlin, straight back," said Byungchan. "To let the others know of the news so they can pass it on," he added. "I could've done that from here but Berlin is a major hub," he said. "Plus, Wooseok's waiting," he added, earning a scoff from Seungwoo, though Byungchan could see the relieved look on his face under his usual cold and blank expression.

 

~



The trip back to Berlin was a quiet one, taking a train back through Austria and Switzerland to update Yohan and Donghan of the news coming from Hungary. Seungsik had gone ahead to hunt, so they were expecting him to be back in Berlin before them.

Subin was being quiet, more under his uncle's presence than under Byungchan's presence. Byungchan was just glad to finally be back in familiar territory, fully relaxing for the first time in weeks.

Wooseok was waiting for them at the train station in Berlin, smiling softly at Seungwoo and nodding to Byungchan and Subin. "Seungsik's at the coffee shop," he said. "Come on then," he said, leading them out of the station and to the jeep, where Eunwoo was waiting.

"Long time no see Eunwoo," said Byungchan as everyone got into the jeep. "Same to you," said Eunwoo. "Sorry about not being here when you guys first got here but I was at the hospital working," he said, starting the jeep and backing out of his spot before driving to the coffee shop.

"Moonbin," said Byungchan as he walked into the coffee shop to spot Moonbin at the register with Seungwoo and Wooseok after getting dropped off by Eunwoo, who had to return to the hospital. "Hey," said Moonbin. "Mission success then?" He asked as he rang up orders for the usual. "Yeah," said Byungchan as he went to pay for it, passing over a report on the latest news.

Moonbin processed the order before handing back the card, nodding at Byungchan when he saw the papers. "Your orders will be a few minutes," he said. "Also Chan should be stopping by soon," he added. Byungchan nodded, turning and going to sit down with Seungwoo and Subin.

 

~



Chan walked into the coffee shop curious about the news. "Well," said Byungchan as Chan went to sit in front of him. "We got in touch with Lucas," he said. "And?" Asked Chan. "You can openly communicate with him now," said Byungchan. "Budapest is open to everyone while the rest of the country is open to hunters for communication," he said. "Good," said Chan. "I know that mostly hunters go through there anyway, so it's a nice change," he said.

"Do you have what we were asking for payment?" Asked Byungchan. "Other than the money? Yes," said Chan as he passed over a package. "It took me a long time to find a plushie of this dog breed but I found one," he said. "The Braque du Bourbonnais is a rare breed indeed," said Byungchan as he took the package. "Thank you," he added.

"I never thought that one of your hunters takes plushies as souvenirs to help keep his sanity when hunting," said Chan. "Well, we all have ways to cope with being something other than human," said Byungchan as he shrugged. "It just shows that we are still somewhat human in a way," he said. "Instead of the killers that we've become," he said. Chan nodded in understanding, turning his head to look out the window.