Epilogue

The New General

"It's just another day huh?" Asked Sejun as Byungchan walked into the Starbucks with Subin following behind him. "Yep, just another day," said Byungchan as he grinned in greeting. "Good to see you again Byungchan," said Yanan. Hyojong waved from his spot by the machines.

"Where's Yuto?" Asked Byungchan. "Taking a day off to spend with Sanha before he needs to head back to Germany," said Yanan. "Of course he is," said Byungchan. "They haven't seen each other in months, I don't blame them," said Sejun. "No, I'm not blaming them either but," Byungchan said, shrugging.

"The information network can do without him for a day," called Hoetaek as he leaned back in his chair. "I heard you had an amazing adventure," he said as Byungchan and Subin walked over and sat down in front of him. "It was exhausting, I don't know what you're talking about," said Byungchan. "It was nice to catch up with some of the others though," he added.

"Did anyone figure out your secret?" Asked Hoetaek. "Yes," said Byungchan. "I'm getting better at hiding it but most were able to figure it out immediately," he said. "It's not hard to figure out to be honest," said Subin. "We just ran into people who knew what to look for in terms of that," he added.

 

~



"You've really become a lot like me," said Seungwoo as he sat beside Byungchan who was sitting outside on the bench by the lake behind the pack house again. "How so?" Asked Byungchan as he turned his head to Seungwoo.

"You really fit the leader position," said Seungwoo. "I knew you'd be a decent leader, which was why I chose you as the next general," he said. "But you exceeded even my expectations," he said. "Really?" Asked Byungchan. Seungwoo nodded.

"Just like how I followed you, Subin is now following me," said Byungchan as he looked back out at the water. "I was expecting that," said Seungwoo. "I think he finally realized our relationship to each other," he said. "Family is everything to you," said Byungchan. "As it is to him apparently," he added. Seungwoo nodded.

"Does he even know yet?" Asked Byungchan. "No," said Seungwoo. "Do you want to tell him?" He asked. "I'm sure he'll figure it out someday," said Byungchan.

"Maybe he already has and hasn't bothered saying anything yet," came Subin's voice as he walked over with Seungsik. "To be fair, it made sense once I figured out why you were so protective over him, uncle," he said, sitting beside Seungwoo. Seungsik leaned against the bench, putting his hands in his jacket pockets as he looked out at the water.

"Family is everything to some people," said Subin. "I think to the three of us, it's come down to that," he said. "I never thought my half brother and nephew would become my protectors," said Byungchan, earning scoffs from both Seungwoo and Subin.

"Me I can understand," said Seungwoo. "But why did you start protecting him?" He asked Subin. "I think it's because I wanted to follow in your footsteps," said Subin. "I always looked up to you, and I guess this is the result," he said. "Does that even make sense?" He asked. "I think so," said Seungwoo.

"I think," said Seungsik. "That it's more you wanting to protect his beta status," he said after thinking it over. "Betas are vulnerable," he added. Byungchan let out an involuntary shiver at that, shaking his head when Seungwoo gave him a questioning look.

"Kris wants me to reveal my beta status," said Byungchan. "I don't think that's a good idea right now," said Seungwoo. "I told him that," said Byungchan. "Eventually it will come to us revealing it, but for now we need to keep it under wraps," he said.

 

~



"Jun," said Byungchan, causing Jun to turn around to look at Byungchan. "What?" Asked Jun before he paused, bowing apologetically. "Sorry," he said. "No need for the formalities," Byungchan said, scratching the back of his head.

"What did you need?" Asked Jun as he straightened, sizing up Byungchan as Byungchan seemed to pause at his words, judging him with a wary look. "I'm just here to make sure you're good with being here a while before you get dragged off by Chan again," said Byungchan.

Jun shook his head. "I'm fine," he said. "It's... Nice to spend time with Chan again," he said. "Yunho's been debriefing me on everything he's done, and Wontak said he'd be here soon to discuss more things with me," he said. "I hope Hanse hasn't been giving you much trouble, considering your occupation," said Byungchan. "No," said Jun. "Good," said Byungchan.

"Is that all?" Asked Jun. "For now," said Byungchan as he nodded before turning and walking away.

 

~



Something about Wontak showing up again after meeting Sunghyuk and the others brought a sense of apprehension to Byungchan. "I know you're here for Jun but is there anything new coming from Seongri or Sunghyuk?" Asked Byungchan. "No," said Wontak. "Nothing's going on right now," he said.

"Good," said Byungchan. "I know, you may think that something bad would've come out of that but trust me when I say this but things couldn't be anymore peaceful right now," he said. "Seongri actually sat down at Lucas' cafe and had a chat with Sunghyuk and they were able to come to a compromise," he said. "That's good," said Byungchan.

"They saw what your pack was doing with Chani and his coven and decided to run it the same way," said Wontak. "It's worked so far," said Byungchan. "We keep out of their way, and they stay out of ours," he said. "As long as we have access to their information network we're all good," he said. "And they have access to yours," said Wontak. Byungchan nodded.

"Got any coffee candies?" Asked Wontak. "Got any new plushies?" Asked Byungchan as he raised an eyebrow, earning a laugh from Wontak. "Not this time," said Wontak. "No worries," said Byungchan as he tossed a bag of coffee candy at Wontak who caught it. "Keep it," he said. "I owe you a few things," he said. Wontak nodded.

 

~



Byungchan stood in his room, looking around. "Still can't believe you're home huh?" Asked Subin as he walked into the room. "No," said Byungchan. "I'm still expecting to be sent out within the next hour or so," he said.

"I get it," said Subin. "It's been weeks and I'm still getting used to being home too," he said. "At least Seungsik is adjusting to being home again pretty well," he said. "Yeah," said Byungchan.

"Well," said Subin. "Let's make the most of the situation yeah?" He asked. "We probably won't be sent out again for a long time," he said. "Unless someone specifically asks for us," he added. Byungchan nodded.