Chapter 9

The New General

Byungchan looked up when he heard footsteps, spotting Yunho walking towards him. "What's up?" He asked. "I'm sorry about the rest of my packmates," said Yunho. "Hongjoong tends to say stuff without thinking of the consequences," he said.

Byungchan shook his head. "He had some fair points there," he said. "Don't worry about it," he said. "You guys are a part of the pack too, you do have a say in how things should be ran, Seungwoo tends to forget that fact," he said. "Speak up more next time," he said. "You'd be able to put in your input before Hongjoong can have any say in it," he said.

"Hongjoong doesn't trust my word on anything," said Yunho as he shook his head. "He does," said Byungchan. "As a hunter you have more say in most things than he does," he said. "Even if he's the leader of your sub pack," he said. "Talk it out between you two, I'm sure things will be fine," he said. Yunho nodded, turning and walking away after a few minutes. Byungchan let out a deep sigh, pushing away from the wall he was leaning against and walking the other direction.

 

~



Byungchan let out a sigh as he pushed away from the wall he was leaning against to face the cafe that was across the street from the hotel. "You haven't decided on going in yet huh?" Asked Subin as he walked over and stood beside Byungchan. "I'm thinking about it," said Byungchan. "I just don't know if it's safe enough to do so," he said.

"Seungsik says everything seems fine enough in there," said Subin. "But I don't want to just rush in in case he's wrong," he said. "Mhm," hummed Byungchan.

"One of these days someone will come out of the cafe and look for us," said Subin. "Yes," said Byungchan. "I think we'll have some time to explore the city first anyway," said Subin. "Just to see what we're dealing with," he added. "I don't think we're dealing with much," said Byungchan. "Just the occasional person coming through who has messages for Seongri or are looking for Lucas," he said.

"You know we haven't seen a single animal-human here, other than Lucas anyway," said Subin. "It's odd," agreed Byungchan. "But I'm sure there's a reason for it," he said.

 

~



"Byungchan," said Hongjoong, causing Byungchan to turn around to face said person. "What's up?" Asked Byungchan. "I'm sorry," said Hongjoong. "For what?" Asked Byungchan. "Pretty much attacking you just for one decision that Seungwoo had the final say in," said Hongjoong. Byungchan shook his head. "No worries," he said. Hongjoong blinked in confusion.

"You had fair points for the argument," said Byungchan. "I wouldn't have made myself general either," he said. "Due to my beta status," he added. "But I'm doing what I can to keep people from finding out," he said. "Most don't even know of my beta status anyway," he said. "You have a point," said Hongjoong.

"It will become public soon I'm sure," said Byungchan. "But for now I'm content with the fact that no one knows," he said. "Right," hummed Hongjoong.

 

~



Seungsik returned from a hunt, looking at the cafe in front of him as he looked up at the sign. "Hm," he hummed, before deciding to enter the cafe, being greeted by the smell of coffee and humans. There was a distinct undercurrent of the wolf smell that was permeating off of one of the people standing at the counter so Seungsik assumed it was someone in Lucas's pack.

"Oh, you showed up then?" Asked the person at the counter. "Kun I'm guessing?" Asked Seungsik. "Nah, I'm Xiaojun," said Xiaojun. "Lucas said you'd show up one of these days, what do you need?" He asked. "I'm looking to set up a meeting with Seongri," said Seungsik. "That would be something for Lucas to do," said Xiaojun. "Let me call him down," he said, turning around and grabbing the walkie talkie off the counter behind him. Seungsik nodded and went to sit down.

"Lucas you got a visitor," Xiaojun said into the walkie. "I'll be over in a few minutes, get the usual for them," came Lucas's voice. "Will do," said Xiaojun before he put the walkie down and went to make a coffee for Seungsik.

 

~



"Jongho," said Byungchan as he walked over. "What's up?" Asked Jongho as he turned to look at Byungchan. "How are things with you?" Asked Byungchan. "Seungwoo asked me to check on everyone, you especially after Jinyoung had announced that the youngest in his subpack had to leave for personal reasons," he said.

"Honestly?" Asked Jongho. Byungchan nodded. "I'm doing fine," said Jongho. "There's been some stress lately since everything happened with Minseok but," he said, shrugging. "The others, Wooyoung and Yunho especially, have been looking out for me," he said. "That's good," said Byungchan. "When Seungwoo found out that Minseok left for personal reasons he had to make sure everyone was fine," he said. "I understand that," said Jongho.

"Not everyone is cut out for what he was doing," said Byungchan. "Yep," hummed Jongho. "I worry for Yunho sometimes though," he said. "And now MK," he added. "Because of their professions," said Byungchan. "Pretty much," said Jongho. "I want to care for Yunho as the others want to for MK on Jinyoung's side of the pack," he said.

 

~



"You finally showed up huh?" Asked Lucas as he sat down in front of Seungsik who fiddled with the coffee cup in front of him. "Yep," said Seungsik. "Though Byungchan has been scouting the city in hopes of finding Seongri before I talk to you," he said. Lucas shook his head as he chuckled in amusement.

"You won't find Seongri here," said Lucas. "He doesn't even live in this city," he said. "He never comes to the city unless he's been summoned," he added. "He knows you hunt here though," he said. "I'm surprised you haven't been caught yet," he said, earning a raised eyebrow from Seungsik.

"I don't hunt humans," said Seungsik. "Are you sure? There's been a rash of disappearances lately," said Lucas. "You sure it's not you?" He asked. "I'm positive," said Seungsik. "I always leave the city to hunt animals," he said. "i know better than to hunt humans, Subin and Byungchan have a standing kill on sight order once word gets out that I started hunting humans," he said. Lucas hummed in response.

"So about that meeting?" Asked Seungsik. "You'll get a response from me in the next few days," said Lucas. "I'd have to ask Seongri if he's up for meeting you in the city or not," he said. "I also have Yeosang's message to deliver to him, along with Wontak's," he added. "So I'll kill two birds with one stone," he said.

Seungsik nodded, getting up and leaving his coffee on the table. "I'll be going then," he said. "Thank you," he added. "Come back in a few days, you'll have your answer," he said. "Alright," said Seungsik as he left, heading back to the hotel.

"You think it's him?" Asked Xaojun as Lucas examined the coffee cup. "No," said Lucas. "If it was the mark would be acting up again," he said, reaching up and rubbing the near invisible mark on the back of his neck. "Leave him be for now," he said, taking the cup of coffee to the backroom.

 

~



"Wooyoung," said Byungchan. "What's up?" Asked Wooyoung as he didn't look up from washing the dishes. "How's the anger?" Asked Byungchan. "A bit more manageable now that I have more control over the alpha aura I absorbed," said Wooyoung as he shrugged. "Good, Seungwoo's thinking of sending you into Europe again," said Byungchan, earning a sigh from Wooyoung.

"Who's coming with me?" Asked Wooyoung as he turned to Byungchan and handed him a plate. Byungchan grabbed a towel and started drying it before putting it up, taking the next plate and doing the same. "I don't know," he said, as he continued to dry the dishes that Wooyung would hand him. "But we'll see when he needs you," he said.

"Is Yunho okay?" Asked Wooyoung as he turned to Byungchan after they finished washing and drying the dishes, with Byungchan putting the last dishes away. "Yeah," said Byungchan as he turned to Wooyoung. "Why?" He asked. "I dunno, he seems more... Mentally exhausted after every mission he comes back from now," said Wooyoung. "Just keep an eye on him okay?" He asked. "Sure," said Byungchan. "I'll let Wontak know he may need a longer break too," he added. "Thanks," said Wooyoung.

 

~



"He'll be here in a few days huh?" Asked Byungchan once they got the news that Seongri would come to the city to speak with them. "Yeah," said Subin. "Let's prepare for this meeting then," said Seungsik as he nodded.

"Also," said Byungchan. "You sure it's not you hunting the humans in the city?" He asked. "I swear," said Seungsik. "I think only another vampire would be able to tell," he added. "So we can ask Seongri," he said. "Just making sure," said Byungchan. "I know," said Seungsik.