Chapter 14

The New General

Something about being here was setting Yunho off, and it was bothering Byungchan. Byungchan tried to reassure Yunho that nothing was going to happen here, but Yunho wasn't having any of it. Yunho had been acting weird since meeting Kiwon and Byungchan was determined to get to the bottom of it. As soon as he was done negotiating with Sunghyuk anyway. He doubted that would end well, considering the way even Seungsik seemed to be behaving around Seongri in general.

"Yunho," said Byungchan. "Calm down will you?" He asked. "I-," Yunho said, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes for a minute to force his nerves down, "-sorry," he said. "I know I shouldn't be acting this way, but I feel like this is all a trap," he said. "Someone's going to die and it's one of you three," he said. "They won't touch me because I'm a hunter but," he said, sighing again.

"Just focus," said Byungchan, putting his hands on Yunho's shoulders and forcing Yunho to look at him in the eyes. "It's okay," he said. "We'll get through this, one way or another," he said. "No one is going to die on my watch," he said. "Now excuse me while I go pep talk the other two," he said, moving away from Yunho and going to find Seungsik and Subin. Yunho took a deep breath, shaking his head as he watched Byungchan go.

 

~



"You really think Yunho's right with his intuition?" Asked Subin. "Nothing will happen, granted we play our cards right," said Byungchan. "If Seungwoo was here it'd be slightly easier but," he said, scratching the back of his head.

"Should ask him to come over," said Subin. "And leave Toronto undefended?" Asked Byungchan. "Sure Chani and his coven are there, as are Sejun, Hanse, Chan and Wooseok but," he said, sighing a bit. "No, it's not happening," he said. "I need to prove to him that I can do this myself," he said.

"Not when you're going to be in danger," said Subin. "Seungwoo will understand if you call for him for that reason," he said. "He was the one who rescued us those times before," he added, blinking when Byungchan shivered at a particularly unpleasant memory. "I don't know," said Byungchan. "Plus I'd have to get permission from Seongri," he said. "For Seungwoo to show up here at least," he added.

"It'd help Seungsik," said Subin. "You're starting to believe Seongri?" Asked Byungchan. "I don't want anymore instances with humans disappearing," said Subin. "My alpha aura can only do so much," he said. "I'll consider it," said Byungchan. "No guarantees though, if Seongri says no," he said. Subin nodded. Byungchan shook his head and went to find Seungsik.

 

~



Seungsik and Seongri were just returning from a hunt when Byungchan approached them, his relaxed stance telling Seungsik that there was nothing wrong yet. "Can Seungwoo come over?" Asked Byungchan as he looked at Seongri. "For what reason?" Asked Seongri. "I feel like this would go smoother if we had the previous general here," he said. Seongri nodded. "Invite him," he said. "I'll let you two have a talk," he said before heading inside.

"What?" Asked Seungsik as Byungchan turned his attention to him. "Will you lie to me?" Asked Byungchan. "No," said Seungsik. "Are you sure about that?" Asked Byungchan. "Have I ever lied to you before?" Asked Seungsik.

"Tell me then, are you the one killing the humans?" Asked Byungchan. "Why are you asking?" Asked Seungsik. "Because one, Kiwon claims to have some proof," said Byungchan. "And two, you remember our little agreement that was made?" He asked. "I don't want to have to force this to come true but you're pushing it," he said.

"Until the proof comes forward I'm not admitting to anything," said Seungsik. "Fine, be that way," said Byungchan. "When Seungwoo gets here he'll get the truth out of you," he said, turning and walking back inside, bumping shoulders with Kiwon who was about to walk outside to see what was taking so long.

 

~



"You want me to come over?" Asked Seungwoo once Byungchan got into a call with him. "Yes," said Byungchan. "Subin had some fair points, they'd listen if you were here," he said. Seungwoo sighed. "I can't guarantee coming over," he said. "I'll see if Kris will allow it but don't expect a visit until I come back with word about it," he said. "Got it," said Byungchan.

"How are you holding up by the way?" Asked Seungwoo, changing the subject. "Surprisingly well," said Byungchan. "Some stuff with Seungsik is about to piss me off to no end but other than that, well," he said, shrugging.

"He's going through another one of those phases huh?" Asked Seungwoo. Byungchan nodded. "I'll use that as leverage to come over," said Seungwoo. "I'm surprised you haven't killed him yet," he said. "There's no proof, yet," said Byungchan. "It's why we've taken so long to do something," he said.

"I'll talk to Kris," said Seungwoo. "You'll get your confirmation on whether I can come over or not in a few days, hang in there," he said. "Thanks, hyung," said Byungchan as he waved before hanging up.

"What'd he say?" Asked Subin as he poked his head in the door a few minutes later. "Seungwoo doesn't know if Kris will allow it, but we'll see," said Byungchan as he turned around in his chair to face Subin. "I think he will, if this involves Seungsik and our agreement," said Subin as he stepped into the room, closing the door behind him before facing Byungchan.

"It would seem so," said Byungchan. "He told us to not get our hopes up though," he said. "Worse comes to worse Sejun comes over again," he said. "Along with Hanse and Chan," he added. "Seungwoo's too important to send out this soon," he said.

"You can handle it," said Subin. "I know," said Byungchan. "It just takes patience," he said, shaking his head. "Patience I know you have," said Subin. "I'm one of the best trackers Jinyoung's ever had," said Byungchan. "Of course I have patience," he said.

"We can do this," said Subin. "I know," said Byungchan, looking up at Subin who could see how tired Byungchan really was with the situation at hand in his eyes. "One hell of a first mission am I right?" Asked Subin. Byungchan scoffs. "Yep," he said, leaning back in the chair with a sigh.