Arguing Upgraded To Bantering

The Beauty of Senses ~ Inuyasha X Reader

After a while, I feel the wind slightly picking up, but it still feels soothing. I noticed that he has started to slow down, the walking stick is aiming downwards at his end. The gravel ground has turned into grass beneath our feet, the sun is still shining down.

It's quiet and peaceful, then I realized that Inuyasha has stopped walking. I stop as well.

"Where are we?" I ask him.

Nothing, no response, just the wind. I tug lightly on the walking stick to get his attention.

"Earth to Inuyasha? Are you still here?" I ask again.

"Huh? Oh... we're at the cliff." He answers back slightly dazed.

"Why the cliff? You planning on pushing me off the cliff?" I ask him confused with a slight chuckle.

"Because I come here to rest in the tree." He replies back.

"Tree? You mean the single tree that is by itself?" I add.

"Ya, the one that you were whacking at yesterday before you fell off the cliff." Inuyasha snorts.

I frown, so he was awake when I whacked the tree yesterday. which means technically he could have prevented me from walking to the edge of the cliff... but he didn't.

"So... you could have jumped down from the tree and prevented me from walking to the edge of the cliff but you didn't. Thanks." I mutter.

"Hey, I was sleeping when you woke me up with your whacking. It was irritating, I thought you were someone who was bored so I ignored you. Then I saw you walking towards the cliff without stopping, that's when I decided to intervene." He answers.

I want to say something but then I feel him tugging me along to the side, I follow after him. Then he stops. I then hear him jumping and then the rustling of branches above me, the walking stick drops onto the ground on his end. Did he just jump into the tree?

"Did you just leave me down here by myself?" I ask him.

"Ya I did. Just walk forward, the tree trunk is in front of you. You can rest down there and I'll rest up here, we'll both have our private space for a while." He says from above me.

I let out a hmph and walk forward slowly, put my hands out and no sooner wood surface comes in contact with my palm. I then turn around and sit down and lean my back against the tree trunk, the cool wind feels nice. I open up my bundle of art supplies and take out my charcoal stick and paper, I "look" out but I realize that I don't know how to start. I know there's a cliff, and a tree... but what else? I tilt my head up, but then I remember that Inuyasha is sitting in the tree. Perhaps...

"Hey Inuyasha?" I say.

"What?" He replies with a grumble.

"Guess you're not asleep yet. If you don't mind, can you tell me what our surroundings look like? I want to get a grasp so I can at least put my charcoal onto the paper." I ask him.

There's a brief silence, but then I hear him let out a sigh. It must not be a tall tree if I can hear him sighing.

"A few meters in front of us is a cliff, green grass covers the ground all around us as far as the eyes can see. In the distance are mountain ranges of different heights, a stream runs below. A single tree stands in the green field. Birds are flying in the sky with white clouds." He explains to me in a calm tone.

I smile at the description that he has given me, although simple but I can imagine myself seeing such scenery. I'm thankful that he complied, not to mention he actually sounds...normal for once.

"Thanks Inuyasha." I say to him.

"Ya, well I'm going to take my nap now, you can do whatever. Let me know when you're ready to leave." He says.

"Alright." I reply back.

No sooner I can hear him snoring, he must be pretty tired. I feel my paper again and I begin to draw out what he has told me about the place, I draw out the mountains, the stream, and the cliff, the grass on the ground. In a few minutes I finish it, I take out another sheet and I draw it from a different angle, what everything would look like from the other side. Time goes by, I almost seem to be lost in my own little world. I drew about 4 pictures each in different perspectives, different tones and styles. I have plenty of paper so I'm not afraid to use them. After a while I stretch my back and lean my head back against the tree trunk, I tilt my head up and close my eyes. I can feel the late afternoon sun shining down accompanied with a gentle cool breeze, it's lulling me into a slumber. Perhaps I can use a nap as well, we can head back after we both wake up. With that, I let my mind drift off with the wind and I fall asleep. I totally forgot if Inuyasha is still snoring away or not. When I come too, the cool air grazes against my skin causing me to slightly shiver. I don't feel the strength of the sunlight anymore so I assume it's evening by now, I stretch my arms and sit up. I take a deep breath and let out a quiet sigh, I smile, that was a good nap. I guess it's time for us to return back to the village before the sun completely goes down, the plains can be cold at night especially with winter coming around. I tilt my head up to call Inuyasha, I open my mouth...

"Kago...."

I stop mid track, it's Inuyasha's voice. Is he sleep talking? If so wow, that is something to about later. But that aside, he sounded... sad. He said "Kago" it doesn't sound like a complete word the way he said it, he trailed off before he finished. Kago? Well, Kago means "basket" so was he trying to say "basket" before he trailed off? Why is he saying basket? Does he want a basket? Why does he sound like he's in pain when he said it? Did he lose a favourite basket of his or something? I better wake him up before he mumbles something else that I could use to .

"Inuyasha, time to wake up, the sun is going down." I call out to him.

"....uh? Huh?" I hear him shifting with a mumble.

Ya, he sounds quite out of it. I pack up my art supplies and pick up my walking stick, I use the tree as a balance as I stand up.

"Let's go Inuyasha, is evening now. Let's head back before it completely goes dark." I say to him again.

"Ya I heard you the first time, besides what are you scared of. I'm a demon." He tells me.

I hear him jump down onto the ground beside me with a whoosh of the air and a "hmmph" as he lands.

"It's not that I'm scared, I realize that as a demon you don't have a strong sense of pain or sense of heat or coldness. Well reality check, I'm a human. I don't want to stay out here in the open field where the night's air might give me a chill if I stay too long. Now shall we?" I say to him sticking out my tongue.

I hear him grumble but then picks up the other end of my walking stick, like before, he walks ahead tugging me along after him. The grass rustles beneath us and brushes against the bottom of our kimonos. No words are said as we walk through the evening field for a while.

"So did you manage to draw something in those few hours?" Inuyasha asks randomly.

"I did thanks to your description." I respond back.

"Don't tell me you only drew one picture only based on my description." He adds on.

"What kind of artist do you take me for? I did about 4 sketches all in different perspectives." I say to him with huff, he's looking down at me.

"4? Not bad." He adds clearing his throat.

"Isn't it? An artist has to have a constant mind filled with imaginations and ideas, it keeps our mind going. It's like breathing, you have to constantly do it or else your mind and body shuts down and you die. Running out of ideas and imaginations is an artist's death basically. Not just for artists, a person who writes books too. If they have nothing to write about anymore, they're basically finished. You understand what I'm saying?" I explain to him.

There's a brief silence as we just walked.

"Ya, I suppose I understand what you are saying." He replies in a quiet tone.

"Wow, I'd expect you to say something that would tick me off." I say with a chuckle.

"I'm not a bad guy alright?" Inuyasha grumbles.

"Did you rest well?" I ask him.

"Ya, I suppose. He answers back flatly.

"You know you were sleep talking before I woke you up." I tell him.

I feel the walking stick jolt a little as I said that, did I witness an embarrassing aspect of his?

"What did I say?" He asks me sounding flustered.

"Nothing much, you said "Kago" and trailed off, not to mention you sounded sad. Did you lose a special basket or something?" I ask him with a chuckle.

There's another brief silence, the atmosphere suddenly felt solemn. My smile slowly faded from my face, I gently tug on the walking stick to get his attention.

"Inuyasha?" I say his name.

"No, it's nothing. I was probably over tired that I just blurt out something while sleeping. You better not tease me about it." Inuyasha quickly replies with a huff.

"Uh....Alright." I say slowly.

Inuyasha sounded sad, almost melancholic. He's hiding something from me I can tell and feel it by the way he talks and from his tone of voice. The brief silences tells me the same thing, he seemed deep in thought. The word that he said... I don't think it's just a random word, I think it's something more. He sounded slightly flustered, and tried to go back to his usual brash personality at the end. I decide to let it be, perhaps he can tell me what it is one day on his own. The rest of the way back was quiet, Shippo and Miroku came back, Sango has prepared dinner for all of us. I feel bad for not helping out but she insists that its fine, it makes her feel like a grandmother.

"So what did you and Inuyasha do today?" Miroku asks me.

"Inuyasha took me around town and told me where everything else, I have a grasp on the road. He took me to a cliff not far from the village and the two of us took a rest there, I drew some sketches of the scenery thanks to Inuyasha's description. We stayed there for a few hours and came back." I told them about our day.

"I see, looks like you and Inuyasha are starting to get along." Sango adds with relief in her voice.

"Ya... well... we're still getting there, but I think our argument has diminished a little and became....less aggressive?" I say with a chuckle.

"Still better than nothing, I thought Inuyasha will keep antagonizing everyone." Shippo says with a laugh.

"Shut it." Inuyasha grumbles.

I hear a "whack." It surprised me slightly.

"OW! Stop hitting me!" Shippo yells.

"Then stop saying stupid things." Inuyasha fires back with an irritated tone.

Poor Shippo, but I feel relieved to hear that Inuyasha is back to his usual impulsive behaviour again. I let out a mental smile, you know It's kind of weird not seeing Inuyasha the way he is now. Probably because I'm use to him being like this and not the quiet him. After dinner, we had tea time together. When the night goes deeper we finally decide to all turn in.

"Let's go." Inuyasha says.

"I don't want you to guide me, I want to try to get to my hut on my own." I say to him.

"Are you serious? You only walked their once and with Sango guiding you. You're probably going to walk into beam." He says with a huff.

I "glare" at him. My memories aren't that bad.

"Well I'm going to try anyway, I'm going to have to get use to it because eventually you're not going to be my unofficial eyes forever, well, then again I'll be gone too. I'm just trying to speed up your job so you can be....relieved of it." I say to him.

Inuyasha doesn't say anything, but then I hear him let out a sigh.

"Fine, go ahead." He grumbles sounding like he gave up.

I hold tightly onto my walking stick and I begin to walk forward while tapping it onto the ground, I try to think back on the directions. Alright I remember walking forward for a few meters, then we turned right. Everything seem to be alright, haven't bumped into anything so far. I think I got about halfway , but then my memory start to fail me. I stop and I begin to ponder. Is it right? Or was it left? If it's left how much further should I walk? I begin to grip my walking stick with slight frustration, but then someone picks up the other end of it and lifts it up. I raise my eyebrows in surprise.

"You're almost there." I hear Inuyasha say next to me.

He was following behind me the whole time, guess he noticed that I was stuck. Like the past day he guides me with the walking stick between us, he heads to the left and we continue walking for a good 80 steps then he stops. He drops my walking stick and it lands on the ground.

"We're here." He finally says.

"Thanks for helping me out, guess I over believed my ability to remember the way." I say to him slightly embarrassed.

"Ya you did...but I suppose I should give you some credit, you managed to get to third base, it's just at the end that you needed a hand to get to home base." He says.

"Thanks. Say, what is third base and home base?" I ask him confused of the terms.

"Uh... It's nothing. Forget what I said. Anyway I'll see you tomorrow." He says slightly flustered again.

"Ya...alright...see you tomorrow. Thanks again Inuyasha." I say to him clearing my throat afterwards finding it still a bit awkward to thank him.

"Sure, don't bump into the door when you go inside." Inuyasha adds before walking away.

I furrow my brows in annoyance,  we were about to end the day off on a decent note, why Inuyasha why? But I let it slide. I listen till his footsteps fade away, that's when I turn around and head towards my hut. I wash up thanks to the new basin of clean water that Sango prepared for me, I shed my kimono and I head to bed. I close my eyes as I can hear the faint chirps of crickets outside, today was alright. Inuyasha and I are still on a rocky road but I think we made some progress, I'm actually glad to have Inuyasha guide me a little, the two of us banter, but we are capable of a normal conversation. Also, I realized that Inuyasha seems troubled somehow. He seems to be hiding something, unspoken feelings, but I can tell by the way he talks and from the tone. I suppose this is a gift, being able to detect when something is up. I kind of want to spend time with Inuyasha, not because I necessarily want to, but because I want to understand him a bit I guess? I wonder if I can get him to trust me in the future so that he can tell me what is bothering him. I suppose, the first step is to get pass the arguing phase of our bonding. I let my mind trail off and I drift off into sleep. When I come to, I can feel the morning sun coming through again from the window. I sit up and stretch, I open my eyes and I see nothing. I feel the ground beside me and I wash up, I dress in my kimono and I grab my walking stick, like yesterday I head out the door. The sunlight laces my skin the moment I open my door, before I step out I begin to see if I can grasp onto a presence or not, and I do kind of.

"Are you sitting down in front of me Inuyasha?" I ask out in the open.

There's a brief silence, but then I hear a quiet "hmph."

"I was expecting you to jab your walking stick into my back again." He responds.

I roll my eyes, guess he's back to the usual him now.

"After yesterday, I wouldn't want to fall on you again and tumble head first onto the ground. But you know, I wouldn't mind jabbing you in the again, I need to stretch out my arm muscles a little." I say with a grin.

I hear him do a raspberry, but then grabs my walking stick on the other end.

"If you're done, let's go. I'm hungry." He says.

I hot back a quiet chuckle, he tugs on the walking stick and I follow after him. Another day with Inuyasha, and another day of arguing and bantering. But I do have to say, our arguments have upgraded to bantering...which I think is an improvement. Funny.