Gentle Warmth In The Merciless Coldness

The Beauty of Senses ~ Inuyasha X Reader

When I come to, I can hear splattering somewhere far. What is it, is it rain? It's raining? I try to get get up but I can't, I then remember that my arms and legs are bound together. I'm weak all over and I'm shivering still, my whole body is so numb I can barely feel it. My throat feels like it's on fire, I'm indeed sick now. The demon doesn't sound like he's near, is he out hunting again? Whatever it is, I feel at peace being alone, perhaps this is my fate.

"Was leaving my village a wrong choice? If I didn't leave my home village, I wouldn't be here right now. In this situation." I say to myself.

No, it was not. Because if I never left my village I would have never fallen in love, I would have never gotten to know someone as special as Inuyasha. I close my eyes and let my tears flow down my face, because I don't know how much longer I can hold on before I die. I tuck my head closer to my chest along with my knees to keep my body warm, it's the only last thing that I can do for myself. I lose my consciousness again. I then hear heavy footsteps coming towards me, I want to move but I can't. I stir and let out a groan, who can this be? My ears are slightly ringing and the sound of the heavy rain falls outside, I feel my heart pounding faster I don't want the footsteps to come any closer. As it draws near, I can hear faint chimes of a bell. I gasp as I feel a swoosh of the air above me.

"_____________!" A loud voice says.

It's different, it doesn't sound like that demon, it's someone else, a voice that I know. Also, this person knows my name.

"I finally found you! What has happened to you?" The person says again with worry and concern in their voice.

It's a man's voice, a heavy and low voice, could it be? I then feel strong hands untying the binds restraining my hands and feet, my limbs are finally free. I immediately move my hands but my dominant hand refuses to move. I feel strong arms propping me up, I hear fabrics rustling and then something is draped over me, it feels like silk cloth, and how warm it feels. Is it his kimono top? He then pulls me into his chest and I rest my head against his bare shoulder, I can feel the warmth radiating off of his skin. I feel long thick hair brushing against my face, his arms holds me to him and I breathe in heavily. I can smell a strong scent from him, a familiar scent that I haven't paid attention to in a while.

"Hang in there______________, I'll get you back to the village as soon as I can. There's blood all over your arm, what happened to you..." He says grinding his teeth.

I feel safe now, I feel warm, no more coldness and numbness. I can hear his voice again, I never thought that I would again but here I am. But why is he here? I'm so close to him that I can hear the faint heartbeat of his through his bare chest, it's slightly out of rhythm.

"Inuyasha?" I manage to say his name.

"Ya it's me, don't say anymore and save your strength." He tells me.

I then hear the chimes of the bell again, it rings a few times. He's here? He's actually here.

"Why are you here?" I can't help but ask.

"Geez listen for once, you have t... seems like whoever did this to you is back. Stay right here, I'll be back as soon as I finish with this feline demon." Inuyasha says lowering me gently back down onto the ground.

He doesn't take his top kimono, I want to reach up and grab his hand but I can't.

"Don't go...". I breathe out.

I feel him loom over slightly, then his left hand comes up and caresses my face. Inuyasha is such a brash and impatient person, but his hand feels so gentle right now. The warmth of his hand flows through the skin of my face. He has never done this before, he also rejected me so why?

"I promise, I'll be back to get you, just wait for me alright? You said that you'll wait for me, so, please wait for me this one last time. Don't you dare die on me." Inuyasha says softly.

That's right, I did tell him that, I said that I would wait for him as long as he asks, and he did. So I will, I nod back in response. He has found me, and he saved me. He's asking this one thing from me so I will. I then feel his hand slide away from my face slowly, his long nails glides on my skin.

"Good, I'm going to kill whatever this demon is and make him pay for what he has done to you." I hear him say with slight anger in his voice.

I couldn't fully reply, I use the hand that is still mobile to hold his kimono close to me, it feels so warm and comforting. I then feel his presence leave, his footsteps follows. I hear a low growl from him and then nothing, the faint sound of his footsteps squishes in the wet snow outside accompanied by the rain. I close my eyes and wait for Inuyasha, with the strength that I have left I'll wait for him. I don't know how long time has passed but when I come to, I can feel a presence looming over me again, gentle hands caresses both sides of my face. I can feel the heat radiating off of this person, and their long wet hair dripping rain water onto my arm.

"I'm back_____________, come on, I'm going to take you back to the village." I hear them say.

I feel their arms going under my knees and behind my back as they lift me up into their arms, my head rests against their chest again. The kimono is still covering me, I can hear their heavy breathing above me. The familiar scent fills my nose, he's back.

"Inuyasha you're back..." I say quietly.

"Ya I'm back, thanks for waiting. You don't need to wait anymore, I'm here now." He responds softly.

I nod and close my eyes, I feel truly peaceful now, I don't feel afraid because Inuyasha is here. I feel his nose glide against my brow gently, how intimate it feels. I don't have the strength to hold onto him but I don't have to worry about falling, because Inuyasha's strong arms holds me close to him. I feel him stand up and then walk out of the cave, I feel the rain pouring down still the moment we exit out of the cave.

"What happened to the demon?" I ask him.

"I made sure that that feline won't go hunting for anyone else again. I'm going to run, hold on to my robe so you'll stay warm." He tells me.

I nod slowly, I feel his hands grip tighter to my body and then, the wind picks up. The shorts strands of my hair brushes against my face as I hear his footsteps racing across the melting snow beneath us, his breath is steady but heavy as he runs. I hold tightly to his kimono robe that is covering me, I close my eyes as I rest against him. I have so many questions in my mind, but I don't have the strength to ask him. The chimes of the bell fills the area around us as he runs, it's above my head. Is he wearing the necklace? Soon, I black out again. I feel cool liquid sliding down my throat, ah, how refreshing. It quenches my blazing thirst, gentle fingers are keeping my mouth slightly open so I can drink. After the liquid stops flowing down my throat, the same fingers wipes away the liquid near my mouth.

"Do you need more water?" A low voice asks me from above and behind me.

I realize that I'm leaning against something sturdy, my back feels warm and so does my front. Light silk like strands brushes against my bare collarbone, I feel arms on each side of me as if encasing me within them. I can hear breathing above.

"Inuyasha..." I say his name weakly.

"Ya I'm right here." He replies back to me.

"Where are we?" I ask him.

I don't feel the raindrops anymore or the wind against my skin, we're somewhere dry and we're both sitting down with me leaning against his chest. I feel him gently tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear, how different it feels than the demon's.

"Do you remember the cave that I told you that day at the sea? Where inside the cave now, the leopard's den was pretty far from the village, it's night time now. It's better for you to get some rest before we set off again, it's still raining. If you get drenched anymore your health will worsen." He tells me.

"I see... why are you here?" I finally ask him.

He doesn't reply back for a few seconds, but I can hear his quiet breathing.

"I had a wake up call, and I realized what I have been pushing away." He finally says quietly.

"What do you mean?" I ask him confused.

"I read your letter, Shippo, Sango, and Miroku had a serious talk with me too and I realized that I have pushed away the only person who could save me from my past, and someone whom has become important to me." He explains to me.

I feel my heart beat faster, but I tell myself to calm down. I turn my head to the left so that I can feel closer to his face, indeed I can feel his breath against my cheek.

"You finding me and saving me... it all feels like a dream. Are you really here?" I ask him not believing what is going on due to the amount of blood that I've lost.

"You don't have to worry, this isn't a dream. I'm here. See?" He says.

I then hear the chimes of the bell next to me from his neck area, he is indeed wearing it. I close my eyes and smile.

"You're wearing it. I'm so glad." I say softly.

"I am. You said that whenever you hear the bell. You know that I'm not far away, right now I'm right next to you. Here, I found this." He tells me.

He gently takes my wrist on my not injured hand, he then ties something around it. Chimes of a bell fills the space.

"Is this?" I ask him surprised.

"Ya, it's your bracelet. I found it by the stream, I caught the scent of your blood and followed it to the den. Thank goodness I got to you before you got worse. After having that wake up call, I realized just how important the necklace is. It wasn't just a gift, it's a link between to people, a symbolism of a special bond. I like to believe that you and I are linked together with these. I'm sorry___________, for hurting you." Inuyasha says.

"Thank you for finding me Inuyasha, but you rejected me... so I still don't quite understand." I tell him.

I hear him let out a gentle chuckle, he then holds both of my hands in his big warm ones.

"Looks like you're out of it from the amount of blood lost. Guess I'll just have to tell you when we get back, get some rest for now. Hold on a bit more. We'll be back at the village soon. I'll tell you everything, I won't leave you again. And you don't need to wait for me anymore." He tell me softly.

I want to keep asking but I comply, I'm still weak and I'm sick. I lean my head back against his chest, I feel him brush his nose gently against my cheek again and rests his chin on top of my head. I feel my heart getting lighter at that intimate feeling, he holds me tightly to him and I soon fall asleep with his warmth accompanying me. It's been days since I rested peacefully, but I can finally now with Inuyasha's warmth. Whatever he has to say, I'll wait till we get back. I can hear faint chimes, what is it? My mind feels hazy and my head is spinning, how long have I been out? I try to move my head slightly but then something warm cups my cheek gently.

"____________, are you awake now?" A man's voice asks me.

Inuyasha? That's Inuyasha's voice, I open my eyes slowly but as always, I can't see anything. I try to sit up but I'm still pretty weak but I think I'm strong enough to do that.

"Here." Inuyasha says helping me to sit up.

I get up with a groan, I feel my dominant wrist wrapped in cloth. I can't move them, Im still shivering slightly guess my cold hasn't fully disappeared yet, but it's not cold anymore. I'm wearing something now.

"Where are we?" I ask him.

"We're back in your hut at the village. You've been out for 2 days, we were all worried. Sango and Miroku did their best to patch up your wrist and ankle, but it will be a while till it fully recovers. Here, eat up." He explains to me.

My eyes flickers upwards and they begin to wonder around, why is he here with me? I want him to tell me what he told me before I passed out. I feel something against my lips, it smells good. I realized how hungry I am, I open my mouth and something enters my mouth, I close my mouth and I suppose Inuyasha's hand pulls the spoon out of my mouth. I can taste rice and grilled meat inside, I close my eyes and savour the flavour. I chew a few times and swallow.

"Have you been here the whole time?" I ask him quietly.

"Ya, I wanted to be here till you wake up." He replies just as soft.

"Why? And why did you come looking for me when you told me to leave?" I ask him confused.

I hear him let out a sigh.

"Guess I could't blame you for asking. The reason that I went looking for you and staying here by your side is because I realized that I've come to love you, and I didn't want to lose another person that has became important to me." Inuyasha finally says.

My eyes goes wide as I hear him say that. Love? He loves me? But...

"Love me? But you told me that you regretted meeting me and found me a nuisance. You wanted me to leave the village." I ask him.

"Yes I did say that....but I had my reasons...if you will listen and believe me." Inuyasha says going quiet slightly at the end.

I let out a dumbstruck "uh", but then I smile. I'll listen to whatever you have to say since it's about the two of us. He said that he loves me, I want to hear the reasons as to why he said all the things that he said.

"Alright, I'll listen to everything you have to say and I'll do my best to understand it. I reply to him with a smile.

I hear Inuyasha let out a loud exhale and then inhale again.

"Although everything that I said to you has been said, but in the end they were all lies. Well in the beginning yes I did find you annoying, but then as we spent more time together those thoughts faded away and I became grateful to you. What I said about not being able to move on from Kagome, yes I wasn't able to at first but you eventually helped me. Little by little. The reason why I said all of those things to you was because I realized that I have fallen in love with you, I already lost Kikyo and Kagome, I didn't want to fall in love with you and then lose you one day. When you told me that you have fallen in love with me I was shocked, I wished that you didn't because the feelings that I tried to suppress would take over me. You were only staying for Winter, a few months, I told myself that it will go by fast. But guess it didn't hold out. I didn't want to lose you so I said all those mean things to you, so that you will leave and move on from me, and hopefully I can let you go as well. During the trip I wondered if what I did was right, my mind was clouded with doubt. Then when I read your letter and saw the bell that you left behind, and also having a earful from Sango and Shippo...and then having Miroku join in. I got a wake up call and realized that I might be letting the only person that I have allowed myself to love after years of lost disappear forever, so I went searching for you. I wanted to make sure that you were at least alright, but didn't imagine that rejecting you like this for my own selfishness, has put you in danger and close to death. I'm sorry for that." Inuyasha says with sadness in his voice.

I listened to every word that he said, I feel an ache in my heart after hearing him. He actually fell in love with me just as I did him, but he didn't want to accept my feelings afraid that he will eventually lose me just like he lost Kagome and Kikyo as time goes on. Although he says that he loves me, but guess some of my words didn't really go to him. I pout at him slightly.

"Why are you apologizing? It doesn't seem like you. I prefer the loud and brash Inuyasha better." I say to him.

"I'm being serious alright?! I'm trying to tell you my feelings after years of not loving someone else, don't change the subject." Inuyasha replies with a grumble.

I smile and I unconsciously lift my dominant hand to touch his face. I touch his neck first, the bell rings gently. Then I slide my hand up until I find his left cheek, the warmth of his skin fills the palm of my hand. I want to caress his face, but my fingers are moving properly. My drawing hand is useless now, but I can at least feel his face still.

"I know Inuyasha, I'm so happy to finally know your true feelings. Although it was a horrible experience, but if these few days didn't happen, this moment will never exist. I once told you Inuyasha remember, I'll be here to listen to your problems, your pain and sadness. Anything that you want to get off your chest, you were scared to love me because of your fear of losing me one day. But that's what life's all about, we will all leave this world one day but it shouldn't stop us from treasuring the present. I wish you told me so that I could have helped you get pass that block that's preventing you from following your feelings, I wish you told me so that I could have stayed by your side." I say to him.

"I know, it was stupid of me...and selfish. During the trip I thought that you would be stubborn and stayed, didn't think that you actually left..." Inuyasha says trailing off.

I lower my eyes that has been focusing on one place for a while now, and I sigh.

"I wanted to stay, I wanted to hear your voice again but after what you said to me... I realized that if I wanted to move on from my feelings for you I had to leave the place where I developed my feelings, so I thought." I answer him.

I then feel his big warm hand take hold of the hand on his face, he brings it down and I feel his soft lips kissing the tips of my middle and forefinger gently.

"I don't want you to let go of those feelings for me anymore and in return, I'll follow these feelings of mine that I have eventually developed for you and move on from my past. Do we have a deal?" I hear him ask me with a light tone.

My eyes flickers up and moves around as I hear his words, my heart begins to beat faster.

"Do you really mean that? You can finally allow yourself to love me now?" I ask him one more time.

"You want me to prove it?" He asks me with a slight irritated tone.

"Uh." I begin.

The next thing I know, I feel him pull my hand towards him, my whole upper body leans forward as my arm follows. I feel a swoosh of the air between us and then his presence nearing. Then I felt something soft press against my lips, my eyes goes wide in surprise. I can feel the warmth from them, and the smoothness of it. Inuyasha is kissing me, I feel my heart has stopped. His long hair brushes against my face and forehead, his nose is touching my cheek as he caresses my lips with his. My feelings are being returned, my effort didn't go to waste in the end after all. I feel so happy, I'm happy that I can feel Inuyasha again, his warmth and his lips on mine. His voice that I have come to love over time, and the scent of his that tells me that it's him. I close my eyes and relish in this precious moment that I never thought could be possible, Inuyasha's lips continues to move against mine, everything around us seem to stop. A few seconds later, we finally pull away from each other. The warmth and softness of his lips leaves mine, Inuyasha then pulls my head against his chest and holds me to him tightly. Now I can feel the warmth of his body against me, the softness of his kimono glides along my hand as I rest my hands on his sides. I can feel his breathing above me and the gentle chimes of our bells. My eyes are wide in surprise still, but I slowly let everything sink in.

"You waited long enough for me, you don't have to wait anymore. I think I'm ready to move on." I hear him say softly above me.

He rests his chin against my forehead, I hold him closer to me and I nod my head in response. Without knowing, tears starts to fall from my eyes. I'm not sure if they are happy tears or sad tears, but as they fall, I don't feel sad at all. Perhaps, I'm feeling grateful to have earned something.

"I never thought that this moment could happen..." I say quietly.

"Neither did I. I think we have some things to catch up on." Inuyasha replies.

"I suppose we do, what time is it?" I ask him.

"It's night time, Sango, Miroku, and Shippo all went to bed already. They said that you should be able to wake up one of these days, so I waited." He replies smoothing down my hair.

I use to wait for him, this time, he waited for me, he waited for me to open my eyes. Thank you Inuyasha, I pull away from him slightly so we have some distance. He brushes away the tears on my face with his left hand.

"Looks like I need to see Sango and the other to give my gratitude, and to catch up on some things as well. You must be tired Inuyasha, why don't you get some rest." I say to him with a smile.

I feel him letting me go and letting out a loud groan, is he stretching? I then feel light swooshes of the air and rustling of fabric ad hair, is he shaking? I smile at that, he really acts like a cute dog. 

"I guess you're right, I'm exhausted. Let's sleep." I hear him say quickly.

I then hear a plop on the ground next to me, my eyes goes wide in confusion. The chimes of the bell rings as he moves. Did he just? Is he? Really?

"Inuyasha what are.." I begin to say.

"I'm too tired to go back to my place, also what if something else happens? I could be here to make sure that nothing does, and besides..."

I hear him clear his throat.

"I've seen your bare body already and ....we confessed to each other so this shouldn't be weird right?" He finishes.

I listen to his words and I can feel my face warming up and my heart starts beating faster, but he's right. I told him that I loved him, and he accepted them and told me his feelings. He has seen everything already of me so what could be more awkward than that? I suppose sleeping next to each other shouldn't be weird, I take a deep breath and I lay down onto my left side. I can feel Inuyasha's presence and aura in front of me, his rhythmic breath gently touches my face. It tells me just how close we are to each other.

"Get some rest, let's go to the tree by the cliff tomorrow. It has stopped raining and most of the snow has melted, we can talk there." He says.

"Sounds good, it's been a while since we've been there together hasn't it?" I say moving my eyes around.

"It has, hopefully we won't banter on the way there." I hear him say blowing a raspberry.

I chuckle.

"I actually miss our bantering." I say with a laugh.

There's a brief silence, I stop laughing. I then feel his hands gently pulling me into him, his warmth once again envelopes me. He rests his chin against my forehead again as he holds me.

"Inuyasha?" I say his name.

"Thank goodness I found you, or else I may have lost the only person that could set me free from my past." I hear him say above me.

I smile at his words and I bury my face against his chest, how warm and precious this moment is.

"Thank you for giving so much effort Inuyasha, Let's get some rest, we have the whole day tomorrow to talk." I say to him.

"Yea. Goodnight." He replies smoothing my hair again.

"Goodnight." I respond back.

I close my eyes and I listen to his rhythmic and calm breathing, his arms wrapped tightly around me. I can only wrap one arm around him, but I can't hold him because my dominant hand has become immobile. I feel slightly frustrated but I'm grateful to have this moment with Inuyasha, I let his warmth and presence lull me to sleep. I thought it would be awkward but... it feels natural to be sleeping next to him. Soon, I doze off, a proper slumber in a while. I have a cold and some injuries that needs recovering, but with time, things will heal.