A Selfless Intervention

The Beauty of Senses ~ Inuyasha X Reader

I regain my consciousness slowly, my head feels a bit woozy. I'm lying on my right side. I can feel the slight chill in the room but the sunlight gently touches my face from the window, I smile at the feeling. I yawn and close my eyes again, everything goes mute, after the yawn I give my senses a moment to come back to me. I feel something slightly heavy and warm around my stomach, and breathing against my . Quiet snoring can be heard behind me, I smile as I know who it belongs to. Inuyasha and I made love last night, we finally gave ourselves to each other, a start of moving on especially for Inuyasha. I turn onto my side as quietly as possible, I touch his strong arm around my waist and lift it up slightly so I can turn around to face him. Looks like Inuyasha is a pretty heavy sleeper, as I turn around his snoring sounds louder and I can sense his face right in front of mine. The inhale and exhale of his rhythmic breathing is hypnotic. I listen for a while, I don't even realize but after a while it goes quiet. I blink to get a grasp on what is going on.

"You're awake." A voice suddenly says catching me off guard.

"Inuyasha, when did you wake up?" I reply back surprised.

"For a good few minutes now." He says.

"But you were snoring away." I say with a light chuckle.

"Well you can say I was half awake, now I'm fully awake. Did you rest well?" He asks me.

His arm around my waist holds me a bit tighter and he draws me closer to him. His warm breath laces my face, his bare chest flush to mine. How heavenly this moment feels.

"Yes, hearing your snores it seems as if you rested well too." I answer him back with a smile.

I feel Inuyasha nuzzle my nose with his, his fluffy bangs brushes against my forehead. I giggle and I reach up with my hand to find his soft dog ears on the top of his head, I feel up his hair until I find the soft fur. His ear twitches and I can hear the light swooshes, I then feel his head shaking slightly.

"What was that for?" He asks me with slightly playful irritation in his voice.

"It was a morning greeting I suppose." I reply back sticking out my tongue at him.

"Well you didn't need to tickle my ears you know? There are other ways to greet each other in the morning." Inuyasha replies back with a bored tone.

I then feel his lips on mine, caressing my skin with his. I close my eyes at the sensation, our lips part from each other and I lay my head back onto the soft futon. As I lay there with Inuyasha, I can't help but notice the emptiness and colourless vision. Ever since becoming blind, I haven't thought about wanting to regain my vision. I knew that it would be impossible anyway. But right now, at this moment, I wished. Without knowing my hand comes up to find his face, when I do I gently glide my fingers down his smooth skin.

"_____________?" I hear him say my name slightly concerned.

I shake my head and I let out a sigh, I lift my hand away from his face and I hold onto the futon cover with my functional hand. I prop myself up and I just sit there staring into emptiness. My slightly messy hair from our lovemaking last night falls to the side of my shoulders, I then feel Inuyasha sit up beside me.

"____________, what's the matter?" He asks me.

I turn my head towards his direction and I try to focus my eyes on one place.

"After last night, spending the intimate night together with you. I wished, I wished for something. I tell him.

"What do you wish for?" He answers me.

"I wish that I can see your face Inuyasha, I remember telling you that all I can remember are your dog ears, white silver hair, and amber eyes. But I don't remember what your face looks like, just vaguely. I want to remember what you look like, I want to see the face of the person that I love." I tell him.

"______________." He says.

"Is it wrong to ask for something like this even though I know it may never happen?" I ask him with a sigh.

I lower my eyes, I then feel both of Inuyasha's hands on my cheeks lifting my head up. My eyes feels watery.

"No, there's nothing wrong for wishing to see again, I wished for some many things as well even though I know they are things that may not come true. You've lost so much__________, wishing to see isn't selfish at all or anything wrong. I know that fear of forgetting someone, what they look like and what they feel like. Although I can feel and see you, but knowing that your eyes can never properly focus on me, it pains me, it reminded me that you were able to see once, you saw my face a long time ago. I also wish that you can see my face again, to remember what I look like. I just want you to know that, even if you can't see my face it shouldn't matter. I'll love you regardless. You taught me that it's alright to want and wish for things." Inuyasha tells me with a reassuring voice.

"Thank you Inuyasha." I nod back.

I feel Inuyasha kiss me and pulls me into his chest, his warmth radiates off of his skin. His long hair brushes against my bare body.

"I should thank you___________, you've helped me more than I ever could for you." Inuyasha says.

I smile at his words and bury my face into his chest and take in his scent. Inuyasha then pulls the two of us back into the futon, with the man that I love holding me, I drift back to sleep in this still early morning. A few days goes by since we gave ourselves to each other, I feel happy everyday knowing that Inuyasha is beside me. I begun to share Inuyasha's room now. The bell on my wrist and on Inuyasha's neck chimes simultaneously as we walk side by side, being beside Inuyasha feels like it's where I belong. I'm willing to let go of my own village to be here with Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, and Shippo. It's a symbol of me moving on completely. I try my best to help out as much as I can now that Spring has blossomed. I regain my consciousness to another day, I feel Inuyasha's body heat behind me as I'm lying on my side. His rhythmic snoring fills my hearing and space, I can feel his breath against my back shoulder. I want to turn around and touch his face but I should let him sleep. I lift the cover quietly and sit up, I let the faint feeling of sunlight lace my skin as I take a moment to regain my senses. I pat the ground beside me to find my kimono, soon the silk fabrics comes in contact with my fingertip. I slide my arms through the sleeves and I stand up quietly and carefully as to not wake him, I use my functional hand to close my kimono, I put my hand along the wooden walls of the room. I feel the cool wooden floor beneath my feet, I have a good sense of the layout of the room after so many days. I let the wall guide me to the window, I can feel the dim warmth of the sun on my face as I face it. I close my eyes and take in the faint sensation, I put my palm against the paper screen of the window, I can hear the faint chirping of birds outside.

"You know, if you want to try and go somewhere without waking me up, you should think of a more effective way than just getting up." A familiar low voice says.

I open my eyes and turn my head to the direction of the futon. I hear footsteps walking up to me, the familiar scent slowly fills my nose.

"Inuyasha, you're up again." I say.

I feel him stop behind me and kisses me on the cheek, his long rough hair brushes against my face. His left arm wraps around my waist and he stands on my right, I smile.

"You know, I think that even if I manage to think up of away to slip out, you'll still be able notice it. Nothing will escape your senses." I reply back with a smile.

"That's right, my dog ears can pick up the slightest sound that is out of the ordinary." Inuyasha replies with a matter of factly tone.

I let out a "hmph." But never losing my smile.

"Is something on your mind?" He asks me.

I stay focused on what is in front of me, how I wish I can see the world outside.

"Hey Inuyasha, can you tell me what it looks like outside?" I ask him.

"Ya." He simply replies.

His arm lets go of my waist and I hear the window open by the squeak of the hinges. I can feel the cool morning breeze coming through the window.

"The sky is clear, clear blue with a few white clouds. The birds fly over head and the trees are green and in full bloom." Inuyasha explains.

"How beautiful." I answer back roaming my eyes to the space in front of me.

"What's up?" Inuyasha asks me again.

"Let's go somewhere far Inuyasha, let's go spend some time outside the village, somewhere that's not at the cliff or cave. Somewhere where we can sit and let nature surround us, somewhere further than then the places that we are so use to. For today, what do you say?" I ask Inuyasha turning to face him.

"I do feel slightly stuffed staying in this village lately and not going out, let's go out then. If it's what you want then let's go." Inuyasha replies.

"Thanks." I respond with a nod.

I then feel his arms go over my head and wraps something around my waist, I lift my arms up in surprise. It takes me a second or two to realize that Inuyasha is tying the obi around me. After he finishes he rests his chin on my left shoulder, I can feel his right dog ear fluttering beside my head. I smile at the closeness of us. After dressing up Inuyasha and I head to the big hut to have breakfast with everyone, everyone is as lively as ever especially Shippo.

"Sango, Shippo, Inuyasha and I are going out today, we just want to let you know before we leave." I tell them.

"It's been a while since you have gone out of the village, especially since you've been recovering from your injuries. It will be nice for you and Inuyasha to go out and have some time together. Stay safe out there." Sango replies.

"Nothing's going to happen when I'm here. Carry on with your stuff, we'll see you guys around night time." Inuyasha adds.

I sigh and I reach my functional hand under the table and squeeze his arm, I feel Inuyasha flinch slightly and then he clears his throat. I show them a smile. After breakfast, Inuyasha takes my hand in his and guides us to the entrance of the village, Shippo tags along because he's going out to meet his fox friends.

"How are your friends?" I ask Shippo hearing his light feet walking on the grass.

"Great! They have become a part of a family almost." I hear Shippo reply with joy in his voice.

"That's wonderful, It's so nice to hear that Shippo." I say to him with a big smile.

"How do you not have a lover yet despite hanging with a big group of fox demons?" Inuyasha chimes in with an unexpected question.

"Inuyasha!" I slap him lightly on the arm.

"Shut up Inuyasha!" Shippo fires back with irritation.

"What? It was something to get a conversation going." Inuyasha replies flatly.

"There are better ways to start a conversation you know? Well to answer your question, I suppose time might figure that out." Shippo replies.

"Hopefully, alright. You better run off now, __________ and I are going far. See you when we get back." Inuyasha says.

"Gotcha, be careful you two." Shippo says.

"We will, you as well Shippo." I say holding out my free hand which happens to be the dominant hand.

"Don't worry, you guys have fun." Shippo answers holding my hand in his.

Since I can't squeeze his hand back, I could only feel his. He then lets go and I hear him skipping away with the rustling of the grass, I smile as his presence fades.

"Guess we should get going to, where do you want to go?" Inuyasha asks me.

I turn to face him, the gentle spring breeze carries my stray hair around me.

"Wherever the wind takes us I suppose, just not somewhere too far." I say with a chuckle.

"Sure, hope on." Inuyasha answers back with a huff.

I sense him turning around and guiding the hand he's holding around his neck, his long hair tickles my bare arm, my shoulders goes up and as my arms go higher and close the distance and soon I feel his broad back. I wrap my other arm around his neck and I hold on tight, Inuyasha's arms hooks underneath my thighs. His body heat radiates and it feels so nice, I hold on tight.

"Here we go." He says.

"Go for it." I answer him back, resting my chin on his left shoulder.

The next thing, I feel the wind picks up and the grass rustling. The two of us dashes off to wherever, although I can't see but just to be able to feel and hear the world around me seems content. We travel for about an hour or so, way further than where we usually go to, I can hear birds above us and the rustling of trees in the distance. Inuyasha lets me down, my back feels a bit sore but I'm not going to complain because I want today to be filled with happiness. Inuyasha's hand naturally takes mine into his, I feel my heart becoming lighter. I rest my other hand on top of his, I know for some people, being together almost every minute of the day may seem tiring and annoying, but for me, being with Inuyasha is one of my greatest joy. I know that I need to rely on someone due to my disability, and I admit that. Inuyasha said that he will be that person because he loves me. I need him and love him just as much as he needs someone to help guide him out of the past and into the future, and I'm that person. Inuyasha guides us to a place that seemed different, the grass soon turned into branches and twigs. The warmth of the sunlight seem to fade slightly from my skin, and I can hear leaves rustling above us.

'Are we in a forest?' I ask him.

"Ya, it's different and serene, thought it might be nice to take a walk." Inuyasha answers back.

The bells of our necklace and bracelet chimes melodically in the open forest as we walked. Soon Inuyasha stops walking and I follow.

"Let's take a rest here." He says.

"Sure." I respond back with a nod.

Inuyasha guides me down and I sit on what I assume a tree root, I feel Inuyasha plop down beside me. We let each other's hands go to stretch out a bit, I hear Inuyasha yawn and groan. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath, how refreshing. The gentle breeze blows around us, the chirping of the birds can be heard from above us in the trees, rustling of the leaves is calming.

"Hope that wasn't too tiring for you." I say to Inuyasha.

"Well, it was't too bad but you were pretty heavy." Inuyasha says flatly.

I lower my eyelids in annoyance, I blow a raspberry at him and I sigh.

"Well I probably gained some weight because I have been recovering and not moving much lately." I reply back.

I then feel something hit against my knee and stays there, it's not heavy but it seems to be putting a bit of pressure, I put my hand down and then I feel silk strands. Hair?

"I'm just joking, humans are light especially for a demon like me. You're especially light." He responds back, his voice seem to be coming below.

I think he rested his head on my knee, I glide my hand carefully through his hair and I find his right cheek. I hold it in my palm and I feel him lean into my hand. The two of us just sit there for seconds, enjoying the nature around us, well more like listening and feeling for me. A question comes into my mind suddenly.

"Hey Inuyasha." I say his name softly.

"Ya?" He replies.

"Now that we are together, has the thought of starting a family crossed your mind? With me?" I ask him.

There is a brief silence, and then I feel Inuyasha's big hand take hold of the hand on his face and laces his fingers with mine.

"I know that I haven't let go of my past for long, and I did lock away that thought of wanting a family because I lost Kagome. Now that you came into my life, I want to believe again, I want to believe that a possibility of a family for me can become reality. With you, and a future of happiness." He tells me with a calm and collected voice.

" I'm happy to hear that Inuyasha, so happy. I want you to have a family and a bright future. I want you to have your wishes come true, even if it's just one." I tell him.

"I'm thankful for that____________. Although we are together, I want to let you know that.... I cannot marry you..." Inuyasha says with a solemn voice.

I blink in surprise and confusion, I squeeze his hand slightly.

"Why not?" I ask him with curiosity.

"If it's what you want, I'm sorry, if it's not what you want... I'm still sorry. The reason being, I'm still married to Kagome, even though she's gone. Kagome and I are still married, we did not divorce prior to her passing and as a priestess, a vow is eternal. Unless somehow that vow is broken by something spiritual. Kagome did tell me to move on, but she never said anything about our marriage. Kaede could have helped but she's gone. Before you came into my life, I didn't want that vow to end. Now, I want to move on, but I don't know how to break it. Although it's just a vow, but it means a lot more. If I want to marry you, I want that vow to be broken first, even if it's just someone of spiritual powers. I want them to tell me that Kagome and my eternal vow is nullified. I hope you can understand that." Inuyasha says resting his head back against my knee.

I smile and nod my head in understanding, although I love Inuyasha, but I know I can't force him to forget about Kagome and the past that they've shared. They were married with an eternal vow, although words, but there is a bond.

"I understand Inuyasha, I'll be alright with that. As long as you're with me, it's fine. Family doesn't necessarily have to be marriage, a long a you have the people you love with you is enough. You don't have to apologize for anything." I assure him.

"I love you__________, but marriage is just one thing that I can't give you. Unless I can find someone of spiritual powers or divine powers." Inuyasha tells me.

"Don't worry, I'm content as it is." I reassure him.

I feel him gently burying his head into my lap as a dog would, I lower my eyes and glide my functional hand down his head feeling his dog ears along the way. I caress the top of his head with affection. I know that there are just some things that a person can't give up, and we should respect that, I should respect that. At least I know now that Inuyasha is ready to move forward and have a family. The two of us fall asleep together side by side for a good hour or so, I open my eyes, the birds are still chirping. I wonder what time it is, I can hear Inuyasha snoring lightly beside me. I smile at the faint warmth of his body. I want to get up and walk a bit, stretch out my back from sitting for an hour or two. I quietly get up as to not wake Inuyasha, I suppose I won't walk too far away since I can't see. I manage to find a long branch on the ground and I use it to guide me, like I use to have my walking stick. I walk through the forest, careful as to not trip on anything. After walking for a minute I put my hand on a tree and stop. I stretch my arms and smile as I inhale the fresh air, wish I can come out here more often. I can hear the birds chirping above, so melodic. After a few seconds, I can hear rustling above. The birds stops chirping and then flapping of wings, I turn around. I don't sense anyone.

"Inuyasha?" I call out.

No response, maybe it's an animal. I turn my body to get a good hear of my surrounding. Suddenly I hear fast footsteps coming towards me.

"_____________!" A voice shouts out.

"Inuyasha?" I reply back surprised.

I then feel a heavy presence coming down from above me, but before it could land on me someone scoops me up. The air picks up as I hold on.

"There's a demon, I'll place you somewhere safe and I'll kill it." Inuyasha's voice registers in my head.

I feel the air stop and then he lowers me down after a brief moment, I hold onto the stick as I sit on the ground. I'm a bit shocked at what is going on.

'A demon?!" I ask him worried.

"Don't worry, it's a small demon, I'll take it down in no time, just wait for me." He tells me kissing me on my forehead.

Before I can reply, I hear him run away, I could only stay here and wait. Inuyasha saved me again, and he's going to kill the demon. I hope it's not a dangerous one, my heart is beating fast as I worry. Minutes goes by, but I can't hear anything clearly. I can hear faint sounds in the distance, but the wind and rustling of leaves are preventing me to make out the sounds of Inuyasha. I close my eyes and I focus, blocking out everything else as I try to filter out and find Inuyasha. Suddenly, I hear a strained groan in the far distance. I open my eyes in shock, it sounded like Inuyasha. I stand up with a nearby tree as support.

"Inuyasha!" I shout his name in worry.

No reply, I then hear a hissing growl in the distance and then silence. I can hear my heartbeat through my ears, I hold tightly to the walking stick with my functional hand as I wait. I feel slightly frustrated that I can't see, frustrated that I can't get a grasp of the world or situation around me. After a few minutes, I hear rustling. I hold my walking stick up in defence, the rustling comes nearer by the second.

"Inuyasha?" I call out again.

The sound stops and then walking, two strong arms grabs onto my wrists. I twitched slightly in shock.

"____________, I'm here. Don't worry, I'm here." The person says.

I hear the chimes of a bell, and it hits me that Inuyasha is in front of me alright. I drop my the stick and I hug him, his body warmth evident.

"Inuyasha, you're here. Are you alright? I hear a muffled groan, I thought it was you." I ask him worried.

I pull back and I feel his shoulders down to his arms hurriedly to see if there are any wounds, a part of me was worried for him so I didn't pay full attention to the inspection. But it seems like he's alright. I hold his face, my eyes wandering like crazy.

"I'm fine, I got rid of the demon, it's nothing I can't handle. Let's head back, the sun is starting to set. Are you alright?" Inuyasha asks me.

"I'm alright, thank you for saving me from the demon. Yea let's go back, I think we got enough fresh air today." I say with a sigh of relief.

I literally fall into Inuyasha as I hug him tightly, I don't want to lose him or his warmth. I feel him hug me back as he kisses the top of my head. He then helps me get on his back and the two of us head back to the village, the wind picks up but my heart is still pounding. I can't seem to calm down, what was that muffled groan. Was it Inuyasha? Something seem to be off, I wish I know what it is. I want to ask Inuyasha again, but he said he's fine. So I'll trust him. The grass rustles beneath us as we race against the sun back to village.