Chapter 12

ENEMIES, FRIENDS, Lovers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: Lots of scenes changing.

 

 

Eunji prop her chin on her palm, focusing her gaze on the four people at the table not too far from her, intrigued by the entangled love story involving four teenagers. What makes it more interesting for Eunji was… Two of them are not in a good terms, one of them hates the other one, but unknown to others, they have a secret relationship. Feels like she was watching a high school romantic comedy.

 

“Hey Eunji?” Bomi calls, nudging her friend.

 

“What?” She replies but her eyes are glued to them.

 

“Who are those two? With Irene and Wendy? Are they…friends?”

 

Eunji chuckled. “Looking at the vibe… do you really think they’re friends?”

 

Bomi pondered for moment, analyzing the scene.

 

“Clearly not! Wendy and Irene sitting together… something is definitely not right. I smell trouble.”

 

“I know! This is fun to watch.”

 

 

Irene keeps fidgeting on her seat. The tension was too nerve wrecking for her. She glance to each one of them, and notice Nana was looking at her with a suspicious look. Her boyfriend looks calm and he seems fine with their situation. As for her enemy, she had this huge smile on her face. Wendy appeared to be happy as always, but Irene couldn’t tell whether that bright smile was genuine or not.

 

“So..” Nana speaks up, breaking the awkward atmosphere.

 

“You and Wendy already broke up and now, you’re in a relationship with him.”

 

Irene merely nods, her heart was about to burst from her ribcage.  She steals another glance at her boyfriend to see his reaction, but found none. He looks extremely calm and it’s confusing Irene.

 

“And you two dated…” Nana points at Wendy and Irene. “…while you (Irene) in a relationship with him?”

 

“Yessss??”

 

“Isn’t that call cheating?” Nana crossed her arms, looking at Irene with judging eyes.

 

Irene was speechless. That didn’t cross her mind at all. Now, what kind of lies should she tells Nana? Why can’t she just tell her the truth? Why can’t stop spouting more lies?

 

Irene open to say something but her boyfriend beat her to it.

 

Hyunsik chuckles. “I don’t think you can call it cheating since our relationship is not…serious, right babe?”

 

Irene blinks her eyes in surprise. What is he talking about?

 

“What do you mean?” Nana asks in confusion.

 

“She can date whoever she wants since we aren’t married yet. But…the reality is she belongs to me. She’s mine and she can’t do anything about it.” Hyunsik replied cockily.

 

The corner of Wendy lips twitch, displeased with Hyunsik answer. “Are you saying… you cheated on her before?”

 

“I won’t say it was cheating. But yeah, I went out with other girls and Irene didn’t mind at all. Right babe?” Irene hesitantly nods her head.

 

Wendy was boiling inside. This guy is a ! How dare he cheat on Irene and acted so casually about it?  Why did Irene even date this jerk? What did she sees in him?

 

Even before Wendy could say or move she feel Nana place her palm on top of her. Nana patted her hand lightly like she was telling Wendy to calm her asses.

 

“So…Irene? What if I ask your boyfriend here…on a date? Are you sure you don’t mind?

 

Wendy brows furrowed in bewilderment. What is Nana trying to do? What is her plan? And by the looks on Irene face, Wendy could tell she was baffled.

 

“I was right all along. You’re interested in me.” Hyunsik said haughtily and wrapped his arm around Irene shoulder.

 

“I am sure Irene doesn’t have a problem with that, right?”

 

Irene smiled. “Yeah! I am okay with it.”

 

 

Wendy could sense something’s fishy with the way Irene smiled. She looks somewhat uncomfortable, like she was pretending everything is okay. Wendy know Nana shares the same thought as her. Something is definitely not right here.

 

“Not today though. Cause I already promise to have a wonderful date with my girl today. Maybe next time?” Hyunsik flash both of them his charming smile.

 

Nana glance briefly at her childhood friend for a quick reaction but she found none. Irene was still keeping that illegible smile. She turn her gaze back and grins.

 

“Sure! Next time.”

 

 Wendy was restless. She can’t just sit there and let Irene go with that douchebag. She won’t let Hyunsik playing around with Irene feelings as if she was a toy. No, she can’t do that! Not when that sweet smile looks force.

 

“Wait!” Wendy blurts out, stopping Irene and Hyunsik movement.

 

“How about…a double date? You two and us. The four of us.” Wendy quickly suggested and by the looks on Irene face, Wendy know her request must be surprising.

 

Hyunsik snigger. “I like the idea of double date but I’m not comfortable with my girlfriend ex going on a double date with my future wife. I’m sorry, but I have to decline.”

 

“Wha-“

 

A hand on her lap stop her from speaking as Nana beamed the couple a bright smile and tell them to go and have fun on their date.

 

After the couple disappeared from the classroom, Wendy heaved out a heavy sighed and slump her back on the chair.

 

“I know you are worried about Irene. Even if you hate Hyunsik…but he is her boyfriend. She chose to be with that .”

 

“Yeah, I know that. But why does her eyes looks like that? Like it was screaming for help. Like…she was force to spend time with him. Force to be his girlfriend.”

 

Nana chuckles. “Speaking from a personal experience?”

 

“Yeah, yeah… I know! I did the same thing to her too. Now that I think about it, why didn’t you say anything to her? You already knew about the whole fake dating thing.”

 

Nana shrugged. “Love to see that cute panic look on her face.”

 

“You’re evil.”

 

“I’m not the one who’s lying.”

 

Wendy laughed, shaking her head. “So…what should we do? Should we follow them?”

 

“You mean stalk them?” Wendy hoist her shoulders. “Sure! Although I hate to mingle with other people relationship but…I can’t let this one slide. There’s something off with that guy and I’m gonna find out.”

 

“I guess we both on the same boat?”

 

“Yup, let’s stalk them.” Nana said, standing up.

 

“Wait!” Wendy grasp her hand. “What about my customers?”

 

“Don’t worry Wen! We got you covered!” Bomi suddenly chimed in.

 

“You can go Wendy. Make sure that guy doesn’t hurt our Irene.”  Eunji said.

 

Wendy blinks. “You two were listening this whole time?” The two girls nodded.

 

Nana smiles. “You heard them. Let’s go fake girlfriend.”

 

 

 

 

 

One by one, loud groans and curses words fill the whole classroom as Sakura success in killing most of the contenders. Anyone could see how determined Sakura on winning this E-sport festival. The girl look so serious, she didn’t even make a single sound but her eyes… Flames burning in her eyes.

 

Hyewon giggled silently. “Saku-chan is on fire. She’s on role.”

 

Even though, her eyes never leave the screen, Hyewon could sense someone was throwing dagger at the back of her head.

 

“Bae Eunbi ssi, why are you staring at me?”

 

Eunbi was shocked. How did she know she was staring at her? Does she have eyes on her back?

 

“Do you have something to tell me?”

 

“N-no!”

 

Hyewon hummed. “Are you curious about Saku-chan relationship with me?”

 

“Wha- No.”

 

“You don’t have to worry. I don’t have feelings for Saku-chan.”

 

“I-I’m not worried!” However, her heart suddenly feel ease.

 

Hyewon smirk. “Sure, whatever you say. Saku-chan and I are gaming buddies if you’re curious.”

 

“Gaming buddies?”

 

“Yes, you know…friends that spend time together playing games.”

 

“So, you mean…when she hang out with you, you two were just playing games?”

 

“Yup, that’s right! So, you don’t need to worry about us having that sort of us relationship.”

 

“Pfff…I’m not worried, okay?” She denied but her expression became brighter than before.

 

Oh, they’re just friends. Rush of relief engulf her.

 

“Oh! Sakura kill another one. Looks like she’s gonna win if she keeps playing like this.”

 

Eunbi diverted her eyes towards the said girl and let out a small scoffed seeing Sakura focusing in whatever shooting game they are playing. (pubg) 

 

“Isn’t that what she wants? To show off her gaming skill.” Eunbi pouted.

 

Hyewon laughed. “And you believe her? Are you sure she’s not doing this for something else?”

 

Eunbi frowned. “I don’t…”

 

“Think about it. Saku-chan is not the kind of person who likes to show off.”

 

Eunbi didn’t say anything as she was thinking deeply. Hyewon was right. Sakura is not that kind of person. Then, what is her main purpose for participating in this competition?

 

Her heart skip a beat as something hit her.

 

Was it because of her? Eunbi shakes her head, which she thinks it was a stupid idea. She can’t be the reason why Sakura participate. No, that would be ridiculous.

 

But…what if it’s true?

 

Her face suddenly flushed and her heart flutter by her own presumption.

 

A small smile crept across Hyewon face seeing Eunbi state. Oh, she likes her too Hyewon thought.

 

“I wonder where will Saku-chan brings you if she win.” Hyewon snorted when Eunbi cheeks flush redder than before.

 

“I bet it’s going to be a romantic one.” She added, smiling slyly.

 

Eunbi shakes her head feeling her skin became hot. “I err… I’m gonna- go- go l-look, look for Chaeyeon.” Eunbi says and speedily walk away.

 

Hyewon laughed. “Guess all you have to do is win Saku-chan.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Urgghh…can you just let it go already?” Jessica feel she’s gonna explode soon. Taeyeon is still whining about her dead dookong’s and it’s getting irritating.

 

“You think it’s that easy? Taetae is special.”

 

Jessica rolls her eyes. “I heard you for a hundred times. But what can I do? It was an accident. I already apologize.”

 

“It’s that how you apologize to someone after killing their precious significant other. It wasn’t sincere.”

 

“Oh my god!” Jessica wants to pull her hair out. Taeyeon is so insufferable. If Taeyeon continue acting like a sulky annoying toddler, Jessica gonna lose her and kill the real one instead. 

 

Jessica inhale deeply clearing the murderous desire invading her head. Jessica open her eyes after her blood stop raising and looks at Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon was taken aback by the abrupt change. Gone with the cold eyes and replace with the gentle one.

 

Jessica sighed softly. “Listen, Taeyeon ah. I’m sorry?”

 

Taeyeon mind black out. Jessica was apologizing with that soft tone totally caught her off guard.

 

Getting no respond from Taeyeon, Jessica continued. “Your doll was on the floor so I pick it up but, it must have been stuck with the guitar case and…it ripped. Trust me it was unintentional. I didn’t meant it to happen.”

 

There was a pause. Jessica sighed again as Taeyeon still didn’t say anything, only stares blankly at her.

 

“I didn’t expect you to forgive me Taeyeon. I just want you to know that I felt bad and I’m really sorry.”

 

Moments later, Taeyeon finally open but Seulgi voice manage to shut her completely.

 

“Sica yaa~ our customer wants to take picture with you.”

 

“Okay, be right there.” Jessica says. She glance at the muted girl for the last time before she went over to her said customers.

 

Standing alone in the crowded classroom, Taeyeon bring her hand up and place it on her chest.

 

“What is this?” Taeyeon asked to no one. She could feel her heart pumping hard underneath her palm.

 

Puzzle with her heart condition, her eyes found Jessica. Her eyes widen as the beating increase. She quickly pull her hand and shakes her head furiously.

 

“No, no, no! That can’t be.” Taeyeon laughed nervously. “You were shock Taeyeon. That’s all. Nothing else.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nana quickly push Wendy behind the tall tree when Irene suddenly turn around towards their directions.

 

“Hm? What is it?” Hyunsik asks.

 

“I thought I just saw…” Irene trailed, shaking her head. “Nothing! So, where should we go next?”

 

Hyunsik hummed. “Let’s go over there. Looks fun.”

 

“Sure.” Therefore, the two left.

 

 

Both of them heaved a relief sighed, Irene didn’t caught them snooping.

 

“Fiuhhh…that was close.” Nana says, after making sure the cost was clear.

 

“I swear she have eyes at the back of head.” Nana added as Irene almost caught them three times.

 

Wendy nodded in agreement. “I don’t know how those creepy stalkers done it. This is so nerve wrecking.”

 

“I guess you have to find out yourself. They just enter the gym.”

 

Wendy quickly grab Nana arm as the girl start moving. “B-but what if we get caught? We don’t have a place to hide inside the gym.”

 

“Make sure we didn’t. And if we did, just pretend we’re on a date. You already done it, so…let’s go.” Nana simply replied and trudge towards the gym.

 

“W-wait, Nana!” Wendy groaned.  “Huhhhh…wait for me.” Wendy shuffle her legs faster to match the tall girl wide stride.

 

 

 

“Give me your hand.” Wendy showed her palm. Both of them are now standing in front the school gym.

 

Nana smirk, knowing what’s playing inside Wendy mind. “I see you already prepare.” Nana intertwined their fingers. “Alright, let’s have a nice date.”

 

Hand in hand, the two girls enter the noisy gym. Everyone were having a good time with various games the sports club held. Their eyes roamed around the crowded place searching for a certain couple.

 

After walking around for quite sometimes, Wendy spoke. “Where are they?”

 

“I swore I saw them go in.”

 

“Maybe they-ufff!“ Wendy accidently bump into someone.

 

“Woops, sorry- Irene?” Wendy instantly tense up. What a coincidence.

 

Irene brows knitted surprised to see her old friend and her enemy together. Why is Wendy here and not at their classroom?

 

“What are you guys doing here?” Her eyes shifted downwards.

 

“You- are you two…” Irene trailed. Wendy follow where Irene eyes at and realized she was looking at their join hands.   

 

By reflex, Wendy wants to pull her hand right away but Nana tighten up her hold and tug Wendy closer to her side.

 

Nana smirk. “Yes, we’re on a date. I hope it’s okay with you, Irene.”

 

Nana restrain her laughter from choking out seeing the expression on Irene face as the girl forcefully spread her lips into a sweet smile. 

 

“We already broke up. She has nothing to do with me anymore.”

 

Ouch! Wendy winced. That was kinda harsh. Well, they weren’t even real but still, it sting.

 

“Where’s your boyfriend?”

 

“He’s over there.” Irene points to the booth near them and found Hyunsik in the middle of shooting another toy arrow at the archery club booth.

 

“He’s trying to win me those purple unicorn keychains.” Irene said seemingly bragging about her boyfriend sweet gesture.

 

“Oh, is that so.” The smirk on Nana face stretch.

 

“Wendy ah, I want those purple keychain too.” Nana spoke cutely, catching Wendy off guard. As for Irene, the corner of twitch, doesn’t like how her old friend acts around her enemy.

 

“Ehh?”

 

“Come on, Wendy. Win me those keychains.” Nana says, tugging the flustered girl towards the booth.

 

“W-wait..”

 

 

SEVERAL MOMENTS LATER…

 

 

“Yay!” Nana chirp happily, clapping her hands as Wendy once again wins her another prize.

 

“Here’s your prize.” The tall junior huff and gives the big size teddy bear to Nana.

 

“Wendy unnie, I know you’re trying to impress your girlfriend but, we’re going to be broke if you keeps winning all the prizes.” The tall junior complained.

 

Wendy grins sheepishly, scratching her head. “Sorry Tzuyu ah. I’ll stop now.”

 

“Good! Go win at another booth.” Tzuyu dismissed them away.

 

Nana laughed. “She’s mad at you.”

 

“Can’t blame her though. We swipes half of the prizes.” Wendy says, taking some of the stuff she won from Nana’s hands. 

 

“By we…you mean you.” Wendy chuckled.

 

Seconds later, it hit her as a certain someone can’t be seen anywhere.

 

“Err…where’s Irene?” Wendy asks, twisting her head around.

 

Nana snickered. “She already left after you stole her purple keychains. And she doesn’t appeared to look very happy.”

 

Wendy groaned. “Great! We lost them and Irene is angry at me.”

 

“Aww…don’t get upset. I heard Hyunsik said he was hungry. Of course, after you humiliate him in front of your ex-girlfriend. They probably went to the food stands outside. So, stop sulking and get your legs to move.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her brows knitted together, teeth clenches tightly, sweats dripping on her forehead, her fingers working ferociously on her phone screen as Sakura exchange back to back fired with the last male opponent in that noisy classroom. Her classmates were cheering for her from behind and Chaeyeon was the loudest among them.

 

“Kill him! Shoot him! Blast his head off.” Sakura ears sting by Chaeyeon enthusiastic scream.

 

Eunbi quickly pull her friend away, afraid she will ruin Sakura concentration.

 

“Chae, you gonna distract her.”

 

“I was just trying to pump up her spirit. If she win, you don’t have to go on a date with that boy. Do you wanna go on a date with a smelly boy?”

 

“No!”

 

“So, cheer for her.” Then, she goes back to her cheering.

 

Eunbi stood still at her spot as she caught a glimpse of the intense battle on the square screen. She brings her hands together, secretly praying for Sakura victory. She doesn’t want to on a date with a stranger, no, she doesn’t want to go on date with just anyone. Her mind only flooded with one person only and that person is none other than the cold girl who made her heart tumble.  

 

“Please let her win, please let her win…” With her eyes closed, she chanted over and over again.

 

In split seconds, she heard a loud curse followed by booming cheering voices. Eunbi open her eyes and a wide smile spread across her face.

 

She could see a small smile painted on Sakura lips as she succeed in killing the last avatar standing. Chaeyeon run up towards her and bounce excitedly.

 

“She won! Eun, you don’t have to go out with a smelly boy.” She exclaimed, shaking her friend body in happiness.

 

Eunbi chuckles at her friend exhilarated feeling. Her laughter come to halt and her cheeks burning up when her eyes met with Sakura.

 

Her breath hitch, her stomach doing multiple flips, her brain short-circuiting as Sakura stood up from her seat, still keeping their gaze locked.

 

Even before Sakura could take a single step, Hyewon alarm voice break their eye contact.

 

“Sakura!”

 

“WOOHOOO!! I WON!” Someone suddenly exclaimed loudly.

 

All heads whipped towards where the voice came and saw a girl pumping both of her fist in the air, jumping in joy.  

 

The next thing they knew Sakura character already dead. Their eyes bulge open in complete shocked. 

 

What just happened? Eunbi was undeniably confused right now. Wasn’t it already over? Sakura is the winner but now…she’s not? But someone else is?

 

Hyewon sighs softly as she can’t believe Sakura will make that tiny mistake. Judging from her looks, Hyewon know Sakura was disconcerted.

 

Sakura stood froze staring at her phone screen. Her mind was in a muddle. She can’t believe she lost when she thought she already won.

 

“Well, at least you’ll be going out with a girl.” Sakura jaw tighten hearing Chaeyeon statement.

 

Eunbi tutted at her friend, telling her to shut before walking toward the muted girl.

 

“K-kkura yaa.” Eunbi spoke, placing a hand on Sakura shoulder.

 

However, Sakura jerk away from the touch and muttered her next words coldly. “Don’t touch me.”

 

Her heart pinch by the cold respond, didn’t expect Sakura will acted that way.

 

“Kkura yaa..” Eunbi tried again but the latter ignored her as she snatch her phone on the table and stormed off.

 

Her blood suddenly boiling couldn’t stand Sakura attitude anymore.

 

Eunbi started to run chasing after her.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Eunbi exclaimed in irritation, turning Sakura around by the arm.

 

“Leave me alone!” Sakura hissed.

 

“Why are you so angry? It’s only a stupid game.”

 

Sakura chuckled bitterly. “Maybe for you but not for me. Why do I even bothered telling you? Your brain can’t understand even a simple detail.” Sakura muttered between her teeth as she once again stormed off.

 

“Saku-“ Eunbi was unable to move as Hyewon grab her arm.

 

“Let her be. She needs to cool her head.”

 

“But…” Eunbi trailed.

 

Hyewon smiles reassuringly. “Trust me. She’ll be okay. Your friend wants you inside to meet the real winner.”

 

Eunbi nodded weakly and went back inside. As soon as Eunbi’s gone, Hyewon let out a long sighs.

 

“Saku-chan, what were you thinking?”

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon subconsciously make a low guttural sound almost sounds like she was growling. She was glaring at the boy who’s currently taking pictures with Jessica. She doesn’t like the way that boy stare at Jessica and how he was inching closer and closer towards the vampire princess.

 

She flares up when she saw Jessica flinch in surprised as the boy put his arm around Jessica shoulder. Taeyeon doesn’t know what came over her as she stomped her feet towards them and tug Jessica roughly to her side.

 

“What the-“ The boy blurts out in shocked.

 

“T-Taeyeon.” Jessica stuttered. Taeyeon action astound her.

 

“Back off!” She barks aggressively ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter