Chapter 25

ENEMIES, FRIENDS, Lovers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sakura is happy. Why wouldn’t she? She truly is. Her parents loves Eunbi and she could tell for sure that Eunbi does too. Even though they practically stole Eunbi from her and doesn’t remember that they do have a biological daughter, and maybe a little overboard with the friendliness and affection towards her girlfriend; Sakura is happy. Seeing her girlfriend feels comfortable with her parents and she got to see that gorgeous smile on her girlfriend face is all what matters.

 

However…

 

Her parents should have told her. Should’ve gives her a heads up. So she could prepare her mental state. It’s not like she has an ill feeling towards her cousin. They shared many various memories together. Her cousin – she’s very nice and outgoing. She has many friends to put it simply.

 

But it never occurred to her that her cousin and her girlfriend knew each other.

 

Sana and Eunbi are friends.

 

Cool. Great. Awesome.

 

Her girlfriend and her cousin are friends. Unexpected but nothing to worry about.

 

She lied. Actually there is…

 

“Your hands are soft. Now I remember why I like holding your hands. I could hold it all day.”

 

… Did she mentioned that Sana is also total flirt?

 

Sakura takes a deep breath. Their friends. Hugging, holding hands – these kind of things are considered normal in friendship…

 

…Right?

 

Plus! Eunbi likes her. Eunbi is her girlfriend. So she shouldn’t feel intimidated or pressure. She trust Eunbi. And by that…jealousy should be push away as far away as possible.

 

Don’t get jealous. It’s normal. They are friends. Eunbi is her girlfriend. Trust is important in a relationship. She trust Eunbi.

 

(She just don’t trust Sana)

 

“Saku-chan you didn’t tell me Eunbi is your girlfriend.”

 

“You didn’t ask, so…” she drawl, slowly walking backward to create a distance between them, only made Sana steps into her personal space.

 

“…and why you never told me you have the hots for girls.”

 

“Again, you never ask. Second, I don’t have hots for girls. I like one girl and that’s Eunbi.”

 

Sakura couldn’t really explain why, but she always have this feelings; a bad vibe every time she saw that innocent smile.

 

“You’re lucky cuz.”

 

“I am lucky I guess.”

 

“How’d you get her?”

 

Sakura brows furrowed. “Excuse me?”

 

Sana quickly puts her hands up. “Don’t get me wrong alright. Eunbi is a great girl, super pretty too. While you…”

 

Sakura bites in her molar as those critical eyes analysing her from top to bottom.

 

“…never thought you had games. Many had tried and yet somehow you succeeded. You amazed me cuz.”

 

The side of her eye twitches as she simmers down the bubbling heat with a deep take in.

 

“Like you said…” a quiet breathe out, “… I’m lucky.”

 

“You sure are you lucky bastard. If you weren’t family, I might steal her away from you.”

 

There’s that bad vibe again.

 

“You better watch your girl cuz.”

 

Is she joking or…?

 

Sakura is getting a mixed feelings.

 

She have two options. Either shoving it away and pretend it was just a joke, or start defending what’s hers.

 

Bring your girlfriend to meet your family while your flirty hot cousin came to visit? Seemingly the worse decision ever.

 

“Awesome.”

 

 

 

While the city swamp with sea of lights and overflows with extreme noises, summer night in the village has its different charms. The streets and paths are silent, only two to three cars had passes by smoothly. The environment was lit by faint lights from houses and small buildings, breezes that are a bit chilly compare in the city, and some people might have forgotten how beautiful the stars glittering above the dark atmosphere.

 

Irene is one of those people who can’t appreciate the beauty of such place. Not when her vision was occupied with eerie surrounding, not when her auditory senses keeps picking up these weird noises, not when her heart drumming like it’s having a rock concert inside.

 

“Urm Wendy?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Are we almost there?”

 

Wendy is two steps ahead of her using that tiny ball of light on her phone to lead the way while her other hand holding a huge plastic bag contain various side dishes packed neatly in containers. If her hands weren’t full at the moment, holding a big pot of halmoni delicious stew; and if Wendy just turn around for once and look at her, Irene might throw away her pride and hold the alpha’s hand.

 

Oh and some of you must be wondering how did she ended up walking in the darkness with little ball of light while holding a big pot. The reason is none other than the person in charge of the light. Halmoni gives an errand to her granddaughter and Wendy decided it’s best to get her involved in this task. She can choose Seulgi or Joy if she want. But no, she choose scaredy-cat Joohyun. And Irene regretted selling her entire being to the cheeky alpha.

 

What kind of trick is she plotting now?

 

“Yup. Just seventeen more steps – sixteen steps…” Wendy chuckled. “…are you okay back there? Is the stew heavy?”

 

“Is not the stew I have a problem with..” she mumbled, hoping Wendy would at least turn around but she didn’t.

 

‘Dogs Barking’ –

 

Irene nearly drop the pot in her hold as she paces towards the unbothered alpha.

 

“Wendy –“

 

“They all tied up. Don’t worry.” Wendy says as if she could easily tell what Irene wanted to say.

 

Irene didn’t believe her. Why won’t Wendy look at her?

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Why can’t you trust me? They won’t attack you. You’re safe.”

 

“How would you know?”

 

“I don’t.”

 

A crease immediately form between her brows. “Then how – “

 

“Because we’re here.”

 

Finally Wendy turn to look at her. Finally the rate of her heart beats decreasing when she sees brightness of a house.

 

Wendy grin. “Told you you’re safe.”

 

“You could’ve told me.”

 

“I did.”

 

“Wendy! “

 

“Hee… let’s knock on the door. These containers can tear a tissue.”

 

 

***

 

Usually when around stranger or people she never met, Irene becomes self-conscious and goes back to her quiet demeanour. Sometimes she won’t talk at all and people might get a wrong idea.

 

However this family was different. Irene feels intriguingly comfortable that her dialect flow out fluently talking to them. The lady of this house, Mrs Kim, a single mother with twins is like an older sister Irene grew up with. And her daughters are like nieces Irene wanted spoil until their mother yells at her not to spoil them too much.

 

“So… How long is Seungwan planning to hold you captive at halmoni’s place?”

 

Irene snorts. “Unnie, you say as if I hate this place.”

 

Mrs Kim or Ye-Eun shrugs. “Well she did forced you to come here right?”

 

“I don’t’ think force is the right word. More like I can’t say no.”

 

“Same thing.”

 

Irene veer her attention to the living room where Wendy is currently pinned down by two seven years old.

 

“No no no. Don’t jump – argghhh…”

“The beast has fallen. We need to cut her head off.”

“What do you – hey no chocking –“

 

A giggled slipped out as she return her attention back to the twins’ mother. “I think she’s the one who can’t wait to get out of this place.”

 

Ye-Eun laughed. “I guess you’re right about that. And I think the beast need a helping hand.” She quickly added with a slight hint of panic when Wendy began tapping the arms around her neck.

 

“Yerim ah… Yeri- ah… “ she calls out her daughters. “… Get down from the beast. If you two won’t behave, I won’t ask her to come again.”

 

In no time, tiny paddling feet hurtles over the dining table as both girls crushes their mother’s sides, desperately clutching on the woman’s arms.

 

“No! You can’t do that.” Yerim whined.

 

“Oh yes I can. You two weren’t playing nicely.”

 

“But Seungwan unnie promise to take us to the river tomorrow.”

 

“We promise we behave.” Yeri added with teary eyes.

 

“Nope. No river tomorrow. Sad.”

 

“Eomma~” they chorused in desperate pleas.

 

Ye-Eun was obviously playing with their innocent hearts but the instance Irene saw those glossy eyes, her heart clench too. And they’re not even her real nieces.

 

Wendy plop next to her with a loud grunt, one hand massaging her neck. Whenever she see Wendy or whatever situation she’s seen her, Wendy usually was the most the energetic one in the crowd. Even when she was lying on the hospital bed covered in bruises, the alpha was still energetic as ever. But now, the blonde looks completely drain and Irene smile at this. Finally, she found her match.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“I think the better question is, why are we still here? Just for me to suffer.”

 

Irene snorts. “Isn’t that the meme?”

 

“Err yes. Should’ve bring Seulgi along.”

 

“So you could sacrifice her?”

 

“Yes. Taking down a bear is much more fun than an awesome beast.” Irene scoffed and Wendy laugh.

 

“So to end my suffering, can we go home?”

 

“I’m not the one who’s playing with the kids.”

 

It has become a habitual response of her body to lean away when Wendy lean forward with a playful gleam.

 

“I like the way you say kids.” She whispered.

 

Irene frown slightly. What is she up to know?

 

“Say…in the future, do you want to have kids – with me?”

 

Her blood exploded. Up – all the way up to her face. Certainly red and very much hot and her hand shot up to push Wendy by the face.

 

“Yah!”

 

Wendy cackled. Loud and annoying. The audacity.

 

“What is the matter with you?”

 

“What? What did I do?”

 

“You per –“ Irene manage to stop herself as her eyes landed on two stunned kids. “ – dummy.”

 

“Kidding. Now sit down. You’re scaring the kids.”

 

Irene really want to punch her.

 

 

****

 

Leaving the Kim’s household took longer than they thought. The twins’ apparently had grown attach to Irene and won’t let go of her hands. After a long talk and a few promises was made, Yerim and Yeri retreated to their own home.

 

“They really like you.” Wendy commented after Ye-Eun closes the door with a quick hand wave.

 

“I like them too. They’re cute.”

 

“This is going to be a problem.”

 

Irene turn to look at her with a questioning look. “Them liking me is a problem?”

 

When Wendy nod, Irene turn to fully facing the blonde with an absurd expression. “And why is that a problem?”

 

Wendy is being ridiculous. What’s wrong with two seven years old liking her? Is it a crime? She loves kids. Just because she was not born with a friendly face doesn’t mean she dislike kids. And maybe she is not an easy going person you want to be with but she could loosen up a bit and have fun.

 

“Because I don’t want to share with them. I brought you here so I could spend time with you. Patching up holes in our relationship. Now I have to re-plan my plan.”

 

Wendy was serious. She had her brows furrow, lips pursed out in a deep thought as if she was redoing her plan board.

 

She’s so annoyingly cute. Irene had to restrain a smile from creeping up.

 

Irene had long figured out why Wendy had brought her to her birthplace. Halmoni was an excuse. She didn’t bring her here to introduce them. Irene was no fool. She said it herself, people are easy to read. Now after the fogged had been cleared, Wendy was quite predictable. If her words are loud, her action speaks louder.

 

Granted for all the actions and words, Irene just can’t seem to take an advantage of it. She still get flustered whenever Wendy does something or say something. She thought she could already get the hang of it but apparently her stupid heart couldn’t.

 

And one of it is happening right now.

 

Irene stop dead in her tracks, feet immediately rooted on ground. The tiny ball of light is no longer can be seen and darkness covering up the path to where they were heading.

 

“Wendy…” she whimpered in a second and move closer whilst her eyes frantically roving around the area.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter