Chapter 5

The General and His Pet

"Oh, someone's in our spot," came Kino's voice from somewhere behind Jinyoung as he sat on the dock, leaning back on his hands as his eyes were closed. "Sorry," hummed Jinyoung as he opened his eyes, turning to spy Kino and his dog Changgu returning from a morning walk. "It's alright, wasn't expecting it is all," said Kino as he walked over, sitting beside Jinyoung on the dock with Changgu joining them after putting up his human illusion.

"What brings you out here this early in the morning?" Asked Kino. "Couldn't sleep," hummed Jinyoung. "Came outside to meditate, lost track of time I guess," he said, turning back to the water. "What about you?" He asked. "Sometimes I'm up early," said Kino. "Other days I'm not though," he said.

"Interesting," said Jinyoung. "A side effect of that drug that was in your system I'm guessing?" He asked. Kino nodded. "I took the cure for it, but I'm still feeling the after effects of it," he said. "At least I'm not constantly bed ridden anymore," he said. Jinyoung hummed in response.

"What's it like to be bound to someone by a contract?" Asked Changgu, earning a blink in surprise from both Kino and Jinyoung. "...It's not that different," Jinyoung said after thinking it over. "I mean, compared to regular animal-humans," he added. "From what Dongwoo has told me anyway," he said. "There's a bond we share though," he said. "I see," hummed Changgu.

"Sometimes, depending on who holds the contract and what was used for said contract, traits from that person pass onto the person brought back," said Jinyoung. "Like Mingi for example," he added. "He's bound to a vampire, and he gained their speed but he didn't gain the thirst for blood," he said. "Ah," said Kino. "What did Dongwoo gain from you?" He asked. "Nothing really, I suppose," said Jinyoung. "I think if it was something similar to Mingi's contract he has with his er... Owners, I'm pretty sure that Dongwoo would get something out of this but," he said, shrugging.

"What's Mingi's contract thingy?" Asked Changgu. "It's a tattoo," said Jinyoung. "So it goes both ways," he said. "Dongwoo and Sanggyun both have a necklace and a collar respectively," he said.

"Why all the curiosity Changgu?" Asked Kino. "I'm just trying to figure out why I'm back," hummed Changgu. "Well," said Jinyoung as he shook his head. "If you were bound to someone by a contract you'd have the smell of whatever you were in your previous life," he said. "Dongwoo was a polar bear 'shifter, so he smells like a bear 'shifter," he said. "Same with Mingi," he added. "Sanggyun was a werewolf, so he has that pine forest smell," he said.

"I was a wolf 'shifter," said Changgu. "Do I smell like one?" He asked. "No," said Jinyoung. "I mean, you have the smell of 'shifters on you due to being around them all the time," he added. "But as for your native smell? Nothing," he said.

"Do animal-humans even have a noticeable smell?" Asked Kino. "I think to vampires it's different," said Jinyoung. "Because they're smelling the blood but," he added, shrugging. "To everyone else it's just a normal smell, I guess," he said. Kino hummed in response.

 

~



"Everything alright over here?" Called Dongwoo as he walked over with Shinwon, bringing breakfast with them. "Just fine," said Jinyoung, taking a plate from Dongwoo. "Just had a talk with these two here," he said, nodding to Kino and Changgu as Shinwon handed them both a plate before sitting down beside Changgu.

"What'd you talk about?" Asked Shinwon. "Changgu was curious if he was brought back because of a contract," said Jinyoung. "I have no reason to suspect he was," he added. "Everyone wonders why he came back, but the same thing happened to a friend of ours too," said Kino. "I heard," hummed Jinyoung.

"It's odd given the circumstances," said Dongwoo. "You two are the only ones to come back, with your memories at that," he said. "Who knows why you came back? You are back though, and that's better than it is for most," he said. "I guess," hummed Changgu.

"Changgu," said Kino, changing the subject. "Why don't you talk in front of the others?" He asked. "You're always talking to me or Shinwon on our walks, but around MJ and Jinho you're silent," he said.

"...I'm hesitant," said Changgu. "Why?" Asked Kino. "Even now as a dog I'm too used to being silent," said Changgu. "And you guys are my owners, technically," he added. "I feel more comfortable talking in your presence than in Jinho or MJ's presence," he said.

"Don't press the matter," said Jinyoung. "I'm sure he has his reasons," he added. "Everyone does," agreed Dongwoo as he finished eating breakfast, putting the plate down beside him before leaning back on his hands.

"When are you leaving?" Asked Shinwon. "Not for another day or so, why?" Asked Jinyoung. "Just wondering, Hongseok and Yunhyeong left a few hours ago, something about Yunhyeong getting missions," said Shinwon. "We have the safe house in the city to check," said Jinyoung. "Then we'll leave," he added. "Alright," said Shinwon.

 

~



"You carry a lot on your shoulders don't you?" Asked Kino as he joined Jinyoung on the dock after dinner. "Is it that obvious?" Asked Jinyoung. "No," said Kino. "But I've always been able to pick up on the little things in people," he said. Jinyoung hummed in response.

"That accent you have, where are you from originally?" Asked Kino. "Europe, Poland to be more specific," said Jinyoung. "You can't really tell that I even have an accent now, it's been so long," he said. "In some words it's more noticeable," said Kino. "My family hails from Norway, but it's been quite some time since I've been home," he said. "At least, the family that was the pack I joined after being abandoned," he added. Jinyoung hummed in response.

"What's something you've done, and regret doing in the first place?" Asked Kino. "I don't think I should say," said Jinyoung. "That bad huh?" Asked Kino as he looked at Jinyoung. "Yeah," said Jinyoung. "But I can talk about a time that I don't regret doing something," he said. "Oh?" Asked Kino.

"Have you heard of Seungwoo?" Asked Jinyoung. "Yes, Hongjoong and Jongho stop by every now and again to check on us," said Kino. "Since most would stop by the safe house in the city," he added.

"I was involved with his old pack," said Jinyoung. Kino blinked in surprise. "No, I wasn't a part of the pack, I was with Kris for many years before he joined," said Jinyoung. "But I was partly the reason Seungwoo had joined Kris's pack under Chanyeol, who was the general before him," he said. "What happened?" Asked Kino.

"Seungwoo was being trained as a weapon, by his parents," said Jinyoung. "His older sister was brainwashed, and believed that what they were doing was right," said Jinyoung. "He finally had enough, when they were going to bring his own nephew, who wasn't even five yet at the time, into the intense training sessions," he said. "He took matters into his own hands and came to us for help," he said.

"So you took care of it?" Asked Kino. "No, it was iKon that did it, but Seungwoo begged us to keep his sister and his nephew out of it," said Jinyoung. "We went through the process of declaring a territory hostile, and gave them a week to get out," he said. "I think you can see where this is going," he said. Kino nodded, his eyes wide as he listened to the story.

 

~



"God damn it!" Shouted Seungwoo as he fell to his knees. "Why didn't you leave?" He asked, looking defeated at his sister. "I'm sorry Seungwoo," said Sunhwa. "You could've at least taken Subin out of the territory," said Seungwoo. "I don't want this happening to my nephew," he spat.

"I'm sorry Seungwoo," said Jinyoung as he walked over, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You know the law we have in place," he said. "Please," said Seungwoo, a sob escaping him. "Spare Subin at least," he begged. "He's only five," he said, desperate to save Subin from this.

"What do you want to do?" Asked Jinhwan as he kept his hands in his pockets, his stance neutral. Jinyoung sighed. "I don't want to do this to a child," he said. "You know this," he said, taking his hand off of Seungwoo's shoulder.

"Tell you what," Jinyoung said after contemplating the options. "I'll spare the child, but he is going to be raised by another general," he said. "The kid doesn't need to be in your life until you can control yourself better," he said. Seungwoo nodded, relieved. "Call him over," said Jinyoung.

"Subin," Seungwoo called, his voice trembling as he watched his nephew rush over and into his arms. "I'm sorry buddy," he said, hugging Subin to his chest. "Don't look at mommy okay?" He asked. "These people are only trying to help," he said, trying to sooth a now crying Subin.

"Jinhwan," said Jinyoung. Jinhwan nodded, and launched an attack, the others following suit.

 

~



"And that's where Jinhwan got the famous scar on his face," he said. "Damn," said Kino. "I don't regret that decision at all," said Jinyoung. "Subin found out later, what had happened, but he doesn't blame Seungwoo," he said. "I didn't think he would," said Kino.

"Subin was only five at the time," said Jinyoung. "His memory is fuzzy," he said. "But after seeing what became of Seungwoo after the fact, he was glad he got out," he added. "Yeah, I can see why," said Kino.