Chapter 4

The General and His Pet

"We're here," said Jinyoung as he pulled into the driveway. "That didn't take long," said Dongwoo as he sat up, looking around the property from his spot in the back seat. "No, it didn't," hummed Jinyoung. He looked towards the front door when the door opened, and MJ stepped out to greet them. "Well, there's our cue," said Dongwoo as he got out of the truck, with Jinyoung following after him a few seconds later.

"Territory runs huh?" Asked MJ as Jinyoung walked over with Dongwoo. "Yeah," said Jinyoung. "Figured why not check out Chicago, since it's still a new spot," he said. "Come around back then, I think Jinho said he was having a barbecue," said MJ. Jinyoung nodded and followed MJ into the backyard, going through the house to get there.

"Ah, you're here!" Said Jinho as Jinyoung and Dongwoo stepped outside after MJ. "Hello," said Jinyoung. "Sorry about the mess in the house, we've been having visitors for the passed couple days," said Jinho. "No problem," said Jinyoung. "We're only here for a few days anyway," he said. "Alright," said Jinho.

"Who came over for a visit anyway?" Asked Jinyoung. "Hongseok and Yunhyeong," said Jinho. "Ah, I see," hummed Jinyoung. "They were visiting Chani and then stopped by," said Jinho. "No problem there," said Jinyoung. "We have an extra room for you two," said Jinho. "That's fine," said Jinyoung.

"Jinyoung," called Yunhyeong as he walked over with Hongseok. "Long time no see," he said. "It has been a while," hummed Jinyoung as he turned to Yunhyeong. "How's Berlin holding up?" He asked. "Haven't had much trouble," said Yunhyeong as he shrugged. "Yixing and Moonbin are doing a good job on keeping Berlin a neutral zone," he said. "That's good," said Jinyoung.

"We got visitors?" Called Kino as he walked over with Shinwon and Changgu, returning from a walk. "Yeah," said Jinho as he turned to Kino before checking the food on the grill. "Territory runs," said Jinyoung. "Kris ordered it so," he said, shrugging. "Ah, I figured," hummed Shinwon. "Not many werewolves pass through here though, they normally go to the safe house in the city," he said. "We mostly get 'shifters and vampires passing through here, or werewolves who are hunters that don't work for Kris," he said. "Makes sense," said Jinyoung. "We'll have to stop by there before we leave," he hummed. Dongwoo hummed in response.

"Anyone from Wooseok's information network stop by?" Asked Jinyoung. "Just Eunki," said Jinho. "He's the only vampire to ever go directly into a city owned by other species to pass on information, it's why Youngbin trusts him the most," he said. "Is there a reason why?" Asked Kino. "I never really understood," he said.

"Eunki keeps to hunting one human no matter what city he's in," said Jinyoung. "He refuses to hunt animals, but he compromises by hunting one human no matter where he is, if he's thirsty enough," he said. "Because of that no one knows he's actually in the territory until he shows up," he said.

"There's also rumors of him being the first vampire or something," Yunhyeong said. "I dunno how true that is but," he added, shrugging. "I'm not sure," said Jinyoung. "I've met many vampires in my time but," he said "Never had one claim to be the first vampire," he added, shrugging.

"I do know that Yeosang and his coven stop by every now and again," said MJ. "More like Yeosang and his pet," Kino said with a shake of his head. "Well, San does check on the areas Yeosang and Mingi don't hit," said Jinyoung. "He's just not a people person," he said.

"Ugh," said Dongwoo. "There has to be a better term for us contract bound animal-humans than just the word pet," he said with a scowl. "I mean, the term came to light when Sanggyun was brought back," said Jinyoung. "He technically was a pet though, since he's part dog, and was raised by hunters," he said. "That's true," said Dongwoo. "But what about Mingi and I?" He asked. "We're just bears, I mean come on now," he said. Jinyoung shrugged at that.

 

~



"So," said Jinho as he sat down in a lounge chair after getting his share of food. "What brings you here again?" He asked. "Just checking on things," said Jinyoung as he sat across from Jinho with his own plate of food. "Seeing how you are, how the territory's been, what's going on etc," he said. "Ah," hummed Jinho.

"Basically like how you guys check in with Moonbin every few months," said Yunhyeong. "Basically," said Jinyoung. "Oh, that makes more sense," said Jinho. "I was gonna say, because we don't work for Kris it's a bit awkward and such," he said.

"Kris ordered a territory check, it doesn't matter if you work for him or not," said Jinyoung. "We're just here to make sure things are still relatively peaceful," he said.

"So you check on the entire northern US?" Asked Kino. "Pretty much," said Jinyoung. "Who checks on the southern US?" Asked Kino. "No one," said Jinyoung. "Well, technically speaking anyway," he added. "The entire southern half of the US is owned by Chen," he said. "Kris and Chen aren't on the best of terms, and Chen declared the territory off limits to territory checks," he said.

"Considering that Jaehwan recently declared a new territory down south, Chen's not opposed to hunters occupying the area," said Dongwoo. "I mean, Chan, Jun and Hoshi already occupy Charleston," said Jinyoung. "If he didn't allow that, well," he said, shrugging. "Ah, you got a point," said Dongwoo.

"What happens if you declare a territory hostile?" Asked Jinho. "We basically give all occupants a week to get out and those left in the territory are killed, regardless of who they are and where they stand," said Yunhyeong. "I know I had to do a few runs like that," he said.

"Why the hell does that happen?" Asked Kino as he blinked. "It's to make sure we aren't found out," said Jinyoung. "Humans aren't supposed to know of our world," he said. "With the exception of a few," he added.

"Recently blood dens have been declared hostile, I heard," said Dongwoo. "They have," said Yunhyeong. "Some of the humans can't be saved despite our best efforts," he said. "So Mashiho declared all humans in blood dens kill on sight," he said.

"Dami got lucky," said Jinyoung. "She's one of few that managed to recover," said Yunhyeong. "Not many are able to recover from blood dens like that," he said. "Most of the time it's easier to end their suffering," he said.

"Damn," said Shinwon. "Did you ever have to do that?" He asked, turning to MJ. "Unfortunately," MJ said, sighing. "It's gotten so bad, you'd think they'd get the picture by now," he said. "Vampires will do everything to secure a meal," said Jinyoung. "Nothing new there," he said.

 

~



"Well," said Jinyoung as he observed the room they were given for the night. "Not bad," said Dongwoo. "No," said Jinyoung. "We have yet to declare a territory hostile," he said. "Let's try and keep it that way yeah?" Asked Dongwoo. "I hope it stays that way, we have to go to Seattle and then make our way back towards NYC," said Jinyoung as he went to lay down on one of the beds.

"Something tells me it won't end well," hummed Dongwoo. "I know," said Jinyoung. "We'll have to see what happens," he said.