Chapter 13

The General and His Pet

Dongwoo was hesitant to leave, as instincts pushed him to be with JR. He tried to push passed said instincts though, because his priority was to make sure that Jinyoung would come out of this alive. It seemed that he was the only one to notice how stressed Jinyoung was, but Dongwoo knew better than to address something like that, so he waited until they were on the road before speaking about it.
 

~



"What's wrong?" Asked Dongwoo. "You seem stressed," he said. "Nothing can get passed you can it?" Jinyoung asked, shaking his head. "I'm fine," he said. "I just learned of some news that was rather... Eye opening," he said. "I see," said Dongwoo.

"I'm fine, really," said Jinyoung. "Don't need to worry about me," he said. "I'm not worried," said Dongwoo. "Sure sure," said Jinyoung as he let out a light chuckle. "I'm not, really," Dongwoo said, shaking his head. "Keep telling yourself that," said Jinyoung as he changed lanes.

 

~



Reaching Changkyun's territory wasn't too taxing, and Doyoung was there to greet them again, letting them stay the night in the livingroom since Jinyoung would be leaving in the morning. Jinyoung ate dinner with them before heading out to the lake with Cory following after him. They both sat by the shore, staring out at the water and watching the sun set.

"I never had the chance to say thanks, but thank you," said Cory. "For what?" Asked Jinyoung. "Figuring out the whole thing with Kisu and Jisung," said Cory. "Ah," hummed Jinyoung.

"I always felt that Kisu was with us the entire time," said Cory. "But I didn't want to say anything, in case it wasn't true you know?" He asked. "Makes sense," said Jinyoung. Cory hummed, nodding.

"Where are they anyway?" Asked Jinyoung. "Jisung was sent out on a mission, so," Cory said, shrugging. "What they came to as a compromise was that Kisu was out when they were home and Jisung was out when they got missions, it was easier for them anyway," he said, shrugging again. "Right, since Jisung was registered as a vampire hunter and Kisu wasn't," Jinyoung said, nodding. "Yep," said Cory.

"Did they both come to a mutual decision to do that?" Asked Jinyoung. "They debated it for a while," said Cory. "But it seems they came to a compromise like that for a reason," he said. "Kisu doesn't mind being out, but he understands when Jisung needs to be out during missions," he said. "Right," said Jinyoung.

 

~



Driving to Chicago wasn't too bad, even with Dongwoo driving to let Jinyoung get some sleep. Jinho was rather happy to see them, as it was just him in the house since MJ was out on missions and Kino, Shinwon and Changgu had gone to Toronto to have a small reunion with Hui and the others.

"I don't think word has gotten out yet," said Jinho. "It has," said Jinyoung. "Most of the hunters that call the states home are in Europe right now, trying to go farther into Europe," he said. "At least, that's what my brother told me before he went radio silent a few weeks ago," he added. "Ah," hummed Jinho.

"We return the containers that you gave to us also," said Dongwoo as he handed Jinho a bag. "Oh, you didn't need to," said Jinho as he took the bag from Dongwoo. "It's fine," said Dongwoo.

"Well, you get the same room you were in last time," said Jinho as he nodded. "Fine with us," said Dongwoo. Jinyoung nodded. "No problem there," he said before going to unpack and unwind for the rest of the day.

"Besides the other hunters, who else should I be expecting?" Asked Jinho as he joined Jinyoung on the dock after dinner. "Other packs who work for Kris," said Jinyoung. "Though, not many are in the states anymore," he added. "You also get the regular nomads and such," he said. "Right," hummed Jinho.

"Occasionally you'll get vampires I'm sure," said Jinyoung. "Chani tries to stop by when he can, yeah," said Jinho. "I know Eunki stops by for like 10 minutes before heading out, to wherever he needs to be," he said. "It's mostly been those two though," he added. "Eunki's vital to everyone's information network," said Jinyoung. "Even I go to him when I need something," he said.

"Is that why he isn't dead yet?" Asked Jinho. "Well, that and his rather unique way of hunting," said Jinyoung. "Mm," said Jinho.

 

~



Driving to Detroit was rather uneventful, as by this point they were getting closer to the next territory, which belonged to a pack of shapeshifters led by Jaehyun. They still stopped in Detroit however, to catch up with Sandeul and rest for a couple hours.

"How long are you around for this time?" Asked Sandeul as he was making Jinyoung's drink. "Just a couple hours," said Jinyoung as he leaned against the counter. "It's only another six hours to Ithaca," he said.

"What's up with Dongwoo?" Asked Sandeul. "Just being moody," said Jinyoung as he turned to spot Dongwoo looking out the windows with his hands resting on the table, fingers slightly drumming on the table. "He's just as eager to be done with this as I am," he said. Sandeul hummed, shaking his head. "I certainly don't miss travelling," he said, chuckling some as he handed Jinyoung his drink. "Oh believe me, I'd much rather be home right now," said Jinyoung as he took his drink and walked over to Dongwoo's table, sitting across from him.

"You alright?" Asked Jinyoung. Dongwoo nodded. "Just... Just homesick I guess," he hummed. "Not too much longer now," said Jinyoung. "Yeah, I know," said Dongwoo. "Hopefully the rest of this trip goes by fast," he said. "Yeah, hopefully," hummed Jinyoung.

 

~



"Hello?" Came Jaehyun's voice when Jinyoung called him. "Jaehyun?" Asked Jinyoung. "Yeah, who's this?" Asked Jaehyun. "It's Jinyoung, Kris ordered a territory check," said Jinyoung. "You're heading over now?" Asked Jaehyun. "If you'd let us, otherwise we're heading straight to Albany," said Jinyoung.

"Come on over, maybe you can answer Daniel's question about Rowoon," said Jaehyun. "Is he there now?" Asked Jinyoung. "Just about everyone is, surprisingly," said Jaehyun. "Though I suspect a few of us will be going into Europe soon," he said. "They're pushing east soon aren't they?" Hummed Jinyoung. "Alright, we'll be there soon," he said. "Where are you coming from?" Asked Jaehyun. "Detroit," said Jinyoung. "Alright," said Jaehyun before he hung up.

"Well, that was easy," said Dongwoo. Jinyoung shook his head. "It's the same question Changgu had I'm sure," he said. "I'd like to know to be honest, Rowoon was a vampire before wasn't he?" Asked Dongwoo. "Far as I know, yeah," said Jinyoung. "How odd," hummed Dongwoo.

"When you said you were homesick, was the contract starting to affect you?" Asked Jinyoung. "It was," Dongwoo said, sighing. "But I hope that we can get this damn thing over with soon," he said. "I know the feeling," said Jinyoung. "I'd like to find out exactly why someone from my past is coming after me now of all times," he said. Dongwoo shrugs. "Who knows," he said.