Chapter 2

The General and His Pet

Jinyoung gripped onto the steering wheel as he stared ahead, trying to ignore everything around him and focus on just driving. "Jinyoung," said Dongwoo. "Are you okay?" He asked. Jinyoung took a deep breath. "I'll be fine," he said. "Want me to drive?" Asked Dongwoo. "No no," said Jinyoung. "I'll be fine, we're almost there," he said. Dongwoo hummed. "Okay," he said. Jinyoung let out another deep breath as he continued driving, relaxing slightly in his seat.

When they finally got to Detroit Jinyoung parked in front of the cafe owned by Taehyun and got out with Dongwoo following after him. Jinyoung made sure to lock the door before heading into the cafe.

"Hey hyung," said Sandeul as he was cleaning the machines. "Hey," said Jinyoung. "Taehyun in?" He asked. "Yoonsan, is he in?" Asked Sandeul as he looked towards the camera on the ceiling behind him. "He is, Taehyun you got a visitor," came Yoonsan's voice on the walkie sitting on the counter. "I'll be right down," came Taehyun's voice.

"Northern territories run I assume?" Asked Hyojin as he stood at the register. "Yeah, pretty much," Jinyoung said with a shake of his head. "I'll have the usual," he said, going to pay for it. "Can I have a piece of cake?" Asked Dongwoo. "Sure," said Jinyoung. Hyojin nodded and rung up the order, handing back the change and handing the order to Sandeul before going to get a piece of cake and handing it to Dongwoo. Dongwoo nodded and went to sit down while Jinyoung waited on his drink.

"What brings you to my city?" Asked Taehyun as he entered the cafe. "Territory runs," said Jinyoung as he shrugged. "You know how Kris is," he said. "Right," Taehyun as he sighed. "Well," he said, motioning for Jinyoung to sit down. Jinyoung went to sit down after getting his drink from Sandeul. Taehyun sat across from him.

"I heard Byungchan was in town," said Jinyoung. "You just missed him," said Taehyun. "Left an hour ago," he said. "Well darn," said Jinyoung. "I was supposed to pass a hello to him from Seungwoo, since he's back," he said. "Ah," hummed Taehyun.

"How's things been here?" Asked Jinyoung. "Fine," said Taehyun. "Sandeul's been fine here," he said. "Any troubles with the vampires?" Asked Jinyoung. "No," said Taehyun. "They've kept their word," he said. Jinyoung nodded.

"I gotta say though," said Sandeul as he worked on cleaning the machines. "Things have been relatively tame here compared to back home," he said. "I do miss travelling around with you though, Jinyoung," he added. Jinyoung chuckled, shaking his head. "Besides Dongwoo, you've been the most loyal," he said. Sandeul grinned. "I'm just looking out for the one who practically raised me," he said. "Yeah yeah," said Jinyoung.

"How long are you two around for?" Asked Taehyun. "Not too long," said Jinyoung. "A couple days at least," he said. "Unless you want us gone now?" He asked. "No no," said Taehyun. "We have an extra apartment open upstairs I think," he said. "So you'll be staying there for the duration of your stay," he said. "Alright, thank you," said Jinyoung.

 

~



"They've been nice," said Dongwoo as he sat down on the couch. "Taehyun tends to be nicer to certain people, you know that," said Jinyoung as he walked over and sat down beside Dongwoo with a bowl of popcorn to share. "We got a drama to watch," he said. "Right, that one about the twins," said Dongwoo as he nodded. Jinyoung quickly pulled it up on the tv before pressing play, settling down after the intro started playing.

"You know," said Dongwoo as they were inbetween episodes. "Been and Jin remind me of Xion and his brother somewhat," he said. "I can see that, yeah," said Jinyoung as he nodded. "Woodam too, reminds me of Hwanhee," he said. "They share similar pasts, but I wonder," he hummed. "If they are real people?" Asked Dongwoo. Jinyoung nodded. "I wouldn't be surprised," said Dongwoo. "Twins are rare in our world, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another set of twins out there," he said.

"This last episode was rather eye opening," said Jinyoung. "We got to learn about Jin's past, yeah," said Dongwoo as he nodded. "He had his reasons for doing what he did," he said. "But sometimes I wonder if it was even the right thing to do?" He asked. "He thought his twin was killed off, what would you have done in that situation?" Asked Jinyoung. "I guess you're right about that one," said Dongwoo. "Sometimes some people's actions are justified, sometimes they are not," said Jinyoung.

"Like what happened between you and your brother?" Asked Dongwoo. Jinyoung sighed. "That fight wasn't meant to happen," he said. "You nearly got killed by him," said Dongwoo. "Why does it matter?" Asked Jinyoung. "You weren't even supposed to be given to me," he said. "I was given to you anyway," said Dongwoo. "I think I have some right to be worried about you," he said. "You say that because you want to stay alive," said Jinyoung.

"Oi," said Dongwoo. "That's not entirely true," he said. "I'd happily die for you, if I could," he said. "Under those other hunters, I was nothing," he said. "Under you, I have a reason to risk everything," he said.

"Can we just continue this drama?" Asked Jinyoung, refusing to speak anymore on the matter. "Yeah yeah," said Dongwoo. Jinyoung nodded and moved onto the next episode.

 

~



"I'm sorry," said Dongwoo as they got ready for bed after their drama marathon. "For what?" Asked Jinyoung. "Bringing up that fight," said Dongwoo. Jinyoung sighed. "It's okay," he said. "I know I shouldn't be so hung up on something like that but," he said, shrugging.

"Your brother betrayed you basically," said Dongwoo. "Yeah, pretty much," said Jinyoung. "And yet you continue to trust him?" Asked Dongwoo. "We've been through thick and thin for each other," said Jinyoung. "Even before that fight, he made sure that I was okay on going to my death," he said. "You wouldn't believe it but," he said, shrugging. "I was walking to my death that day, and ended up winning a fight I wasn't supposed to," he said. "What happened?" Asked Dongwoo.

"I did something I swore never to do again," said Jinyoung. "I slaughtered an entire town," he said, sighing. "Why did you do that?" Asked Dongwoo. "I lost my temper," said Jinyoung. "Something that you know doesn't happen so easily with me," he said, going to lay down on the bed with a small huff. "Ah..." Said Dongwoo, finally understanding the reason he had been given to Jinyoung as he went to lay down on the other side of the bed.

"Do you get it now?" Asked Jinyoung. "Sort of," said Dongwoo. "I may need some time to process it but," he said, shrugging. "I'll give you time to process it," said Jinyoung. Dongwoo hummed in response.