Chapter 3

The General and His Pet

Jinyoung took a deep breath, coming back to the world after meditating for a couple hours after not being able to sleep. He opened his eyes and found himself back in bed, staring up at the ceiling. Dongwoo must've moved him again it seemed. Not being bothered by that, Jinyoung got up, wandering out of the room and into the livingroom where Dongwoo was sitting on the couch watching some TV. "Morning," he said. "Mornin," said Dongwoo as he nodded, turning his head to look at Jinyoung. Jinyoung wondered into the kitchen to find something to drink before returning with a bottle of water and sitting down beside Dongwoo.

"What's the plan today?" Asked Dongwoo. "Checking on the truck and making sure it'll last the trip," said Jinyoung. "And then we need to make preparations for visiting the next territory," he said. "Which territory is that?" Asked Dongwoo. "Jinho's," said Jinyoung. "Ah right, they're still relatively new," said Dongwoo. "We'd have to let them know we were coming," he said. Jinyoung nodded.

"I saw you were meditating last night," said Dongwoo. "Did you move me?" Asked Jinyoung. "I think at some point you did fall asleep, so I did, yeah," said Dongwoo as he scratched the back of his head. Jinyoung hummed in response.

 

~



"Jinyoung, you got a visitor," came Yoonsan's voice from the walkie attached to Jinyoung's front pocket. Jinyoung paused in checking the truck, going to speak into the walkie. "Who is it?" He asked. "MK," said Yoonsan. "I'm across the street in the parking lot, how'd he miss me?" Asked Jinyoung. "I'll send him over," said Yoonsan. "K," said Jinyoung before he hooked the walkie back onto his front pocket.

"Been a while hyung," called MK as he walked over a few minutes later. "How'd you miss me? I was literally across the street," said Jinyoung as he turned to look at MK. MK scratched the back of his head in a sheepish manner. "I'm passing through, heard you were here thanks to Hyojin updating the chat," he said.

"Heading west?" Asked Jinyoung. "Home, actually," said MK. "I would've went straight to Toronto but I came over to update you on something," he said. Jinyoung blinked, his attention fully on MK as he wiped his hands off with a rag. "What is it?" He asked.

"Don't tell anyone you know about this, but someone's after your pet," said MK. "They tried to get Mingi and Sanggyun but failed, so now they're coming after you and Dongwoo," he said. "Who is it?" Asked Jinyoung. "Some people who aren't too keen on having this merge between the vampire hunting and the werewolf hunting associations via the Treasure Box faction," said MK.

"It's a good thing you ended up joining Kangmin's faction then," remarked Jinyoung. "It seems so," hummed MK. "Just be careful," he said. "I will," said Jinyoung. MK nodded.

"Tell Seungwoo to be careful when you get home yeah?" Asked Jinyoung as he returned to working on the truck. "I don't know where Mingi is but he should be returning soon," he said. "Yeosang and San are supposed to be back soon anyway," he said. "Unless Seonghwa decided to have them stay with him," he said. "Yunho knows to be careful, Wontak already debriefed him," said MK. "Good," said Jinyoung.

"How is Kangmin treating you?" Asked Jinyoung. "Fine," said MK. "I'm getting missions when the others are busy, as I know that you guys would need me for something at some point so," he said, shrugging. "Right," said Jinyoung.

 

~



"Done with the truck?" Asked Dongwoo from his spot on the couch as Jinyoung entered the apartment. "Yeah," said Jinyoung. "What did MK want?" Asked Dongwoo. "Just needed to talk to me about something," said Jinyoung. "We'll be leaving in the morning," he said. "Alright," said Dongwoo.

"I learned some rather interesting news earlier," said Jinyoung as he went to sit down beside Dongwoo on the couch. "Oh?" Asked Dongwoo. "It seems Seungwoo decided to step down," said Jinyoung. "He named Byungchan his successor," he said. "Kris was okay with it?" Asked Dongwoo. "Mhm," hummed Jinyoung.

"The kid will be good for them," said Dongwoo. "He learned a lot from you," he said. "He did," hummed Jinyoung. "He's a good kid," he said. "I think he's going to change his side of the pack for the better," he said. "No offense to Seungwoo of course, but Byungchan just gives off a friendlier aura," he said.

 

~



"Ya'll are leaving huh?" Asked Taehyun as Jinyoung handed him the walkie they were using while in Detroit. "Yeah," said Jinyoung. "We need to get going," he said. "Tell Jinho we said hello," said Taehyun. "Will do," said Jinyoung as he nodded. "Have a safe trip then," said Taehyun. "Yeah, yeah," said Jinyoung as he turned and headed out to the truck.

"Hello," said Jinho after Jinyoung called him. "Jinho?" Asked Jinyoung. "Yeah, who is this?" Asked Jinho. "It's Jinyoung, I'm calling to let you know that Kris ordered a territory check, so I'm checking on the northern territories," said Jinyoung. "I see," said Jinho. "I assume Chicago is next?" He asked. "Yes," said Jinyoung.

"Come on over then, where are you coming from?" Asked Jinho. "Detroit, Taehyun says hello," said Jinyoung. "Alright, and thanks for telling me," said Jinho. "We'll see you in a few hours," said Jinyoung. "See you," said Jinho before he hung up.

"That conversation went well," said Dongwoo. "Of course it did," said Jinyoung. "I'm pretty sure people are expecting it now," he said. "They're not the only new territory," he said. "Right, we got the other new territory between Ithaca, Boston and NYC," said Dongwoo. "We'll take our time," said Jinyoung. "There's no set time limit, I think Kris is fine with us taking our time," he said. Dongwoo hummed in response.

 

~



"I always wondered," Dongwoo said after a few hours of silence. "Why do you meditate?" He asked. "It's to stay in touch with my wolf, I guess," said Jinyoung. "You've been together for centuries, are you not getting along with your wolf?" Asked Dongwoo. "I am," said Jinyoung. "But I don't want another repeat of what happened before to happen again," he said. "The thing with that village huh?" Asked Dongwoo. Jinyoung nodded.

"I still don't get it," said Dongwoo. "Why was I given to you anyway? Yedam could've kept me around," he said. Jinyoung hummed, adjusting in his seat slightly before changing lanes. "It's hard to understand my brother's reasoning behind things," he said after a few minutes. "I never understood it either to be honest," he confessed, sighing. "But I'm sure it was for a good reason," he said.

"Yeah, but," said Dongwoo. "He could've let me go," he said. "You could've let me go," he said. "Why then, do you choose to keep me around?" He asked.

"...I don't know," Jinyoung confessed as he sighed. "I don't know why I continue to keep you around," he said. "I could let you go right now, and I wouldn't be sad about it," he said.

"But you won't," said Dongwoo. "No," said Jinyoung. "I won't," he said. "Then why?" Asked Dongwoo. "Like I said, I don't know," said Jinyoung.