Chapter 18

The General and His Pet

"Why did Yunho agree to you turning me?" Jinyoung asked San as they finished hunting. "I don't know," said San. "He could've easily said no and ended your suffering," he said. "I bet you that was what he was thinking," said Jinyoung. "I don't know," hummed San. "Yunho's not who you think he is," he said.

"You sound like you know him very well," said Jinyoung as they started walking back to the truck. "When you'e forced to interact with the kind you hate the most, no offense, you learn some things," said San.

"You two aren't mates then," said Jinyoung. "No," said San. "We just happened to be in the same area," he said. Jinyoung hummed, nodding. "I'll see you around then," he said, getting into the truck. "Yeah yeah," said San. Jinyoung started the truck, waving to San before backing out of his parking spot and heading back towards Albany.

 

~



"Welcome back," said Taeil as he opened the door. "Thank you," said Jinyoung, walking in when Taeil moved to let him in. "Dongwoo's in the guest room," said Taeil. Jinyoung nodded and headed to the guest room.

"You're back!" Said Dongwoo as Jinyoung entered the room. Jinyoung nodded. "I bet you're wondering why I asked San to turn you," said Dongwoo. "I asked San and he didn't even have an answer," said Jinyoung. "So yes, I'm asking you now," he said.

"Well, the short answer is that I didn't want to reveal who held my contract," said Dongwoo. "But the long answer is, I don't think anyone likes the idea of a new general, considering how long you've been at this," he said. "You realize that this was all for nothing right?" Asked Jinyoung. "Kris wouldn't let me continue to be general, it'd cause an uproar," he said.

"JR would be general I know, but you can help him along the way," said Dongwoo. "I think people would be okay with the idea of a new general if you were there to guide him," he said. Jinyoung hummed in response.

 

~



"Hello?" Asked JR after Jinyoung called him. "JR, I'm going to need you to meet me in Toronto," said Jinyoung. "For what reason exactly?" Asked JR. "It's concerning the contract," said Jinyoung. "Are you taking it back?" Asked JR. "I'll explain everything when we see each other," said Jinyoung. "And if you don't feel comfortable coming alone, then bring someone if you must," he said. "Alright," said JR. "I'll see you in Toronto," he said before hanging up.

"Now to tell Kris," Jinyoung said with a sigh. "I think he'll be okay with it," said Dongwoo. "I'm sure," said Jinyoung. "But JR isn't apart of the pack, so he'll be a little hesitant," he said. "Give it a shot," said Dongwoo. "It might go well," he said. Jinyoung nodded.

 

~



"It's rare that you call me, what is wrong Jinyoung?" Asked Kris when Jinyoung called him. "I had to cut my run short due to some issues," said Jinyoung. "But Yunho is finishing it for me, he should be emailing you about the last two places," he said. "I got it a few days ago," said Kris. "Is there something else?" He asked.

"I'm declaring a new general," said Jinyoung. "Oh," said Kris. "This is serious then," he said. "Yes," said Jinyoung. "You want to have a pack meeting about it?" Asked Kris. "If possible," said Jinyoung. "With everyone present," he said. "I'll see if Yedam and Yixing will be there," said Kris. "Where are we meeting?" He asked. "Yuto's Starbucks," said Jinyoung. "I'll tell Byungchan then, or do you want Seungwoo there?" Asked Kris. "Either is fine," said Jinyoung. "Alright, have a safe trip home," said Kris before he hung up.

"Well, that was easier than I thought," said Dongwoo. "Let's get packed up then," said Jinyoung as he went to do so. Dongwoo went to check on the truck to make sure they didn't need to change the oil or anything.

"You guys are leaving?" Asked Taeil as he met Jinyoung outside. "Yeah, we need to head on home," said Jinyoung. "Do you need to hunt before we go?" Asked Dongwoo as he peeked out from the truck. "No," said Jinyoung. "I'll be fine," he said. "I'll hunt along the way if I need to," he said. "Alright," said Dongwoo before he went back to checking the truck. Jinyoung went to pack up the truck, putting his bag under the backseat and closing the back door.

After making sure the truck would last the trip home Jinyoung and Dongwoo left, waving to Taeil who saw them go.

 

~



"What kind of crazy shenanigans did you get yourself into if Kris is calling a meeting?" Asked Yedam after Jinyoung picked up the phone when Yedam called him. "Well, Jun is dead," said Jinyoung. "But there's more to it," he said. "I have a feeling it's more than just you announcing a new general isn't it?" Asked Yedam. "Yes," said Jinyoung. Yedam hummed in response. "I'm lucky to be in the states right now, Yixing is taking the next flight to Toronto," he said.

"Can you tell Yixing to meet at Yuto's Starbucks?" Asked Jinyoung. "I think Kris already told him, he told me, so," said Yedam. "Alright," said Jinyoung. "See you there hyung," said Yedam before he hung up.

Jinyoung blinked in shock. "He hasn't called me that in so long," he said. "Really?" Asked Dongwoo. Jinyoung nodded. "We haven't referred to each other as family like that in years, the last time this happened was before I got you," he hummed. "He's worried for you then," said Dongwoo. "It seems so," said Jinyoung.

 

~



Byungchan and Seungwoo were already at the coffee shop when Jinyoung arrived with Dongwoo, having picked up JR from the airport before going straight to the Starbucks. Yedam and Yixing arrived a few minutes later with Kris, and everyone went to sit around Byungchan and Seungwoo's table.

"It's been a long time since all of us were around to discuss a new general being appointed," said Yedam as he crossed his arms in thought. "It was just before I moved my side of the pack to Berlin permanently," hummed Yixing. "It was when I came into power wasn't it?" Hummed Seungwoo as he looked thoughtful.

"So what were we all called here for?" Asked Byungchan as he looked at Jinyoung then at JR. "Well," said Jinyoung. "Due to Jun's interference I had to pass on Dongwoo's contract to someone, and I wouldn't pass it on to just anyone," he said. "I knew you were looking for any surviving relatives from the human side of our family," said Yedam. "I guess you found him huh?" He asked.

"I was shocked, when I found out I was related to you to be fair," said JR. "It was hard to process, until all the stories I was told made sense," he said. "I'm a turned werewolf though, so I'm probably the last person in Jinyoung's family from his human side," he said.

"You lead the pack that moved the Seattle right?" Asked Seungwoo. "No, but I am a part of that pack," said JR. "I led it for a time, before a merge happened," he said, shrugging.

"So you're the new general then?" Asked Seungwoo. "I guess so," said JR. "I still hold the contract," he said. "But I want to know why," he said. "Well, the simple answer is," said Jinyoung as he took a deep breath. "Focus your sense of smell on me and you'd know immediately," he said. Everyone did as told, with Seungwoo opening his eyes immediately afterwards.

"Who turned you?" Asked Seungwoo. "San did," said Jinyoung. "I would've been fine with my death but Yunho approved of my turning," he said. "And now you're basically Seungsik," said Seungwoo. "Yep," said Jinyoung.

"Well, I know why you needed a pack meeting now," said Yixing. "I'll still be in the pack," said Jinyoung. "However I'm going to need to take a year away from being in the pack to get used to being part vampire now," he said. "I'll be with Chani, granted he'll allow it," he said. "I am fine with this," said Kris.

"In the meantime Gongchan will help you," said Jinyoung as he turned to JR. "Just explain what you're there for, and he'll help you," he said. "What about my old pack?" Asked JR. "And my missions as a vampire hunter?" He added. "They can be your sub-pack, like what we have," said Seungwoo. "I'll have to discuss it with them, but I'm sure they'll be fine with it," he said. "Missions will go as usual, trust me I'm in the same boat as you are," said Yedam.

"Welcome to the ranks of top general then," said Seungwoo. "Yes, welcome," said Yedam. "I'll try not to disappoint you immediately," said JR. "We'll keep our expectations low," said Kris. "Don't worry," said Byungchan. "I'm in your boat too," he said. "I was declared general a few weeks back," he said.

"How's that working out for you?" Asked Jinyoung. "It's been easy, but I'm heading into Europe pretty soon, we're pushing east," said Byungchan. "You, Subin and Seungsik," said Kris. "Yes," said Byungchan. "Stay safe out there," said Seungwoo. "I will," said Byungchan.

 

~



"So we have a new general huh?" Asked Gongchan once Jinyoung got back to the house with Dongwoo and JR. "Yeah," said Jinyoung. "Where will you be then?" Asked Gongchan. "Learning to keep to hunting animals with Chani for a few months," said Jinyoung. "Don't burn down the house while I'm gone," he said, turning to JR. "No problem," said JR. "I'll be here to keep an eye on things," said Gongchan. "Luckily the others are out right now," he said. Jinyoung nodded.
 

~



"Well, this is it huh?" Asked Dongwoo as he stood outside with Jinyoung as he prepared to head to Chani's house. "Yeah," said Jinyoung. "Things will get easier," he said, turning to Dongwoo. "I know," said Dongwoo. "Just be safe," he said. "I will," said Jinyoung before he sprinted off, heading to Chani's coven house.