Chapter 16

The General and His Pet

"Yonghoon," said Jinyoung as Yonghoon finally arrived the next day. "Hello," said Yonghoon. "You're alone?" Asked Jinyoung. Yonghoon nodded. "For the most part," he said.

"What can you tell me about Jun?" Asked Jinyoung as they went into the kitchen for some privacy. "He's in trouble isn't he?" Asked Yonghoon. Jinyoung nodded. "Well," said Yonghoon as he sighed. "I can't tell you much about him at the moment," he said. "He joined us after Harin left due to Dongmyeong leaving," he said. "He never told us about where he came from though," he said.

"Why did you come to the states if you don't mind me asking?" Asked Jinyoung. "To have a new start I guess," said Yonghoon. "Things weren't working out well in Europe after Dongmyeong left so after earning enough money to move to the states we did," he said.

"Why didn't you go straight to Dongmyeong?" Asked Jinyoung. "We did," said Yonghoon. "But Gunhak wasn't looking to add any new members to his pack and Xiao said no when we asked," he said. "Said something about not knowing who we are and such," he said.

"I think Dongmyeong is under Xiao's jurisdiction since he never really joined Xion's pack," said Jinyoung. "So Xiao probably had the final say in things," he said. "Right," hummed Yonghoon.

"You have a visitor," said Taeil as he walked into the kitchen. "Who is it?" Asked Jinyoung as he turned to Taeil. "Yunho I think was what he said his name was," said Taeil. "Also a vampire named San," he said. Jinyoung hummed. "Let them in," he said. Taeil nodded and went to let them in.

"Who sent you two over?" Asked Jinyoung as San and Yunho walked into the kitchen. "Byungchan was getting slightly worried," said Yunho as he shrugged. "And I got the mission to kill Jun so," he added, shrugging again. "I just happened to be around," said San.

"Any news about why Rowoon was brought back?" Asked Jinyoung. San shook his head no. "Seonghwa says he never brought another person back using a tattoo, Mingi's the only other person with a tattoo as his contract item," he said.

"Do I have permission to go after Jun?" Asked Yunho as he turned to Yonghoon. "Do I have a choice?" Asked Yonghoon. "No, but I thought I'd ask anyway," said Yunho. "I don't even know why we let him into the pack," said Yonghoon as he scratched the back of his head. "So go for it," he said.

"I find it odd that you're one of few that would rather use a rifle to get your kills than your wolf form," said Jinyoung. "It's effective," said Yunho. "And I put my rifle away except for special occasions, it's all pistols now," he said. Jinyoung hummed in response.

 

~



"So how are we going to do this?" Asked Jinyoung as he sat down to plan with Yunho, San and Dongwoo. "Well," said Yunho. "He's after you isn't he?" He asked. "Why don't we use you as bait?" He asked. "No," growled Dongwoo. "I refuse to let that happen," he said.

"It's fine," said Jinyoung. "You three have my back," he said. "Well, I'm just along for the fun," said San as he shrugged. "But sure," he said.

"I am not letting you be bait," spat Dongwoo. "What other choice do we have here?" Asked Jinyoung. "If you end up being bait then he can take the contract and transfer it to himself," he said. "I won't let that happen," said Dongwoo. "You may not have a choice in the matter," said Jinyoung.

"I'm going to have to call in some backup," said Yunho. "And who were you thinking of calling over?" Asked Jinyoung. "MK," said Yunho. "I know he's already had experience in hunting our kind but," he said, shrugging. "I think it's best to at least have another hunter around, in case there's trouble," he said. "You're the hunter here," said Jinyoung. "So it's your call," he said.

"I think once MK gets here we'll go after him," said Yunho after he thought it over. "Fine with me," said Dongwoo. Jinyoung nodded. "I'm fine with that," he said. "I should get going then," said Yunho as he stood. "I don't think Taeil likes it when we make his house a meeting place," he said. "I'll be around," said San. "I need to hunt then I'll be back," he said. "Just tell me when MK gets here," he said, standing. "Will do," said Yunho as he nodded. Yunho and San soon left, and Jinyoung leaned back in his seat with a sigh, shaking his head some.

 

~



"Why are you so willing to go to your death anyway?" Asked Dongwoo when they were in the room Taeil had let them stay in for the duration of their stay. "You know the reason," said Jinyoung. "It was one mistake," said Dongwoo. "One mistake that will haunt me for the rest of my days," said Jinyoung.

"Everyone makes mistakes you know," said Dongwoo. "Your kind is known for their tempers," he said. "I've been alive for almost two thousand years now," said Jinyoung. "I know how to reign in that temper, and yet I was pushed to my limits to destroy an entire god damn village," he said.

"What has you feeling so guilty about it? It was a mistake," said Dongwoo. "The children," mumbled Jinyoung as he looked away. "...Oh," said Dongwoo. "You get it now?" Asked Jinyoung. "Now I do," said Dongwoo.

 

~



"I'm sorry," said Dongwoo. "For what?" Asked Jinyoung. "For not knowing how much this was really affecting you," said Dongwoo. "I hide it well don't I?" Asked Jinyoung.

"When you were fighting against the hunters that had me," said Dongwoo. "Were you willing to die even then?" He asked. Jinyoung nodded. "I wasn't supposed to win that fight," he said. "Yedam even asked me if I was okay with it," he said. "I had been trying to catch the werewolf hunters' attention for a few decades before that confrontation," he said.

"If I do die with this confrontation, make sure that JR can handle this, okay?" Asked Jinyoung. "No problem," said Dongwoo. "I'm sure the others won't be too pleased with the thought of a new general, but JR is a good guy," said Jinyoung. Dongwoo nodded.