Chapter 2

Last Chance

Mi Nyu’s point of view

 

I stepped out of Shinwoo’s car to stare at the beautiful house I once lived in. "are you sure you’re all okay with me staying here?"

"Of course!" Jeremy said grinning "it’ll be just like before!"

"Except this time you don’t have to hide anything" Shinwoo added thoughtfully "do you?"

"N-no! Nothing!"

"Mi Nyu I’ll help you unpack!" Oppa announce as he got out of his car. "It’s okay Oppa you don’t have to" I said sheepishly

"But I want to! It’s the least I can do!" Oppa said as he grabbed my arm and my suitcase from the trunk of Shinwoo’s car "come on! I’ll get your suitcase" I knew he wasn’t gonna leave it, Oppa can be so stubborn sometimes… "MI NYU!" he called from the house. "Coming!"

Oppa helped me unpack all my stuff; it didn’t take long since I didn’t have much to begin with. When we finished we went downstairs to the kitchen where Shinwoo was brewing some tea with Jeremy sitting at the counter.

Where’s Tae-Kyung?

"Where’s Manager Ma and Coordinator Wang?" I asked aloud. As if he read my mind Shinwoo responded "Tae-Kyung went to the studio he said he wouldn’t be back for awhile and we shouldn’t wait for him. And Coordinator Wang and Manager Ma went home"

"Sorry Mi Nyu but I have a date!" Oppa said out of the blue. "Huh?" was my only response. "Yoo He Yi finally agreed to go on a date with me after MONTHS of my asking! If I don’t go now I won’t get a second chance!"

"Oh…" I looked down. I want Oppa to be here but I obviously can’t ruin this for him…

"If I had known before that you were coming I wouldn’t have set the date for today" he continued to explain

"Its fine" I gave a weak smile. "You’ve been waiting so long for this don’t let me ruin it for you"

Go Minam looked up "you’re so understanding! You’re the best sister EVER!" he said as he gave me a bear hug.

He started to run for the door and dug through his pockets as he opened the door. "Thank you so much sister!" he called as he exited

"Well, now its only us, its gonna be a small party." Shinwoo said speaking to no one in particular.

 

"But were still having the party right?!" Jeremy asked worry showing on his face. Jeremy always loved throwing parties.

"Yes!" I responded strongly. Even if Tae-Kyung and Oppa aren’t here I still have Shinwoo and Jeremy and that’s all I need!

"Let’s go to the convenient store then!" Jeremy said excitedly

I looked over at Shinwoo, who was quietly sipping his tea "Are you coming too then Shinwoo?" I said with my warm smile, He smiled in return. "Sure" he said softly as he set his cup down.

Jeremy’s point of view

When we got back from the convenient store Shinwoo started up the grill and put the hamburgers on. While Mi Nyu and I set the table and filled it with goodies that we’d picked up from the convenient store. When everything was ready we sat at the small circular table crammed with so much food that we barely had room for our plates.

"So what are we celebrating this time?" Shinwoo asked not bothering to hide his happiness as Mi Nyu sat between us with a hamburger on her plate. I looked at my own hamburger and I said thoughtfully "we’ve got good food, our vacation, and Mi Nyu to celebrate!"

"Me?" Mi Nyu asked innocently with a little surprise in her voice. So cute!

"Yeah! It’s been forever since we’ve seen you!" I was so happy to be able to talk to her again it was impossible to contain my excitement. "Tell us how Africa was!"

"Yes how was your trip? Did they treat you nicely there?" Shinwoo added looking at Mi Nyu

"O-oh yes! It was great there! The children were so fun and the sisters were all very kind." She was smiling. I felt like I could melt right there. Oh how I’ve missed that smile. No! I need to stop these thoughts! Mi Nyu said she only likes me as a friend!

We spent the rest of the night talking about how we had all been and goofing off.

"Yawn, I think I’d better be going to bed" Mi Nyu’s eyes were droopy, she must be tired from the long flight. She got up but stumbled on her chair as she took a step towards the door and Shinwoo.

"YAH!" I called as I stretched my arms to catch her but it was pointless she was falling away from me.

"OH!" Shinwoo said surprised as he quickly stood to catch her. She fell right into his arms, she was asleep. Shinwoo swept her off her limp feat and held her princess style. "She must me exhausted from the long flight here, I’ll take her to her room." He explained, his face was completely unreadable except for the worry that showed in his eyes as he looked at her.

"O-okay ill clean up here" I didn’t know what else to say. He nodded. I picked up a plate and felt completely useless as he walked away.

 

Shinwoo’s point of view

Why didn’t I realize sooner that she was this tired? Why didn’t she simply tell us? We would’ve understood. Knowing her she probably didn’t want to disappoint Jeremy.

I opened the guestroom door carefully. The room was white and very bare, with only a bed, dresser, desk with a simple wooden chair, bathroom, and closet. It was the simplest room we had.

I walked up beside the bed and set Mi Nyu down gently. I pulled the covers over her making sure not to stir her sleep. She looked so peaceful…and beautiful. Sigh…why’d she have to fall for Tae-Kyung? I loved her. Why couldn’t she love me? I brush a piece of her hair away from her face, and started to stand when I heard her move slightly.

"Stay…please" I heard her whisper, she was just barely awake. Don’t get your hope up Shinwoo. She’s probably mistaken and thinks your Tae-Kyung…

"Shinwoo…" she whispered MY name. MY name! No! DON’T let your hope get up Shinwoo…this is how you’ve gotten your heart broken before. "Are you sure you want me to stay?" I asked but it was pointless, she was already asleep.

I softly got down and sat on the ground then crossed my arms and rested them and my head on her bed "just for a little while…" I whispered and closed my eyes slowly…

….

When I opened them in the morning I was surprised to see that I was still in Mi Nyu’s room looking directly at Mi Nyu. I’d spent the night there. My whole body had Goosebumps because of the cold. But my hand was strangely warm; I looked at it and was surprised to see that Mi Nyu was gently holding it in hers while she slept. My heart raced. It means nothing. She just happened to do it in her sleep. I reminded myself.

I slowly pulled my hand out of her grasp, not wanting to wake her up I moved as slowly and quietly as I could. I knew it wouldn’t have made a difference whether I walked quietly or ran out of there, even if I’d ran out loudly she would have slept through it.

When I closed her bedroom door behind me I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. I waited for my heart to slow down before walking down stairs to the kitchen. Jeremy was already drinking orange juice when I entered.

Jeremy’s point of view

Last night after I finished putting the dishes away I had walked upstairs to see how Mi Nyu was doing. When I opened the door Shinwoo was SLEEPING there! I was so shocked and to add to my shock I saw Mi Nyu’s hand slowly reached for Shinwoo’s and GRABBED it in her sleep! Then she rolled to her side and faced him! My mouth made an ‘O’ shape and I quickly closed the door. What’s going on?! It couldn’t be! They couldn’t be! I thought her and Tae-Kyung were- Tae-Kyung! I can’t let him find out! He’ll be FURIOUS!

Just then Tae-Kyung had walked by and stopped in front of me "why are you standing like that in front of Mi Nyu’s room?" he asked suspiciously. "No reason! Its just…she-she’s sleeping!" Tae-Kyung raised an eyebrow. "Whatever" he said before he continued to walk towards his room. Phew! But what’s going on between Shinwoo and Mi Nyu?

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of steps going down the stairs, it was Shinwoo! He reached the kitchen and started right away with making a pot of tea ~ like he did every morning. I stared at him nervously wanting to ask about last night but not knowing how to bring it up. Shinwoo seemed oblivious to my staring.

"Uhh…" I started

"Yes?"

"A-about last night…"

"Mm?" Shinwoo seemed so calm as he continued to make his tea.

"You spent the night in Mi Nyu’s room…" I said nervously

Shinwoo picked on to what I meant "ah. That. She told me to stay and I was only planning on staying for a little while but I accidentally fell asleep." Shinwoo explained calmly

I wanted to ask about the hand holding but something in the back of my mind told me I shouldn’t.

Just then Mi Nyu came down the stairs slowly. Her hair was still slightly wet from the shower. Her steps were slow and she yawned as she approached the counter.

"Good morning" she greeted us. "Where’s Oppa?"

"Still asleep." I replied " He could sleep in ‘til noon if we didn’t wake him, I’d better wake him up" I got up from my chair at the counter and looked at Shinwoo once more before heading up the stairs.

Mi Nyu’s point of view

I watched Jeremy walk up the stairs before turning my attention to Shinwoo.

"Good morning" I said again with a sleepy smile. I still wasn’t completely awake.

"Good morning" Shinwoo said in his usual gentle tone "would you like some?" he gave a glance toward the pot in his hand. "Sure" I said sleepily. He grabbed for another cup and poured mine first, handing me the hot tea carefully.

"Thank you" I said as I accepted the cup. It was warm; I smelled it and smiled. Shinwoo always made the best tea. "It smells perfect" I complemented

Shinwoo smiled softly and took up his own cup of tea, "Thank you" he said before he took a sip. Shinwoo’s always so gentle and kind. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched him sip his tea.

"Aren’t you gonna have any?" I snapped out of my trance and felt my face heat. "Ah, yes of course" I said and took a sip. "It’s really good" I heard myself saying without meaning to.

Shinwoo smiled again. "Thank you"

 

Jeremy’s point of view

That Go Minam! Why’s he so hard to wake up?!

I continued to tug on the cover sheet but he refused to let go. I gave one hard pull; finally I pulled it off! I went around the side of his bed to look him in the face.

"YAH! I don’t see why I have to wake you up EVERY-!" I got a good look at Go Minam’s face, "are you crying?" I asked skeptically.

"No." Go Minam answered curtly, his voice was strained. Sheesh how long had he been crying?

"Tell me what happened." I said seriously.

"Nothing happened!" his voice cracked. Yeah like I’ll believe THAT.

"Just tell me did the date go bad?" I asked trying to sound concerned

He nodded.

"Did she say something?"

"Yes." Go Minam sounded annoyed now.

"What’d she say?"

"That she HATES me!" his voice cracked again. "What’s WRONG with her?! I spend half a year trying to get her to go on a date with me and when she does she says THAT?!" he sneered at that last word.

"I hate woman!" he continued "Geez! I need to get away from here! And away from HER!" at that he stormed out of the room.

I followed him down stairs where he ran into Shinwoo and Mi Nyu in the kitchen.

"Let’s go somewhere!" he yelled out

Mi Nyu had a puzzled look on her face. "Where?" she simply asked

Go Minam looked at her quickly. "Somewhere! ANYWHERE!" he yelled again

Shinwoo stayed calm "camping maybe?" he suggested

Go Minam looked at him expectantly "camping?"

"Yes, I know a great place that I used to go for camping. Very secluded and by a river" Shinwoo responded

The word ‘secluded’ caught Go Minam’s attention "perfect! Just what I-I mean ‘WE’ need!"

Camping did sound fun…and I hadn’t been camping in so long…

"I’M IN!" I chimed my vote.

"Great!" Go Minam responded then looked at Shinwoo expectantly, "I'm not against the idea of going somewhere for our vacation" Shinwoo said taking a sip of his tea.

Go Minam and I both turned our attention to Mi Nyu. She looked at Shinwoo quickly, then us. "I'm in!" she said with her usual determined look on. So cute!

"What’s this about camping?" we all looked to the stairs where we saw Tae-Kyung walking down with his usual scowl in place.

"Tae-Kyung!" Mi Nyu simply said

Go Minam marched right up to Tae-Kyung and stopped right in front of him. "We’re going camping! Are you coming?"

Tae-Kyung’s point of view

I looked skeptically at Go Minam. What are they fussing about so early in the morning? Camping?

I looked at Mi Nyu; she was sitting next to Shinwoo. Had she agreed to this also?

"Is everyone going?" I asked trying to sound uninterested.

"Yes." Go Minam replied sternly

"Whatever. I don’t have anything else to do anyway."

Go Minam smiled. "Yes! We’re going camping!"

What’d I just agree to?