Chapter 3

Last Chance

Jeremy’s point of view

"Camping~Camping~CaMpInG!" its been so long since I’d last gone camping and this time Mi Nyu’s coming! This is gonna be so fun! We can go swimming together and on hikes and eat s’mores! I LOVE S’mores! "Camping~Camping~CaMpInG!"

"Stop your stupid singing!" Go Minam said as he stuffed the luggage into his red Corvette "make yourself useful and help us pack why don’t ya?!"

At that moment I spotted Mi Nyu dragging a suitcase that was obviously way too heavy for her, "Mi Nyu! Ill help you with that!"

She looked up at me "its fine I have it" I gave her my best pout face "Come ooon!" I said in my pout voice "I WANT to help"

Mi Nyu just looked at me not exactly knowing what to say back to that, I took the chance to swipe the suitcase from her.

Geez this is heavy! No wonder she was having trouble with it!

I put on a strong face as I lifted the suitcase with alot of effort, "See? I got it!" I said forcing my voice to be level. I put the suitcase back done and dragged it to Go Minam’s car.

"What?" I asked as I noticed the sly smile on Go Minam’s face. He took the suitcase from me and whispered "good job." And showed that damn cocky smile that the girls always squealed over, Then turned around and hefted the suitcase up.

Pfft! Trying to act all cool. That Go Minam, who does he think he’s impressing?

 

 

 

Tae-Kyung’s point of view

 

I was already sitting in Go Minam’s car waiting. What’s taking them so long? I rolled the window down as I looked back. Where’s Mi Nyu? Isn’t she getting in this car? Just then I saw Mi Nyu; she was watching Go Minam and Jeremy fuss over how the suitcases should be put in the trunk. Shinwoo came from behind and touched Mi Nyu on the shoulder lightly, what the heck? Don’t let him touch you stupid piggy-bunny! she looked back. Shinwoo said something, I couldn’t hear because they’re too far away, she smile. He smiled. They started to walk to his car together. WHAT THE HECK! Aren’t you taking this car?!

 

Just then Go Minam opened the car door and sat in the drivers seat and Jeremy got in the back. Go Minam started the car.

 

"Isn’t Mi Nyu coming with us?" I tried not to sound jealous

 

Go Minam raised his eyebrow and looked at me like he knew what I was thinking, "she is"

 

"Then why isn’t she here?" I tried to not loose my temper.

 

"Shinwoo asked her to take his car and she agreed" Go Minam answered casually, Shinwoo’s car started out of the driveway. Go Minam pushed a CD in and the music started blaring as he followed.

 

….

 

 

We’d made 2 pitstops already and Jeremy had fallen asleep hours ago.

 

How far away is this camping spot? We’ve been driving forever.

 

Go Minam turned the music off suddenly. I looked at him somewhat surprised by how serious he looked, has he been this serious the whole time? Why didn’t I notice earlier? I started the conversation.

 

"Why’d you turn the music off?"

 

"I’ve got something to say"

 

"Yeah, what?"

 

"You and my sister are dating right? So why doesn’t she seem happy around you?" he asked in his serious, protective brother voice.

 

I thought about pushing the question aside or throwing it back at him with a What’s it to you? But instead I answered honestly "I don’t know…"

 

He raised an eyebrow and glanced at me before turning his attention back to the road. "Do you think Shinwoo still likes her?"

 

I lost my composure for a second there "Wh-what?!"

 

He repeated the question.

 

I put my scowl back on "It doesn’t matter whether he likes her or not anyway." I replied coldly.

 

"Why’s that?" Go Minam questioned.

 

"Because she doesn’t like him like that" I answered coolly and confidently

 

"Are you sure?" my confidence shook

 

No.

 

I was starting to get annoyed "What are you getting at?!" I shot back at him loosing my temper.

 

I heard a sound from the back seat "Mm?" Jeremy blinked his eyes sleepily "what are you yelling about?"

 

Whatever. I’ve had enough of that conversation anyway. "Nothing." I replied angrily

 

"How long until were-" Jeremy was cut off by Go Minam’s phone ringing. Go Minam reached for the earpiece. When he placed it in he answered "hello? ---Ah yeah, we just passed it--okay---yeah we kinda lost you---what? Yeah okay I can find it easily--I understand I’ll tell them."

 

"Who was that?" Jeremy asked. Sometimes it amazes me how oblivious he can be.

 

"Shinwoo. He’s gonna stop at a store so that we can catch up to him, He’s got something he wanted to buy he said" We only fell behind because of all the pitstops we had to make for Jeremy…

 

My eyebrow raised ‘buy something?’

 

 

 

 

Shinwoo’s point of view

 

If felt so good to be around Mi Nyu. We exchanged casual talked the most of the way, and when we weren’t we were listening to some of the music that played on the radio. It seemed like she enjoyed classical the best so I kept it on that station.

 

I pulled into the parking lot of a double layered mall.

 

It was getting dark and Go Minam had fallen behind, from what I heard he was only 30 minutes away.

 

I parked the car close to the entrance. "Mi Nyu--" she was asleep.

 

I smiled as I gently brushed some of her hair away from her face "Mi Nyu." I said to her softly as I pushed on her shoulder gently.

 

"Mm?"

 

"We’re at a mall. We’re going to go in."

 

"Okay Shinwoo…" she rubbed her eyes and looked at me

 

I smiled. My heart skipped as she smiled back sleepily.

 

When I got out and opened the car door she was wide-awake.

 

 

"Ooh! It double layered," she said in awe as she walked through the mall entrance

 

I couldn’t help but smile as she walked by rows and rows of small stores looking through their window displays excitedly. She stopped at one in specific. "Blue Love" was the store name. She was staring at a necklace, a match set both silver chains with a simple silver heart, the only difference between the two was one had a red gem imbedded in the heart while the other had a blue gem.

 

"Do you like it?" I asked looking at the match set

 

She broke out of her trace "yes, it’s very pretty" she said thoughtfully.

 

A woman who worked there noticed us, with a smile she greeted us "may I help you?" she said noticing what we had been admiring "Ahh, yes it’s new. Just got shipped here this s’morning you two have great eyes. Even comes with a story." She said winking at Mi Nyu.

 

"What story?" I asked curiously

 

She turned her attention to me, her grin getting bigger by the second "I don’t quite ReMeMbEr~~" she sung the last part.

 

I met her smile with my own charismatic smile. "Please try, I would love to hear the story"

 

Her cheeks pinkened and she coughed awkwardly "Ahem, something about if you only buy one then your love will never be returned or something, anyways they’re meant to be in pairs"

 

"So does the happy couple want to buy it?" she asked while looking directly at Mi Nyu with a sly smile.

 

"O-oh us? We-we’re not a couple" Mi Nyu said awkwardly then looked down.

 

"Your not?" the woman looked surprised

 

I secretly felt happy that we were mistaken for a couple…if only us being taken as a couple wasn’t a ‘mistake’

 

The woman looked at me, sympathy in her eyes. She understood the position I was in.

 

"Well then, my apologies" she said turning back into the cheerful lady. "Miss can I speak to this man for a moment?"

 

Mi Nyu looked at me. I nodded to let her know it was alright. "Alright I’ll be at the smoothie shack we passed on our way here okay?"

 

"Okay, I wont be long" I assured her

 

The second Mi Nyu was out of hearing range the woman got to business. "She doesn’t know how you feel," she said with a sad look in her eyes.

 

"May I buy those necklaces?" I asked calmly

 

Her eyebrow raised "you think she likes you?" she asked bluntly

 

"No. But I know how I feel for her and that’s enough for now"

 

"You young people!" she said exasperatedly "you haven’t realized it yet?"

 

"Realized what?" I was confused

 

She slapped her forehead "goodness! She LIKES you! Maybe even LOOOVES!"

 

"What?" I asked in shock. My heart skipped a beat. That doesn’t make sense…she likes Tae-Kyung. "No. She has someone else" I told the lady, my own words disappointed me.

 

"Well maybe she hasn’t yet realized how she feels for you?" she offered "I'm sure that she likes you. I’ve just met you and I already know. All you have to do is try harder" I felt my confidence get stronger, maybe she’s right...

 

"Are you sure?" I tried to sound skeptical as I smiled on the inside.

 

"Listen here you. I used to read palms and I came across many people in love and never have I met a couple so intertwined by destiny as you two!" then she leaned in and motioned her hand for me to lean in also, I did so and she whispered "Your Soulmates…"

 

I felt a smile form, I tried to contain it but the word just repeated in my mind soulmates

 

She smiled at me.

 

"Do you want it wrapped or just in a box?" she asked me already knowing my thoughts

 

"A box will do"

 

She grabbed the necklaces and was about to put them both in separate boxes when I said, "I'll wear the blue one out" she simply smiled.

 

After I paid for them I stuffed the small box in my pant pocket and turned to walk out.

 

"Remember! All you have to do is try harder and be persistent!" she called after me as I opened the door.

 

I looked back at her "thank you" I smiled, "for everything"

 

Smiling as I walked out I felt more confident.

 

 

 

 

Mi Nyu’s point of view

 

I wonder what’s taking Shinwoo so long?

 

I had ordered 2 smoothies, a strawberry one for me and vanilla for Shinwoo. They had already arrived as I waited for Shinwoo.

 

Suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder. My heart race "Shinwoo?" I asked as I turned around to see Shinwoo, but it wasn’t him. I felt my heart sink. It was a guy I’d never met before, he smelled of cigarettes and was wearing all black, with a nose and ear piercing.

 

"Hello miss" he smiled showing yellow teeth, "is this ‘Shinwoh’ your boyfriend?" he asked

 

"N-no" I answered hesitantly.

 

"Great!" he gave a big grin, he actually would have a pleasant smile if it wasn't for his teath being yellow "me and my friends were planning on going to a party, wanna come along? A pretty lady like ya is sure ta know how ta have a good time!" he pointed over his shoulder to a group of young men, all of which were covered in piercings and wearing only black, they looked like thugs.

 

"Actually I'm waiting for someone," I said in a small voice. These people are scary…

 

"Aw come on lady! That’s what they ALL say! We're not as bad as we look!" he protested. Then smiled in a creepy way that made my stomach feel unsettled and then he leaned into my ear "come with us and we’ll make sure ya have a GOOD time"

 

Shinwoo! Help me! I screamed inside my mind as I closed my eyes tightly, petrified.

 

"May I help you?" a calm familiar voice asked. I opened my eyes and looked up at the familiar back that now stood between us.

 

 

 

 

Shinwoo’s point of view

 

As soon as I saw Mi Nyu I felt my heart race. Worry filled me.

 

I ran over to the smoothie shack just in time to see that GUY lean in and whisper something in her ear. I stepped between them the second I got there. "May I help you?" I asked coldly as I stood between Mi Nyu and the stranger.

 

He took a step back. "Are you ‘Shinwoh’?" he looked me over with a raised eyebrow.

 

"Yes." I replied calmly

 

"Ha. No wonder she wouldn’t give us the time of day when she’s got a pretty boy like you. Whatever. I know when I'm beat." He said with a scoff then turned around walking towards his friends.

 

As soon as they started walking away I turned to Mi Nyu "Are you okay?"

 

"Thank you Shinwoo" she must have been scared.

 

Usually I was able to have better control over myself. But just this once I let myself forget the pain I would feel later and instead focus on the now.

 

I wrapped my arms around Mi Nyu, gently holding her close to me in a embrace. Why can’t we stay like this forever?

 

"Sh-shinwoo!" she stammered nervously.

 

"What’s going on here?" I heard a cold familiar voice ask.

 

Tae-Kyung…

 

Tae-Kyung’s point of view

 

I was the first to arrive get out of the car, the first to enter the mall, the first to happen to walk by the smoothie shack, and the first and only one to see Shinwoo and Mi Nyu.

 

"What’s going on here?" I asked trying to contain the temper.

 

They separated the second they heard my voice. Mi Nyu looked at me directly, shocked at my sudden appearance. Shinwoo looked less surprised then Mi Nyu, he didn’t make any attempts to move away from her.

 

"Tae-Kyung" Mi Nyu said looking at me with the same shocked look on her face.

 

"She was scared so I was comforting her." Shinwoo said in his usual calm voice.

 

I opened my mouth to say something but was cut off by Jeremy "Mi Nyu! Go Minam’s picking on me!" he said as he jumped behind her in a defensive position. "I was NOT! Don’t believe his lies!" Go Minam said while pointing an accusing finger at Jeremy.

 

Mi Nyu looked at her twin brother, "What happened?"

 

"He hit me!" Jeremy accused still behind Mi Nyu. So childish…

 

"HE said I slept with a teddy bear! While in front of a girl I was trying to impress!"

 

"Key word: TRYING!" Jeremy shot back.

 

Mi Nyu looked back at Jeremy "Jeremy you shouldn’t have said that…" "but!—" Mi Nyu put on the mother face that she used when she was caring for the orphan children in Africa. "Jeremy" she said sternly "Apologize"

 

Jeremy was silenced. "Jeremy." She repeated.

 

"Okaay." Jeremy looked grudgingly at Go Minam "sorry."

 

Go Minam stuck his tongue out "Haha!" Mi Nyu turned her attention to Go Minam with the same look. "You too." She said sternly.

 

"What?! Why me? HE started it!" Go Minam said stubbornly.

 

"You shouldn’t have hit him. Now apologize" her voice was stern and motherly.

 

I have to admit I'm slightly shocked to see her like this…

 

Go Minam looked at Jeremy "sorry." He said quickly.

 

"Alright now that that’s settled are we ready to go?" Shinwoo smiled charismatically