Minor emergencies

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Noh Hyo-jung rapped softly on the doorframe.  "Doctor, you said you wanted to know when she came back."

Dr. Kim Doyeon didn't look up from the laceration she was suturing.  "She's back."

Hyo-jung took half a step in the exam room.  "Yes.  It's her shoulder this time.  She's in exam room B.  Dr. Choi ordered x-rays, and I told her you would want to take over this patient for reasons of continuity of care."

Doyeon finished suturing and looked up at Hyo-Jung.  "Oh, I bet she just loved that."  Dr. Choi Yoojung, the ER's chief resident, was a prickly as she was short, and wasn't going to like a nurse telling her what to do with the patient.

Hyo-jung shuddered.  "I wouldn't go to sleep in the residents' room anytime soon if I were you."

Doyeon laughed.  "I'll make it up to her - it'll be fine.  In the meantime, give Mr. Kim here a tetanus shot and standard laceration discharge orders and he's good to go."

As Hyo-jung took over Mr. Kim's care, Doyeon headed for exam room B, stopping only to pick up the patient's x-rays at the nursing station.  As she entered the exam room, she saw that the patient was already getting dressed and getting ready to go.

"Jung Hae-rim," Doyeon said, reading the name off the label in the corner of the x-ray.  "Trying to keep up your perfect record of leaving against medical advice every time you come to this ER?"

"Well," Hae-rim said, wincing as she tried to put her right arm in her sleeve, "I figured it's not broken or you would have been in to splint me already."

"As it turns out," Doyeon said, as she opened the storage cabinet to pull out a splinting kit, "your right arm is broken, we're just very busy today."  She gently guided Hae-rim back to the exam table and started examining her right arm.  She noticed a series of bruises compatible with someone grabbing her upper arm and pulling on it.  "This must have hurt a lot."

Hae-rim started to shrug, thought better of it, then said "I've had worse."

Doyeon let out a grim laugh.  "I know - I've seen your x-rays.  And yet you always leave without letting us help you.  Why is that?"

Hae-rim actually did shrug this time, then winced in pain.  "I always figure if it's something really serious, someone will call me once you see the x-rays.  I've got too many things going on to spend all night in the ER."

Doyeon started applying the brace to Haerim's left upper arm.  "Do you feel safe?" she asked.  "Are you afraid to go home?"

Hae-rim scoffed.  "No.  I'm not a battered woman, if that's what you're thinking.  I'm a taekwondo instructor, and sometimes sparring gets a little overly vigorous."

Doyeon finished applying the brace, then helped Hae-rim get her shirt back on.  "Seventeen ER presentations in the past year strikes me as a little bit beyibd 'overly vigorous.'  And besides, I don't see all the other taekwondo instructors coming in here every few weeks.  You take care of yourself.  Or if you won't, at least let me take care of you."

Hae-rim blushed as she nodded and said she would.  For a chance she actually stuck around for long enough to get her discharge orders, which a nurse delivered along with a prescription for some pain medicine that she had no intention of filling.  In her line of work, she couldn't afford anything that would mess with her thinking.  She left the ER as quickly as she could, driving to a tiny apartment in a nondescript officetel, instead of her more luxurious apartment over her gym, by a circuitous route with a couple of random turns and one doubling ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter