After the morning after

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoojung tried to figure out what she wanted to do.  She didn't normally wake up this early, but for some reason she was unable to sleep this morning.  She rolled over from one side of her futon to the other, finally recognizing that more sleep wasn't happening.  She got up, laced up her shoes, and went for a run.  The neighboorhood was in full swing - businesses opening, mothers taking babies out for a morning walk, businessmen on their way to work.  She loved the rhythm of the city and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.  As she passed the mechanic shop on the corner, she did a double-take - there was Dr. Lee walking out of the shop after dropping off a Mercedes that looked to be almost as old as Yoojung.

"Dr. Lee- I mean, Ji-eun!  Hi!"  She slowed to a walk as she came up alongside the other woman.

"Yoojung!  What are you doing out this early?  You were on shift until late last night."  Ji-eun looked concerned.

Yoojung shrugged.  "I just couldn't sleep anymore, so I decided to go out for a run.  What about you?  Car trouble?"

Ji-eun nodded.  "That car is almost more trouble than it's worth, but I can't imagine life without it.  It breaks down so often that I'm on a first name with my mechanic."  She laughed at the ridiculous state of her car.

"Why keep it if it's that much trouble?" Yoojung asked.

Ji-eun looked around, as if measuring how much to say.  Finally, she said "I grew up poor - we could never afford a car.  But I promised myself that when I became a doctor, I'd have a car.  And I kept that promise to myself, even if between student loans and the high cost of living in Seoul, Heinz is the best car I can afford."

Yoojung laughed.  "You named your car Heinz?"

"Of course!  He's a German car, so he's got to have a German name!" Ji-eun joined in Yoojung's laughter.

As they crossed the next street, the sun was blocked out by the bulk of the hospital.  Sighing, Ji-eun said "And now I've got to let you get back to your run - I've got a meeting with my boss this morning.  I'll see you before shift change, though - come by my office."

After assuring Ji-eun that she would, Yoojung waved good-bye and resumed her run. 

 

 

Suyeon sat in a chair in the back of the kitchen watching Seo-Jeong make puff pastry.  Fold the dough, roll it out, fold the dough, roll it out, refrigerate, repeat.  Seo-jeong actually had several batches of puff pastry going at once so that she always had one batch that was ready to be worked on while the other batches were in the refrigerator cooling.  From time to time the bell would ring announcing a customer had entered the shop and Seo-jeong would have to pop out to the front to man the counter.  Suyeon had offered to man the counter, but Seo-jeong had firmly nixed the idea.

"When Yoojung said 'No work for a week,' she didn't mean no work for a week except for bakery work.  I don't want to think about how Jooyung would react if she popped in for some pastry and saw you hard at work."  Seo-jeong had finally finished the sixth fold on the final batch of puff pastry, so she came to sit by Suyeon while the oven heated up.  Normally she started the oven as soon as she came in and it was already ready to go by this time, but on puff pastry days she needed the kitchen to be cooler so the butter didn't melt.

"I know," Suyeon said, "it's just hard not to do anything.  I'm not allowed to work.  I'm not allowed to read.  I'm not even allowed to watch TV!  I'll die of boredom long before the head injury has time to do me any harm."

Seo-jeong nodded - she could only imagine how much this enforced brain rest must be bothering Suyeon.  "How did the partners take it when you told them you needed the week off?"

Suyeon shrugged.  "What could they do?  I'm under doctor's orders.  But I know they're not happy about it - Nayeon's voice made that clear, even though she was trying to hide it - and I know the other juniors are going to be pissed off about it, because all my work's going to pile over onto them.  I'll have to volunteer anytime anyone wants time off for the next year if I'm going to rebuild all the goodwill I'm burning through this week.

Seo-jeong hoped that maybe with a sudden change of topic she could change Suyeon's mood. "So how are things with Hae-rim?  You two talked for like an hour and a half after breakfast this morning.  How are things looking there?"

The look of exasperation on Suyeon's face only intensified.  "I wish I could tell you.  Apparently last night while I was out of my skull I told her everything of how I felt about her, and all my past relationship troubles, and so now it's just. . . how do you have a conversation when the other person already has all your information.  You're at a hopeless disadvantage!"

The alarm on the oven dinged.  Seo-jeong kept talking while she got up to start making croissants.  "Or maybe you could try not looking at it as a competition, for once in your life.  Take it as a blessing - all the things that are hard to say, you've already said."

"Well, yeah, that part's good, I guess," Suyeon grumbled.  "But it's not a two-way street - she's got so many secrets, so many things she hasn't told me or isn't ready to tell me yet or can't tell me o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter