Uncertainties

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyeon looked down at her phone. Ten o'clock. Was it too early? Was it too late? Well, it would have to do - if she called any later, they wouldn't be able to make the bus. The phone rang only rang once before Yuna picked up.

"Do you have plans for today?" Doyeon asked.

Doyeon could picture Yuna shrugging as she answered "Well, I just washed my hair, and I was planning on doing some laundry, but I can do that tomorrow if you want to get together."

"Well," Doyeon said, "since Yoojung showed up last night and interrupted us, I thought maybe today we could go someplace where no one from the hospital would see us?"

"Ooh!  Sounds mysterious!  What should I wear?" Doyeon could tell that Yuna was just dying to ask where they were going, but didn't want to spoil the surprise.

"Dress casual, and wear comfortable shoes - we're going to be doing some walking.  Meet me at Myeongdong Station, exit 2, at 11:15."

"Okay, see you there!"

After hanging up, Doyeon walked to her closet to decide what to wear. Keeping in mind what she'd advised Yuna as far as clothes, she settled on a light-green shirtdress and a pair of white sneakers. After trying a number of different possibilities, she decided to wear her hair down. She put on some sunscreen and looked at her phone - she had just enough time to get to Myeongdong, buy the tickets, and meet Yuna.

As it turned out, Doyeon was cutting it a little bit closer than she thought - she made it to Myeongdong, bought the tickets, and walked up to exit 2 to see Yuna  already there, looking around for her. She waved, and used the time it took Yuna to walk over to check her out. She had her blonde hair up in a high ponytail was wearing overall shorts with a white T-shirt, a pair of pink sunglasses, and the same white sneakers as Doyeon.

"You look so cute!" Doyeon exclaimed.

Yuna blushed.  "Awww, thank you!  You too." After looking around the station, she looked conspiratorially at Doyeon and asked "So, where are we going?"

Doyeon pointed to the bus stop next to the station. "In about five minutes, a bus is going to pull up there. We'll get on board, and in just a few hours we'll be at the Pohang International Fireworks Festival! We'll roam around the festival, shopping, playing games, and eating delicious snack foods until sunset, when the big fireworks show starts. Then we'll take the bus back, arriving at Myeongdong at 3:30 in the morning, at which point we can take a cab to your place or mine, whichever we prefer, while everyone else is asleep."  

"Wow!" Yuna exclaimed.  "If I didn't know it was impossible, I'd swear you spent weeks planning this."

"Hours, actually," Doyeon said. "I woke up at 6:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep."

"Awww, that's so sweet!" Yuna gushed. "I owe you a kiss once we're on the bus."

"Only one kiss?" Doyeon pouted.

"No, you silly girl," Yuna teased, "you get all the kisses!"

Even if Doyeon didn't get all the kisses, she certainly got enough that she was enjoying the bus ride enough to be sorry when it ended. The festival was everything they hoped for as well - lots of food, lots of games, lots of quiet corners for stolen kisses. They played a ring toss game and Doyeon won Yuna a giant stuffed bear, which she promptly named Dr. Kim and kept up a running monologue to it about what a great day she was having. Doyeon found that even though she couldn't remember how she and Yuna had gotten together, she was really glad that they had - Yuna had completely captured her heart.

When sunset was near, they bought a cup of sauteed dried shrimp to share and laid out on a chaise longue on the beach. The fireworks were amazing, easily putting to shame any fireworks display Doyeon had ever seen before. Fireworks of every concievable size, shape, and color kept the sky illuminated for over an hour. In the silence after the last explosion, Doyeon leaned over to Yuna, kissed her, and said "I love you."

Yuna's eyes grew huge and she was uncharacteristically silent. After several of the longest seconds Doyeon had ever experienced, she asked "Is it okay if I'm not ready to say that just yet?"

Doyeon reassured her that of course it was okay.  They ended up getting into a serious conversation that lasted half the bus ride home. It turned out that Yuna had just recently gotten out of a relationship with a woman who said she loved her, but at the same time was always telling her she was too immature and too loud and too daring and just "too. . . me" as Yuna finally summed it up.  She said that honestly she had thought she and Doyeon would be just a one night thing. "Well, a one night and the day after thing," she amended. She was surprised that Doyeon was still interested in her and felt like the whole thing was just too good to be true. Doyeon gave her a reassuring hug and said that of course she was still interested, that Yuna was wonderful.

"You say that now," Yuna said, "but I'm afraid of what will happen when you know me better."

"We'll cross that bridge if we come to it," Doyeon said. "For now I'm enjoying being with you, and I hope you're enjoying being with me, even if we never do have as much time together and we'd like because of the stupid hospital dating policy."

Yuna snuggled up against Doyeon, then draped her bear, Dr. Kim, across them both. "I like hearing you say that," she said. "After I broke up with Mina, I was afraid I've never find anyone, and then I met you, and since then it's been just a whirlwind. I'm loving it, but it's a lot to take in, you know?"

Doyeon was in the process of reassuring Yuna that indeed she did know when she heard a quiet snore. She looked down and saw that Yuna had fallen asleep. She put her arm around her and held her close, enjoying the rest of the ride in silence.

 

 

Suyeon showed up to Harvey's at 10 a.m., her usual time. She was shown to her usual table in the back corner of the restaurant. But she stopped the waiter from bringing her her usual brunch of omurice and an English muffin, plus a soju sunrise to drink. "Just the drink for now," she said. "I'm expecting someone."

So Suyeon sat in the back corner of the restaurant, watching people and sipping her drink until suddenly a shadow fell across the table.

"Is this seat taken?"

Suyeon looked up and smiled. "It is now. Have a seat!"

Hae-rim sat down across from Suyeon. "I was so glad you called me yesterday morning," she said.

Suyeon smiled at Hae-rim but inside she was squirming a little. The reason she had called Hae-rim yesterday morning was because she knew Soo-kyung was going to be calling that afternoon. By making the date with Hae-rim, she was able to avoid brunch with Soo-kyung. It meant she'd had to agree to lunch with Soo-kyung on Monday, but if that was the price she had to pay to get the brunch she wanted, she'd gladly pay it. It wasn't that spending

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter