The worst day

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as So-eun had told Soo-kyung what had happened to Seo-Jeong, Soo-kyung got on the phone and called Suyeon. After a few minutes of calming Suyeon down, Soo-kyung said "Okay, well, when lunchtime rolls around, give me a call and I'll send lunch over for you." When she hung up the phone, Soo-kyung looked at So-eun. "She's going to forget to call," she said, "so at lunchtime I want you to prepare a lunch for them and deliver it."

So-Eun said she would, then scrubbed her hands and started getting her station ready for the day's cooking. "What should I send them?" she asked Soo-kyung. 

"An order to kimchi sujebi for Suyeon, plus two orders of each of today's special for Haerim and whoever else is with them."

"You got it, chef," So-eun said as she put on her hat and started chopping some herbs. After a few minutes, she noticed that Soo-kyung hadn't moved from the spot where she had been standing when she heard about Seo-jeong's kidnapping. "Are you okay, chef?" So-eun called out.

Soo-kyung looked at her. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just a worried about Seo-jeong."

So-eun nodded. "You look really worried. How about I run the lunch service and you can go to your office and lie down?"

Soo-kyung shook her head. "I need the work to keep me from worrying. It gives me something else to think about."

"Well, if you change your mind. . ." So-eun said.

"You'll be the first to know," Soo-kyung responded.

Fortunately, despite So-eun being a little late and Soo-kyung being a little distracted, they managed to get the kitchen set up and ready for the lunch service just as the first orders started coming in. The initial rush of customers after the Mr. Foodie review had dropped off, but there were still enough orders to keep them busy from the start to the end of lunch service, without a break. Once the last lunch dish had gone out, So-eun looked at Soo-kyung. "Okay," she said, "you made it through lunch. Now how about I supervise the cleanup and changeover, and you go to your office and call Suyeon, see if there's been any news."

Soo-kyung wiped the sweat from her face with a kitchen towel, then tossed it in the hamper. "Sounds good," she said. "I'll let you know if there's anything new." Soo-kyung felt bad letting So-eun take this responsibility from her when they were both worried about Seo-jeong, but at the same time, she was grateful that she had an assistant who could take over things in situations like this. She'd known Seo-jeong since college and was closer to her than she was to most of her own family. She didn't know what she'd do if something happened to Seo-jeong.

 

 

About two hours into their shift, Yoojung and Hyo-jung finally had a moment of calm between patients. 

"You know," Hyo-jung said as she returned to Central Station with cups of coffee from the Starbucks in the hospital lobby, "some of the junior nurses are still terrified of you."

Yoojung looked shocked. "Of me? Really?" She took the cup of coffee that Hyo-jung was holding out to her, took a sip, and sighed contentedly. "Even after we all went out drinking?"

Hyo-jung nodded. "Even after that. Case in point: Shin Yuna is having a get together at her place tomorrow for people watch the Fashion Week coverage, make snarky comments, and drink soju. She wanted to ask you, but she was afraid you'd think she was forgetting her place. She looked so relieved when I offerd to ask her for you!"

"It sounds like I have to go," Yoojung said, "so I can be a friendly and non-threatening as possible."

"That would be good," Hyo-jung agreed.

"Who all is going to be there?" Yoojung asked.

"So far it's just her, me, and Doyeon," Hyo-jung said. "Either she picked the wrong night, or waited too late, or something, because all the other nurses said they had plans."

Yoojung looked thoughtful. "All the other nurses? You think maybe they don't like her for some reason?"

Hyo-jung shook her head. "I don't think so. At any rate,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter