Ice cream, petit-fours, and soju

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ji Suyeon!"

. . .

"Ji Suyeon!"

Suyeon rolled her head to the side.  Why was Yoojung calling her name?  Didn't she know she was trying to sleep?  Wait, no, that wasn't right.  She wasn't supposed to be sleeping, was she?  And why was Yoojung at her house?  And what was that bright light?

She opened her eyes a little bit.  She was staring at an unfamiliar ceiling.  Where was she?

"Ji Suyeon!  Do you know where you are?"

Wasn't she just wondering that?  "I dunno."

"Do you know the date?"

"It's June 11.  Right?"  She knew that one at least.  Why was Yoojung asking her all these questions?

"Do you know what year it is?"

She knew this one.  "It's 2025."  Seo-jeong had turned 25 earlier this year.

"Do you know your name?"

She smiled.  "It's Ji Suyeon.  You were just shouting it at me, Yoojung.  Now it's my turn:  Where are I?"

Yoojung shone a flashlight into one of Suyeon's eyes, then the other.  "You answer one more question for me, then I'll tell you that.  What's the last thing you remember?"

Suyeon closed her eyes and thought.  "I was at the dojo.  Jung Hae-rim's dojo.  We were doing the self-defense class.  And I. . . I knocked myself out?"  She opened her eyes, reached over and grabbed Yoojung's arm.  "I knocked myself out?  Yoojung!"  She began talking faster, her voice more frenzied.  "Tell me I didn't manage to knock myself out in a self-defense class!  I was wearing a new outfit because Seo-jeong insisted, because she thought the Hae-rim liked me, like this class was going to be a first date or something.  And I told her she was wrong - even though I hoped she was right - and I went to the class.  And I remember now - I ran into a pole!  Yoojung!  What do I do now?  What do I say to Hae-rim next time I see her?  Should I even see her again, or should I stay away and hope she forgets about me?  What do I do?"

Yoojung smiled down at Suyeon.  "Ordinarily I would have said to tell her what you just told me, but you sort of already did - she's standing on the other side of your bed, hasn't left your side since you came in here."

Suyeon squeezed her eyes shut.  She turned her head toward Hae-rim and peeked up at her tentatively with one eye.  "Hi?"  She opened the other eye.

Hae-rim smiled down at her.  "Hi there!  You had me really worried!  I'm so glad you're awake and seem to be okay!  I had intended for the class to be like a first date - I was planning to ask you out for drinks afterward, only now Dr. Choi says you can't drink until you've been checked out by your regular physician.  But she did give me the all-clear to take you out for ice cream on my way to take you home, if you feel up to it."

"But-" Yoojung cut in "-you're not leaving for at least 2 hours.  I want to get a CT of your head to look for any injuries, and I want to observe you for at least 2 hours."

"Two hours?"  Suyeon sulked as Yoojung nodded at her.  Then she turned to Hae-rim.  "You don't have to wait here for two hours.  I can take a cab home."

Hae-rim brushed a stray strand of hair out of Suyeon's face.  "But I want to, if you'll let me.  Besides, a cab driver probably won't stop to get you ice cream.  And even if they do, they won't have talked to your doctor and learned that your favorite flavor of ice cream is green tea."

Suyeon sniffled and brushed aside a tear that rolled out of her eye.  "That's so sweet!  I-" abruptly she turned toward Yoojung.  "Yoojung!  I'm not in one of those horrid backless gowns, am I?"

Yoojung put a hand on Suyeon's shoulder and spoke slowly and smoothly in an attempt to calm her down.  "No, you're still in your clothes.  And what a cute outfit - it's so nice to see you in something that isn't black or white!  But you need to stay calm - if you get upset it'll trigger the monitors and then I'll have to admit you for more tests."

Suyeon leaned back into her pillow, looking up at Yoojung and Hae-rim.  "I would introduce you, but apparently you've already met, which is kind of weird."  She turned to Hae-rim.  "I'd love it if you wanted to stay and keep me company, and I'm so glad that Seo-jeong was right about you wanting to date me and - Dammit, Yoojung!  The part of my brain that keeps me from saying every damn thing I think is apparently broken!"

Yoojung laughed.  "I don't think you ever had that part of the brain.  But anyway, now that you're awake, I'll go tell the nurse to order your scan and I'll call Doyeon to let her know you're awake.  She'll probably want to pop in to check on you herself."

Suyeon nodded, then turned to Hae-rim.  "So at least I'll get to introduce you to one of my friends.  Or do you already know Doyeon too?"

Hae-rim smiled.  "If you're talking about D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter