Beginnings and more beginnings

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The lunch rush was over, and they had time for a short break before they had to start resetting the kitchen for dinner.  So-kyung and So-eun were leaning against the expediter's station, drinking bottles of water, when Soo-kyung said "So. . . . how much longer are you going to be working for me?"

So-eun almost choked on the water she was drinking.  "What do you mean?" she asked.

Soo-kyung smiled at her.  "Before you ask, no one told me.  I just know the signs:  Young sous chef, bent on learning everything she can, she's going to want to open her own restaurant as soon as she can.  So she'll have been saving every penny she can, revising her business plan every time she learns something new, and her restaurant's opening day is emblazoned on the front of her brain with letters of fire."

So-eun laughed.  "You make it sound so dramatic."

"Well, that's what it felt like to me when I was going through it," Sookyun said with a shrug.  "So when's your opening day?"

So-eun took a swig of her water, stared at the wall in front of her for a second, and said "October 9."

Soo-kyung stopped, her bottle of water halfway to .  "That's faster than I was expected.  Based on what I pay and what it costs to open a restaurant, I figured I'd have you for another year, at least.  You must be doing some serious hustling!"

So-eun blushed.  "I'm working as a cater waiter on my nights off."

"That would do it," Soo-kyung said, nodding appreciatively.  She looked So-eun up and down.  "I bet you're cute in a tuxedo shirt and that little apron."

So-eun blushed even harder.  "I feel more comfortable in my chef's whites," she said.

Soo-kyung stared at the floor, apparently lost in thought.  After a while, she nodded decisively and looked over at So-eun to ask "How would you like to open your own place earlier than October 9?"

So-eun's eyes got wide.  "What do you mean?" she asked.

Soo-kyung looked into So-eun's for a long moment, as if trying to read her soul.  "I won't promise anything now, but if our day cooking from your menu on Monday goes well, and if I like the looks of your business plan when you bring it in on Tuesday, I think I'd be interested in investing in your restaurant."

So-eun's face lit up and she swept Soo-kyung up in a hug, lifting her off her feel, all standards of kitchen etiquette forgotten.  "Oh, that would be wonderful!  The best I had dared dream of was that you wouldn't be too mad at me when I left!"

Soo-kyung managed to climb down from So-eun's hug.  "I didn't promise anything yet.  I said 'if'.  But if everything looks as good as I expect it's going to, not only would I be interested in investing, I know a couple of other people who might also be interested, depending on how much control you're will to sell."

So-eun's face grew serious for a second.  "I'd never really thought about taking on investors for my first restaurant.  I'm not really sure how to do it.  If you don't mind me asking, how much control do you have of Chez Lua?"

"Sixty percent," Soo-kyun said decisively.  "The chef I worked for before starting my own place owns the other 40%."

"So I should probably try to hang on to at least 60% of my place," So-eun said thoughtful.  Then her face shifted, as another idea occurred to her.  "Have I heard of this chef who owns the other 40% of Chez Lua?"

"I should hope so," Soo-kyung said with a laugh.  "It's Park Jin Woo."

So-eun's eyes widened.  "You used to work for Chef JinJin?"

Soo-kyung nodded.  "I wanted to work for the best I could, and one of my professors was able to get him to take a look at me."

"Wow!" So-eun was clearly impressed by this.  "So you're like one generation removed from kitchen royalty!"

Soo-kyung laughed, "Yeah, but you know it doesn't work like that.  In this industry, you're only as good as the last dish that came out of your kitchen.  Speaking of which -" she glanced up at the clock - "you'd better get the brigade to work prepping for dinner."

"Yes, chef!" So-eun said with a smile.

 

 

Hae-rim waited on the sidewalk while the delivery driver got off his scooter and carried the bag of food into the bakery, then she followed him in.  Inside the bakery, Seo-jeong was in the middle of saying "We didn't order any food" when Hae-rim said "I did.  I figured you ladies would be hungry."  She gave the driver a tip and he hurried on his way.

Suyeon toddled out from the back of the bakery, rubbing her eyes.  "Did I hear someone say food?"

Hae-rim stepped forward and gave Suyeon a hug.  "You did.  How are you feeling today?"

Suyeon returned the hug before turning to helping Seo-jeong unpack the food.  "Bored and tired.  I can't do anything, so I just sit there, and just sitting there is so boring that I end up falling asleep."

Hae-rim smiled.  "Well then, I'll have to try to be interesting enough to keep you awake!"  Turning to Seo-Jeong, she added "After you eat, if there's anywhere you need to go I can get Suyeon home and stay with her until you get back."

Seo-jeong nodded.  "There are a few things I need to pick up at the store.  Thank you."

Suyeon looked up from the package she was opening.  "I am capable of taking care of myself!"

Hae-rim put her arm around Suyeon.  "Of course you are," she said, "I'm just doing what the doctor said because it gives me an excuse to spend a lot of time with you."  She winked at Seo-jeong, who had to stifle a giggle.

Once ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter