Late nights and early mornings

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seo-Jeong paused at the doorway to Suyeon's bedroom.  "I'm going to bed.  Do you need anything?"

Suyeon looked up from sketchbook Seo-jeong had brought her.  "No.  I'll probably be going to sleep soon."  She paused for a second.  "Thanks for the sketchbook - it's certainly much better than staring at the walls."

"OK.  Well, I'll see you in the morning."  Seo-jeong started toward her bedroom.  Before she could take a step, Suyeon interrupted her.

"Wait. . . Seo-jong, can we talk for a second?"

Seo-jeong came back in and sat down on the edge of Suyeon's bed.  "I think I can guess what this is about."

Suyeon nodded.  "I know you're worried about me, but I think if you got to know her, you'd like Hae-rim."

Seo-jeong leaned forward.  "Suyeon, she as much as admitted to being a criminal tonight.  How much more do I need to know?"

Suyeon shook her head.  "It's not like that.  She's made some mistake, but who hasn't?"

"Who hasn't?" Seo-jeong was incredulous. "This, coming from the woman who fought a parking ticket because she felt it had been issued in error."

Suyeon sat up straight.  "But it had been issued in error!  There weren't any no parking signs on that block, and my video showed the judge that if you came from the direction I did, you wouldn't see any of the signs on the previous block."

"That's not the point," Seo-jeong said.  "My point is, we know hardly anything about this woman, and part of what we know is bad!"

"But, she's kind," Suyeon protested.  "You should see how she treats me when you're not around."

Seo-jeong sat quietly for a second.  "I'm just worried about you, Suyeon.  You have a tendency to trust where you shouldn't and I just don't want to see you get hurt again."  Seo-jeong stood up and shrugged.  "You're a grown woman, do what you want.  Just try to stay out of trouble, okay?"

Suyeon nodded.  "I'm being careful this time.  Oh and Seo-jeong?. . . Thanks for worrying about me."

Seo-jeong nodded, then headed down the hall to her bedroom.  Kicking the dirty clothes aside, she flopped down on the bed, just in time to hear her phone chirp.  Pulling it out of her pocket, she saw it was a text from Soo-kyung:  "Hey!  Do you have a minute?  I want to ask you a question!"

She looked at the clock - dinner service must have just ended.  For Soo-kyung's messed up schedule, it was mid-afternoon.  She quickly typed "As long as it's a quick question - I have to be at the bakery early tomorrow if you're going to have matcha profiteroles to serve."

Soo-kyung sent back a smily face and a note that said "I can't talk long anyway - I have to be at fish market early tomorrow to get the best mussels."

"So what's the question?" Seo-jeong stared impatiently at the clock.  This conversation would be so much faster if Soo-kyung would just call her.  There must be some reason she was keeping it in text.

"OK. Here's the question. . . " showed up on her screen.  Seo-jeong groaned.  In the time it had taken Soo-kyung to type that intro, she could have just typed the question.  She waited.

Her phone chirped again.  "Is Suyeon dating anybody right now?"

Seo-jeong shook her head.  Soo-kyung had had a crush on Suyeon for how many years, and after all that time this was when she decided to try to do something about it?  She rubbed her forehead, trying to figure out what she wanted to say.  Finally it hit her - no one could be mad at her if she just told the truth.  The truth from her point of view, at any rate.  Typing carefully, she sent "She's met someone and they've had a couple of dates but I don't know how serious it is."

Soo-kyung sent a frowny face, followed by "So I shouldn't ask her out?"

Seo-jeong rolled her eyes.  "Don't reject yourself. Make her reject you."

"You think so?"

Seo-jeong's fingers practically flew over the keyboard.  "The worst that can happen is she'll say no, and even then, you're no worse off than you are now."

By the end of the conversation, she had Soo-kyung motivated to ask Suyeon out.  

Soo-kyung ended the conversation with one final note.  "Thanks for everything! And be sure to come to Chez Lua on Monday - we'll be cooking So-eun's menu!"

Seo-jeong responded with a smiley face and a thumbs up, then put her phone down on the bedside table.  She wondered how Soo-kyung would react when she found out So-eun was leaving to start a place of her own.  She thought back to the time she'd spent hanging out with So-eun after the Mayor's Gala aand couldn't help wondering if So-eun was seeing anyone.  "Nope," she told herself.  "Doesn't matter if she is - with a new restaurant to start, she'll be too busy to ask you out, even if she is interested."  After a string of disastrous dates, Seo-jeong was determined that her next date would be with someone who asked her out, because apparently she was terrible at picking people.  Squeezing her eyes tightly shut, she rolled over and tried to get to sleep.

 

 

 

Late night was turning into early morning.  The sun would be up soon, but still there were some ER doctors and nurses at Scrub Inn.  Karaoke had begun, but was winding down.  After Yoojung and Hyoj-ung had done a rousing rendition of Blackpink's "Kill This Love," Doyeon and Yuna had followed up by belting out Everglow's "Adios."  After that, everyone felt that singing was over, that there was no way to top those two songs back to back.  They all gathered around the table and started telling stories of exes from Hell.  Yoojung caught Doyeon's eye and they made a wordless pact to not tell stories about their time spent together, not even if they told the stories without naming names.  After a while, Shin Ryujin, one of the nurses, said "What about you, Dr. Choi?  Got any horror stories to tell us?"

Yoojung shook her head.  "For one thing, it's Yoojung - f or tonight we're all talking to each other informally.  But seriously, I don't have any good stories.  When I was in college I was so determined to get into med school, then once I got into med school I was determined to be valedictorian of my med school class, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter