The day before the big night

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the time Suyeon was 10 minutes into giving her information, Kim Hyung-soo, Hae-rim's boss, had opened his briefcase, taken out a computer and 3 cell phones, and started planning that night's operations, which would pretty much gut the local organized crime organizations. Suyeon didn't know how he could manage listening to her, talking on one phone, texting on the other two, and typing on the computer all at once, but somehow he did. "Okay," he said, when everything was done, "you'll get to see all about it on the ten o'clock news tonight." He looked at Hae-rim, who was standing by Suyeon and holding her hand, and smiled. "Hae-rim, I'm guessing you won't find it a hardship to stay with Miss Ji until this is all over?"

"Your command is my wish," said Hae-rim with a laugh.

Hyung-soo bowed to Seo-jeon and Suyeon. "Nice to meet you ladies. Take care." Turning to Hae-rim, he asked. "Have you given any thought to your golden ticket?"

Hae-rim noddled. "I want to teach unarmed combat at the academy."

Hyung-soo looked stunned. Then his eyes landed on Hae-rim's hand, still wrapped around Suyeon's, and he understood. He somehow made a face that was both a scowl and a smile simultaneously. "Okay then. You get the rest of the week off, and by next Monday I should have everything arranged with the academy." Turning to Suyeon he said, "You just cost me my best detective. If you don't keep her happy, then you'd better not so much as jaywalk." He smiled to let her know that he was joking. Well, 90% joking. Turning back to Hae-rim, he said "I know no one stays undercover forever, but I'm still going to miss you."

"You could always come back to the academy for a refresher course in unarmed combat," she responded with a smile.

Hyung-soo shook his head. "No way. That's one of the perks of being a senior detective - I don't have to get beaten up like that on a yearly basis. Anyway, it doesn't look likely right now -" his eyes flicked over to Suyeon - "but if you ever decide to go back into investigations, you'll always have a spot on my team."

Hae-rim was struggling not to start crying. Rapidly blinking away tears, she said "Thank you, sir. That means a lot."

Hyung-soo nodded to her again, then turned and left. Seo-jeong followed him so that she could lock the door behind him and turn the sign to closed. When she came back in, so tossed the dough she had been working on into a bowl and stuck it in the refrigerator. "Bakery's closed for the day," she said, untying her apron and tossing it in the hamper. Crossing to stand in front of Hae-rim, she bowed slightly and said "I'm sorry to have been suspicious of you."

Hae-rim shook her head. "No, you were right to trust your gut. Something wasn't right and you could tell. I'm glad Suyeon has friends like you to look out for her. I know we got off on the wrong foot, but I hope that you and I can be friends as well."

Seo-jeong looked at her, squinted slightly, then smiled. "I think I'd like that too."

"So what do we do now?" Suyeon asked. "I can't imagine going home after all that's just happened, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be safe to be out and about today."

Hae-rim smiled. "There's a bar and grill about 2 blocks from here that a lot of the local cops frequent. I can't imagine anywhere safer than that."

"Ummm... I can't drink, remember?" Suyeon pointed to her head.

"They also make great coffee," Hae-rim said, "and while the pastries aren't as good as Seo-jeong's, they're at least adequate."

Seo-jeong snorted. "We'll see about that," she said with a laugh. "Anyway, it seems like that would be a good place to watch the news about your big bust."

 

 

Dr. Lee Ji Eun put up her umbrella and rushed to Young-jun's garage to pick up her car. She dashed in the door, followed closely by Alex, the bike messenger from her last visit. As Young-jun was handling the paperwork for Ji Eun's repairs, he looked over at Alex. "Your bike break down again?" he asked.

Alex shook his head. "Nah. I just needed a place to get out of the rain so I could eat my lunch." He reached into his backpack and pulled out a bento.

Young-jun shook his head. "Our deal was you could use my tools and a little bit of garage space. I never said nothing about turning my waiting room into a restaurant."

"That's really a shame, because I picked up an extra one for you," Alex sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter