Out to dinner

Girls In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Suyeon, certified public accountant, struggled to juggle her purse, her briefcase, and the bag of ledgers she had brought home from the office as she tried to find her apartment keys in her purse.  Miraculously, she managed to pull out the keys and unlock the door without dropping anything.  As she let herself into the apartment, she heard her roommate, Lee Seo-jeong, puttering around in the kitchen.  "I'm home," she called out, as she took off her shoes and dropped all the things she was carrying in the chair by the door.

"Good," Seo-jeong called back.  "You're just in time to taste my newest creation."

Suyeon looked at the clock.  "What'd you do, take the bus home from the bakery and then start baking as soon as you get here?"

"Something like that," Seo-jeong called out as she came out of the kitchen.  "I had an idea on that way home and I wanted to test it out right away."

Seo-jeong brought a tray of pastries into the living room.  She was wearing her favorite blue plaid apron and had a smudge of flour on one cheek.

"Um, I hate to tell you this, but creampuffs have already been invented," Suyeon said.  She and Seo-jeong had been friends since before college, so they could tease with each other in ways that no one else was allowed to.

"Ha, ha," Seo-jeong said as she put the tray down on the coffee table.  "The profiteroles weren't my invention - the matcha pastry cream inside them was."  She stood up, holding a profiterole in each hand, then reached out and stuffed one into Suyeon's mouth.

Suyeon's eyes went wide, first with inability to breathe, then with near-ic pleasure at the deliciousness of Seo-jeong's latest creation.  There was a reason that Seo-jeong's bakery had been voted the city's best for three years in a row - Seo-jeong had a gift for baking that no one else could match.  She was able to come up with delicious confections that no one had ever thought before, and even when she struck with the classics, her versions put all others to shame.

Suyeon closed her eyes and her lips as she finished eating the pastry.  "Please tell me those are going on the menu!"

Seo-jeong laughed.  "Probably on Thursday.  I want to bake a couple more test batches and make sure I've got the recipe just so."  She looked over at the bag of ledgers that was threatening to spill off the chair and onto the floor.  "Have they got you bringing work home again?"

Suyeon nodded.  "One of our biggest customers is being audited next week, so it's all hands on deck to make sure everything's ready.  I've even seen some of the senior partners auditing books themselves!"

Seo-jeong opened her eyes wide.  "You've seen the senior partners?" she asked in mock-astonishment.  "I thought they were mythical, like Bigfoot or the Boogie Man!"

Suyeon laughed.  "Oh no, they're far too real," Suyeon said, "And they'll be going over my work with a fine-toothed comb, so as soon as I fix myself some ramen, I've got to buckle down."

Shaking her head, Seo-jeong grabbed Suyeon's arm.  Putting on her most serious facial expressionk, she said "I can't let you do that.  The kitchen is in no state to be seen right now."

"But-" Suyeon began.

"Tell you what. Let's go to Chez Lua for dinner - my treat, to celebrate the birth of matcha prifiteroles."  Seeing Suyeon about to protest, Seo-Jong pressed on before giving her a chance.  "Trust me, it'll be quicker than waiting for me to clean the kitchen, and you'll be able to think better after something better for dinner than ramen."

Suyeon rolled her eyes.  "Fine," she said. "How soon will you be ready to go?"

Seo-jeong took off her apron and hung it on a hook in the kitchen doorway.  "Is that quick enough for you?"

Suyeon laughed.  "Let's go."

 

 

 

Kim Soo-Kyung looked around her kitchen.  Everyone - from the sous c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter