CHAPTER 7

10 일만 내놔 : Give me 10 days

[Chaeyoung's POV]

 

Chaeyoung Pabo yah. I shook my head as I carefully stepped down of the bus. I knew the moment the words came out of my mouth that I shouldn't have said it. Aish. Jinjja.

I turned and helped Mina step down of the bus, too. She's avoiding my eyes. Great. I just put ourselves in an awkward situation. I sighed. Ottoke...

But she lifted her head and smiled at me. I was confused for a moment, but I saw her eyes glitter as she looked behind me. I turned my head and saw the colourful buildings with terra cota roofs, it's like a small French village. Then I saw the big signage, Petite France.

I grabbed her hand and we started to walk, there aren't much people since it's a weekday but we still covered our faces with face masks to avoid drawing attention       

I grabbed her hand and we started to walk, there aren't much people since it's a weekday but we still covered our faces with face masks to avoid drawing attention.

"I think I went here with my mom and brother when I was little, but I vaguely remember." I tried picturing the memory but I couldn't, "they filmed a lot of dramas here. My Love from the Star, Secret Garden... hmm what else?"

"I know they did, but it wasn't the reason why I wanted to go here." Her voice is softer than the usual. She pointed at the statue at the entrance. A cartoon image boy with a golden hair, wearing a green coat, blue pants, white boots, with a sword in one hand. Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince).

       

"I read the book a couple of times when I was younger," she smiled, "and after, my father brought me to the museum in Hakone. I have a lot of fond memories of that day."

I made a mental note to buy and read that book.

"I told my dad one day, I'll visit all the Little Prince museums and parks there is," she paused, "when I went here in Korea, I thought to myself, one day I'll go here as soon as I could. But I never had the time."

"But Minari," I looked at her, "we had breaks after our promotions."

"I wanted someone to go here with..." she hesitated.

"You could've asked any of the members—"

"I wanted to go here with my..." she paused, "nevermind."

I knew what she meant but didn't push it anymore.

I linked my arms with her and smiled, "Kaja. Let's enjoy today, arraseo?"

 

 

[Mina's POV]

 

The cold breeze passed through and blew my hair to my face, I was about to brush it with my hands "Oh. Jankamman."

Chaeyoung's voice caused me to pause for a second. "Okay, go!"

I was confused and brushed the hair covering my face so I could see her. She's holding her phone and taking a video of me.

"Oooh. Ippeuda." She grinned.

I can't seem to get enough of her ridiculousness. "Aish. Jinjja." I said in between laughs.

"Wae? I can't help it." She walked towards me and offered me her hand, which I instantly grabbed as we took a stroll, side by side.

People passing by didn't seem to recognize us. I couldn't see anyone slyly taking photos and almost every just seemed to be minding their own business.

But we still get disproving looks from people we come across that made me a bit uneasy. Two girls holding hands isn't a big deal, is it? I was about to let go of Chaeyoung's hand when she suddenly squeezed it.

"Look! There's a puppet show." She exclaimed. I glanced at the direction she's pointing at and there was a guy holding a marionette. It's a street performance. There were a couple of people with their children watching and we rushed towards them to see it clearer. We were laughing in amusement as the puppet danced to the music coming from the Bluetooth speaker.

We were laughing in amusement as the puppet danced to the music coming from the Bluetooth speaker       

Chaeyoung suddenly danced as well, copying the puppet and it made me giggle. The kids seemed to be amused and joined in as well. Why are you so adorable?

She urged me to join, and for some reason I didn't even hesitate. For some reason I forgot about other people. It's just us in our little bubble. Even in a crowded place filled with unfamiliar faces, she made me feel comfortable and safe.

"Mina, only look at Chaeyoung." I remember she said that before and that's exactly what I'm doing now. Can I just keep on doing this? Can I just keep looking at her and not mind everyone else?

 

 

[Chaeyoung's POV]

 

Can I just keep on doing this? Can I just keep looking at her and not mind everyone else?  I thought to myself as I look at Mina. I can never get enough of the sound of her laughter. My heart feels so warm with just seeing the glimmer in her eyes.

But I looked around and suddenly the crowd is starting to get bigger. Us, dancing with the puppet and the kids seemed to attract more people.

I grabbed Mina's hand and we ran away from that spot.

We giggled as we catch our breath when we're far enough from it all. We can still hear the faint music from afar. Mina sat down in the nearest park bench and I took the seat next to her.

"Gwenchanha? (Are you alright?)" I grabbed a bottled water from my bag and gave it to her. She took a sip and gave it back to me.

"Never been better." She showed-off the best gummy smile I've ever seen. I can feel my heart melting.

I gulped "L-let's walk around?"

I was about to stand up when she pulled my arm.

"Jankamman. (Wait.)" she reached for my face-mask and pulled it down a bit. With her other hand she also pulled down her face-mask. Her face suddenly leaned closer and I felt her soft lips press against my cheek.

I was flustered.

"Mina-ya..."

Before I could even speak she fixed my mask back and stood up.

Ottoke? I placed my hand on top of my cheek. It feels warm.

"Kaja? (Let's go?)" she offered her hand and I immediately grabbed it.

 

[Mina's POV]

 

What were you thinking, Mina? I suddenly felt like I discovered a part of myself that I've never seen before.

Does it even matter? I thought as I walk, holding Chaeyoung's hand. She's walking a step behind me and has a confusing look in her face. It's like she's deep in thought.

I can't help but smile. I always say that I want to be with someone who's decisive and can lead me but it also feels nice to take the lead sometimes.

"Chaeyoung-a?"

"Oh. Yes, Minari?"

"Let's grab some fruit juice?" I pointed at the café not too far ahead.

I took a sip from my watermelon juice and Chaeyoung seemed to really enjoy her strawberry juice.

"Ah. This is good. Jinjja." Chaeyoung took another sip before closing the bottle cap.

We sat at the open amphitheater and there was a pair standing on stage, one is playing her violin and the guy has an accordion sitting on his lap. We just sat there for hours, taking in the ambiance, talking about random things we find interesting until we noticed the crowd thinning down. I realized I haven't even touched my phone the whole day. I pulled it out to check the time. 19:00. I guess time really flies when you're enjoying someone's company.

"The park will close in an hour." I sighed.

"I guess we have to get out of here so we can catch the bus before everyone leaves."

We stood up at the same time and before we even realize it, our hands were already clasped together.

 

[Chaeyoung's POV]

 

Before heading out, I caught a glimpse of a small shop at the end called Antika. I looked at Mina.

"Let's go in?" she tilted her head. I smiled as I nodded.

Before heading in, I saw a red vintage-looking mail box       

Before heading in, I saw a red vintage-looking mail box. There's a girl writing something in a piece of paper on top of a counter near it. We went inside and looked around. It's filled with antique pieces. Stained glass wind chimes, ornamental plates, wooden chests.

Then at the corner of my eye, I noticed something that seemed out of place. There's a box filled with blank papers, envelopes, stamps and pens. The owner saw me staring at it and approached us. He's an old man with balding gray hair, round glasses and a properly trimmed beared.

"Is there anyone that you miss?"

I was startled.

"I-I'm not sure. I guess."

He smiled at us in a warm manner. "You saw the mail box in front?"

I nodded. 

"You can write letters to people you love or miss and drop it in there. The post office still picks up the letters and send it out."

"But wouldn't that take days?" Mina asked, while adjusting her face mask.

"A few days to a week, probably." He shrugged

"Then can't we just message them what we want to say?"

The old man smiled. "That's the thing," he paused, "communicating with people has been too convenient that the words we utter or type out start to lose their essence. Messages are too simplified and easily received that we could no longer absorb fully what the person is trying to say nor make effort to elaborate what we really want the recipient to read. Emotions become fleeting. It fades away just as fast as it takes to be sent out."

I felt goose-bumps as I stared at the ajusshi. From the top of the drawer, he pulled out a pair of pens, papers, envelopes, and stamps.

"Why don't you two ladies try to write to someone special? Tell them how you really feel. You could pour out the emotions you can't message or tell them. Or wish you could say. Just give it a try." He urged us to grab the papers. I hesitantly accepted them and handed one to Mina.

"Thank you." she smiled at me.

We both stared at each other for a brief moment, not saying anything. 

You look really beautiful today. I wanted to tell her. Even with the face mask covering half her face she's still so beautiful. I held back the urge to tuck behind her ear the strands of hair covering her face. 

Things I wish I could say.