CHAPTER 23

10 일만 내놔 : Give me 10 days

[Chaeyoung's POV]

 

 

"What am I going to find out eventually?" Mina asked again.

It's like I've been poured with a bucket of ice water in winter. I'm frozen like a Popsicle stick. Jeongyeon and Momo are doing the same thing and I couldn't blame them. We've been talking about the unidentified person who took our photo last night. How we can't go out alone until we figure out who that person is.

How much of our conversation did she hear? Do I have to come clean?

I looked at Jeongyeon unnie. Ottoke?

She looked at me and nodded.

"Arraseo." Jeongyeon finally talked. "We'll tell you the truth. But promise don't be mad at Chaeyoung. Don't be mad at us. Arraseo?"

Oh crap. She's gonna say it. I'm trying to catch her attention but she didn't even bothered glancing at my direction. Unnie, please. Don't tell her yet. Jebal.

"What is it?" Mina patiently waited for Jeongyeon to continue her confession.

"Mianhe, Minari." Jeongyeon paced slowly towards her. "The truth is..."

She paused in front of Mina. "What?"

Jeongyeon placed her hand on Mina's shoulder. "We didn't cook our dinner last night. It's just a delivery order from the restaurant three blocks away from here. Mianhe."

Eh?

"Eh?" Mina and Momo said at the same time.

Jeongyeon quickly side-eyed Momo then looked at Mina.

"Yes. That's the truth. Actually, it's all Momo's fault. She poured the whole container of salt in the pot. It was... tragic." She sighed dramatically.

Mina looked at me. I can see Momo cursing Jeongyeon silently as Mina stared at me.

"Right, Chaeyoung-a?" Jeongyeon urged me to say something to back her up.

Ani, unnie. Crap. Arraseo, I'll have to work with this.

"A... Actually, I was going to tell them." I gulped as I awkwardly smile at Mina, turning to Jeongyeon. "Unnie. I was actually about to tell you that... that I already told Mina unnie last night that w-we didn't cook the food. I... I just couldn't keep a secret from her." I can feel my scalp breaking out with cold nervous sweat. Why can't you just tell her the truth, Chaeyoung-a?

I'm just digging myself into a deeper hole. I have no idea what facial expression I'm using anymore, Mina's blank stare is killing me and so does Momo and Jeongyeon's confused faces.

Momo blinked and clapped. "Aigoo! Is that what you've been trying to tell us a while ago? Oh. I get it now." She finally catch on. Thank goodness.

She then hid behind Mina and made an OK sign with her fingers. I fought the urge to shake my head.

"Ah. Arraseo. Arraseo. Gwenchanha, Chaeyoung-a. Well. It's good that we cleared it all up. Arraseo..." Jeongyeon animatedly tapped my shoulder. Unnie, please don't make this weirder. I'm sending her signals with my eyes but I don't think she was able to decode any of it.

Mina is still staring at me, not saying a word. I can't read her expression and it made me even more anxious.

She finally smiled. "Let's go out for breakfast."

Go out? I blinked.

She nodded. "Why? What's wrong?"

Because there's probably someone with a telephoto camera waiting for us outside. Waiting for the right opportunity to get more photos.

"M-maybe—"

Jeongyeon flung her arms around both Mina and me. "Kaja! Let's all grab breakfast outside."

I looked at her and she winked at me. Gomawo, unnie.

If we go out with Jeongyeon and Momo with us, maybe that person wouldn't be following us.

"But I already made egg sandwiches for us." Momo pouted at Jeongyeon.

"Oh. Right." Jeongyeon looked at Momo.

Ottoke? We can't go out alone right now. There was a few seconds of awkward silence until the door from our room opened. Dahyun and Tzuyu are both wearing their sweaters.

Tzuyu walked towards us, "Mina unnie. Kaja?"

"Oh. Are we leaving now? I was just asking Chae if she wants to go..." she pointed at me.

Oh. We're going out with them. I blinked "Yes. Yes. Of course. Let's go out." I nodded at Mina and straightened my back. "Momo unnie only cooked eggs for her and Jeongyeon unnie. Let's just buy our food at the café." I'm talking too fast. Am I? I don't know. Why am I sweating? Isn't it cold? My mind is racing and the thoughts just kept on coming.

"Arraseo." Mina turned to Tzuyu, "Can you give me ten minutes? I'll just wash my face and change clothes."

"Okay, unnie. We'll wait for you." Tzuyu smiled at her as she ran to their bedroom.

I tried walking past Tzuyu, heading to our bedroom, but she blocked my way.

"Wae?"

She's just staring down at me. "Where are you going?"

"I'm just going to change clothes." I shrugged.

"No, you're not."

"What? Look what I'm wearing. I can't wear this outside." I'm wearing a loose shirt I had since I was a trainee and a black and white striped pajama.

She tossed me my oversized gray coat. "Just wear this over that."

"Why? You gave Mina ten minutes to change clothes. Why can't you let me change, too? Neomuhae." I pouted.

She rolled my eyes at me. "Why are you being weird?"

What? I'M BEING WEIRD? I scoffed.

"You've been acting weird since yesterday. You're hiding something." She continued. "You have ten minutes to tell me everything."

I was taken aback. I turned to Jeongyeon and Momo, who both have their faces stuffed with egg sandwiches.

Jeongyeon unnie coughed and chewed on her sandwich before speaking. "I'm sorry, kid. I can't help you with that. You're on your own."

I turned back to Tzuyu and sighed. "Fine. I can do it in five."

---

 

Tzuyu, Dahyun and I are all sitting in the sofa. My head is facing Mina's room so that I could see her immediately once she comes out. I'm waiting for Tzuyu and Dahyun's opinion in the matter.

"So you have to avoid going out in public with Mina alone, right?" Dahyun is rubbing her chin like it's a magic lamp.

"Ne."

"So that also means there won't be no Michaeng fan service in concerts." Tzuyu stared at me.

I blinked. "I... I don't know."

She rubbed her hands together. "Arraseo. Mitzu shippers will be excited."

"Wae?!" My voice got too loud.

"Wae? You said you can't be seen in public being sweet to each other. Concerts are public venues." Her expression didn't change.

"But... Michaeng."

Dahyun swung her arm around my shoulder. "Gwenchanha. You could be sweet to me instead. Dubchaeng!" she made a weird swag expression with her face.

"Mitzu and Dubchaeng. It will be fun." Tzuyu clapped softly.

"Anieyo! I didn't consent to that!" I protested.

 

 

[Mina's POV]

 

 

I tied my hair and put on a ball cap. I didn't want to waste time fixing my hair. I can just do that later before we leave for the airport.

I reached under my bed and blindly grabbed a pair of shoes.

I pulled out a black canvas slip-on. It's the one with Chaeyoung's doodles and hand writing all over.

Love is doing small things with great love. I read it again.

I sighed. I couldn't understand why she's being distant and weird since yesterday. Did I do something wrong? Did she not like the scarf I gave her? Did I say something offensive?

I kept on racking my brain for answers but I couldn't come up with any. I put back the shoes she gave me and pulled out a different one. A pair of black flat ankle boots. I put them on, wore my light gray cardigan, wrapped a thick scarf around my neck and went straight to the door.

Chaeyoung is waiting for me at the other side.

She's wearing the red scarf I gave her.

"Kaja? (Let's go?)" she smiled brightly at me. I have to admit, her dimples are my weak spot.

I looked around, "Where's Dahyun and Tzuyu?"

"They already left."

Oh. Did I take too long? I checked my watch. It's only been eight minutes.

"Okay. We'll just follow them to the café?" I closed the door behind me.

"Ani." Chaeyoung walked in front of me. Heading to the main door.

She grabbed the handle and reached for my hand. "We're going somewhere else."