CHAPTER 20

10 일만 내놔 : Give me 10 days

[Chaeyoung’s POV]

 

 

“Ottoke? Ottoke? Ottoke?” My mind is starting to hurt from overthinking.

“Stop that. Repeating ottoke over and over again wouldn’t solve anything.”

Jeongyeon unnie scolded me.

After figuring out that it wasn’t just her who took pictures of us, I pulled Jeongyeon out of the rehearsal studio and dragged her to the room beside it.

“You pacing back and forth isn’t helping either.” I commented. She took one last step and stood up straight. She faced me with her arms crossed and her eyebrow raised.

“We should tell PD-nim.” Unnie sighed.

“What?” my eyes widened.

“We should tell JYP-nim.”

ANDWE!!! (No way)” I felt my heart drop to my feet.

“How about manager-nim.”

Andwe. Andwe. Andwe. Hajima, unnie.” I pleaded. No, we can’t. No one in the management should know.

“Leader-nim?” Jeongyeon is waiting for my answer.

I didn’t respond but I’m considering if I should. Would Jihyo be able to help us without anyone in the management knowing?

“Look, Chaeyoung-a. We don’t know who took those pictures. This is a serious matter. Either it’s a saesang or a reporter, if we don’t do something now, things might get out of hand. We can’t ignore this.”

I put both my hands over my head. “I know, I know.”

“We’re leaving for our tour tomorrow.”

“Yes. I know, unnie. And that’s why I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring this matter to the management now. If the members find out about this, it might distract them.”

“I’m already distracted, so what if they get distracted, too?”

“Mina.” I finally blurted out. “I can’t let her find out about this. Not now.”

Because if she finds out, it’s all over.

I know I’m being selfish, but if we stop now, it will be over and I’ll never get the chance ever again.

Vivid images of Mina’s face flashed inside my head. All of it, she’s smiling back at me.

I already pictured in my head all the worst case scenarios that’s going to come after all this. The articles that might spring out of it. But I’m not scared of any of those. There’s only one thing I’m scared of. Losing her smile. Losing it sooner than I’m supposed to.

“I already know this is not going to work.” With a heavy heart, I finally said it. I’ve been in denial for the longest time, but I think it’s time to face the reality. “I know there’s no possibility of Mina and I ending up together in the end. Even if this thing didn’t happen. Even if…”

Even if our trial period runs out. Things will go back to the way they are. Maybe it won’t be exactly the same but I know that eventually, she’ll move on. Eventually she’ll no longer smile in my direction. At least not the way she does now. No. Eventually, she’ll be saving that smile for someone else.

I tried my best to hold back my tears. “I’ve been delusional, but this is my only chance, unnie. 7th day. We’re only in our seventh day. Please let me finish what I started.”

Jeongyeon looked straight at me with a hurt expression in her face.

“This might lead to serious repercussions, Chaeyoung-a.” she whispered.

“I will take full responsibility, unnie. Please just give me three more days. Jebal. Whatever happens after that, I’ll face it.” My knees are shaking but I’m determined. I won’t back down.

“You’re not thinking straight. You’re not thinking at all.” She shook her head.

I felt a lump in my throat. “Even if the management decides to kick me out—”

Jeongyeon lifted her foot and swung it to my . I almost fell down but was able to catch my balance. “AH! What was that for?”

Jug-eullae? (Do you want to die?)” Her face looks angry. “Don’t ever dare to think about that. Ofcourse, we won’t let the management kick you out, pabo.”

Unnie…

“But we’ll definitely take turns kicking your after this.” She smirked, but her smile didn’t reach her eyes. “We got your back, kid. Literally and figuratively. Just let me know how we can help, arraseo?

My trembling heart felt warm after hearing her words. I bowed in front of her. With my back bent fully, head almost reaching my knees.

“Kamsahamnida, unnie.”

Aish. Jinjja Pabo.” She wrapped her arms around my neck. “Let’s go back inside.”

 

 

[Mina’s POV]

 

What’s taking them so long?

Nayeon unnie and I are rehearsing the choreography when I saw Chaeyoung suddenly pull Jeongyeon out of the room. At first I thought she just wants to go to the wash room but it’s been more than fifteen minutes and they stil haven’t come back.

Should I look for them? Ani, it would be weird. Chaeyoung might think I’m stalking them. Maybe they just bought some food. Maybe.

I stood up.

Nayeon unnie immediately grabbed my arm.

“Wae? Where are you going?” she grasped firmly on my sleeve.

“I… I’m just going to buy some energy drink from the vending machine.” That’s a lie. But since I said it I’m just going to do that.

She looked around and called out to Sana. She still didn’t let go of my arm.

“Yah! Sana. Give me that.” Sana is in the middle of opening her bottle of Pocari.

“Wae?” she looks confused but still handed her drink to unnie.

“Here, take this.” She passed it to me.

“Hey! That’s mine!” Sana whined.

Nayeon smiled cheerfully, “Manager Tendo went out and bought Jihyo and I honey lemon drink. You can have mine. Arraseo?”

“But I want peach lemonade.” Sana is still sulking.

Arraseo, arraseo. I’ll call him to buy you one.” Then she turned her head towards me. “Do you still want this drink or do you want something else?”

“I’ll have watermelon. And strawberry for Chaeyoung.” I smiled.

“Aigoo. This Japanese girls.” Nayeon finally let go of me.
“Yeorobun, I’m taking orders now. Who wants some drinks? Pali, I’ll call manager-nim in a minute.” She yelled to the room.

“Peach lemonade!” Momo raised her hand.

“I ordered the same thing!” Sana got excited and went to hug Momo.

“I’m okay with just water.” Dahyun held up her almost empty bottle of water.

“I’ll have an Americano.” Tzuyu didn’t even bother looking up from her phone. The door opened and Jeongyeon went in.

“We’re ordering from the juice bar. Not the coffee shop.” Nayeon yelled.

“I want an Americano, too!” Jeongyeon ran inside towards Nayeon. Chaeyoung followed after closing the door behind.

“Are we taking orders?” she walked towards me.

“I already ordered a strawberry drink for you.” I smiled at her.

She smiled back and sat down. “Gomawo, Minari.”

I sat down beside her. “Where did you go?”

“Just outside.” She didn’t bother offering an explanation. Okay. Well. It’s none of my business, I guess.

“Do you want to go out for sushi later?” I asked her. We haven’t planned anything tonight so I figured maybe we could have dinner outside. Just the two of us.

Instead of responding, she looked at Jeongyeon. What’s going on?

“Ah… you can’t go out!” Jeongyeon interjected.

She hesitated and looks like she’s waiting for Chaeyoung to say something. This is confusing me even more.

I saw Chaeyoung’s face panicking.

“Bec… because we’re cooking! Yes! We’re cooking dinner.”

“You are?” Nayeon and I said at the same time.

“We are?” Chaeyoung also, “I mean. We are. Yes. We’re cooking our dinner.”

“What are you planning to cook?” I asked.

Both their faces went blank. I looked at Chaeyoung, then Jeongyeon.

“Take a guess…” Jeongyeon smiled awkwardly.

Why are these two extra weird today?

Gamjatang? (Pork bone soup)” Nayeon guessed.

Momo raised her hand, too. “Kimchi jiggae?

Chaeyoung clapped her hands. “Ne, majayo! (Yes, that’s right!)”

“Which one is it?” Momo asked.

“B...Both.” I saw them look at each other. I didn’t know they could cook Gamjatang. Well, Jeongyeon’s dad is a chef.

*Ding*

I checked my phone to see who messaged me.

Annyeong! I just got back last night. Are you free tonight? Let’s have dinner.

 

It’s Bambam.

I looked at Chaeyoung. She saw me staring and she smiled at me, her deep dimples showing. 

I smiled back, nervously.