CHAPTER 11

10 일만 내놔 : Give me 10 days

[Chaeyoung's POV]

 

I just got off the bathroom and was wiping my face with the towel, walking up the stairs, I smiled at myself. It's probably one of the best days of my life. I looked at my bedroom door. Mina's probably already inside.

I opened the door and saw Mina flailing around blankets and putting it on the floor. She smiled at me. "I got these from your closet."

"What are you doing?" I asked as I closed the door behind me.

"I'm fixing my bed." She pointed at the makeshift bed from thick blankets on the floor.

"No, you're not. You're going to sleep on the bed." I opened the third closet and took out more pillows. "I'll sleep on the floor. You're my guest. You should feel comfortable."

"No." she took the pillows from my hands, "this is your room. You should sleep at your own bed."

"That's not how it works." I grabbed back the pillows from her hand.

She lifted her right hand and closed her fist.

"Kai Bai Bo (Rock paper scissors)" she exclaimed.

"What?"

"If you win, I'll sleep in your bed. If I win, you sleep in the bed and I on the floor. Arraseo?"

Before, we'd play Kai Bai Bo so that the winner would sleep in the more comfortable bed. Now, it's the complete opposite. This is probably the most selfless rock paper scissors ever.

I held out my hand. "Fair enough."

She flexes her arms and crunched her knuckles. This silly penguin. I chuckled.

"Kai Bai Bo."

I put out scissors.

Mina's fist is still closed. Rock. She won. Why am I not surprised?

She showed her smuggest gummy smile.

"Race to three?" I protested.

"Ani-ya. We didn't talk about that." She placed more pillows at the bed. "You sleep comfortably. Goodnight, Chaeyoung-a."

She sat on the floor, making a nest out of the pillows.

I was about to lie down in bed. I looked back at her.

"Or we could both sleep in the bed?" I smiled coyly, she looked up.

I sat on the bed. "I mean, it's big enough for the two of us."

"It's not." She answered. I winced. Yes, it's not. I should've bought a bigger bed. Dammit.

But since I rarely go home I didn't bother to replace my old bed. This was my bed since I was fourteen. Not much changed in terms of my height so it seemed fair to keep this bed. I shook my head.

"Look. If I lie down like this," I demonstrated, lying on my side with my back against the wall, "there's still enough space for you. See?"

"That's not comfortable for you." She said. "We've been room-mates once in Japan. I've seen you sleep. You're like a starfish." She lay down and spread both her arms and legs, giggling. I scoffed.

You probably forgot we slept on the couch together last night. But I decided not to bring it up.

"Fine." I sat up, "then let's not use the bed." And slid down to the floor.

"Let's both sleep here."

 

[Mina's POV]

       

"Let's both sleep here."

Chaeyoung's warm hand clutched mine.

Eh? She's waiting for my answer but I couldn't even open my mouth. Ottoke? Why is my heart beating so fast?

I just nodded. She flashed her biggest smile and let go of my hand.

She started fixing our bed.

"All done." She fluffed the pillows and patted soft stacks of comforters and blankets. "Let's sleep."

We both lie down. "Oh, I used all the blankets for the mattress. I only have one left." She pulled one thick blue blanket.

"Here, you can have this. I'll just go to Jeonghoon's room and get one more blanket."

I grabbed her arm before she could even stand-up. "Gwenchanha. We can share this blanket."

We both slipped under the blanket and awkwardly stared at the ceiling.

"There's no camera at the ceiling." Chaeyoung said, followed by a tense laughter.

"Eh?" I don't get it.

"I mean, it's like our Lie-V all over again. But we just don't have cameras around us."

Right. The Lie-V. I smiled at the memory. That was three years ago. Three years.

"I remember how awkward it was at the beginning." I noted.

"Right. It's weird that we were the first ones to do it out of all the members." We were the quietest members of Twice.

"Jeongyeon wanted to do it with Momo first, but Nayeon didn't want them to." I remembered how persistent Nayeon was in trading bedrooms with Momo before. She almost got it after bribing Momo with jokbal for a week.

"Then Nayeon unnie said we should do it, since we'll probably make the audience actually fall asleep because of how boring we are." Chaeyoung pouted.

"It's okay. We did better than we thought." I comforted her.

"Arraseo." She turned to me. "Do you still do that?"

"Do what?" I stared back at her.

"Spray perfume at your bed every night?" Ah that one.

"Yeah. I do." I stood up.

"Where are you going?" she asked as I walked to the bedside table and opened my purse. I took out a small spray bottle and sat beside Chaeyoung.

"I always bring this everywhere I go." I opened the cap and sprayed perfume at the air. "For emergency purposes."

"Daebak." Chaeyoung exclaimed as I place the perfume on top of the drawer.

 

 

[Chaeyoung POV]

 

 

"Daebak." That's all I could say. Jinjja Daebak.

Mina is really so feminine. The scent of her perfume filled the room. The calming aroma of jasmine is so calming, just like Mina's presence.

We're now lying down, face to face.

She's smiling at me and it made my heart flutter. I remembered that night, our first solo Lie-V.

"Did you fall in love with me?" She giggled as she lay down beside me.

I was taken off guard and said "Yes."

My heart raced.

Ottoke? 

In the corner of my eye I saw the managers looking at me. Right above us, and all around us, cameras focus in our faces. We're not alone and the broadcast is still rolling. I felt a lump in my throat

"I can't do that." I laughed it off like nothing happened.

I regretted that. The moment I said it I was filled with regret. If only it we weren't in that position. I wouldn't take back what I said.

We're staring at each other. Not saying a single word. My heart still race wildly every time I look at her. It's a storm of anxiety that calms when I see her beautiful eyes stare back at me.

I reached out for her hand and held it.

'Did you fall in love with me?' if I hear those words again, I promised myself to hold her hand tightly and say Yes without hesitation or fear.

I closed my eyes. For now, I'm just happy you're right there next to me.

I closed my eyes and hoped that in my dreams I'll have the courage to say the words I've been wanting to say for the longest time.

Saranghae, Mina chan. Saranghamnida.

 

 

[Mina's POV]

 

As I lay down beside Chaeyoung, smelling the scent of the perfume I sprayed, my playful mind had the urge to ask her 'Did you fall in love with me?'

I stopped myself.

I remembered on our Lie-V. I asked the question playfully and when she answered back 'Yes' it felt like my heart stopped for a second then resumed at 120 beats per minute.

Then when she said 'I can't do that,' my heart dropped. I got confused with myself. Why did my heart flutter over nothing? I smiled at how stupid I've been before.

I looked at Chaeyoung and she's staring back at me. For minutes we lay down next to each other, not saying a word.

The silence made me feel comfortable. Chaeyoung's presence always calms me down.

Then she reached for my hand and held it. I froze. Trying to find words to say but failing to do so.

'Did you fall in love with me?' again I had the urge to ask her but stopped myself.

She closed her eyes while still holding my hand. I didn't let go. I don't want to.

I squeezed her hand as I closed my eyes. I'm just happy you're right here next to me.

Jaljayo, uri kkumsogeseo dashi mannayo. (Goodnight, let's meet in our dreams again.)