CHAPTER 21

10 일만 내놔 : Give me 10 days

[Mina’s POV]

 

19:14. I closed my phone after checking the time.

We’re all so exhausted from the rehearsals and after three full sets of concert runs, we’re finally on our way home. Chaeyoung is sitting beside me in the van, both she and Jihyo are sleeping. I also feel exhausted but I couldn’t sleep. I looked at my phone again. I still haven’t replied to his message.

I sighed and started typing.

I thought you won’t be back until next week. Mianhe. I can’t meet you tonight. I have a lot to do and we’re leaving tomorrow for our tour. Maybe when we come back?

I sent the message before I could overthink my reply.

In just a few seconds, my phone vibrated.

Yeah. A schedule got cancelled so I went back earlier. Gwenchanha. I’ll see you after your concert. Just message me. Hwaiting!

I saw Chaeyoung move from my parallel vision. She's stirring in her sleep.

I gently pulled her head and placed it over my shoulder.

“Minari…” she mumbled, her eyes still firmly shut.

She must be dreaming. I held her hand and rubbed her palm with my thumb.

“Ne, Chaeyoung-a. I’m right here…”

 

 

[Chaeyoung’s POV]

 

Okay. I have no idea how to cook any of these. I gulped. Jeongyeon and Momo bought the ingredients and we’re all just standing in a circle in the kitchen.

“I thought I’m just going to eat. Why am I also cooking?” Momo pouted.

“You’ve been into cooking these past few weeks, right? Just help us. Jebal.” Jeongyeon asked her.

“Eh.” Momo grunted. “Right now, I’m just into eating.”

I’m scanning recipes online.

“Here. Let’s try this.” I showed it to them.

---

 

I’ve added the perilla leaves last in the pot of simmering soup. I continued stirring for about two minutes.

“Unnie, how’s the kimchi jiggae?” I saw Jeongyeon and Momo tasting the jiggae and adding more gochujang to the mix.

“Here. Taste it.” She scooped a spoonful and blew it. I left my pot of simmering Gamjatang and slurped on the kimchi stew. It’s a little bit hot.

“How’s your soup going?” Momo unnie walked past me and tasted the broth with her own spoon.

“Ya. Jeongyeon, taste this.” Momo approached Jeongyeon holding up her spoonful of pork bone broth.

“Hmm. Okay then...” Jeongyeon looked at me.

Arraseo.” I replied and looked at Momo.

Arraseo.” She nodded.

---

 

“Chaeyoung-a. The delivery guy texted. He’s already downstairs. Pali.” Jeongyeon and I looked at each other.

Ka! (Go!)” Momo pointed to their bedroom. “You know what to do. I’ll distract them.”

After almost two hours of trying to cook, we all agreed that our cooking skills are still not up to par. Momo suggested that we just order from the nearest food delivery and sneak it in like how we do when we’re still trainees, then just pretend that we cooked all of it.

Jeongyeon unnie and I sneaked in to their bedroom while she messaged the delivery guy. We opened the window and saw him downstairs.

Ajusshi!” we yelled in a whispered tone. He looked up and we waved at him. I tied the money at the end of the shoelaces we tied together and lowered the string.

Jeogiyo. Can you please put tie the food at the string?” he removed his helmet and we could see him smiling, he looked amused.

“Oh. This. Arraseo. Are you on strict diet again?” Shaking his head, he abided to our wishes. After he secured the food we slowly pulled the string. Careful to not make it slip out of our hands.

“Kamsahamnida!” we bowed at him before closing the window.

---

 

The three of us are all huddled in the kitchen, Momo occasionally glancing behind us. Making sure none of the girls don’t see while we carefully transfer the food from its plastic containers to our ceramic bowls.

Pali. Pali. Pali.” Momo’s rushing us while elongating her neck. I think she’s also trying to watch the drama they’re all watching in the television.

Jamkkanman, (Wait)” Jeongyeon lifted a thermos of hot water and poured half a cup to the bowl of Gamjatang. She also opened the container of gochujang and added a small scoop to the Kimchi jigae. “It won’t be believable if it tastes perfect.”

I didn’t think about that. “Good job, unnie.” I patted her back.

Arraseo.” Momo ran to call the girls. “The food is ready. Yeorobun, mokja! (Everybody, Let’s eat!)”

 

 

[Mina’s POV]

 

We’re all ready to eat in the long table, I saved the seat beside me for Chaeyoung while she’s preparing our drinks.

“Here you go.” She gave me a glass of honey lemon.

“Gomawo, Chaeyoung-a.” I smiled at her while she took her seat.

“Mokja, mokja, mokja.” Before we could respond, Momo is already eating.

Itadakimasu!” Sana raised her chopsticks and we all started eating.

I took a sip from the Gamjatang, “Mmm! Mada! (Delicious!)”

It’s the first time I ate Chaeyoung’s cooking and it’s surprisingly delicious.

I looked at her, expecting her to respond but she didn’t even lifted her head. She’s just staring at her food. Something’s wrong.

I placed my hand at her back and leaned in to her. “Gwenchanha?

She looked at me and flashed a wide smile. “Dayeonhaji! (Of course!)”

You’re lying. I didn’t press further. I could feel that something’s bothering her but for some reason, I’m afraid to ask. Maybe I’ll ask her later.

“This tastes familiar.” Nayeon commented, she took another spoonful of her kimchi jiggae. “It’s like that restaurant we ordered from last week… but this is just a little bit saltier.”

Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon looked at each other.

Jeongyeon let out a loud laughter, “Ne. Ne. We’re good cooks. Arraseo. Just keep on eating.”

---

 

I just finished packing up my suitcase.

*Ding*

I checked my phone to see who messaged me.

It’s Bambam again. He sent me a dancing Penguin sticker.

A text popped up after.

This reminded me of you. :) 

I smiled. I forgot how silly he can get sometimes.

Another message followed.

You’re probably busy. Mianhe. I just missed you.

I just missed you. I read that message again.

I just missed you...

I’m frozen, just staring at the screen.

When I decided that I’m going to reply, I received another message.

Goodnight, Minari.

It’s from Chaeyoung.

 

 

[Chaeyoung’s POV]

 

I’m lying in my bed, just staring at my phone. Looking at the last message I sent Mina.

The double check marks indicated she already read the message but she hasn’t responded yet. I suddenly felt anxious.

Why did I send her a message? I could have just said goodnight in person. I sighed. But why hasn’t she responded yet? Okay. Stop overthinking.

I decided to stand up and wash my face to clear my head. It’s alright, Chaeyoung. If she doesn’t reply, it’s not a big deal. Arraseo? Arraseo.

I grabbed my towel and headed to the door.

I sighed and opened it.

Mina’s standing at the other side, holding a huge pillow. She smiled immediately when she saw me.

I blinked. I realized that my mouth was gaped open and closed it.

 

“Can I sleep here tonight?”