CHAPTER 17

10 일만 내놔 : Give me 10 days

[Chaeyoung's POV]

 

I'm trying to walk as fast as I could. Like I just drank three cans of Redbull.

Don't make her wait. Don't make her wait. I can already see the parking lot.

Dammit. Why are my legs so short??

The cold breeze is piercing through my skin. I just realized that I forgot to wear my jacket. I stopped and looked back at the restaurant.

Nevermind. I resumed walking and picked up my pace, ignoring the chills running up my spine.

I got to the van and knocked. No one answered.

Isn't this our van? I took a step back. Black, Gray, White. They were riding the white one. I knocked again.

"Minari?"

"Chaeyoung-a!" I heard Mina's voice. I turned around and I saw her waving from a bench at the opposite side of the parking lot.

I practically ran towards her.

"Why are you here?" I asked as I catch my breath.

"You came faster than I thought." She looks pleased. I smiled back at her while still panting.

"Here." She handed me a carton of strawberry yogurt drink.

"Where did you get this?" I took it from her and sat beside her.

She pointed at the vending machine three benches away from us.

"Oh." Of course. There's vending machines everywhere.

I pierced the carton with a straw and took a sip from my drink.

"Ahhh~tasty..." And cold. Really really cold.

As much as I love strawberry flavoured anything, a cold drink is the last thing I would be drinking in this weather. But I'd rather freeze to death than decline anything Mina gives me.

I smiled at the cold carton of strawberry delight. When I was about to say something to Mina, a cold breeze passed through us, sending shivers down my spine.

"Are you cold?" Mina asked.

"A-a-an-iyeo." I gritted my teeth. Trying to stop my lips from trembling.

She smiled apologetically.

"Mianhe, Chaeyoung-a." she wrapped a red knitted scarf around my neck and placed a jacket over my shoulder.

"I took the jacket from the car. I figured you won't be able to wear your jacket. It's Sana's so let's just return it later." Mina said as she fixed the scarf on my neck.

I'm staring down at the red scarf wrapped around my neck. I looked back at Mina, a little confused.

"That one's from me. It's supposed to be my Christmas gift for you. But I guess I couldn't wait for Christmas." She bit her lip.

"W-Why... When did you finish knitting this?" I haven't seen her knit recently.

"I finished the scarf two weeks ago while I was in Japan." That explains it.

"But decided to put a finishing touch last night." she continued.

Last night. I ran my fingers over it. The scarf is so nicely knitted. At the opposite ends of the scarf, I saw two cross-stitched characters.

The first one is a yellow tiger. It made me smile instantly. And the other one is a blue... penguin. I looked at her. I forgot about the cold. My whole body felt warm.

"I read somewhere that Love is doing small things with great love." She smiled, looking down at her shoes.

She's wearing the shoes I painted on.

Mina-ya...

"I've always wondered how it would feel like, giving a gift to my boyfriend." she lifted her head and tucked her hair behind her ear.

I stared back at her. Boyfriend, right. Of course.

 

 

[Mina's POV]

 

I've always been fond of knitting. It takes my mind off things. When I was in Japan two weeks ago, I went to a hobby store with my mom to get some wool. I was planning to crochet some bonnets for the members. Then I saw a pile of ruby red balls of wool yarn.

I only had one thought it mind. This would make a great scarf.

For Chaeyoung. At that moment, for some reason, I forgot about the bonnets. I got excited with the thought of making her an oversized scarf that could feel like a blanket.

Lying down in the bed last night, I woke up from a strange dream I could no longer remember. But I know it wasn't a good one. I was terrified for a second until I saw her face, her peacefully sleeping face, right in front of me.

She really looks like a cute cub sleeping like that. I lay awake, staring at her for minutes. Wondering if she'll wake up if I just continue looking at her. twitched a couple of times and she scrunched her nose once. But her eyes didn't open. Sleep tight, my baby cub.

I gently got out of bed, realizing what I should do. I grabbed my box of crochet stuff and went out of the room. I sat at the couch and opened the TV for background noise. I turned down the volume so I wouldn't wake up anybody.

That's about right. I put down the remote control and picked up my phone, browsing online for doodles of penguins and tigers I could copy.

I don't know how long it took for me to finish it, but I was happy with the result. The cub and the penguin. I hope she likes it.

I heard the door knob open from behind and I immediately hid the box under the couch. I pretended I'm checking my phone.

"Minari..." her soft voice calling out my name sent butterflies in my stomach. I looked up to her and saw her rubbing her eyes.

Why are you so cute? I couldn't help but extend my arms. I wanted to hug her.

 

I was right. The scarf looks perfect on her. I smiled widely. I couldn't hide my satisfaction.

 

 

[Chaeyoung's POV]

 

I'm just staring at her, waiting for her next words.

"It's been 6 days since you asked me if I could be your trial girlfriend." She paused. I nodded at her.

"Things happened so fast and I've been confused most of the time. But you led me well, showing me sides of me I didn't expect I had." She slowly and carefully picked her words. "In the next few days, I want to be more pro-active with our experiment."

Experiment. Right. It's all this is. A trial run. But it isn't, is it? Anieyo. It started getting chilly again. I felt my mouth getting dry.

I just stared at her and nodded. I tried faking a smile but I'm not sure if it showed.

"Thank you, Chaeyoung-a." She reached out to me and hugged me. I burrowed my face on her shoulder.

I know I should probably say something but my mind went blank. I'm confused.

Under the scarf, I tried talking. "Thank you for the scarf. It's beautiful."

"Did you like it?" she asked, still hugging me tightly.

"I love it." As much as I love you. I lifted my arms and wrapped it around my back. Gwenchanha. It's okay even if it's just me who feels this way.

I pulled away and stared at her. I tucked some loose hair behind her ear. Gwenchanha. I repeated to myself.

I placed both of my hands on her cheeks and planted a cheek on her forehead.

Gwenchanha.

*click*

Is that a camera shutter?

*click*

*click*

*click*