Part 12

Hopeless in love

Saturday afternoon for 6 girls who arrived at the Jeongyeon house meant only one thing - relaxation, forget about all the problems and just enjoy life. Jeongyeon was already waiting for them with small canapés cutely arranged on a plate in the form of a smile that shone on her face when she noticed Jihyo's car turning towards her house.

By Saturday evening, after settling down in the living rooms of the house, washing up from the road and changing into comfortable clothes, the girls, who were visiting Jeongyeon for the first time, having asked permission from the hostess, began to look around.

Momo, Jihyo and Jeongyeon were preparing a late lunch, and Sana, who called to help them, was tasked with preparing juice (from freshly squeezed oranges). Momo, who placed the oranges in front of her, showed and told her what to do in an instructive tone:

- Baby, I ask you, if something is not clear, just ask. If I'm busy, the other girls will answer you.

- Don’t worry so much, I know how to make juice, - Sana waved it off, pouting her lower lip a little, her eyes looking with interest at the object she had to work with. - And what’s not clear here, - she said, carefully picking up a heavy bowl, turning it in front of her, “survive the orange, grind the pulp, and then add sugar or honey here.” Mix everything and the juice will be delicious.

- Do you want me to help you… - still not sure of the correctness of her decision, Momo sat down next to Sana, picking up one of the oranges.

- No, I myself, Momorin,- Sana said, taking the orange from her hands and pushing her beloved in the side so that she stood up. - Go help Jeongyeon, if I ask anything, - before the girl left, she quickly stood up and kissed him on the lips, briefly lingering her lips on Momo’s lips.

Momo glanced from time to time towards the concentrated Sana, who was cutting peeled oranges into slices. She was ready to trust her with absolutely everything except cooking.

Unfortunately, her girlfriend didn’t know how to cook; even her scrambled eggs were so burnt that it was impossible to chew. Momo exhaled a little as Tzuyu joined in making the juice.

Chaeyoung suggested that Mina take a walk and look around, hoping to be alone with her girlfriend in this way.

If you're lucky, we can kiss without witnesses – Chaeyoung thought, holding Mina’s hand, leading her further from the kitchen, turning behind the house.

Jeongyeon once mentioned that there is a gazebo and a small pool in the backyard. An ideal romantic place for activities such as kissing.

There was definitely a swimming pool built in an oval shape (not up to standard, like the rest of their friend’s house), there were even several beds hospitably placed, and the umbrellas themselves were neatly folded and stood next to them. The water in the pool shone like a clear sky, shimmering with yellow bunnies, reflecting from the lighting of the roof of the gazebo.

- Mina-unnie, do you want to sit down? – Chaeyoung asked quietly, pointing with her head towards the gazebo.

- Let’s sit by the pool, - Mina suggested, slowly approaching the lounger and sitting down, her gaze still focused on the area than on the girl.

Chaeyoung squatted as close as possible, their shoulders touched, as did their arms, but this was the limit that Chaeyoung could decide on, although her imagination painted a completely different scenario.

Mina, blushing a little, did not remove her hand and did not say anything about intimacy. They dated for more than three months, but for some reason they didn’t go beyond such moments. True, there were kisses on the cheek, the touch of their lips, fleeting compliments, timid glances, and rapid heartbeat.

Yes, that was all, but for some reason no one dared to take a further step.

It was as if there was some kind of stumbling block, an invisible wall.

Chaeyoung wanted to overcome this wall, to break through to Mina, but her little knocks could not break the strength.

They were silent, but the silence had its own delight for the ears; their hearts spoke for them.

Mina was the first to break the silence, but instead of asking Chaeyoung how her day was yesterday, she said:

- Do you think Nayeon-unnie and Dahyun will come?

- If their girls let them go, - Chaeyoung said, biting her lip, feeling an unpleasant feeling rising in her chest at the mention of “girlfriends.”

- And that’s true, -  she shrugged her shoulder from the sudden cold air, although the air temperature was warm. - They probably have fun with them there.

- I guess, if you want, let’s write and ask them, - Chaeyoung suggested, being the first to grab the phone, finding Dahyun’s number and already typing the text:

“Hey bro, how's your date going? If you're bored, you know where to come!”

- Here, look, - she showed the phone to Mina, smiling widely, - now let’s wait for an answer from Dahyun-unnie. Usually she answers my texts right away, - Chaeyoung said confidently, looking down at her just typed text.

- Should I try to write Nayeon-unnie? – after five minutes of waiting, Mina asked, taking out her phone and opening a contact with a drawn bunny.

Mina couldn’t write Nayeon as boldly as Chaeyoung did, but if you ask in a roundabout way, you might be able to find out something.

But as soon as she raised her finger to type text on the keyboard, she became embarrassed, her thoughts began to get confused and, in the end, she simply put the phone aside.

- What did you write, unnie? – Chaeyoung asked curiously looking at the phone she had put down.

- Nothing, I thought, if they want, they will come. By the way, did Dahyun answer you anything?

Chaeyoung wanted to say, but she was interrupted by a whining, plaintive voice from the house, the girls didn’t need to listen, Sana was loud:

- Dubu doesn’t respond to any of my SMS! Why doesn't she answer? I want to see Dahyunie here! I'm sure she would definitely appreciate my delicious drink!

***

The Kim sisters' house was silent and dark, the only light was upstairs in Dahyun's room, or rather in her studio, where they set up a campsite consisting of a camping tent and tons of pillows. Such a structure was created spontaneously, as soon as the girls crossed the threshold of their house, took a bucket of ice cream from the refrigerator, opened a bottle of wine and soju, threw the rest of their things on the floor of the house, went upstairs and simply began to get drunk.

It all started immediately after arriving back in Seoul, the Kim sisters, without saying a word, stinted at a convenience store. After crying tears and feeling sorry for themselves almost the entire way home, the girls decided to “feel free” and “not think about anything or anyone.”

***

On Sunday morning, Jeongyeon invited them to take a walk through the forest, which was located just opposite her house, as a friend said, deep in the forest there is a stream in which the water is always warm despite the seasons.

- If you go higher, you can find hot springs, - Jeongyeon said in all seriousness, passing a basket of prepared picnic food into Jihyo’s hands.

***

On Sunday morning, Kim's sisters had a hangover, but this did not give them a reason to stay home and start fulfilling the wishes that they had played in cards yesterday.

Nayeon lost the most wishes, so with a headache, she got up, prepared breakfast, woke up Dahyun and reminded her:

- We're going to have fun at the theme park.

After the movie park, the only thing playing in theaters that day was either horror or romantic comedy. And also children's anime, which is where the girls went. An hour and a half of time passed in loud laughter, discussion of details, as well as tenderness from the timidity of the main character in relation to the girl he liked.

In the afternoon, the Kim sisters went to a river cafe, where they ordered the most delicious dishes and an alcoholic cocktail for dessert. Then they ordered one more cocktail, another, and they barely made it home.

**

Sunday afternoon was a tiring one. The girls finally climbed higher and found that same stream, or rather its beginning. Indeed, the river water is relatively warm, not hot springs, but relaxing. Going back down the slope was tiring, the muscles in my legs hurt terribly.

Arriving back at the Jeongyeon house, half of the guests simply collapsed on their bed and fell asleep. The persistent ones, namely the hostess herself and Momo, Tzuyu began to prepare dinner. Tzuyu was responsible for the cozy atmosphere around the fire before dinner.

**

Late evening at the Kim family's house felt like Armageddon had struck the house. Scattered things, empty bottles lying around, a broken cup, a black spot on the floor near the steps. The housewives themselves rushed around the house, frantically getting ready.

The condition of the Kim sisters late in the evening - alcohol intoxication reached 60%. For Nayeon this was still the norm, she thought sensibly, but Dahyun...

- Dubu, I know what to do with the rest of our free evening, - Nayeon said, holding her sister by the elbow, helping her down the stairs, picking up their bags and car keys along the way.

- Are we going to another nightclub, Nabong ?

- Better. We are going to a place where they will help us forget.

**

Sunday evening completely convinced MiCheng that the girls would not come. Why should they come, because the time of relaxation in a cheerful company is coming to an end. Tomorrow morning they will pack up and leave again.

While there is still time, why not spend it with friends and enjoy a tete-a-tete with Mina/Chaeyoung.

Now they sat in a semicircle near the fire and watched the magic happen. Jeongyeon decided to show fire magic by throwing colorful powders into the fire. Each of them had freshly cooked meat and vegetable salad on their plates, a blanket on their laps, and Sunday evening became surprisingly cool.

The girls talked peacefully about different things, a pleasant silence enveloped their friendly atmosphere.

- It’s a pity that the Kim sisters couldn’t join us. They probably feel good with their girls. No matter how much we like them, we’ll probably have to come to terms with their choice, -  Jihyo sighed, finishing her glass of red wine, getting up to pour another.

- What are their names again? If we see them often, we’ll have to remember their names, - Sana grimaced, smiling sweetly at the clumsy Momo as she tried to untangle herself from the cocoon of the blanket.

- The girl’s name Dahyun is similar to the name Chaeyoung, but about Nayeon-unnie - Jeongyeon shrugged, not sure of the correctness of the answer, - “baby.”

- I don’t like to pretend, but there’s nothing you can do about it, you’ll have to listen to their happy date on Monday, - Jihyo wanted to continue her thought, but she was interrupted by the horn of an approaching car, and then by the drunken voice of Nayeon, calling the hostess of the house:

- Jeong, come out and help me, I can’t carry it myself!

- Nabong , why did we come here… - Dahyun’s barely audible voice followed the voice of his older sister.

Everyone jumped up and ran to the entrance, greeting the expected guests.

One thought was spinning in MiChaeng’s thoughts:

They are here, now I won't feel so empty.

Only their thought did not last long in their heads, because it was replaced by a completely different thought:

They are drunk. They don't look our way. Are they drunk?

- Look, Jeongie, we bought some drinks, let’s have fun all night long, - Nayeon shouted, waving her arms incoherently, swaying on her feet, holding one edge of the box of purchased alcoholic drinks. - Even though we’re late, the night is just beginning for us, - the girl laughed sadly, voluntarily handing over a box of alcohol into the hands of Tzuyu who arrived in time. – I want to get drunk and not think about anything!

- Me too, - Dahyun agreed, weakly hanging from the shoulder of Sana, who was carefully supporting her by the waist – just drinks, one-time acquaintances and having fun all night, without thinking about anything!

- Jeong, Jihyo, open the bottle, my toast is ripe! – without waiting for an answer from her concerned friends, Nayeon continued, raising her hands up, looking at the dark blue sky decorated with distant stars. – Love ! For hopelessness!

- For hopelessness! – Dahyun supported her older sister, snatching a glass of unfinished alcoholic drink from Sana’s hands and drinking it in one gulp. - Ugh, what bad taste! Give me some wine! What we bought in the store!

**

The Kim sisters did not want to answer any of the questions. They shrugged it off and just drank, bottle after bottle, without snacking. Jeongyeon tried hard to stuff the food in, but they categorically refused and threatened to go to another place and continue poisoning their body there.

Something happened.

The girls had never seen such devastated sisters.

They just had to make sure they didn't get sick or pass out from drinking.

It's strange that they turned out to be silent after so many bottles of booze. They were silent, sinking even deeper into themselves, until Dahyun, not as resistant to alcohol as her sister, muttered:

- I want to sleep, - and she began to fall asleep right in the air, wrapped only in two blankets from Sana and Chaeyoung, who had not left her one step since the moment she arrived here.

Mina, in turn, was next to Nayeon.

- Let’s take you baby, Dahyunie, - Sana suggested in a sweet voice, as if talking to a baby, getting up from her seat.

- I’ll go on my own, I’m not a child! – waving away help, but then almost fell, but Chaeyoung’s hands caught her in time, pressing her close to him.

- Bro, let me help you. It's time for you to sleep, don't be rowdy, no one is your enemy here.

- I don’t want you, not you, - Dahyun brushed off Chaeyoung’s concern, turning away from her gaze. - Not you!

- And if I do this, do you agree? – Sana asked meekly, still being nearby, holding her by the elbow.

- Sana-unnie, you’re so beautiful, it’s such a pity that you’re already busy, - throwing herself into her outstretched arms, hugging her, pressing her face to her chest: “So softly,” she muttered sleepily, and then passed out.

About the same situation happened with Nayeon. Her tolerance for alcohol ended around midnight, when only Mina, Jeongyeon and Jihyo remained near the extinguished fire.

- I'm off. I need a bed. Urgently.

- Finally, unnie. It is high time. Tomorrow you will have a terrible hangover. Mina help me - Jeongyeon asked her tiredly, but was abruptly stopped by Nayeon's voice:

- Don't want. Jihyo better handle it.

- But…

- Jihyo, - Nayeon insisted, covering her sleepy eyes. - I want to sleep.

- Okay, sorry Mina - Jihyo said, taking her place next to Nayeon, hugging her exhausted friend around the waist. – I expect an explanation from you tomorrow, unnie. Can you hear me? Great, she's already asleep.

- Go to bed Mina, we’ll clean everything up tomorrow morning, don’t worry, - Jeongyeon finally said, carefully helping her drunken friend walk along the path to the house.

Chaeyoung and Mina were left alone with confused feelings. They, without saying a word, went into the house, to their rooms, without even saying “good night” to each other, climbed into their bed, dived under the covers and, for reasons that are not clear, burst into tears.

Why not me?