o17 // she's taken

catch him if you can

a double update, check the chapter before this if u haven't!

chapter
17
 

"I got it!" Doyoung broke into the meeting room with a piece of paper on his hands.

"Yeah? How many names?" Youngho stood up immediately, grabbing the paper from his friend.

"8 only, thank God. We can cover the interview in one day," Doyoung sighed in relief as he plopped at a chair next to Jaehyun who was twirling his pen, deep in thoughts. It took a while for Officer Lee and Officer Na to figure out 32 years old man who used to live in the States. They spent the previous night sleeping restlessly at Youngho's apartment, with Yerim graciously providing them with pancakes for breakfast to at least calm their down.

"I already asked Officer Na to categorized it according their locations. Let's split up like last time, shall we?" Doyoung suggested.

"Yeah, sure. Jay, Yerim is in the morgue. Call her up, alright? I'll get going with Doyoung, take care," Youngho clapped his back before grabbing his jacket and keys. Jaehyun nodded and waved his hand before standing up, taking his own jacket and keys with him before walking out of the room to fetch Johnny's little sister. Jaehyun entered the morgue, whistling softly to himself, stopping to smile when he saw the girl.

She was standing with her hand on her hips, lips in a cute little scowl, her blonde hair up in a bun as she stared at the body in front of her.

"Knock, knock," Jaehyun grinned, pretending to knock on thin air.

"Gosh, you scared me," Yerim jolted, causing the man to chuckle softly.

"Sorry. Doyoung got the list of names from Officer Lee and Officer Na. We've got 4 men to interview. Are you busy? I can go alone if you're occupied," Jaehyun explained.

Yerim shook her head as she zipped up the bag, "Not really, I was just re checking if I missed something. Help me store the body back?"

There's no way Jaehyun could refuse her beady eyes that were staring right into his soul so he numbly nodded, grabbing a pair of latex gloves for himself. "I'm still amazed that you manage to do this kind of job yourself," Jaehyun spoke up as he helped lift the bag into the storage.

"And it's very cold too," he added.

"We need to preserve the body to prevent it from decaying," Yerim shrugged as she closed and locked the door, disposing her gloves into a bin afterwards. Jaehyun followed suit, and watched as she meticulously washed her hands.

"So, where are we going today?" Yerim asked as she entered her office to pick up her jacket.

"The same area where Shim Yonghee lived, apparently," Jaehyun said as he leaned against her door, eyes transfixed on her. He couldn't really focus on what she was saying, not when she was taking off the pen that held her golden tresses into a bun, choosing to braid it and let it rest on her shoulder.

"Oppa? Jaehyun oppa?"

Jaehyun snapped back into reality immediately, "Yeah, sorry, I wad spacing out. Hmm, yeah. So, what were you saying?" He sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, feeling heat starting to creep up his ears, the tips turning pink.

"I said, are we taking your car again?" Yerim repeated her words in amusement.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah. We're taking my Kona."

"Cool. Let's go," Yerim grinned, picking up her handbag before skipping lightly outside.

___

"So, who's our first guy?" Yerim asked as she waited for Jaehyun to lock up his car.

"Jung Hyunhae. 32 years old, apparently he was a scholarship awardee, he studied in Ivy League," Jaehyun said.

"Is this his workplace?"

"Yeah, it is. Come," Jaehyun motioned her to follow him.

Yerim followed the older guy into a tall building, walking silently as Jaehyun led them into the elevator, pressing the tenth-floor button.

"What does he do? This seems like a prestigious office."

"A consultant for something, I don't really remember," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Welcome to Daewoong Electronics. How may I help you?"

Jaehyun flashed the receptionist a smile, "I'm Detective Jung Jaehyun, and this is my partner, Dr. Kim Yerim. We're from Seoul Yongdeungpo Police Station," he said smoothly before whipping up his badge.

"O-oh, how may I help you?" The female stuttered.

"I'm looking for Jung Hyunhae."

"Oh, Researcher Jung? Let me lead you to his room, then." Jaehyun nodded, motioning Yerim to follow him. They were led into a room, where the man was seen working on his laptop.

"Researcher Jung?"

The man looked up and raised his brows, "Ms. Yoon. What's wrong?"

"Uhm, sir, you have a guest. These people are—"

"I'm Detective Jung Jaehyun, and this is my partner Dr. Kim Yerim. We're from Seoul Yongdeungpo Police Station. No, Mr. Jung, you didn't violate any laws, we just want to interview you for a few things that might help with our investigation," Jaehyun cut the woman off, showing his badge as he talked to the man.

"O... kay? Do come inside, Detective," the man nodded confusedly as he led Jaehyun and Yerim to the couch inside his room.

"So, Mr. Jung, I guess you've watched the news or read the paper regarding Yongdeungpo Medicine Murder."

"Ah, yes. I've read about it a few times. What does it have to do with me?"

"Our team had decoded a pattern that the murderer seemed to take. The victims are organized in such ways, that we believed you have possibilities of becoming the next target."

"Me? Wait... I swear I don't have any enemy here!"

"I bet you didn't, Mr. Jung. It's just that all victims had dyed hair, used to live in the States, and had at least a tattoo. The murderer also set a pattern for the victims. We believe the next victim will be a 32 years old male that fits the aforementioned criteria."

"I did live in the States, in Boston, for around 6 years. And yes, this hair of mine is dyed, it's not originally brown. But I don't have any tattoo or piercing," the man confessed.

"No tattoo or piercing?"

"Yes, none. I worked in a prestigious research lab in Boston for a year, and we were not allowed to have a single piercing or tattoo there."

"That's a relief then. We're rest assured that you won't be the killer's next target," Yerim smiled.

"But, if you do feel threatened by something or someone, please do come to our precinct, we would love to help. And this is my name card," Jaehyun handed the man his card and the man nodded.

"Alright, detective. I do hope nothing bad will happen to me, and I wish you two luck in your investigation," the man smiled, standing up, preparing to walk his guests out from his office.

"Very well. Thank you for your time, Mr. Jung. We'll get going then," Jaehyun smiled.

They were about to leave the office when the man called Yerim's name.

"Dr. Kim! Dr. Kim, isn't it?"

"Huh? Me? Yeah," Yerim turned around, walking back into the office, letting Jaehyun wait by the doorstep.

"This is my name card, if you're interested in having dinner with me. You're very pretty," the man sheepishly said.

"Eh? Uhm, yeah..." Yerim awkwardly received the card and pocketed it confusedly.

Jaehyun furrowed his brows and watched as Yerim fled the office. He sighed and walked back in briskly. He didn't know what possessed him but he approached the man who was still standing next to his table.

"Uhm, sorry Mr. Jung, but she's taken," Jaehyun patted the guy's shoulder twice before leaving, liking the way the color drained from the man's face.

Jung Jaehyun apparently is crazy and compulsive on his act.

___

"What do you want to order?" Jaehyun asked as they entered a fast food joint.

"I'd like the mushroom burger please. And water, not soda. Yeah, that'd be all," Yerim said.

"Want to share a portion of fries?"

"Make it the skin-on ones," Yerim grinned.

"Noted," Jaehyun winked before leaving to take their order. When he came back 10 minutes later with a tray loaded with their orders, he saw Yerim fiddling with the previous researcher guy's name card.

"You're not really thinking of giving the man a call, right?"

Yerim jolted and quickly shove away the card on her hands. "No! I mean, I was just curious, but no, I wasn't planning on meeting him again," Yerim babbled awkwardly.

Jaehyun sighed in relief and nodded, "Good. Your brother won't like it."

And I won't like it too.

"Anyways, here's your burger and your water."

"Thanks, oppa," Yerim smiled sweetly as she received her food.

"None of the men in our list fit our criteria," Jaehyun mused before picking up a fry.

"I'm glad all of them would be safe. I was a bit shaken when Shim Yonghee was found dead. It's saddening to know that she suffered from depression. What the killer did was awful. Even if she didn't cut herself, consuming Alteplase continuously for a healthy person is dangerous."

"It must've been traumatizing for you. You have to dissect her up," Jaehyun patted her hand sympathetically.

"I felt a bit guilty. I mean, she suffered a lot when she was alive, and I can't fathom how much pain she was in that she ended up cutting herself."

"The condition she was in with her abusive ex-boyfriend was bad enough. Knowing she could be a murder target must've been weighing her down too," Jaehyun commented.

"We really need to stop whoever this guy is from his killing spree," Yerim nodded in resolution.

"We will, Yerim-ah. Let's finish lunch and we'll see the other guys after this, yeah?" Jaehyun mussed her hair playfully.

"Hey, keep your greasy hands off my hair!"

___

"How was it, guys?" Youngho asked when he saw his younger sister and his partner sauntering into the office.

"None of them fit the criteria. How about you?" Jaehyun asked, plopping himself on his desk, watching his two other friends eat their tacos.

"Tacos for lunch? Yah, Jaehyun oppa, remind me to grab tacos for lunch if we went for another interview next time!" Yerim slapped his arm jokingly before taking a seat on his swivel chair.

Jaehyun blinked, next time? Well if she wanted a next time, he'll make sure they have a next time.

"Sure," he shrugged.

"What did you guys eat for lunch, anyways?" Doyoung asked before popping a fallen lettuce into his mouth.

"Burgers."

"Lotteria again?"

"I had the decency to bring her to a cool diner this time. There’s a new burger joint I’ve been wanting to try nearby," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Wow, now I'm the one craving for some burgers," Doyoung shook his head.

"Anyways, John. How's the interview?"

"We got nothing. It's weird. Will the killing streak stop that there's no 32 years old male that fits the criteria?"

"I really hope so. But we ran out of clues, we can't capture the murderer," Jaehyun sighed.

"Even if he stopped killing, we still can't make sure he won't relapse. We can't let that man run free," Yerim nodded.

"The killer's a man?"

"I don't think a woman is strong enough to break someone's bones. And Jaehyun oppa got a glimpse of the killer, right?"

"Oh, right. So, the only clue we have is…?"

"That's he's a male, around Johnny's height, and pretty lean. But he sure is fit since he could break bones and pop joints off," Jaehyun completed Doyoung's sentences.

"There's…. plenty of those here," Youngho sighed.

"Is it possible that those bones were broken with the help of a tool or something though?" Jaehyun turned to Yerim.

"It's possible, but usually tools left indentation or marks on the body. The tool had to press hard into the body to be able to snap those joints off. There were no marks whatsoever, the killer really snapped the corpses in half bare handed," Yerim answered.

"It’s possible though. When you’re being overwhelmed by, I don’t know, hatred? Vengeance? Everything can be possible. Although I have to agree, being a male will give you better strength at snapping bones," Doyoung nodded.

"So, If we were to make a killer profile… the man would be 6 ft tall?" Youngho asked.

"Not as tall as you, you're basically a walking pole. Maybe 5'8? 5'9 if he's wearing thick heeled shoes or boots," Jaehyun said.

"Okay, someone around 5'8, lean, and strong?" Jaehyun nodded.

Youngho sat down and rubbed his face harshly. He was about to talk when the door was knocked and opened immediately.

"Chief!" They all stood up when they saw their distraught looking chief.

"Normally I'd ask you guys to go to my office but well," the man shrugged and took a seat next to Youngho.

"The deputy called me to his office 30 minutes ago."

"What did that old geezer want, Jesus," Youngho groaned.

"That old was pushing it. He wants us to cooperate with the prosec—"

"Whoa, whoa… Chief, I'm not doing it. Please, just, you know…"

Joonmyun nodded understandingly, "I know, Detective Seo. We all despised the prosecution office. I tried to buy time but I don't think it's feasible. Yoon Sangho claimed he had a lead that we don't have."

"How is that possible? Have they been digging around behind our backs? Is it even allowed by the ethical code? We're technically in charge of this case!" Youngho groaned.

"I know, that's why I was mad too. The deputy wouldn't tell me what kind of lead Yoon Sangho had. What about you guys?"

Jaehyun sighed, "I actually had a glimpse of the killer, Chief."

"You—what?! What are you guys waiting for then? I'd gladly issue a search warrant this instant!"

"The problem is that I don't see the face. He was wearing a mask. But I know his figure," Jaehyun rubbed his neck.

"It's better than nothing. Did anyone else saw?"

"No, I was the only one. The man was watching when Youngho received the package from the courier service. I tried to catch him but he literally jumped into a busy road." "He got injured because of that," Yerim pointed out.

"It's still an important lead, Detective Jung. Let's keep this to ourselves. Yoon Sangho will come at any given time now. Let's work harder," Joonmyun said, patting Youngho's back before standing up. Youngho groaned and buried his face in his hands.

"Hey, take it easy man. We'll figure this out."  

 
notes

'tis the double update, hehe.

 

connect with me via twitter with u'd like to and witness me fangirl over nct and other groups there lol (i'm basically an sm stan, if you don't mind it).

 

go follow me @nauranindyaa and i'll follow u back! just tell me you came from the aff realm so i won't get spooked out lmao