author's notes

catch him if you can
author's notes
<3
 

Hi! It's byuntafangull here, and I'm happy (but also sad) to announce that Catch Him If You Can has finally ended! I decided to make the epilogue as a little snippet on how life goes on after Mr. Seo was caught. And to make it a bit interesting, I wrote it in the point of view of Mark, Haechan, and Jisung. Hope it provides some closure!

Despite being posted on 2019, this story actually started on late 2018, when I was watching an old re-run of FOX's Bones. I was inspired by Dr. Bones and Agent Booth, and I was thinking of creating my own story which has a female forensic and male detective. Let me tell you, the first draft was . It doesn't have the NCT members or Yeri's name (I used random OC names), it was really a rough WIP that I made and I completely dumped it because it was so ty. Instead, I started working on vivre, a fluffier more lighthearted story starring Jaehyun and Yeri.

Early 2019, I started my 6th semester of Medical School and we were learning about the Cardiovascular system, and I decided to start back on this story (the working title at that time was: "ty crime ff project", lol). That was how I got inspired to write about the first two victims of this story, who died because of CVS medication. But then, I got more inspired to write about Vivre instead, and yes, this story continued to be neglected on my folder.

Skipped forward to mid 2019, I finally started my 7th semester, a.k.a my last year of Med School! At that time, I felt like I should have made something medical related because I'm going to have 3,5 years worth of medical knowledge, and it'll be such a waste if don't have at least one medical related story. Coincidentally, we started learning Forensics on the 7th semester! I found the topic very interesting since I'm such a big crime junkie, and it was like a lightbulb was switched on immediately. The reason why this story was neglected back then was because I don't have enough knowledge on forensics so I was reluctant on writing about it. This time, I'm going to be learning about forensics from several different forensic doctors (a.k.a my lecturers) so I was pumped up.

I got a Forensic e-book from the lecturer (it was Knight's Forensic Pathology, the 4th edition) and as I read through it and followed my lectures, I got more and more inspired.

I wiped all of my first ty draft, and completely re-wrote the story. Since I was still finishing vivre and I was so immersed in the JaeRi ship at that time, a friend of mine suggested me to write this story as a JaeRi one, and I began to build my characters around them. She was such a big Johnny fan, so she asked me if I could put Johnny in the story, and voila, Johnny was here! Originally, there was no Doyoung but then I felt like I could add another character to spice the story up a bit, and that's how our quartet was formed. And then I was listening to SNSD's Catch Me If You Can and decided to name this story according to that lol.

This story actually helped me a lot in learning forensics, because I did a lot of research and studying for this story, I ended up learning so much and I got an A for my Forensics study!

This story took long to finish, and it endured a lot of revamping. After I graduated last February, I began a training period, and on April, I officially started my clinical rotation clerkship (also known as internship). There, I learned so, so, much. Much more than what I've already learned in 3,5 years of my pre-clinic phase. That's why the updates of the story kind of came to a halt, because I was busy revamping and editing things up. Last December, I was finally interning for the Forensic department. Due to COVID, we weren't allowed to go to the hospital and we had to resort to online meetings and trainings so I was sad that I couldn't see an actual autopsy up close, but I've seen pictures, and heard a lot of stories from my lecturers. That's why the last few chapters came a bit better compared to the beginning of this story, because I've had more trainings about forensics!

The beginning of 2020, since my ultimate bias in NCT is actually Kun (Jaehyun came close on number 3 actually LOL), I decided to join the Kun Fan Week, and I thought about how Kun would make a dope- detective. A friend of mine who was a big KunTen shipper urged me to make a KunTen version, along with WayV members, so I revamped this story to fit the KunTen and WayV dynamics more, changed the setting to Beijing, changed the names and a few background story as well. If you're interested, you can find my Catch Him If You Can - Kunten ver. on Ao3, I've hyperlinked it. 

All in all, this story went through countless drafts, and it went from a couple pages of Ms. Word, to a 30 chaptered 265 pages story (the Jaeri version), and now the KunTen version had 30 chapters with 275 pages! It's such a wild ride, and I don't think I'm capable of writing such a long story anymore in the future, but... who knows!

Anyways, thank you everyone who had read, commented, subscribed, and upvoted on my story, it means a lot to me. If you're up for more JaeRi, Vivre is an arranged marriage story I made back then on 2019, and you can check it out. If you're by chance a Kunten/Johnkun shipper, i posted my M/M stories on my Ao3 and you can find it here

If you want to talk about NCT, Red Velvet, other SM Artists, you can DM me, or hmu on twitter @nauranindyaa!! I'm also up for discussions if you want to talk about forensic stuffs, or medical stuffs. If you happen to write a medical related story, do tell me! I like reading them! Or if you need assistance on reviewing medical stuffs (see if they were right, or if they makes sense), do hit me up as well.

Thank you everyone. I love you! See you.... when I see you!