o18 // prosecutor yoon sangho

catch him if you can
chapter
18
 

Yerim decided she doesn't like this Yoon Sangho guy. She stared at the guy in disdain while he talked to the chief. Chief Kim Joonmyun didn't look too happy about his appearance as well.

"Where's your brother? And why the hell is that bastard here early in the morning?" Doyoung who just arrived asked.

"Jaehyun oppa picked me up this morning. My brother said he had to go somewhere. I'll interrogate him later. He disappeared before I woke up," Yerim sighed.

"And Prosecutor Yoon?"

"It's official. We have to work alongside with his team. Deputy Choi announced it just then. Chief Kim is trying to negotiate but by the look of it I don't think he'll win," Jaehyun sighed.

"I'm going to go down to the morgue, I don't like seeing his face," Yerim snickered.

"Can I go with you?" Jaehyun asked. "Me too!" Doyoung grinned.

It's settled, nobody likes the prosecutor. The two guys followed the blonde girl down into the morgue. Doyoung took the liberty to plop down into her couch immediately. Yerim took a seat across him and Jaehyun chose to sit next to her.

"What are you going to do now?" Doyoung asked.

"Actually, I just want to sulk and escape that man," Yerim grinned sheepishly.

"Let's just use our brain for now. We need a concrete strategy to carry on with our investigation despite having that bastard following closely behind," Jaehyun grunted.

"Agreed. Will he be asking for our progress report?" Yerim asked.

"Most of the time, the prosecution office carries their own investigation. But they don't have forensic staffs so they would ask for your report as well," Doyoung answered.

"Huh? So, they will also bother me?"

"They would only ask for your report. They won't be able to make you explain things or stuff since you're technically working under us."

"Is it allowed if we do not write down our theories and stuffs? I mean, we came up with different kinds of theories and most of them are correct!"

Jaehyun chuckled, "Technically speaking, it is allowed. We could just write down our findings without elaborating our conclusions and leave them up to their imaginations."

"I like the road that we're taking with that. Let's re-organize our report first," Doyoung cackled evilly.

"Let's grab our laptops then, and work down here. I like your office," Jaehyun grinned.

"Suit yourself," Yerim grinned back.

Doyoung volunteered to grab their laptop and delegated Jaehyun to make coffee for them. Sadly, Doyoung got stopped by Youngho who seemingly wanted to brief him with something.

"I'll join you later," Doyoung said to Jaehyun before moving to approach Youngho. "Sup?"

"I talked with the chief. Prosecutor Yoon will come to the office tomorrow. Most likely he will ask for our report. The chief heard from the deputy that they planned on holding a public search for the killer."

"That's ridiculous! They don't even have a killer profile!" Doyoung exclaimed.

"I know. That's why we have to keep that information to ourselves. I normally don't like to be petty, but we might have to now. We need to lower our pride and play dumb. Then, we can play it from there."

Doyoung sighed, "Fine. Jay and I were actually going to work on the report now. Yerim as well." "Good. I'll see you guys in an hour or two. For now, let's keep the eight suspected target names a secret. Chief Kim said he will introduce me to his college friend, a fellow prosecutor, who can help us."

"That sounds nice."

"The chief and I will be meeting him now. I have to go. Take care, yeah?"

"Don't worry, dude," Doyoung clapped the older guy's back and left for the morgue.

___

"Who are we meeting again, Chief?" Youngho asked as he parked their car in front of a cafe.

"Prosecutor Kim. He's a good friend of mine since high school," Chief Kim explained.

Youngho stepped out of the car and locked it before following his chief inside.

"Joonmyun hyung!"

Youngho watched as his chief hugged a taller man.

"Jongin, this is one of my brightest detectives, who also used to be my partner, Youngho."

Youngho instinctively stepped closer and bowed, "Hello, I'm Detective Seo Youngho."

The man grinned and offered his hand, "Prosecutor Kim Jongin."

Youngho politely shook his hand and followed the two older men to sit down.

"So, what has gotten our Chief in trouble?" Jongin asked good-naturedly before sipping his coffee.

"That bastard senior of yours came back to our precinct."

"Bastard seni—Oh! Senior Yoon?"

Joonmyun nodded and Jongin burst into laughter.

"Ah, I get it. Nobody likes that guy, really. He tends to use his connections instead of his brain. What's he's up to now?"

"Youngho and his team is investigating a serial killer murder."

"Ah, I think I've seen it on TV once. The medicine one?"

"Yes, that one. The case has been going on for a few months and we've gotten four bodies so far. It's a tough nut to crack but we've been getting more leads. Suddenly that Yoon tard came saying he wanted to take over the investigation."

Jongin sighed, "That guy, really. Always snitching things off other people's plate. Alright, so what do you need my help for?"

"I need your help to figure out his tactics. He could go on and try to rob this case from us, but we're still carrying on with the investigation, mainly because the murderer here targeted Youngho," Joonmyun said as he patted Youngho's shoulder.

"He targeted you?!"

Youngho nodded at the prosecutor, "Well, yeah. He always sent the body to me and we're still trying to figure out why."

Jongin shook his head in disbelief, looking a bit mortified, "I'll plant something, well, or someone in his office to keep you guys notified. My advice, try not to tell him everything, especially your theories and leads. Let him figure it out by himself. I sincerely hope you can solve this case. If you managed to capture the killer, you can contact me and I'll bring this er to jail. I'll let you guys work alongside with us. I don't like how the police and the prosecutor seemed like they can't work with each other. We just need to respect each other's boundaries."

Youngho nodded. No wonder why his chief likes this man so much. He's wise unlike that Yoon Sangho guy.

___

"Guys! Update!"

Jaehyun looked up from his coffee when Doyoung barged inside Yerim's office with two laptops on his hands.

"I met John."

"And then?"

"He's going out with the Chief to meet one of chief's friends. He told us to rewrite our reports, you know the deal. Yoon Sangho will come tomorrow so we need to work fast."

"Alright. Let's get down to business then," Jaehyun shrugged as he cracked his fingers.

For an hour, the trio worked in silence revising their reports. Erasing leads and theories they came up, leaving only the clues left for Yoon Sangho to figure out by himself.

"I like that we're being petty," Doyoung chuckled as he saved his document.

"Oh, trust me, me too. We can't let him trample on us again," Jaehyun nodded.

"I wondered, what did that man do to you, Doyoung oppa?" Yerim turned to the older guy.

Doyoung sighed, "It happened countless times back when I was still working with Taeyong for Narcs. We were investigating on a drug cartel ring and we even went the extra mile by sending some officers undercover. We had a strong lead and we were so close to finishing it off. But sadly, we took two years to make it all happen. Our chief back then, before Chief Kim, isn't exactly the most patient man on earth. He decided to hand over the case to the prosecution office. Yoon Sangho isn't a clean prosecutor. He resorted to bribery and somehow, he got more leads in two weeks than we ever did in two years. He closed off the case and got all the credit."

"That's mean."

"I know, and he's done it several times. We don't know how many connections he has. We need to move stealthily and avoid him at all cost. With this case, your brother is directly involved. We need to protect him and help him."

Yerim nodded, "Thank you for being so kind to my brother."

"Who's being kind to me?"

Yerim whipped her head in shock and grinned when she saw her brother leaning against her door.

"Oppa!"

Youngho grinned and sat across her. "The reports are done?"

"Yeah, have a look," Doyoung pushed his laptop towards him.

Youngho scanned the document and grinned, "Nice."

"So, who were you meeting with, John?"

"Ah, that. It's Chief's friend back from high school. Prosecutor Kim Jongin."

"A prosecutor?"

"He worked in the same office as Yoon Sangho. He agreed on keeping us notified about Yoon's progress. He's willing to spy for us. And when we wrapped up this case, he said he would work for us too."

"That's good to hear. So, what do we do now?"

"He advised that we keep a lot of things to ourselves. Telling the Chief is okay, but not the deputy. That man seemed like he's well connected to Yoon Sangho."

"Alright, duly noted."

"Okay, since we're all depressed and stuff, let's go grab lunch together. Katie, still craving for the tacos?"

"Yes, please!"

___

"Greetings, detectives! Or should I say, work partners?"

Jaehyun wished he was Yerim and he could lock himself up in the morgue. It's so much better to be with the dead instead of this nasty prosecutor.

"Let's get this over quick," Youngho sighed.

Prosecutor Yoon Sangho had a wide smile as his voice boomed, instructing his subordinates to gather documents from the three sulking detectives. Jaehyun handed his report to a man and watched as Doyoung begrudgingly held onto his own.

"Let's make it quick, I can't handle looking at his face," Youngho told his childish friend.

Doyoung sulked as he handed his folder over.

"Hmm... Isn't it a bit… too lacking? We've got four bodies, aren't we?" Prosecutor Yoon sneered as he flipped through a folder.

"Well, that's all we got," Jaehyun shrugged nonchalantly as he opened up Minesweeper on his PC. Maybe playing a game of luck with virtual mine explosions will make time go faster.

"Are you guys perhaps hiding any information from me? Oh please, don't be petty! Standing in the way of investigations could land you a place in jail, detectives."

"Gosh, could you please hand your boss a mirror or something? He seriously needs to take a look at himself first," Doyoung snickered to one of Yoon Sangho's juniors who winced in reply.

"Why would we hide anything from you, Prosecutor Yoon? Those are information that we managed to dig in a span of four months with very limited evidence," Youngho stood up.

"That's quite little. No wonder this case is going nowhere. I think it's better if the prosecution office takes over. We'll wrap this up nicely and leave some credits to you guys, don't worry," Prosecutor Yoon said before blowing into laughter.

"Whatever floats your boat," Youngho rolled his eyes as he left the scene, probably off to rant to their Chief who seemingly just lock himself in his office so he wouldn't have to face the cursed Prosecutor. The two remaining detectives watched as the team of prosecutors sauntered off, probably going to see the Deputy.

"I'm going to grab some coffee. 5 minutes with the devil already drained my energy off," Doyoung sighed.

"Suit yourself. I've had my caffeine intake this morning," Jaehyun brushed Doyoung off without looking away from his computer. He groaned though because he landed on a mine shortly after. He stretched his back and stood up, feeling bored. With the prosecution office taking over, they couldn't work as freely as they did before and investigation had to be carried out modestly. So, for now, he had nothing to do. He supposed he could go downstairs to the basement and bug Yerim out. That woman is a nice form of entertainment for him.

Meanwhile, the said woman is lounging in her office, reading one of the Conan comics she stole from Jaehyun's desk when she heard the front door opening. Dr. Do is not set to come back until the end of next month so who is it?

"Jaehyun oppa is that you?" She called out. The only person who was brave and willing enough to go to the morgue is usually him. Even her brother refrained from going to the morgue most of the time.

"Ah, sadly I'm not Detective Jung, Dr. Kim."

Yerim flinched and stood up, straightening up her white coat. Right in front of her is the man that her brother and his friends hate with a burning passion, Prosecutor Yoon Sangho.

"How may I help you? It's flattering to see you go down to my humble morgue," Yerim spoke up.

"Ah, we realized your forensic reports are not in the document that the detectives gave out to us."

Yerim raised a brow, "I'm pretty sure my brother and his friends already included my testimony and Dr. Do's on their reports."

"Well, we would like a more detailed report then, Dr. Kim," Prosecutor Yoon stepped closer with a grin.

Yerim stepped back, clearly not liking being in close proximity with the man. She rummaged her drawers and took out a folder containing 4 reports regarding the four bodies.

"2 of them were made by Dr. Do. He's not here and won't be here for quite some time though."

Prosecutor Yoon shrugged and opened up the folder. He took out one report and scanned it briefly. "Is this all?"

"What else do you want? Us forensics are only tasked with examining and reporting it back in details. You want the conclusion on the cause of death? It's all in the report already," Yerim snickered as she folded her arms.

Prosecutor Yoon raised his brows and grinned, "You're a feisty little one, aren't you, Dr. Kim? Just like your step brother."

Yerim rolled her eyes at his remark. Normally, shed correct people by saying that she's his half-sister, not step sister, but she didn't want to waste her energy at someone as insignificant as this damned prosecutor.

"I wondered why the Chief speaks very highly of you. You were a star forensic doctor from Jongno and was brought here to help solve this case. Reading this report, it all sounded like a normal visum to me. Nothing special."

"What would you like to add, then? I'm just following the standard procedures. The detectives had no problems with my report and they found it useful," Yerim shrugged.

"It doesn't reveal that much, Dr. Kim. Sorry if I hurt your pride," Prosecutor Yoon cackled condescendingly.

"Excuse me? Well, if you're really a notable prosecutor with brilliant investigating qualities, then you wouldn't have trouble deciphering my reports, won't you? Those three detectives managed to put two and two together, meanwhile you ...Well, didn’t that make them more qualified to solve this case then?" Yerim barked, her voice going up a level higher due to anger.

Jaehyun who was just entering the morgue frowned when he heard a sudden commotion. He never heard Yerim shouted like that.

"Yerim?" He quickly ran into her office, groaning inside when he saw Prosecutor Yoon cornering Yerim in her own office. Jaehyun quickly strode to her and stood straight in front of her, covering her from Prosecutor Yoon condescending glares.

"Fancy seeing you here, Detective Jung."

"What do you want down here, Prosecutor Yoon? I see you've gotten the reports from our kind Dr. Kim," Jaehyun raised a brow.

"I was just about to leave anyways. Tell this little tigress here to learn not to get worked up quickly. She's turning into her brother in no time, all bark and no bite," Prosecutor Yoon grinned menacingly before giving them a salute and walked out of the morgue.

"Yerim, are you okay? What did he do to you?" Jaehyun turned around immediately and checked her face. She looks agitated, angry, frustrated and Jaehyun knew she was provoked in one way or another before he came. Her body language shows it all. It doesn't take much of his behavioral analysing skill to figure out so.

"I'm fine, oppa. He's just… Ugh! Infuriating!" She groaned before plopping face first into her couch.

Jaehyun carefully sat down next to her and patted her head, "Now you know why your brother hates him. I'm sorry you have to face him like that. I hope there will be no next time of meeting him again."

Yerim nodded and lifted her head. "Are we jobless now?"

Jaehyun laughed at her remark and tidied up her messed-up hair instead of answering right away.

"For a day or two, yes. Your brother is still coordinating things with the chief and his prosecutor friend. We'll try to keep our hands inside this case no matter what."

Yerim sighed and nodded.

"Do you want to get out of here?" Jaehyun grinned. 

Yerim stared at his dimple and suppressed the urge to poke them before diverting her gaze back to his eyes, "Huh?"

"Let's go somewhere and get Prosecutor Yoon's face out of your brain."

Yerim grinned, "Are we ditching my brother and Doyoung oppa?"

"That's what I thought," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Call!"  

 
notes

i'm... uh... back? i'm vvv busy with my online clinical rotation so i'm deeply sorry for the slow updates TT TT

also, RV seulrene debuted with monster and it's a huge bop so please support it!! i liked it so much that i decided to memorized the whole choreography! it was so much fun!!!

thx for reading commenting subscribing upvoting or simply scanning through the update!

xo, btfg