o23 // attraction

catch him if you can

 

chapter
23
 

"Call me up if you need anything," Jaehyun grinned as he left the morgue.

Yerim waved at the guy before sitting at her desk. The boys are off to interview Seol Hari and she decided she didn't have the strength to face the woman again so she decided to stay at the morgue.

"What shall we do today, hmm?" She mused to herself as she took out a piece of paper and a pen. She could put her brain to good use and start figuring out things.

"24 years old, Shin Yunho, Bisoprolol…" she started as she wrote down the victims' identity.

 

26 years old. Sung Yoonhye. Captopril.

28 years old. Son Yiho. Midazolam.

30 years old. Shim Yonghee. Alteplase.

32 years old. Seol Yehwa. Miconazole.

 

It's a weird combination of drugs. Only the age pattern makes sense. What else could be the pattern? The date pattern was clearly ruined. Seol Yehwa was supposed to be murdered on July 4th and her body was supposed to come one July 6th but June's barely ended and she was already sent to the precinct. Yerim pondered about the note that the killer left for her brother for hours basically. The man clearly asked her brother to find him. It was almost like he was taunting them. Luring them to come find him while he hides away, far from their reach. It always felt like this. It seems like they had a great clue but actually, they were still far off.

Yerim stared deeply into the writing before her. What else could be a pattern? Could it be….the—

"Yerim?"

Yerim shoved away the paper in surprise and turned to see Jaehyun leaning against her door frame.

“O-oh! Oppa!” she squeaked.

"It's almost half past nine. Let's go home."

"It’s half past nine already? Where's my brother?" She asked.

"Meeting Prosecutor Kim. Come on, let's go. Even Doyoung had already gone home."

"Umm… you can go ahead first. I’ll just take a cab or something. I don't feel like going home, yet," she admitted sheepishly.

"Huh? But it's late. It’s not safe."

"I…."

Jaehyun blinked and looked at her face. "Well... Want some patbingsu? Let's cool down our head after everything that has happened these past few days. After that, I’ll drive you home," Jaehyun suggested.

It didn't take too much to analyze her expression. She was suffocated. Frustrated. Jaehyun could see those clearly. The least that Jaehyun can do was cheer the girl up.

"We can?"

"Of course, I know a good place. Come, let’s go."

___

"Prosecutor Kim," Youngho bowed politely before sitting across the man.

"Detective Seo," Prosecutor Kim Jongin smiled as he pushed the cup of coffee towards Youngho which the man accepts gratefully.

"Why do you want to see me? Is it regarding Prosecutor Yoon?" Youngho asked.

"Yeah, about that…"

"What's with that guy again? He came to our precinct demanding for our reports since a new body just came," Youngho sighed.

"Regarding him… I've told you before that he was aiming for a promotion, right?"

"Yeah. What about it?"

"Well, it is rumored that he's aiming at the position of the district attorney."

"The dis—what?! God, that guy really has no shame! DA? Did the higher ups actually approved of this?!" Youngho balked at the incredulous piece of information.

"You know he had very...vast connections. People had been talking that if he managed to solve this case, the position is guaranteed to be his. That's why he's been very hard on his subordinates. A lot of his staff were already tired of him, that's why I got so many tips when the workers gossiped among themselves," Prosecutor Kim shrugged.

"And that's why he's been bothering us. He must've been so fired up to be the DA." "Yeah, and knowing him, that's where things will go awry. He'd do anything to be the DA, Detective Seo. He'd go to so many distance to get there. He'll do anything. Heck, there are chances that he will even fabricate evidence if he's meeting a dead end."

"That's not good," Youngho frowned.

"I know. That's why. Prosecutor Yoon had a look on the CCTV footage that showed a guy sending the package on the parking lot. He's going to conduct a public search with that solely."

"Public search?! That guy…" Youngho sighed.

"Crazy, I know. I heard that he had figured out the killing pattern. Something about the date where the body came in and also something about the victims coming from America."

"He's not wrong. But there are other clues that he missed."

"It's assuring to know you're a few steps ahead of him. Make sure everything that you found out stay within your team, okay?" Prosecutor Kim patted Youngho's shoulder good-naturedly and Youngho could only smile weakly.

Things aren't going to the direction he liked. There's a dark nagging feeling that bugged him constantly and he could only hope it was just a mere feeling. But he should've known better, because Detective Seo Youngho was known for having the best gut feeling in the whole precinct.

___

"Is this the place?" Yerim looked up and Jaehyun grinned as he opened the glass door.

"After you," he shrugged. Yerim grinned as she entered the place with him following closely behind.

"Which one do you want?" Jaehyun asked as Yerim inspected the menu board.

"Hmm… the classic one? With red beans and injeolmi?"

"Sure. Let's share that."

Jaehyun paid for the order and brought the table number as Yerim picked a seat near the window.

"The first time I came to Korea, was when I was 10. For summer vacation, if I’m not mistaken. The first thing my parents bought for me was patbingsu. It was a thrilling experience for me since I spent all of my early life in the States," Jaehyun grinned.

"I was born and raised in the States too. I first came to Korea when I was like 8 or 9, and I didn't return until college and that's also because Johnny oppa stayed here."

"I like Korea. I mean, the States are lovely, but Korea is different in its own way," Jaehyun mused.

"I agree. I mean, it's a good mixture of traditional and modern. The foods are great. A lot of delivery services which I highly appreciated," Yerim grinned.

"The transportation too, man, Seoul subway is much better than the one in NYC. I lived in NYC for a few months when I was in middle school because of my father's job and, phew. The subway station…"

"Awful, yes. I've heard about it," Yerim laughed. They stopped talking for a while when the waitress came with their order.

"This looked great, I haven't had a decent patbingsu in years," Yerim beamed.

"I've been here once, Doyoung's birthday. I know it's good, that's why I brought you here," Jaehyun shrugged as he passed a spoon towards Yerim.

Yerim took a spoonful of the shaved ice, beaming at the sweet taste. "Wow, it's so good!"

Jaehyun grinned, happy that he got to make her feel happy over something as trivial as shaved ice.

"I feel like my brain finally cool down after being overheated with a lot of thinking these past few days," Yerim giggled as she took another spoonful.

"Eat up then," Jaehyun smiled softly.

"You too! Have some!" Yerim took a spoon from the plastic box near her and gave one to him.

Jaehyun began to dig in, agreeing with her completely. The cold ice definitely cools him down.

"You look like you need the cooling down more than me," Yerim said teasingly.

"I do need to cool down my head a little. It's getting a bit stressful," Jaehyun confessed before taking a spoonful of the dessert.

"A penny for your thoughts?"

Jaehyun smiled wryly, "It's just… I don't feel like I'm helping enough."

"Eyyy, what do you mean?!"

"I don't know… I just feel like I could've done a lot more. And I felt guilty that I failed to catch the culprit."

Yerim took his free hand and squeezed it, catching him off guard. "Hey, you've helped the team tremendously, oppa. And you've done your best on trying to capture our killer. You even injured yourself. You've done your very best. We all have done our best."

"Well…"

"You're the only one who can analyze behavior and stuffs. And your ability helped us a lot. Without you we wouldn't possibly went this far, oppa."

Jaehyun smiled softly at the girl who was passionately talking before him. She's pretty but she's prettier when she looked determined like this. It might seem crazy but he's positive he had a crush on her. There’s no need to be in denial about it. Jaehyun is someone who’s always sure about his feelings, and he’s pretty sure he’s very much attracted at the woman sitting across him. Like, what's there not to like about Yerim?

She's very kind hearted. She's very smart and passionate about her work. She's very pretty, sometimes cute, but always a ball of fiery sunshine.

Jaehyun shook off the thoughts and smiled. Sadly, Yerim is off-limit. She's Johnny's sister. He'll possibly kill him for dating his sister. Maybe he'll tell her later, after they wrapped up this ed up case. If he’s lucky, maybe she’ll consider him. If he’s super lucky, maybe Johnny won’t chop his head off for being interested in his sister. But later, not now. Now, he has no time to be all sappy and in love like this. There’s a killer on the loose, waiting to be captured.

"You know, oppa," Yerim spoke up suddenly.

"Yeah?" "I hope Seol Yehwa is the last body. I can't handle dissecting another body knowing that it's related to my brother," Yerim sighed.

"We hope so, Rim. It must've been very hard on you. But you have done a very great job as our new forensic doctor. You helped us a lot. I really hope you will permanently stay in the precinct. You're really a wonderful addition for our team," Jaehyun smiled.

"Well, I'm flattered. You're too nice, oppa! It must've felt great to be your girlfriend, you shower people compliments all the time!"

Jaehyun blushed and brushed her off, "Aish, it's nothing. I was just stating the truth."

"But really, now you got me thinking. You're handsome and tall, and definitely smart, you're also very kind and polite. Why are you still single? I thought a lot of female officers must've gone crazy for you. You're quite the looker, you know," Yerim said casually as she picked an injeolmi from their patbingsu bowl.

"I think it's because I came out as someone closed off? I mean, I'm quite shy, and my Korean is not that good. That's probably why no one is really interested in me," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Huh? You're kidding me!"

Jaehyun laughed and shook his head, "Girls like Doyoung more since he's outgoing and fun to be with. Lots of girls also like your brother since he's very charming."

"You're charming too, though?" Yerim blinked her eyes.

"What about you? You're also very charming. Why are you still single, then?" Jaehyun retorted back playfully.

Yerim sighed, "I think it's because of my job. I deal with dead bodies all the time. I cut corpses open, for crying out loud! Guys are generally terrified of me. I don't think they can handle a girlfriend with a…. Hardcore occupation like me."

"Why though? I think it's cool. You're super cool. Guys who can't handle you is probably too weak."

Yerim laughed, "Are all boys weak then for not approaching me?"

Jaehyun grinned, "I'm not weak," he hinted playfully.

Yerim rolled her eyes as blush rose up her cheeks, "Shut up."

___

"We're here," Jaehyun informed as his car stopped in front of her house.

"See you tomorrow!" Yerim said as she exited the car.

Jaehyun followed suit and grinned, "Sure. I'll come for breakfast like always."

"Great!" Yerim beamed.

"Anyways... Yerim.."

"Yeah?"

Jaehyun rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. God, he felt silly for asking this. But, screw it. "Can I… Can I get a hug?"

Yerim smiled softly at his troubled expression, "Were you having a hard time lately?"

Jaehyun nodded slowly.

"Come here then!" Yerim opened her arms wide and he shyly wrapped his arms around her who hugged him back tightly. He felt the weight on his shoulders dissipating slowly as Yerim rubbed his back soothingly.

"Fighting to us! We can do this!" She giggled as she patted his back.

"Thanks, it helped with my nerves," Jaehyun said as they parted.

"I'm glad I'm helpful. Well, it's late. You should hurry home. Come for breakfast again tomorrow. My parents had taken a liking on you and would love to adopt you in exchange of my brother," Yerim grinned.

Jaehyun laughed, "I'm glad I left a good impression. Alright, I'll go home now. Head inside, it's cold," he said as he ushered her to go in.

Yerim waved cheekily as she walked inside the house. She hummed lightly as she took off her shoes by the doorstep.

"Are you dating him?"

Yerim shrieked when she turned and found herself face to face with her mother.

"Eomma! You scared me!" She said as she dramatically clutched at her chest.

Her mother rolled her eyes, "I was here all the time, tidying our coat rack. You were just too busy smiling like an idiot in love."

Yerim grumbled as she changed into a pair of house slippers.

"Seriously though, are you dating him?"

Yerim groaned, "Ah, noooo, eomma!"

"Why not? He's very polite and kind! I like him for you! And your father likes him too, and he's also your brother's best friend so I know he's a good person."

"Eomma, he's oppa's friend. He's off-limit, okay?"

"Well, why? I really like him. He's going to make a wonderful son in law. He's smart, he's handsome, and he has a good heart. Goodness, your children will be blessed by having his genes!" Her mother squealed and Yerim balked.

"Eomma! What in the world…"

Her mother giggled, "You suited him a lot. He's also from the States. The two of you have something in common. Try giving him a chance."

"Oh, God, I'm not discussing this with you!" Yerim stormed off and tried to ignore her mother's boisterous laugh.

She entered her bedroom and head straight to the shower. After finishing her night routine, she laid on her bed and she pondered about what her mother said. Indeed, Jung Jaehyun is a very fine specimen. His visual level is out of the world. He's a genius and highly observant. He's super kind and patient and charming and Yerim could spent hours thinking about his positive traits. Did she have a crush on him? Probably. Like, who doesn't? Anyone with good eyes will like that guy. She felt like a high school girl all over again thinking of how awfully close they have been lately with him joining her family for breakfast, and becoming her personal chauffeur.

So, did she like him? Most probably yes. But should she be with him? Probably, no. Her brother is going to kill them both. Yerim quickly shook her head. Her crush for him is getting harder to control nowadays.

Cut it, Kim Yerim!

 
notes

hello! i'm.... back? have you all heard the tracks from resonance? i'm so pumped up for nct2020! make a wish and from home we soooo good!

my favorite track is dancing in the rain because i like ~jazzy~ stuffs ((and it was composed by Andreas Oberg, one of my favorite composers! AAND JAEHYUN HELPED WROTE THE LYRICS!!!))

my second fav is Nectar by WayV, it has a huge like mid-2000s vibe to it so I love it a lot.

 

what about u guys? and what do u think about the story so far? :))

 

xo, btfg