o3 // son yiho

catch him if you can
chapter
03
 

Yerim ran back from the CSI office with a bright smile.

"Dr. Do! There were residues of Midazolam in the stomach and the intestines. It was indeed ingested tablets!"

Dr. Do smiled. "That's a great lead. Other than the Midazolam and accidents wound, there were no resistance signs, right?"

"Not that I know of, sunbae-nim. There were no grabbing marks, strangulation marks, and no trace of inhaled sedatives."

"The victim fall because of the Midazolam itself; I think. Which made me curious, did he really suffer from insomnia? How could he take such great number of drugs without noticing?"

"That I'm wondering too. Shall I help you finishing the report? I'll have to show it to my brother."

"Yes, yes. I'm halfway down. Let's finish it together."

Yerim worked in silence alongside Dr. Do. There weren't any specific findings aside from the wounds and the midazolam trace, so they finished the report quickly.

"It's lunch time. I usually go out for lunch. You want to go to your brother, right?" Dr. Do said as he packed up his things.

"If I may."

"Of course. Go ahead. Wow, it's nice to have a work partner for once. After Dr. Park left, I have to handle the two previous bodies by myself. Wasn't my favorite thing in the world," he grimaced.

Yerim laughed, "In the previous precinct, there were rarely any bodies. I was bored all the time."

Dr. Do smiled, "Alright. I'll go ahead first."

Yerim bowed and bid him goodbye before gathering the written reports. She took the elevator up, finding her brother on his desk immediately. He stood out with his great height. She noticed Detective Jung Jaehyun (or was it Jay? She's confused of his true name) next to her brother's, and Detective Kim Doyoung's desk on the corner next to Detective Jung. All three guys were looking down on whatever their desk, looking depressed.

"Uhm, hello? I've got the report?" She cleared , catching the attention of the three detectives all at once.

"Oh, Katie Kat! Great!" Youngho said in relief. He'd been stuck in probabilities while waiting for the forensic report.

"Can we discuss this over lunch? I'm starving. Should we order tangsuyuk? Eat in the meeting room?" Doyoung piped.

"Sure," Jaehyun replied coolly.

"How was it?" Youngho turned to his sister as they waited for Doyoung to order.

"It was fun! I barely had bodies to dissect in Jongno. Dr. Do is cool. I went to the CSI and met these eccentric twins," she said.

Youngho smiled, "Good then. I was worried you'll find difficulties fitting in. And this case is the worst too."

"Is this the reason you've been going to your apartment more rather than home? Eomma and appa are always worried you know," Yerim asked.

"The apartment's closer to the precinct. But now that you work here, I should consider going back home so I could give you a lift, right?" Youngho grinned.

"Nice one. The subway heading here is way too packed for my liking," Yerim grimaced.

Jaehyun smiled as he observed the two of them.

"Jay, I know you're observing. Stop it," Youngho groaned without turning back, as if he knew what his friend is doing.

"Huh?"

"Jay's a behavior analyst. Be wary around him, he'll always study people," Youngho rolled his eyes while Yerim beamed.

"That's cool!"

Jaehyun grinned, "Now someone finally admired my talent."

"Alright, Katie Kat, before we feed his ego further, let's just feed ourselves because I can see Doyoung getting back with food. And let's get down to the case," Youngho said as he stood up.

The four people found themselves back in the meeting room, eating tangsuyuk while casually asking the siblings question.

"So, John, are you jealous when Yerim was born?" Doyoung asked.

"I don't know, I don't really remember. I mean, I knew my birth parents separate ways, and then my mother married this guy who was nice, and I called him uncle. We moved to the States, and then she had a baby which was her, and after Yerim was like 2? Or 3? I started calling her father my father too. But I don't think I was jealous. More like… fascinated? Like I suddenly had a father and a sister," Youngho shrugged.

"Was he a cool brother?"

"Eh, he's pretty cool. We're really close since we're like the only Korean in the neighborhood so I don't have any other Korean friend aside from my own brother. I always thought he was like my real blood brother until he was in middle school and there was like a family show and tell thing and he said that he's not my father real son. It was weird," Yerim shuddered. She remembered crying and not believing that Youngho wasn't fully her blood brother.

"You guys are really close," Jaehyun nodded.

"We have to. One of the reasons we moved back to Korea was because he's suddenly interested in joining the police academy after his enlistment. I was still in high school at the time. And then I decided to go to a Korean university and study here so I would be with him. And our parents sort of followed suit," Yerim nodded as she wiped .

"So, how was Johnny as a teen? Emo? Or weird?" Doyoung grinned.

"Oh, so they called you Johnny here, huh?" Yerim threw her brother a look and he shrugged.

"He's that one weird confident kid. But he's fun and good at sports so everyone kind of caved in. Anyways, it's weird to hear people calling you Johnny here," she smiled.

"He always confuses his own identity back in the academy. Sometimes he's John Seo, sometimes he's Seo Youngho," Jaehyun laughed.

"It's quite hard to adjust. I mean you have troubles too, right? The problem.is my friends here chose to stick to that name instead of sensitizing me by calling me Youngho," Youngho rolled his eyes.

"So, what's your English name? That Katie Kat?" Doyoung asked, feeling the name foreign.

"Nah, that's just a nickname oppa has for me. It's Katherine. But people called me Katie for short. And he called me Katie Kat," Yerim shrugged.

"Want to know something? He's Jeffrey," Youngho said mockingly as he pointed his chopsticks towards Jaehyun whose ear tips turned red immediately.

"Jeffrey? Oh, you're from abroad too?"

"His parents are still in Fresco. Unlike us, he doesn't even have a Korean name. Funny, huh?"

"Oh, so Jaehyun?"

"My mother randomly made it for me before I went back. My pronunciation is a bit off so I resorted to Jay most of the time. And Jeffrey is quite difficult to be pronounced by Korean people so yeah. Jung Jay," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Where do you guys meet?" Yerim asked curiously. She's already full but the three guys are still eating.

"Police academy. Jay and I entered in the same year even though I'm the oldest, and we're always together ever since. Doyoung joined this precinct two years ago, but he was originally teamed with Taeyong. After Jungwoo joined six months ago, Doyoung was moved to our team. And we need all the help we can get with the situation of the current Medicine murder," Youngho answered.

"Must've been fun working together. Anyways? You guys aren't done eating still? Wow, boys. You know what? I'll go read the report and you guys can continue your fist," Yerim shrugged.

"Right. Shoot on."

"Uhmm, so like I said on the phone earlier this day, according to the examination I conducted with Dr. Do, the cause of death seemingly was car accidents. Victim had a blunt trauma on his head, probably due to slamming his head to the steering wheel. There's the seatbelt sign on his front, and he had bruised chest. Possibly because of the airbag inflating. There are tons of glass shards as well. There was no resistance mark, no strangulation as well."

"So, he most likely drove on his own accord," Jaehyun nodded.

"Maybe. And then I said on the phone that we found Midazolam on his system, which is a kind of sedative. It could be used for several things like for insomnia medication and even anesthesia. I sent his GIT sample to the CSI and found traces there. So, it's probably ingested Midazolam tablets, which are mainly used for chronic insomnia."

"The patient identity according to CSI was Son Yiho, a 28 years old male. I called several hospitals in this area and none of them had his medical record. He's most likely a healthy man. Is it possible to acquired Midazolam without prescription?" Youngho asked as he stood up. He finished eating and walked to the board to start jotting down information.

"No. Midazolam is quite potent and strong. You cannot get it without a doctor's prescription. Is he from Yongdeungpo?" Yerim asked.

"Yeah. His ID stated so. But he had no medical records from nearby hospitals," Doyoung added.

"It's getting clearer that whoever sick bastard is it, has a medical degree that allowed him to give direct medicines to his victims," Youngho groaned.

"It's weird though. How could he give a sedative to someone willingly? When I opened up the stomach and gut, it was empty. Meaning the victim had nothing to eat within 6 to 8 hours before his death," Yerim asked.

"Is it possible to dilute it in water?" Jaehyun asked.

"Maybe, but it will show. They're blue in color. From CSI findings, there was a high trace of Midazolam in his system. Normally people take around 7,5 until 15 grams of it once daily, but CSI predicted that there are over 25 grams of it. No water will taste good with two tablets of crushed up drug," Yerim reasoned.

"Ugh, we kept going on a stupid loop," Doyoung groaned.

Yerim glanced at the board, feeling fascinated by the kind of work his brother did.

"Maybe we can work in his pattern fist. So, a body once a month," Jaehyun drag a new board and start writing.

"Okay. So, we have to work fast to avoid a new body next month. Just great. What other pattern?" Youngho sighed.

"The medicine patterns?" Doyoung asked.

"It's inconsistent. The first two are medications for like the heart, right?" Jaehyun turned towards Yerim.

"Ah yes. Bisoprolol and Captopril can be used for angina, infarct, and hypertension medication."

"So, two CVS drugs, and one sedative. That can hardly become a pattern," Youngho muttered.

"Maybe the decaying pattern? I checked out the two other bodies and learned Dr. Do's reports. The first body came after 6 days, the second one after 5 days, and the current body came after 4 days of death. That's like… a pattern, right?" Yerim piped.

"Oh, that's true. So.. the next body, hopefully not, will come in a month, 3 days after the death?" Jaehyun mused.

"How about the date they came in?" Yerim asked.

"The first body came on March second. The second one on April third…"

"This one came on May fourth! That's a mathematical pattern!" Youngho balked.

"The number of the month subtracted by one, equals the date. So next month, on June fifth, a body will come 3 days after death. Supposedly, the murder should take place in June second," Yerim concluded.

"We need to stop this cycle. I can't deal with another body addressed to me," Youngho groaned.

"Try thinking about it, John. Have you made any enemy in life?" Jaehyun asked.

"Not that I'm aware of. And if someone hates me, then it's probably the murderers I convicted. But most of them are on death parole or rotting in jail, so how come?"

"Any of them involved in gangs?" Doyoung asked.

Both Youngho and Jaehyun tried to recall their previous cases before shaking their head. "No. There's hardly any gang in this district. The KNPA is located here, only fools would set up a gang here," Youngho said.

"Maybe alliances? But I don't know, those usually happened in movies," Yerim shrugged.

"I don't know. It's stressing me out," Youngho groaned.

Yerim patted her brother's back sympathetically. "Anyways, are the victims related to each other?" Yerim piped up.

"We don't think so. We issued warrants but nothing in particular connected the first two victims. We're processing a warrant for this victim. We'll go for investigations to the victim's closest relations as well," Jaehyun explained.

"Can you bring me to the victim's place? I've always been curious on how detectives work," Yerim grinned.

"Yah, this isn't some field trip, Kim Yerim. I'm not babysitting you," Youngho knocked her head.

"But I have photographic memory! I might catch on things you don't, and remembered details that pictures can't capture!" She reasoned.

"You have photographic memory?!" Doyoung exclaimed.

Yerim nodded innocently.

"Really? I thought it was just in movies," Doyoung gaped.

"I still remember every little detail in the lead board you showed me. I can still even remember the details in Chief Kim's office," she shrugged.

"Tell me then, what was the painting in Chief Kim's office?" Doyoung asked challengingly.

"Wow, Kim Doyoung, are you underestimating my sister? She's really no joke you know. Yah, Katie, show him," Youngho grinned.

"Which painting, Detective Kim? There were two. One on the wall behind his desk, and one near the window. The one behind his desk is… I think that's a crane. And the one near his window is some abstract colorful painting," Yerim shrugged victoriously, exchanging fist bumps with Youngho when she saw Doyoung's shocked expression.

"We already have one observant kid in this team, now we're having another one?" Doyoung balked.

"Observant kid?"

"Jay's a behavior analyst, remember? You might remember a person's clothing and appearance, but Jay could guess the person's behavior and remember it well. Having both of you in this team could highly benefit this case," Youngho smiled.

Just then the door was knocked, revealing a police officer in his uniform.

"Detective Seo."

"Oh, Officer Na. Have you got it?"

The man nodded. "There were 3 identified car accidents occurring in Yongdeungpo area. Details regarding them are all in this folder. About victims of the accident… I'm still working on it. About the warrant, we have issued it but they said we can obtain it tomorrow morning," The man reported.

"The victim's phone and bank account?" Jaehyun stood up.

"Jeno is still working on it. It'll be done shortly. That is all."

"Alright, thank you so much, Officer Na. You may go back," Youngho patted the man's shoulder before going back to the meeting table.

"Today's May fourth and the body was predicted to be found on April 30th then?" Jaehyun asked.

"Yes. There were 3 car accidents. One of them happened on April 30th. That one must be it," Youngho nodded to himself as he examined the document in front of him.

"Where is it?"

"Yangpyeong-il-dong. It happened late at night, in a quiet neighborhood. When police arrived, they found the car and an injured man. But not our victim."

"Huh, that's weird?"

"I know. We can go see the man tomorrow. Jaemin is looking it up."

"Okay. Today, shall we create an agenda for tomorrow then?"

"Go ahead, the three of you. I want to examine the three bodies again," Yerim stood up.

"Alright. I'll go home with you, I haven't seen eomma and appa for a while. Call me if you're done," Youngho waved at her.

She gave him a thumbs up before closing the door.

"You're very close with her," Jaehyun smiled when she left.

"Huh? Of course. She was born when I was four, and I've spent 30 years being her brother. We might not have the same father, but her father considered me his own son so it doesn't feel like we're only half-siblings," Youngho smiled.

"She doesn't look like you at all. It's quite cute," Doyoung grinned.

"I think it's because I resembled my birth father a lot. If you see my mother, she looked exactly like her. Yerim also had her father's eyes," Youngho shrugged.

"I guess so. Alright, so tomorrow's agenda?"

"We can go to interview the injured man first. After that we'll search up the victim's place?"

"Good. Are we bringing Yerim?" Jaehyun asked back.

"We should. She's quite funny, she'll keep us entertained. It gets boring going with you two," Doyoung sighed before yelping when Youngho smacked the back of his head with the folder.

"Well it's true!" "

 
notes

whelps hello guys! here's chapter 3, a whopping 2.7k~ish words it is! i started re-writing this story after getting my laptop back. yes, i lost every single data inside it but well, here i am again! i've reached chapter 10, it's a bit sad since i've originally written like 27 chapters :( lesson learned, back up your files to google drive or dropbox! but anyways, here's chapter 3 and they're starting to work together as a team. please look forward to their dynamic as work partners and friends as the story unfolds. cheers!