o22 // seol yehwa

catch him if you can

 

chapter
22
 

Yerim stitched the body of Seol Yehwa back since Jaehyun called her earlier that Seol Hari will be here to see the body. She sighed as she covered the body. She had conducted a thorough exam and had sent all possible samples to the CSI. She just needs to go and fetch the results and then she could help the boys analyze it.

"Yerim, hey."

She turned back to see Jaehyun with a bunch of documents in his hands.

"I got the results from the CSI. Anyways, Seol Hari will be coming here soon with your brother. Are you done?"

"Oh, you’ve got the results? I was just about to go get them myself. Thanks. And yeah, I've closed up the body," she answered softly.

"Are you okay?" Jaehyun asked carefully. He could see the woman seemed a little down and dejected.

"It's just… it's weird. Seol Yehwa? It's so random. Why is it suddenly her? Poor woman," Yerim sighed.

"We'll try to understand the killer's point of view, okay? Look, your brother and Seol Hari is here," Jaehyun patted her back.

Yerim nodded and took a deep breath as she watched a woman barged into the morgue hysterically.

"Unnie! Unnie!"

Yerim clenched her eyes shut and hesitantly opened the green cloth that covered the body and the woman, Seol Hari weeped loudly.

"You said I was the potential target! Not her! Why’d you guys lie?! Oh, my poor unnie.." Seol Hari wailed, pointing her finger at Jaehyun and Yerim who flinched immediately.

Yerim felt Jaehyun curling his fingers around her arm, pulling her to his side.

"I'm sorry, Miss Seol. We also don't know why the killer suddenly attacked your cousin. We promised we'll look into it," Youngho answered solemnly.

Yerim shook her head and excused herself as she went to her office. Seeing Seol Hari was too much to take in. Jaehyun glanced at his team leader who looked a bit overwhelmed himself. Youngho jutted his lips towards her leaving sister.

Go, he mouthed.

Jaehyun nodded and walked briskly to Yerim's office. He knocked on the door frame twice before letting himself in. Yerim was sitting slumped on her couch, with her hands covering her face. Jaehyun softly closed the door and sat next to her.

"It's okay, I'm sorry you're the only one who remembered Seol Yehwa and had to handle the emotional burden alone.”

Yerim weakly shook her head, "No, no. I'm sorry for being unprofessional. But it's just... I don't know," she groaned.

Jaehyun patted her arm softly.

"It’s just that… What Seol Hari said really struck a chord with me. I mean, she was supposed to be the target, so why did her innocent cousin become the victim?"

"We also don't know about that. We'll figure it out, Yerim. We always did with the past four victims, right?" Jaehyun said reassuringly.

Yerim nodded. "Jaehyun oppa?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I have a hug?" Yerim fidgets unsurely.

Jaehyun blinked and he stared at the distraught looking girl. Her face painted with a scowl, she looked tired and frustrated, and the girl definitely could use a hug. He sighed and opened his arms, "Come here."

Yerim let out a small smile before wrapping her arms around his torso shyly. She took a deep breath before burying her face in his shoulder. It felt comforting.

"Don't think that this is a burden you should handle alone, okay? You and your brother have to learn to share your loads with others. You have me and Doyoung. Feel free to talk to us. We all care for you and your brother," Jaehyun patted her back.

"Thank you, oppa. I hope everything will end soon."

"I hope so. It's difficult, I know, but just enjoy the process, okay? You complained about having no work in Jongno…."

Yerim giggled and playfully hit his back, "I must've said the wrong prayers then."

Jaehyun laughed before squeezing her softly, "If you're having a hard time, tell me, okay? I'll run down to the morgue in a blink of an eye. I know the other two aren't brave enough to spend time here."

Yerim laughed, "I know. That's why you're the best. But please don't tell my brother that."

Jaehyun pulled away and messed up her hair, a dimpled smile gracing his face as he watched Yerim grumbled, but all the stress and frustrations already gone from her pretty little face.

___

When Yerim arrived at the meeting room, the mood was glum. The three detectives were all busy putting information on the murder lead board, trying to play a futile game of connect-the-dots.

"Knock, knock."

All three heads turned and she smiled weakly. "I've finished reading the toxicology report from CSI. It's a bit… mind boggling, to say the least."

"Come have a seat, Kate," her brother waved her in and she sat down on the empty seat next to Jaehyun and opened her file.

"Fire away," Doyoung said as he turned around to face her.

"Okay… So, blood sample showed that she had a ...disturbing amount of miconazole in her system. It's a type of antifungal drugs. Along with antidiabetic drugs. Glibenclamide, to be exact, a type of sulfonylureas. And together, they formed a… pretty… deadly combination."

The three detectives blinked in confusion.

"There were two types of drugs in her system. First, an antidiabetic drug. A type of sulfonylurea called Glibenclamide. It was also found in her stomach sample, so it was something she ingested and they were within normal range."

"Okay…?" Jaehyun said as he wrote down the piece of information on the board.

"Second, antifungal medicine, in its intravenous form, injected into her central vein, above the clavicula here," Yerim informed, pointing at her clavicle.

"And the dosage?"

"Alarmingly high. She was injected with the amount of miconazole that is high enough to cause certain damage in her body cells. But that's not what killed her. Miconazole is known to…. enhance? Amplify? The effect of sulfonylureas, such as glibenclamide."

"And what does glibenclamide do?" Youngho asked.

"It's an antidiabetic, so to lower blood glucose level… I guess?" Doyoung scratched his head.

"Bingo," Yerim snapped her fingers.

"So, she became very… hypoglycemic because of the miconazole?"

"My theory, yes. Her plasma glucose level is very low. Low enough to send her into a coma, and if untreated, death."

"How long can someone be in a coma before dying?"

"A hypoglycemic coma? Plenty of time, hours. But in her case, it’ll only take around probably… an hour or two, since she had a case of miconazole overdose as well," Yerim nodded.

"Okay, that's one thing. What about her other autopsy results?"

"Same treatment. Her hair was dyed...badly, as usual. Her joints were broken, there was ribbons on her wrist. She had a tattoo on her left rib cage. You know, the usual stuffs."

"And, does she used to live in the States?"

"Yeah, I believe so. The first and the last time we saw her alive was when I went there with Yerim to interview Seol Hari, her cousin. Where was it again? An art school, right?" Jaehyun turned to Yerim.

"Yes. In Rhode Island. She went to RISD. She has a knack for painting."

"So, she fits all the criteria... It's just that she's a girl, not a male. And, it's not a month yet since the last body came. If the pattern was right, we're supposed to receive the body on July 6th," Youngho frowned.

"I know, that's why it's weird. When do you think we can interview Seol Hari? I mean, the prosecution office must've heard about this since the deputy and Prosecutor Yoon are like… besties and stuffs," Yerim snickered.

"What do we want to know? Let's list all the possible questions first."

"First of all, is she really diabetic? She's pretty young to be developing diabetes. I could obtain a histopathology sample from her pancreas and liver if you guys would like too, but it’s going to take time to process and analyze them, especially since histopathology is not my field of expertise. Interviewing Seol Hari would be a lot quicker," Yerim shrugged.

"Okay, that. And then?"

"Who else knew if she had diabetes. That’s crucial since the killer have to know her disease and medications first before orchestrating this drug reaction thingies," Jaehyun piped in.

"That's right. And if she had any fungal disease that required Miconazole? I mean, I'm like 99.99% sure that it was the murderer that injected her with miconazole since it was delivered through her central vein. You can’t just inject yourself in the central vein, it’s too difficult,” Yerim commented.

Jaehyun nodded,” Yeah. And the killer must've had enough knowledge to be able to administer intravenous drugs. I mean, not everyone is equipped with the skills to give injections, as well as access to those kinds of drugs.”

"And he must've been someone who's well informed and knowledgeable about drugs since he knew the consequence of giving miconazole alongside with glibenclamide, A doctor, maybe?" Doyoung added.

“Nurse, too. They can administer drugs as well. And then… midwives?” Youngho added.

"By the way, has the CCTV record came in?" Jaehyun inquired.

"Shoot! I forgot to take it from Officer Lee. Wait a minute," Doyoung shot up from his seat and hastily left the room, coming back less than ten minutes later with a flash disk and his laptop in hand. He plugged in the device and opened the footage that Officer Lee Jeno had acquired.

"Officer Lee said we have four different footages from four different angles. Officer Na is working on a warrant so we can scour for nearby CCTVs and see where the man possibly came from," Doyoung informed as he opened a file.

All eight eyes are fixed on the screen, waiting to see who delivered the package.

"Pause!" Youngho said.

Doyoung paused the clip immediately and they all frowned.

"The man… the one who it is not that tall?" Yerim frowned.

“Jay… You said the man you saw was approximately of Johnny’s height, right?” Doyoung raised his brows.

“Yeah. He’s tall,” Jaehyun nodded surely.

“Then…?”

"Accomplice? I mean, I'm pretty sure the man I saw was our killer. His built also made it possible to snap bones and stuff!" Jaehyun exclaimed.

"It could be an accomplice, or copycat murder. But for it to be a copycat murder would be too…"

"Unlikely? I think so. I mean, have you seen the notes on the body? It was clearly directed to me. It has the same handwriting. CSI confirmed it was written possibly by the same person with the same pen. Chemical and fiber analysis from the paper also revealed that they were of the same kind," Youngho sighed.

"Well then, this person might be an accomplice. We're facing a more difficult situation now," Doyoung groaned.

"What if this person is the real killer and the one you saw was the accomplice?" Youngho turned to Jaehyun.

"That's plausible. We have tons of possibilities here. Everything's possible in this case,"

Jaehyun nodded, glancing at their messy information board which revealed nothing as of this time.

"Alright, I'll report to the Chief and have him ask Prosecutor Kim if Prosecutor Yoon is going here anytime soon."

___

The detectives' nightmare came earlier than expected. It was around 4 p.m and they were all—Yerim included—huddled in the meeting room, watching CCTV footages from nearby stores. And then Prosecutor Yoon came. That damned guy came along with two of his subordinates.

"The new body addition is a big enough sign that this case is getting out of control, Detective Seo. Maybe, it's better if the prosecution office takes over completely," the deputy said.

Youngho curled his fist, clearly agitated and tempted to rip the smug look from Prosecutor Yoon's face.

"With all due respect, sir, but my detectives had been handling this case just fine and they have collected a tremendous amount of leads with so little evidence," Chief Kim said through gritted teeth.

"But Chief Kim, there were five bodies so far. Five death citizens, five bodies too many! Isn't keeping the citizens safe the police motto? The longer you are unable to solve this case, the more people will die, the less citizens are safe," Prosecutor Yoon retaliated.

"If you think you can solve this case quickly, then do entertain us by telling what theories your team had come up with so far?" Youngho raised his brow challengingly, folding his arms in frustration.

Jaehyun cheered inwardly when he saw how Prosecutor Yoon's jaws hardened. The man was good at masking his expression, but not good enough that a behavioral expert like Jaehyun could see him through easily.

"We haven't even obtained the result of the autopsy for the new body. How could we come up with theories?" Prosecutor Yoon defended himself.

"How about the previous four bodies then? Any ideas? My team and I worked really hard collecting the bare minimum amount of evidence and putting them together into solid reports," Youngho said.

"Then what are your theories so far, Detective Seo?" Prosecutor Yoon asked back.

"I don't know, you tell us. Aren't you the one who was about to conduct a public search? What's your killer profile? Come on, tell us," Doyoung piped in sassily.

Yerim had to hold back her giggles because the scene unfolding before is truly funny like it came straight from a Mean Girls movie. Prosecutor Yoon and the Deputy looking like they're ready to burn then down. Chief Kim looks agitated. Her brother had a permanent scowl on his face. Jaehyun looked calm and composed as usual but Yerim could see his calculating gaze, steadily analyzing Prosecutor Yoon's body language. And Doyoung? With his hands on his hips and head cocked to the side, he could easily pass off as one of Regina George's cliques.

"Dr. Kim, please give Prosecutor Yoon the result of the autopsy so the prosecution office could piece up a solid plan," the deputy finally stepped in.

Yerim shrugged and handed a copy of her visum reports. Prosecutor Yoon scanned the document and the deputy patted him on his back before retreating back to his office. The chief turned to them and gave them a nod of encouragement before following the deputy, probably off to protest or something.

Prosecutor Yoon frowned and turned to Yerim, "Dr. Kim, how about the interpretation of the medications here?"

Yerim frowned, "Why should I tell you? I don't work under you. You have your own team, make them use their brains. And if they can't, you can always google it. It’s the 22nd century! Ugh, people nowadays," Yerim sneered before leaving the commotion to retreat back to the morgue. Being with dead bodies is sure more fun rather than being with other people.

Jaehyun left a silent chuckle and shook his head before taking his leave as well.

"Well, good luck, Prosecutor," Youngho gave him a teasing smile before dragging Doyoung away with him.

 
notes

have y'all watch jaehyun's awsaz with jisung? ajshwndw my cute boys :")

anyways... there's a slight deviation in the pattern.

so..an accomplice? copycat murder?

any idea? i like reading all your guesses!

anyways, thx for reading, commenting, subscribing, and upvoting! stay safe and healthy everyone!

xo, btfg