o9 // abusive ex

catch him if you can
chapter
09
 

Jaehyun inspected the workers that had just finished installing the CCTV in front of Shim Yonghee's apartment unit. The woman is conversing with Yerim who was calming her.

"It's all done, Detective. The footages will be saved in our system, and the police could see it anytime you guys want through your IT. I talked to Officer Lee Jeno about this," the worker said.

"Thank you, sir." Jaehyun bowed and went inside the unit where Yerim is sitting closely to the owner of the residence.

"Yonghee-sshi, you're going to be safe. The CCTVs we installed will also help look out for you if your abusive ex-boyfriend came back. Please do not hesitate to call our precinct if he disturbed you. We can lock him in our cell for at least two nights and serve him with a restraining order afterwards," Yerim said sincerely as she held Shim Yonghee's hands.

"Thank you, Dr. Kim. And Detective Jung. I hope I'll be safe," she bowed her head.

"Alright. We'll get going then, Ms. Shim," Jaehyun stood up and bowed, followed by Yerim.

They bid their goodbyes and exited the building. "Anyways, Doyoung texted me asking for bruise cream," Jaehyun said as he looked at his phone.

"Should we stop by a pharmacy? There's one not too far from the precinct," Yerim suggested as she followed Jaehyun to his car. Jaehyun nodded and drove them to a pharmacy, a ten minutes’ drive away.

Aqua Pharmacy

Jaehyun glanced at the sign before opening the door. The bell chimed as they entered the place, being greeted immediately by a man who looked about the same age as them.

"Good afternoon, how may I help you?"

Yerim smiled and began asking for the medicine and Jaehyun silently watched as he looked at his surroundings. There are shelves lined with medicines. He turned his attention back to the man who was going to a room, and coming back with a tube of something.

"Here it is, ma'am. Is that all?"

"Yeah, that's all. How much is it?" Yerim asked.

"That'll be 3.400 won."

Yerim reached for her purse but Jaehyun was quicker to fetch his wallet from his back pocket and handed the guy a 5.000 won bill.

"It's cheap, I could've paid for it," she grumbled.

Jaehyun patted her head, as he pocketed the change, "Doyoung asked to burden me, not you. Come on, let's go back." He glanced back and smiled at the kind man behind the counter, looking at his nametag.

"Thanks, Jaewon-sshi."

__

Yerim entered the precinct and grimaced when she saw Doyoung with his sleeves rolled up, a few bluish marks marking his pale arm.

"Jesus, that looks awful," Jaehyun grimaced.

"What happened, Detective Kim?" Yerim asked worriedly.

"The undercover blew up. Jungwoo nearly got busted. He's nursing a broken rib right now. I was slammed by one of the thugs when he realized I wasn't a customer. But I'm mostly fine, and Team 2 managed to catch the dealers so it's all good. You got the cream, Jay?"

Jaehyun nodded and handed him the tube. Doyoung whistled as if nothing's wrong while he began applying the ointment on his bruises.

"They'll ache later at night. It worries me that you seemed pretty nonchalant about it," Yerim commented.

"Trust me, Dr. Kim, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Instead, you should be more worried about your brother or Jay, they're the ones who had been grazed by a bullet and…. I'd rather not explain since your brother is coming in 3...2...1! Hi, John!" Doyoung grinned.

"Sweet baby Jesus, what happened, Doy?" Johnny gasped.

"Nothing much. A blown up undercover. Save your worries for Jungwoo, he's still in the ER," Doyoung rolled his eyes.

Youngho visibly balked, "God, you're on my team now. I should probably berate Taeyong for putting you in danger. You're not part of that team any--"

"Anymore and I'm not obligated to join their stake outs and attacks. Geez, Johnny, I knew. It's just that things have been slow and they needed help. With the Black Dragon cartel being caught last year, more rings are being discovered and the Narcs had been busy. It’s not like I have things to do anyway," Doyoung smiled to calm his leader.

Johnny sighed and Yerim smiled. Her brother might look tough and intimidating but really, he's a softie towards s.

"Anyways, how the CCTV installments?" Johnny turned to Jaehyun and Yerim.

"It went well. Han Seungyeon and Shim Yonghee accepted it well."

"The worker said we can get the footages directly from Officer Lee Jeno. And oh, Shim Yonghee has an abusive ex-boyfriend, so we might need to look him up," Jaehyun added.

"That's one more problem added to our plate, great," Johnny rolled his eyes.

"His name is Woo Jaehwan, he has cropped hair with a fade cut on the sides. Tattoos on his arms. He's around Detective Kim's height but a bit more built in figure. He has no double eyelids," Yerim recited.

She met him once when he was fighting with Shim Yonghee that one day when she first interviewed her with Jaehyun. She asked Shim Yonghee his name earlier this afternoon when they were installing CCTVs at her place.

"You are indeed a walking memory card," Jaehyun mused.

Yerim flipped her hair in a teasing manner, causing the three detectives to laugh.

"He was pretty rash in his actions, and he looked at Shin Yonghee in a condescending manner. Calling her s and stuffs. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how much of a jerk he is. Let's be safe and try to dig information about him, see if he's related to the case or just a bump in our road," Jaehyun said.

"Very well, I'll ask Officer Na to look him up in our system. See if he has any records," Johnny gave them a thumbs up before disappearing, probably to see Officer Na Jaemin.

"You guys worked amazingly good together. Johnny was right, having two observant people together is amazing," Doyoung grinned as he rolled his sleeve back down, finished with his bruises.

"She made a great partner. For once I enjoyed going to interviews since I have extra eyes and ears with me," Jaehyun grinned.

Yerim shrugged, "It's fun since he speaks English so I can switch between languages when I got confused."

Doyoung rolled his eyes, "Gaaah, I wish I used to live in the States too!"

__

Jaehyun was reading the daily news on his computer, meanwhile Yerim was swiveling around on a chair next to him, reading on an old Conan comic he randomly had on his drawers. Doyoung is playing Tetris on his PC and Johnny is inside the Chief's office, probably reporting about their case progress now that they have two potential targets safe. Just then a young officer came to his desk.

"Detective Jung, Dr. Kim."

"Yes, Officer?" Jaehyun answered.

"A woman claimed to know both of you and have seen you guys twice. She said her name is Shim Yonghee and she's here to see the two of you," the young male said.

"Shim Yonghee is here? Bring her in then," Jaehyun nodded.

Yerim closed the comic on her hands.

"What date it today?" Yerim mused as she peered over Jaehyun's shoulder to try to see the date on his computer.

May 29th.

"Why?" Jaehyun asked. His question is unanswered when a distraught looking Shin Yonghee came inside the office.

"D-detective... and Dr. Kim," she whispered.

Yerim stood up immediately and led her to the meeting room, following Jaehyun who signaled her to go there first. She ignored the confused look on Doyoung's face and entered the room, allowing the poor woman to sit down.

She bursts into tears and Yerim pulled her into a hug immediately.

"I… I'll go get some water," Jaehyun said, feeling awkward and decided to flee.

"Is that the supposed target? Who was it again, Shim Yonghee?" Doyoung asked curiously as he followed Jaehyun to the pantry.

Jaehyun nodded as he filled a mug with water. "We mentioned that her ex-boyfriend was kind of a jerk a few days ago. I think it's related to that since she's crying and Yerim is trying to console her."

"Geez," Doyoung sighed.

"I'll get there first. Go to Officer Lee Jeno and asked for CCTV footages of Shim Yonghee," Jaehyun said.

"Atta."

Jaehyun entered the meeting room, finding Shim Yonghee already calming down a little and Yerim patting her shoulder.

"Have some water first, Miss Shim," Jaehyun offered her.

The woman shot him a thankful smile before gulping down the water.

"He came again..." she said in a shaky voice.

"He...? Your…"

"Yes, Jaehwan, my ex. We changed the security system of my unit, so he was flippant when he couldn't enter my apartment. I wasn't there when that happened, I was still at work. I forgot my laptop so I headed back and I saw him and he slapped me," she choked.

Jaehyun sighed, noticing her reddish cheeks.

"I've asked my officer to look up the CCTV footages. This isn't our work portion so someone from violence and crimes unit will take care of it. But since you're linked to our case, we'll monitor closely," Jaehyun explained calmly.

He could see that the woman is scared and anxious. Genuinely so. He was an expert at analyzing behavior and he's done enough analysis to know who faked and who didn't. This woman clearly didn't.

"Thank you, detective."

"It's our job," Jaehyun smiled.

"By the way, Yonghee-sshi, have you encountered someone unusual, lately?" Yerim asked suddenly.

Jaehyun turned to her confusedly.

"Not any that I know of. I went to work as usual, and I haven't met any friends or family in the past few days besides my co-worker," she shook her head.

"Okay. I was just curious," Yerim smiled.

Jaehyun could see she was beyond curious. There's some kind of thoughts formed in that pretty little head of hers.

Just then, Doyoung popped his head in. "Uhm, sorry to interfere, but Officer Han from VCU came to deal with this. And Jay, I got something," Doyoung smiled before leaving.

And then a man a few years older than Jaehyun entered the room. "I am Han Ilkook from Violence and Crime Unit. Is this Miss Shim Yonghee?"

"Y-yes, that's me."

"Okay, let's have a talk. Here is okay," the man smiled kindly.

Jaehyun and Yerim bowed at him before politely excusing themselves to see Doyoung peering closely at his computer screen.

"Look, guys."

Yerim and Jaehyun stared at the scene, looking at Woo Jaehwan violently kicking the apartment door and banging on it, shaking the door knob harshly. Doyoung skipped a few parts and revealed a scene where Shim Yonghee came to find him, and he started barking at her and slapping her.

"She wasn't lying. I knew it. It shows," Jaehyun muttered.

"We should figure out is he's related to the case or just a very damned coincidence," Doyoung said solemnly.

"According to the information from Officer Na two days ago, Woo Jaehwan had a few parking tickets, and a DUI case from back in college. He was also involved in a brawl two years ago, but that's it," Yerim furrowed her brows.

"DUI and brawl. Already enough signs to tell that he's reckless and emotional. VCU will be taking this case but we're allowed to interfere since it crossed with our case. Officer Han said so. Let's see if they could get a warrant or arrest him, and we'll try to check his alibis," Doyoung said.

Yerim nodded before going to her chair—a random swivel chair Jaehyun pulled for her, situated comfortably between his desk and her brother's.

Jaehyun silently watched her and she rolled her eyes, "I could feel you analyzing me, Jaehyun-sshi."

Jaehyun grinned before plopping on his own chair. "You looked distracted. You have something thought up."

"Fine, psychic."

"I'm not a psychic, just highly observant," Jaehyun grinned.

"It's May 29th today."

"Yeah. So?"

"So?? Jaehyun-sshi, for God's sake. We're losing time!"

"Time?"

"I made a guess about the killing pattern before. The body will be sent every month on the day where the date is equal to the number of the month subtracted by one. And then the murder happened at a certain day according to the decaying state of the body when it was sent here. First, the body was murdered 6 days before it was sent here. Then 5. Then 4. If the next murder happened, we'll have a body delivered here on June 5th. And if things seriously went as planned--"

"The target would be murdered on June 2nd," Jaehyun finished her sentence and she nodded.

"We have less than 3 days," Yerim said.

Just then, Johnny exited the chief's room looking glum.

"One of the targets went here, Shim Yonghee," Doyoung informed.

"Who?"

"Shim Yonghee. The one with the abusive ex. Apparently her ex came and taunted her. Good thing we installed the CCTV and changed her security system. VCU is working on it," Jaehyun explained.

Youngho sighed and sat on his desk.

"What's wrong, oppa?" Yerim asked in concern.

"If our guesses were right, Katie, 3 days from now either Han Seungyeon, Shim Yonghee, or Kim Ayoung would be murdered. And 3 days after that, her body will be here, next to my desk," Youngho said glumly.

"Let's ask for more intense security details. Especially since one of our targets has a suspicious ex as well," Jaehyun said.

"I tried talking to Chief Kim about it. He was on board, but the other directors were not. They think it was already blowing our budget and they've been commenting on our slow progress. It's killing me."

Yerim stood up and gave her brother a hug.

"Thanks, Katie Kat," Youngho squeezed her before letting her go.

"Shim Yonghee is a target of domestic abuse, and a potential target for murder. It's enough reason to put her on a protection program," Doyoung piped in.

"I know. The fact that we have CCTV footages of her being harassed should help. Shall we talk to the chief again?" Jaehyun offered.

"Thanks, Jay. But it's okay. I'll talk again to Chief Kim about it," Youngho sighed.

"I have a better idea," Yerim grinned.

"Spill."

"The way to a man's heart is through his woman."

 
notes

guess who's bored out of her wits and decided to post???

it's nearly 3 weeks of quarantine/social distancing, the outbreak is getting worse, i'm practically stuck inside my dorm for an indefinite amount of time.

somehow i have finished writing around 15~ish chapter. expect more updates in a few days (or less, if i'm super bored lol).

anyway, stay safe everyone! stay at home, don't go out unless it's super necessary and wear mask if you did go out. wash your hand with soap often, and eat nutritious food!

xoxo, byuntaefangull