o30 // epilogue

catch him if you can
chapter
30
 

“Officer Lee!”

Lee Minhyung, one half of the Lee Twins, turned his head to see the chief waving his hand at him.

“Chief Lee,” the officer bowed.

“This is Officer Park Jisung. He’s one of our newest recruits who’s going to be joining the CSI team. Can you please take him around and explain the basics? I have a meeting with Detective Kim and his team,” Chief Lee Taeyong said distractedly as he continuously glanced at his wristwatch.

“Of course, sir.” “Officer Park, please follow Officer Lee, okay? You’ll also meet his brother. They’re the backbone of our CSI team. I have to get going. Have a nice day you two, please get along well!”

The two officers bowed at their kind superior.

“Uh, Annyeong haseyo. I’m Park Jisung. Please take care of me well.”

Minhyung laughed at patted the tall kid’s back. Two CSI officers were recently moved to another precinct, so the team that Minhyung led was short of people. The chief promised him a new recruit and to be honest, Minhyung was really looking forward for it.

“I’m Lee Minhyung, Head of the CSI Team. Like what Chief Lee said, I have a twin, Donghyuk. We don’t look alike so don’t be too shocked. He’s at the pantry now, probably getting his morning caffeine fix. Let me take you there and we can start the precinct tour soon.”

Jisung tailed the older guy obediently and followed the man into the said pantry where he saw a guy whistling happily.

“Donghyuk.”

“Ey, brother. Oh, hi! Are you the new CSI kid?”

Jisung nodded, launching into junior mode immediately, introducing himself politely.

“Eyyy, no need to be too formal. I’m Donghyuk, his twins. Yah, Minhyung, have you taken him for a tour?”

Minhyung shook his head as he approached the coffee machine, “Not yet. Jisung, want some coffee first?”

Jisung perked up. His new superiors were strangely very casual.

“I… I’ll make it for you, Officer Lee!” he rushed to the coffee machine.

Minhyung laughed, “Like Donghyuk said, no need to be too formal. I can make my own. In fact, Donghyuk was kind enough to brew me a cup. Go make your own then.”

Jisung bowed before he fiddled with the machine as Minhyung sipped his coffee silently.

“Anyways, have you met everyone in this precinct?” Donghyuk asked.

Jisung politely shook his head, “Not yet, Officer. Just Chief Lee.”

Ei, stop being too formal. Just hyung is fine. And you’ve met Chief Lee already, of course. Do you know his story?” Donghyuk asked again.

“Actually, no, Off—I mean, hyung. He was quite famous in the academy though, since he busted a lot of drug rings.”

Minhyung nodded, “Yeah. He used to be the leader of Team 2, the Narcs. He worked alongside Officer Kim Jungwoo and Officer Kim Doyoung back then. Officer Kim Doyoung moved to the homicide team though. And now since Officer Lee Taeyong is promoted to chief, Officer Kim Jungwoo became the leader. There are two Chinese descendant officers working under Officer Kim Jungwoo now. Officer Huang Renjun and Officer Zhong Chenle. I think they were a great addition to the team.”

“Yeah. They were a tremendous help in busting the Korean and Chinese drug transactions. I think Officer Zhong is around your age. I’ll introduce you to him. He’s a cute hardworking kid, I think the two of you would get along together really well,” Donghyuk added.

“How about Officer Kim Doyoung?” Jisung asked.

“Ah, he’s working for team 1 now. Let’s go to the CSI office. I’ll tell you his story on the way,” Minhyung said as he picked his cup of coffee. Jisung timidly followed the male into the elevator.

“Team 1 is considered the legendary team here. Officer Kim Doyoung is known for being smart and tactical. He’s also very, very kind. You’ll see him hanging out with almost everybody in the precinct. Aside from his team, he’s also very close to Officer Lee Jeno and Officer Na Jaemin. Those two were part of the IT team, and had worked tons of time with Team 1. Let’s go see them at lunch so you’ll get acquainted,” Minhyung explained.

“Officer Kim Doyoung was moved to the Homicide team since they were handling a very big case. You’ve heard of the Medicine Murder, right?”

Jisung nodded excitedly, “Yes, hyung. It was an exemplary case. A legend in the academy.”

“The case was directed to the team leader, Officer or Detective Seo Youngho. His close friends called him Johnny. He used to live in the States. But man, poor dude. Detective Seo was very kind. He’s also very good at his job. Actually, he was the strongest candidate for the new Chief when Chief Kim Joonmyun, our previous Chief, got promoted to being the Director. But Detective Seo rejected the offer. He said he’s more well-suited as a detective. His right-hand man, Detective Jung, was the next candidate. But he refused as well, with the same reason as Detective Seo. In the end, Detective Lee Taeyong took the offer. He’s great as a chief though, so I don’t really mind,” Donghyuk shrugged as he stepped out of the elevator.

“See, Jisung, this is the entrance to the CSI office. And that, is the morgue,” Minhyung explained. Jisung felt chills running up his spine at the mention of morgue. He hoped he doesn’t have to frequent that place too much in the future.

“Right now, the head of the Forensic Department is Dr. Kim Yerim. And flash news, she’s Detective Seo’s younger sister.”

“Real sister?”

“Half-sister to be exact. If you recall the Medicine Murder case, the culprit was Detective Seo’s birth father. Apparently, his mother and birth father divorced when he was still a toddler, and remarried to Dr. Kim’s father. So, Detective Seo and Dr. Kim essentially have the same mother. They’re the cutest siblings, you know.”

“Ah, yeah. I’ve heard how Dr. Kim stepped in to take the culprit’s bait in place of her team leader. I just didn’t know that her team leader was her own brother. Very heroic,” Jisung commented.

“That’s why she’s legendary, like her brother. She was a genius. She has photographic memory! She was a forensic doctor but she joined a lot of Team 1’s activities since she was a great addition to the team. The former head of the Forensic department was Dr. Do Kyungsoo, but he was promoted to work for the KNPA HQ instead. Dr. Kim now worked with several other doctors. You’ll be meeting them a lot. There’s Dr. Lee Soohyun, her best friend. Also Dr. Lee Chaeyoung. There were the three most badass girls in the whole precinct, basically,” Minhyung laughed.

“Wow,” Jisung gaped.

“And then, when speaking about Dr. Kim, you gotta speak of her fiancée too!”

“Fiancée? Ah! Detective Jung?”

“Bingo. Wow, their love story must've been very legendary that you knew about it, huh?”

Jisung laughed, “They’re basically the dream couple that everyone talked about in the academy. No one could forget the story of how Dr. Kim installed a SOS app on Detective Jung’s phone, or how Detective Jung braved two bullets to save her.”

“Yeah. They’re engaged now. Really, they’re amazing. Detective Jung is basically a genius too, like his fiancée. He was a behavior analyst. He could take one look at you and basically read your gestures. Kinda creepy, but also cool at the same time. Beware of him, he could read you like an open book. But don’t worry, he’s very kind. He used to live in the States too, and he went by Jay most of the time. One of the chilliest guys in the precinct, really. Detective Jung and Dr. Kim… They were the talk of the precinct when they got engaged. I mean, can you imagine their future child?!”

Jisung chuckled at Donghyuk’s words. “They’re going to be the parents of future Sherlock Holmes.”

“Essentially. I mean, their genes… Both good looking, smart, and kind.”

“Is Detective Seo married already?”

“Not yet. He’s always single. I think it’s because he’s very dedicated to his job. I sincerely hope he’ll find his other half soon, though. He’s such a nice guy,” Minhyung answered.

“Oh, wait, there’s Doctor Kim and Detective Jung!” Donghyuk whispered quite loudly.

Jisung turned his body to see a blonde girl exiting the elevator with a tall brown-haired guy beside her. He nearly swooned when the guy delivered a peck on the girl’s forehead.

“Morning, lovebirds!” Donghyuk whistled.

Jisung balked at the action but the couple seemed unbothered. They were even laughing! Really, why is everyone so chill in this precinct?

“Morning, twins! New guy?”

“Yes, Detective Jung. This is Officer Park Jisung,” Minhyung answered.

“Uh, hello, I’m Officer Park Jisung. Please take care of me well,” Jisung bowed.

The couple approached him and the woman, Dr. Kim, smiled kindly. “Hi! I’m Dr. Kim Yerim, working for the Forensic Department. We’ll see each other a lot, so let’s work hard together!”

Jisung was amazed at the couple’s aura. Three years had passed since the infamous Medicine Murder case, but Jisung could feel just how much of a true legend the couple was.

“Anyways, I have to go back upstairs. Interview. Nice meeting you, Officer Park. Hope we can see each other often. And you, twins, don’t scare him off!” Detective Jung joked good-naturedly which the twins replied with simultaneous scoffs. The fact that the two could scoff at the exact same second gave Jisung goosebumps.

Jisung watched as the couple shared one last hug before Detective Jung took the elevator back upstairs and Dr. Kim entered the morgue.

“Well. You’ve seen the core members of this precinct. Now, now, Jisung, let’s head inside our office, shall we? We’ll show you your cubicle!”