o14 // non desistas, non exieris

catch him if you can
chapter
14
 

Jaehyun was silent as he walked briskly back to the precinct. Yerim glanced up, her wrist is still clasped between Jaehyun's fingers. The man was just walking straight without saying anything. Yerim is not a behavior analyst like him but it doesn't take a genius to guess that the man had a lot going on his mind.

"Why are you dragging my sister like that? Where have you been?"

Jaehyun jolted when he spotted Youngho with a stack of documents in his hand looking at him confusedly. He quickly unwrapped his fingers and Yerim shrugged casually.

"Doyoung suggested us to keep an eye on the pharmacist," Jaehyun said.

"What pharmacist? Is this another case from Unit 2?"

Yerim rolled her eyes and strolled to leisurely sit on the swivel chair next to her brother's desk. "The pharmacy where Shim Yonghee bought her medicine. The pharmacist seemed a bit sketchy so I went there with Jaehyun oppa."

"Oh. Was he really suspicious?" Youngho asked as he sat on his desk.

"Definitely. He somehow got the idea that Shim Yonghee was missing even though we never mentioned it to him," Jaehyun nodded.

"Should we keep an eye on him?" Youngho asked.

"We probably should. Let's frequent the pharmacy from now on. Your acting was stellar!" Yerim giggled.

Jaehyun sent her a pointed look and dropped into his chair with a sulk.

As if the universe was intent of mocking him, Doyoung appeared out of nowhere and grinned, "Hey, maknaes! How's the cover act?"

"Oh, he was talented in faking indigestion," Yerim cackled.

Jaehyun pulled her into a playful chokehold and the other two detectives laughed when they heard Yerim yelped helplessly.

"I thought your team was supposed to be working diligently instead of fooling around, Detective Seo."

Jaehyun immediately released his hold from Yerim's neck and the latter quickly tidied up her messed-up hair at the sudden intrusion. Everyone's expression tightened and Yerim frowned.

Who is this guy?

"We were working day and night, Prosecutor Yoon," Youngho stepped up from his position, covering his teammates behind him.

"Is that your beloved sister that everyone dubbed as the God sent helper for your team? I don't see her working."

Yerim wants nothing but to pounce at the rude guy but Jaehyun was quick to stand in front of her, his hands tightly covered hers and he softly shook his head. Yerim pouted as the taller guy covered her.

"It's supposed to be a blessing when she doesn't have to work, Prosecutor Yoon. She's a forensic doctor. She worked when there's bodies around. When she’s jobless, that means we have no bodies. That’s good," Youngho retaliated smoothly and Yerim had to give her brother for that.

"I hope you can solve this case quickly and effectively, Detective Seo. I heard you blew up quite a budget to put a security detail on someone and ended up losing that person. Are you sure it wasn't fraud? The prosecution office is glad to help to take over this case if you're uncapable of solving it...like last time."

Yerim, despite being hidden by Jaehyun's tall frame, could see how her brother is curling his fists tightly.

"We'll take care of it just fine, Prosecutor Yoon."

"I hope you do. We won't hesitate to look up on you, Detective. The bodies were sent to you after all, wasn't that suspicious?" The man smirked and Doyoung couldn't hold back anymore.

"Do you have any business here, Prosecutor Yoon? Because we have to leave to interrogate someone and you're taking our time," Doyoung intercepted as he pretended to gather his notes.

"Nah. Go ahead and do your job, Detectives."

The man finally leaves and Youngho dropped into his seat burying his face in his palms immediately.

"That man deserves to rot in the deepest pit of hell," Doyoung snickered.

"Who is he?" Yerim shook her hands, shocking Jaehyun who was still holding her hands. He quickly pulled his hands away only to have Yerim tug on it again.

"Oppa?" She asked again when the three guys ignored her.

"Prosecutor Yoon Sangho," Jaehyun answered.

"Anyways, do we really have an interrogation, Doy?" Youngho asked Doyoung, changing the topic instantly.

"Nah. I was just making things up to shoo that pest away. Should we head out for lunch though?"

"How about we buy something and eat in the office. We only have one day left you know," Jaehyun shrugged.

Youngho nodded, "Sure. I have to see Chief Kim first though. I don't know if that piece of Yoon Sangho was trying to talk Chief Kim into handing over the case to him."

"Alright. Yerim and I will go pick up something for lunch," Jaehyun nodded and pulled Yerim up who glanced at him curiously. They just got back and he’s dragging her out again? The audacity!

Doyoung waved his hand and went along with Youngho, finding the need to stay close to the man since God know what will happen if the man happened to meet Prosecutor Yoon again.

Yerim glanced at her hand which was still in Jaehyun's hold and felt her cheeks warming and she quickly shook her head, not wanting to think about it further.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

Jaehyun shrugged, "I was thinking of dosirak? There's a place nearby that sold dosirak with various toppings."

"We could've called for delivery."

"Yeah but aren't you curious about Prosecutor Yoon?" Jaehyun raised a brow at her and she nodded sheepishly.

The walk to the small shop took less than 10 minutes and Yerim looked around at the comfy shop that was filled with a lot of high school students who were eating lunch.

"Detective Jung!"

Yerim glanced at a middle-aged woman on the counter. Jaehyun seemed like a regular here. She took her time looking at her surroundings while Jaehyun made his order. The shop had a very homey interior design that were mostly dominated with wooden furniture and warm colors. Most of the customers were eating dosirak and snacks that looked very delicious.

"I haven't seen you in such a long time. Ordering the usual?"

Jaehyun smiled at the kind lady and nodded before turning to Yerim who was looking around interestedly.

"Rim, do you want eggs, stir fried beef, or fried chicken?"

"Oh? What's good?"

"Johnny likes chicken, Doyoung likes eggs, and I like the beef. Everything's delicious here."

"I'll have the same like you," she nodded distractedly as she's observing the food people eat here. The kimchi looks mouthwatering, and the multigrain rice looks like it was cooked perfectly. And the japchae!

"1 egg, 1 chicken, and 2 beef dosiraks, ahjumma," Jaehyun smiled before handing her a few bills.

"Is she your girlfriend? I've never seen her before," the lady grinned as she took three plastic boxes to pack up the food.

"Ah, she's Youngho's younger sister. She works at the precinct too," Jaehyun shrugged.

The lady chuckled, "You guys look good together. Very sweet."

Jaehyun blinked and followed the lady's line of sight. Oh, he was still holding hands with Yerim. He wanted to pull away but Yerim seems fine with it. She was swaying their hands together; her other hand even found its way on his arm while she looked around happily. He chuckled when he discovered that she was actually looking at a high school girl eating a stir fry beef dosirak while drinking what seems like lemonades.

"Ahjumma, please add 4 lemonades too."

The lady laughed and nodded before packing 4 bottles of lemonades. "Here you go."

Jaehyun accepted the plastic bag and thanked the lady.

"Let's go."

Yerim felt her hand being squeezed and she looked up to see Jaehyun lifting their orders.

"Oh? Okay."

"You haven't told me about the Prosecutor," Yerim mumbled.

"You were busy eyeing some high schoolers eat," Jaehyun teased and she blushed immediately.

"I was hungry, okay? Now spill!" Yerim blushed in embarrassment. Jaehyun laughed and nodded, pulling her closer to his side when a pedestrian nearly clashed at her.

"Back then, before Doyoung joined our team, it was just me and Johnny. We failed to solve a case and the chief back then handed the case to the Prosecution Office. We don't know what happened but his team managed to solve it shortly. We figured that maybe it has bribery involved but we don't really know. Either way, that man always looked down on your brother since then."

Yerim pouted, "I don't like him."

"Oh, trust me, nobody in our precinct liked him. He had connections and he knew how to use them unlike us who had to work hard to solve cases. Your brother had it a bit better. The narcotics team had to deal with him countless times, which explained why Doyoung was highly hostile to him since he used to work with the Narcs."

Yerim nodded as they arrived at the precinct. "Alright! Let's head back quickly because I'm hungry!"

Jaehyun shook his head and smiled when the younger girl dragged him into the office, the sight of her smaller palms enveloped by his was imprinted at the back of his mind even until lunch time passed.

___

"Oppa, aren't you going home?"

It's nearly 11 and Yerim is downright curious on why her brother is still pacing around his desk instead of packing up. She glanced at Doyoung and he shrugged. She turned to Jaehyun who gave her a weak smile.

"What?" She dragged her chair towards Jaehyun.

"The body is supposed to come tomorrow, Yerim-ah. We didn't succeed in tracking Shim Yonghee down."

Ah.

"I want to catch him. The culprit," Youngho spoke as he curled his fist.

"And that translates to camping inside the office?" Yerim scratched her nape.

"I want to catch him first thing in the morning. Do you want to go home and sleep? Jay? Can you dri—"

"Nah, I'll stick here with you guys. I don't want to be alone in your apartment. I can sleep in my office," Yerin shrugged.

"At the morgue?!" Doyoung balked.

"The couch in my office is not too bad," Yerim shrugged nonchalantly.

"Just… take the meeting room. It creeped me out imagining you sleeping with dead bodies downstairs," Youngho shuddered. Sometimes, he just can’t get the way his sister’s mind’s work.

"What are you going to do now?" Yerim asked curiously.

The precinct is fairly empty. There are patrolling guards outside but no detectives are around at this hour since no unit is dealing with any particular case except her brother's unit. There might be some officers upstairs but, on this floor, the four of them were the only ones.

"I'm going to go review some of my notes. I can't sleep. I'll be at the pantry," Youngho shrugged and waved his journal.

"I'll be sleeping at the locker room," Doyoung shrugged. The locker room has a bench inside and he's planning to lay down and sleep there.

"And you?" Yerim turned to Jaehyun next to her.

The man shrugged. "Here accompanying you, I guess? I don't have anything to do. And I don’t think it’s safe for a woman to be here alone at this hour."

Oppa. This is the police’s office! It’s the safest possible place ever!”

“I was just saying. I’m bored and you’re pretty entertaining. Aren’t you bored?” he chuckled.

Yerim huffed, "I'm bored and I’m not too sleepy."

"Wanna play something?" Jaehyun rummaged his drawers. He's pretty sure he had a set of UNO cards somewhere.

"Let's play 20 questions!" Yerim grinned.

Jaehyun raised his brows, "20 questions?"

Yerim nodded excitedly. "I liked to play this to get to know someone better."

Jaehyun smiled, "Sure. Ask away. You first."

"Alright, let's start easy. When are you born?"

"February 14th. 2 years ahead of you."

"Oooh. Valentine boy, aren't you?"

Jaehyun chuckled, "I guess I am. How about you?"

"Me? March 5th. Nothing important happened that day. Okay, next question! Favorite color?"

Jaehyun blinked. Did he even have a favorite color? "Er… I don't really know? But I mainly wear white and black? What about you?"

"Blech, boring. I like pink, I guess because I'm a girl. I also like purple."

"I never pegged you to be a Barbie lover."

Yerim giggled, "Fun fact, I don't like barbie dolls. They're overrated."

"Huh? You grew up in the States. Barbie dolls are staple toys in the US!"

"Excuse you but I have Johnny as my brother. I preferred playing outdoor with him."

"Alright, fair enough. Ask me my next question."

"Uhm... What did your tattoo say?"

Jaehyun smiled. So, she remembered about him having a tattoo.

"A cross and some emo Latin phrases I made when I turned 21."

"What does it say?" Yerim beamed.

"Want to see it?"

She nodded enthusiastically.

Jaehyun stood up and turned around. He lifted the back of his shirt and Yerim could see the black ink decorating his lower back. The tattoo is not too big.

"Non desistas, non exieris.." her voice came out as a whisper.

Jaehyun grinned and lowered his shirt again before sitting back down. Yerim tried to hide her blush because, hello, his lower back looks hot.

"Never give up, never surrender," he explained.

"That's not emo! That's a good life principal," Yerim smiled.

"I know. My turn then, your favorite pasta dish?"

"Wow, that's so random. Hmm… I guess ravioli? The three cheese ones with vodka sauce. Yum!"

Jaehyun grinned.

"How about you?"

"I like everything. But maybe, Aglio olio?"

Yerim nodded. "Your favorite sleeping positions?"

Jaehyun bursted out laughing, "Yerim, that's so random!"

Yerim laughed and shrugged, "Just answer it!"

"On my stomach or on my side. I don't really enjoy sleeping on my back and I don't know why."

"I know right? Oh my god, I also can't stand sleeping on my back!" Yerim piped in.

"I sometimes felt suffocated when I have to lay on my back. Okay, next question. Your hobby?"

Yerim smiled fondly, "I like music. I enjoyed playing guitar and the piano. I'm not too good of a singer but I enjoy singing too."

Jaehyun grinned, "I actually was part of the Youth church choir back in Fresco. I also play the piano. We should jam together some times, after the case is finished. There's a bar near here, they have an open karaoke night and they have a piano there. I sang there once as a dare but I enjoyed it. We should perform together at least once. I'm curious about your skill."

Yerim grinned and yawned. She’s getting sleepy but Jaehyun is pretty interesting. "Next! Favorite coffee?"

"Ooh. Standard iced americano? Or flat white when I'm feeling mushy." Yerim chuckled before leaning her head on Jaehyun's desk, watching the man's expression.

"How about your favorite Chinese food?" Jaehyun asked back, leaning his head on the table, copying the girl in front of him.

"Mmm.. tangsuyuk? And I love the American take of Chinese food. Orange chicken? Love it."

"And also, the chow mein? Man, I missed them," Jaehyun mused before yawning.

They continued to ask and answer questions back and forth, mostly about pointless things ranging from their favorite Harry Potter movie to their least favorite Twilight actor. Jaehyun smiled softly when he realized Yerim wasn't listening anymore to his elaboration to the answer of his favorite Emma Watson movie.

The girl was sound asleep, her back lifting and lowering rhythmically with her breath. Jaehyun stood up for a minute and looked for his coat which was abandoned on a random chair. He picked it up and draped it over her smaller frame, smiling when he saw her snuggling into the warmth. He sat back down and laid his head down again, closing his eyes, succumbing to sleep himself.

Some minutes later, Youngho appeared from the pantry, smiling fondly to see the two youngest members of his unit sleeping peacefully. At least there's something he could be happy of amidst this draining case.  

 
notes

a new enemy has been unlocked! ;)