o2 // sleeping pill

catch him if you can
chapter
02
 

Yerim examined the body closely, taking notes of each lesions she found.

"There are shards of glass, and the seatbelt sign too. Probably a car accident?" Yerim turned to the senior guy who smiled at her.

"That’s right. You figured it out pretty quickly. You're a bright one. I contacted your senior in Jongno. She said you'll be a great help."

Yerim blushed, "Ah.. thank you.. sunbaenim."

"Anyways, I didn't expect you to be Detective Seo's younger sister," Dr. Do said as he picked up a magnifying glass to examine the victim’s hands.

"Must've been the different surname, eh?" Yerim smiled as she examined the joints, noticing the broken joints. There are possibilities the body is folded before it decayed.

"One of them. You also looked quite different, aside from the same eyes."

"Youngho oppa and I have the same mother. His parents divorced when he was small, and his mother married my father, and later on they have me. We're really close to each other, though."

"Yeah, that shows. Anyways, shall we give the tissue sample to the CSI? Ask them to run it down in their system and check if there are any medicine in it."

"Oh, okay. Where can I find the CSI team?" Yerim asked as she disposed her gloves.

"It's on the same floor. Just go left after exiting this morgue. Find Officer Lee. Uhm, never mind, they are twins. Either one of them. Minhyung or Donghyuk. They were the only Lees there."

"Okay, I'll get there," Yerim packed the sample into small tube before sealing it in a zip lock bag before walking out of the morgue to the said CSI office.

She was greeted by a guy whom she recognized as one of the men who carried the body to the morgue.

"Excuse me, I'm Dr. Kim Yerim from Forensic. Dr. Do appointed me to give this sample to Officer Lee."

"Which Lee? There are two. I’m a Lee but—well, you know what, never mind. Come inside," the man smiled.

Yerim blinked in confusion but followed the man anyway.

"I'm Lee Minhyung. Lee number one. And that is Lee Donghyuk my twin brother. We don't look alike, I know. So, where's the sample?" The man led her to his desk where a tanned guy is swiveling around in his chair.

"Oh, new forensic staff! Dr. Park's replacement, huh? Hi! I'm Lee Donghyuk!"

Yerim smiled, "I'm Dr. Kim Yerim," she bowed to the chipper guy as she handed them the tube. She watched in awe as they extracted the sample and putting it in a tube, mixing it with something before putting it to a machine.

"The result will come quick. Our database is regularly updated," Minhyung explained.

Yerim nodded as he watched the computer running. A result seemed to come out because the fraternal twins were both frowning.

"Wow, it's really another medicine. Poor Detective Seo. Wait, Dr. Kim, let me print this out for you and Dr. Do," Donghyuk said.

"This has happened twice, right?" Yerim asked.

"Yes. We don't understand why the killer would give it to Detective Seo. That man doesn't have any enemies, aside from murderers he captured."

"I know. He could barely kill a fly." Yerim nodded.

"Oh, you know Detective Seo?"

"I'm assigned to help his team. And he's my...half-brother," Yerim grinned sheepishly as she accepted the printed result from Minhyung.

"Whoa, cool! Detective Seo has a sister. Anyways, we're his most trusted CSI staffs. Shall you require anything, feel free to come down here," Donghyuk smiled kindly and winked his eye playfully.

Yerim nodded with a chuckle before glancing at the paper. "Midazolam...?"

"Yeah. It's like… sedatives, right?" Donghyuk piped in.

"True. But it broke away from the pattern… Hmm. You know what, thank you for running this for me. I'll have to report back to Dr. Do and my brother. Nice to meet you!" She bid them goodbye before running back to the morgue.

"Dr. Do!"

"Oh, you're back Dr. Kim."

"Yeah... I got the result. It’s... Midazolam."

"Midazolam? I was thinking it would be another CVS drug. I mean, the two previous bodies had CVS drugs in them. I thought that was the pattern," Dr. Do frowned.

"Everyone thought so too, sunbaenim. Should I inform my brother?"

"Yeah sure. File him in. According to the wound profile, it was leading to a car accident but the livor mortis is inconsistent. We need further exam to determine this. Tell him that too. I'm going to open the body now; you can go ahead informing your brother before joining me."

Yerim nodded before stepping out to give his brother a call.

"Oppa!"

"Oh, Rim. Any news?"

"Possible cause of death is car accident. The wounds are consistent to it though the livor mortis is suspicious. We haven't open up the body but that was Dr. Do's and my guess. And then I went to the CSI... the body had Midazolam in it. A big, big amount to the point of near overdosage."

"Isn't that anesthesia? Wait, let me put this on loud speaker so Jay and Doyoung could hear you as well. Yep, continue."

"Right. Well, Midazolam in injection form could be used for anesthetic purpose. We haven't checked the gut yet. If there are residues in his stomach, it's probably taken orally as insomnia medicine. Dr. Do and I are going to open the body now. I'll call you later?"

"Insomnia? So, sleeping pill, huh? Alright. Thanks a lot, Katie Kat. I'll ask the guys to check for possible car crashes in the past week. I'll go downstairs before lunch."

"Sure thing. Take care, oppa," she smiled at the affectionate nickname her brother had for her before she joined Dr. Do who's having a great time sawing off the victim's ribs.

"Can I help, Dr. Do?"

"Sure, sure. I've done opening of the thoracic cage. Please do the organ weighing. You can start down and I'll start from the throat."

Yerim nodded before grabbing a scalpel to start working. To confirm her suspicion, she took another sample from the stomach and the gut, preparing to send it to the CSI.

"GIT sample, Dr. Kim?"

"Yeah. I was just wondering if it's injected Midazolam or ingested one."

"Nice suspicion. Ingested sleeping pill could be a great lead to the car accident."

"That was what I was thinking to, sunbaenim. Midazolam provides sedation. Driving while under sedative influence could be deadly. Meanwhile the onset of injected Midazolam is quicker, so the victim would probably fall asleep without driving far."

Dr. Do smiled. Chief Kim was correct. This new apprentice of him is a bright one that could help the murder investigation better. "

 
notes

hello! it's the second chapter and finally we see dr. kim yerim at work! it's so short i'm sorry because i was caught up with writing my thesis. thankfully i've finished it and i'm just doing minor revisions now so hopefully i could write longer chapters! anyways, thank u for reading commenting subscribing and voting, i really appreciate it!