o12 // all-nighter

catch him if you can
chapter
12
 

"Let's go to your house first," Jaehyun suggested as he drove.

"Sure. My parents are probably asleep so I'll just be quiet later," Yerim shrugged.

After 15 minutes of driving, Jaehyun pulled up at Yerim's residence.

"Oh? The lights are on? It's like… 1 in the morning?" Yerim frowned.

Jaehyun blinked and shrugged as they exited the car. He followed her inside and was met with the sight of her mother in the living room.

"Omo, Yerimie! What are you doing this late? I thought you’ll be staying with your brother. And who is this?"

"Eomma, this is Detective Jung Jaehyun, oppa's partner at work. I have to go and pick up clothes for me and for oppa to change. I might have to stay over at oppa's place too. The case is getting…. Trickier," Yerim said. Her mother blinked confusedly.

"Good evening ma'am, I am Jung Jaehyun, Youngho's work partner. And Yerim's too now," Jaehyun bowed courteously.

"Oh, yes! Right. Come have a seat, I'd like to offer you a drink but I don't think it's possible now..."

“It’s okay, ma’am,” Jaehyun politely answered.

"Anyways, what are you up to at 1 in the morning? I thought you're all asleep?" Yerim asked.

"The water in the sink broke. I was watching movies until late with your father when suddenly we heard sounds on the kitchen. We cleaned up the mess but your father is still working on putting the broken tap back on place."

"You can go upstairs Yerim-sshi. Ma'am, should I help? I live alone so I'm good at fixing things," Jaehyun offered.

"Oh, son, you don't have to. You're a guest—"

"It's okay, ma'am. I am good friends with Youngho and I'd love to help his family since he helped me settle down when I first came," Jaehyun smiled good naturedly.

He brushed Yerim off and followed her mother to the kitchen. When Yerim went down fifteen minutes later in fresh set of clothes and a small suitcase, Jaehyun is conversing lightly with her father.

"Done?" Jaehyun asked as he straightened his posture.

Yerim nodded.

"Princess! Come here. Detective Jung said the case has been difficult but you've been helping a lot," her father beckoned her to come.

Yerim smiled and hugged her father. "Oppa is struggling a lot, he's burdened by this case."

"Help your brother then. Your mom said you'll be staying at his place to finish the case. Make sure he eats properly okay? I swear your brother looks thinner and thinner every time he visits!"

Jaehyun smiled unknowingly. Johnny and Yerim had such a beautiful family. Johnny did mention that Yerim's father is his step father but Jaehyun could see that the old man genuinely cared for Johnny like he's his own son.

"Alright, I'll get going, appa. Oppa is already waiting for me at the hospital."

"Okay. Take care. Jaehyun-sshi, please take care of my children for me, okay? And please do come and visit us, we'd like to meet Youngho's friends!"

Jaehyun bowed politely before going to his car. The road was clear since it's past midnight and Yerim found herself in Jaehyun's neighborhood.

"You live here alone?" She asked curiously as he walked towards a building.

"Yep. Welcome to my humble abode," he grinned as he led her to a set of stairs leading to an oktabbang space.

"Oh, an oktabbang?"

Jaehyun nodded.

"You could easily afford a nice apartment. Why an oktabbang?"

"Because I got this? And look at the night view. Late night drinking soju outside… you should try it sometimes and you'll understand why I insisted on staying on this place," he grinned before opening the door.

Yerim took off her shoes and sat on the couch hesitantly.

"Make yourself comfortable. I'm going to pick up some clothes. If you want something to drink, feel free to raid my fridge," he said casually as he went to his wardrobe.

Yerim chose to stay on her spot and spent her time examining her surroundings.

"I'm done. Let's go. They must've been waiting," Jaehyun smiled.

___

Yerim yawned as she entered the hospital. It's a little past 2 and her eyes are begging to be rested.

"Oh, you guys came back. Took you long enough."

Yerim looked up to see her brother near a vending machine.

"I thought you should be asleep," she frowned.

"I just woke up. Doyoung is still asleep. Officer Hyun woke up a few minutes ago, like you said, pretty much disoriented. His mind is foggy and he's barely conscious. He's sleeping again, we'll be able to interview him tomorrow," Youngho shrugged as he popped open a can of cider.

"Anyways, you guys took awfully long."

"We went to your parents' home. The pipe in your sink broke or something so I helped your father fix it," Jaehyun explained as he took a seat next to a deeply sleeping Doyoung.

"Thanks a lot, Jay. By the way, Officer Lee Jeno came to give us CCTV footages from the apartment, aside from the tampered CCTV that we plant outside Shim Yonghee's unit," Youngho said.

"Really? I brought my laptop. Should I check it out?" Jaehyun replied as he rummaged through his backpack. Yerim plopped next to him and passed him a flash disk from her brother.

"I'll stay near Officer Hyun's bed. You guys can rest here. Don't push yourself too hard, Jay. Jeno brought me my laptop, I'll go watch some of the footages as well," Youngho waved before going inside the ER.

"You can sleep, I'm not too sleepy, I'll go watch the CCTV footages," Jaehyun said to Yerim.

"I'll be fine. I'll sleep when I fell asleep. Let's watch the footages together," she insisted.

Jaehyun nodded before plugging the USB device. So far, they haven't seen anything suspicious.

"Wait, rewind a bit… see? There? Using black padded jacket and black cap, entering through the back door!" Yerim said as she pointed to the screen.

Jaehyun zoomed in and nodded before taking a screenshot. This must've been the man.

"He's quite tall and lean. Must've been easy for him to incapacitate Officer Hyun. He's at least a head taller than him," Jaehyun mused.

"Let's find clearer footages," Yerim said.

Jaehyun browsed through the folders inside the flash disk, finding the footages that belong to the CCTV in front of the elevator.

"The man doesn't take the elevator. He took the emergency stairs" he sighed.

"And?"

"They don't install CCTVs there. ."

"Let's not give up. Are there any footages from CCTV on the third floor?"

"The man hacked the CCTV on the third floor. We can only rely on Officer Hyun's testimony once he wakes up."

"Ah, . But, how did he take Shim Yonghee out? No one in the lobby noticed?"

"That's weird yes. Let's fast forward and examined the footages from the lobby," Jaehyun nodded in resolution.

Jaehyun spent an hour flipping through footages in desperation. There were deleted clips. The murderer did an awesome hacking job.

"He ing hacked into the system," Jaehyun groaned.

He was about to complain when he felt a sudden weight on his left shoulder.

A smile graced his lips when he was greeted by Yerim's sleeping face.

"So much about wanting to stay awake. You ended up falling asleep," Jaehyun mused as he focused back to his laptop.

Just then he saw Doyoung stirred awake.

"Awake, Doy?" Doyoung blinked his eyes, surprised to see Jaehyun and a peacefully sleeping Yerim.

"How long did I fall asleep?" He yawned.

"Probably 2 hours? You were already asleep when Yerim and I arrived."

"What is that?" Doyoung glanced at Jaehyun's laptop screen.

"CCTV footages from Officer Lee Jeno."

"Got something out of it? Gosh, I felt awful."

"Go grab some drinks to freshen up. I managed to see the murderer profile. Someone tall and lean, like Johnny? A bit shorter maybe. But definitely taller than Officer Hyun."

"That's a good enough clue."

"It is."

"Doctor Kim is asleep?" Doyoung glanced to see Yerim who was leaning against Jaehyun's shoulder cozily.

"Yeah."

"Alright. I think I want to go to the rest room to freshen up. You brought me clothes, right? Where's Johnny?"

"With Officer Hyun. Go ahead, the clothes are on that bag. I'll be here until the morning."

"Then Officer Hyun will be safe. Catch some sleep, we'll have a long day when Officer Hyun wakes up," Doyoung smiled, patting the younger guy's shoulder before leaving.

Jaehyun nodded. Once Doyoung left, he carefully closed his laptop shut and shoved it inside his backpack. He reached for his coat inside his backpack, fixing it over Yerim's body and his before closing his eyes. He could use some shut eye.

___

Johnny needed some energy drink break. Stretching his back, he went outside to the vending machine. He paused when he saw the scene in the vacant waiting room of the two people asleep on the waiting chairs peacefully. He smiled before fixing the coat around their bodies. He's glad Jay and Kate got along well. He's worried his beloved little sister will not fit in well with his closest friends but it seems like he worries for nothing. Smiling to himself, he walked to the vending machine and purchased a Red bull, completely oblivious to the tall man smirking from behind the stairs.  

 
notes

hello:)

i came with a pretty short filler chapter. so, yeah, shim yonghee hasn't been found and the sole witness (the officer who guarded her) was still in a hospital bed.

what shall happen next? ;)