o5 // house search (double update! check previous chapter first!)

catch him if you can
chapter
05
 

""Our theory was right. The Midazolam tablet would take effect after an hour. He must've ingested them an hour before he came to pick up Tae Hyunsook. We should contact the victim's agency then, to figure out if anyone knows if the victim's taking any medication," Yerim suggested.

"Yes. We should head to the victim's apartment now," Youngho nodded.

The drive from the publishing company to the victim apartment took approximately ten minutes only.

"Where do they went drinking again?" Jaehyun asked.

"In a samgyupsal restaurant across the company. Why?" Doyoung asked.

"How long does it take to drive from the company to his house?" Jaehyun asked again as he wrote something down on his notebook.

"Less than ten minutes."

Jaehyun nodded as he jotted down more information on his notebook. He closed his eyes for a few seconds as he made some mental calculation.

"So, if the victim walked from his apartment to the company, it will take him at least 15 minutes. And then the drive to Mr. Tae's neighborhood, probably 15 minutes as well. The total is 30 minutes. How long does it take for Midazolam to take effect again?" Jaehyun turned to Yerim.

"Around an hour, since he took such a large amount, maybe a little less than that," Yerim answered.

"So, it's safe for us to predict that the victim took the pills half an hour before he went to take the driving job. It matched the timeline. The effect of the drug will be on full force when our victim was doing his job. Let's just go in first and see if we can find anything else," Jaehyun nodded as he opened the car door and stepped out, waiting for Yerim to exit as well.

"What floor is his apartment?" Doyoung asked as they entered the building.

"Fifth floor. Let's go to the security first," Youngho nodded.

"Good morning, sir. I'm Detective Seo Youngho from Seoul Yeongdeungpo Police Station and I came with my team. We have a warrant to search inside unit 502."

"Mr. Son's room?" The security asked as he looked at a book, probably containing the list of the tenants' names.

"Yes. Son Yiho. He was found as a murder victim yesterday."

"M-murder?! But we haven't seen him for days! We thought he went home to his parents," the old male said.

"We'd like to investigate further, then. Can we enter the unit? We have a search warrant," Youngho showed the old man the warrant.

"A-alright. Let's go upstairs."

The four people followed the security guard up to the fifth floor where he opened up the unit using his key.

"Doyoung, try to get statements from the security guy. See if he knew anything about our victim. I'll go back downstairs to see the management and ask about other tenants. Jay, Kate... you two are the most observant. Check inside the unit okay?" Youngho divided their task and the three nodded.

Jaehyun entered the apartment first as Yerim stood at the doorway, memorizing how the apartment looked.

"It's definitely a bachelor pad. Look at his stuffs. God," Yerim shook her head.

Jaehyun grinned, "Hey, don’t stereotype. My apartment doesn't always look like this. Oh, well, but your brother on the other hand…"

Yerim grinned, "A little messy. I knew. Anyway, shall we start at the victim's room?"

She put on her gloves before entering the room. She scanned the room, memorizing how it looks. Jaehyun approached a magnetic board at the corner where the victim stuck on many notes.

"He's a solo replacement driver. He had no agency," Jaehyun mused as he saw several stickers and pamphlets containing the victim's information.

Yerim approached the table and picked up a journal, reading through it meticulously. "He graduated from Sungkyunkwan. He's quite smart then. He used to live in Miami for 6 years. He's just starting his career here," Yerim said.

Yerim gasped suddenly.

"What?"

"Wow, the man wrote his journal in English!" Yerim exclaimed.

 "Wait, let me write that down," Jaehyun said as he began scribbling on his notes.

"He's also a freelance translator," Yerim stated again.

"How is he related to our previous three victims, huh," Jaehyun sighed, reading his notes.

"Let me check his med box, see if he's taking Midazolam or any medication," Yerim said as she went inside his bathroom. She found some standard over the counter cold and indigestion medication, but no sedatives. 

"He's forced to ingest it then. How could the culprit do it, huh?" Jaehyun muttered as he examined the victim's desk.

Just then Doyoung entered the unit.

"Got anything, guys?"

"A little. What do you have?" Jaehyun asked back.

"Well, our victim is a friendly guy. His parents live in Daegu, and he used to live in the States. He sometimes tutored English to kids in this apartment. He's basically a good guy. The security guy said the last time he saw our victim was before he picked up Mr. Tae. Our timestamp is correct."

"Then, he must've ingested the drugs here. Within his residence," Yerim nodded.

"The security guy said that our victim had a coffee and a talk with a client. Possibly for his translating job. They were talking about journals and stuff. The security guy didn't have the CCTV footage that showed the mystery client's face since they're talking while standing in front of the parking lot. The security guy also forgot the man's face but he remembered the body proportion."

"Really?"

"Yeah. The man looked like he's in his fifties, quite tall like around my height, and he looked smart and dapper. His hair is white due to age. That was all."

Jaehyun nodded as he finished taking notes. Youngho came five minutes later with data regarding the apartment's tenants.

"John. Done?" Jaehyun asked.

"Yeah. The victim's a pretty sociable person and everyone seemed to know that he's a replacement driver. He didn't belong to any agency. He kind of just promoted himself and stuck stickers everywhere," Youngho said as he showed them a pamphlet.

"We saw lots of those in his bedroom earlier," Yerim piped up.

"Shall we go back to the precinct and try to connect the dots?"

"Yeah. Sure. Let's buy some lunch on the way. I'm starving."

__

Yerim entered the precinct following the three guys who were talking among themselves while carrying their food order. They decided to go to the nearest Lotteria drive-thru and buy some burgers and cheese fries for lunch.

"Let's eat lunch I'm starving~" Doyoung sing-songed as they entered the meeting room.

"Aren't the others going to be mad that we're using this room often?" Yerim asked curiously.

Youngho smiled as he handed her a burger. "Nah. There are two meeting rooms. Taeyong and Jungwoo mainly deal with crimes and narcs, they used the other meeting room usually since it's closer to the narcotics division."

"Detective Kim used to be in their team, right?" Yerim turned to Doyoung.

"I was originally working in the Guro precinct as a homicide detective. Taeyong hyung was promoted to team leader and his other partner became the chief in another precinct. I moved here to fill in his place. After Jungwoo came, I was transferred to Johnny's team since it was more of my specialty," Doyoung answered as he shook the bag containing the fries to mix the cheese powder.

"How was it working in Jongno?" Jaehyun asked as he took a bite of his bulgogi burger.

"Meh. Boring. Not so many cases. Sometimes I felt useless," Yerim shrugged.

"So, you like it because you can deal with more corpses here?"

Yerim grinned and nodded her head.

"I can't wrap my head on how a girl like you could love dealing with corpses. Even Dr. Park once said she regretted being a forensic specialist," Doyoung shook his head.

"It was fun. And it felt rewarding when I can help people using my knowledge. I initially didn't want to become a forensic specialist when I went to Med school, but then I fell in love with the art of forensics and decided to pursue a career in it."

"Aren't you afraid of the cadavers and corpses? I mean, I dealt with them all the time and sometimes I still got spooked," Youngho said.

"Especially the decayed one like we got this past few months," Jaehyun shuddered.

"I'm used to cadavers. Do you know that we have to pass a courage test during our university orientation?" She beamed, wanting to tell the guys her spooky experiences.

"What? You have such things?"

"Uh uh, we do. We were told to enter the anatomy room. One person at a time. We have to stay there for thirty minutes. The lights are all turned off and we only have a flashlight. There were around fifteen cadavers in…. various conditions. It was sort of a treasure hunt game where we have to find clues inside the cadaver and use it to solve a problem once we exited the room."

"Sounds fun, but it must've felt the other way around. Whoa, If I were you, I'd probably pissed my pants," Doyoung grimaced.

"It was a bit scary at first. But well… they're also humans like us. They're just dead. And…. severed. But they are humans too! And finding clues were fun. We have to dug our hands inside the body to find clues and it felt a bit wacky at first but once I got the hang of it, I enjoyed the process," Yerim shrugged.

"Your sister is hardcore," Doyoung shuddered.

"So, working at the morgue alone is fine with you?" Youngho asked.

Yerim nodded, "Of course."

The three guys shuddered, the new forensic doctor is definitely a unique addition for their team! .

 
notes

fun fact: yes, in the past, way back then in indonesia, they used to make freshmen went inside the anatomy room and made it into some kind of haunted/spooky activity. nowadays, we don't do that anymore since the cadavers are essentially our teacher too. we learn from them, thus, we have to respect them.

and yes, i love anatomy so much! it's difficult and it has a heck ton of things to memorize but it's very helpful.

anyways, thankyou for reading this story!