o13 // aqua pharmacy

catch him if you can
chapter
13
 

Yerim blinked her eyes open and looked around, finding none of the detective boys around. She noticed the coat draped around her, immediately recognizing the distinct cologne smell. It must've been Detective Jung's.

"Oh, you're awake."

She whipped her head to see Jaehyun smiling with a plastic bag on his hands.

"What time is it?"

"A little past 6. Doyoung went to Shim Yonghee's apartment. Johnny is still next to Officer Hyun. The man just woke up and is eating breakfast. We'll interview him after this."

"Oh God, I slept for too long. Anyway, what about you?"

"I woke up like forty minutes ago. I went to the convenience store and bought some sandwiches and milk for breakfast."

"Let me wash my face first then," Yerim stretched her back before reaching for her overnight bag. When she came back from the restroom ten minutes later, Jaehyun is unwrapping a sandwich.

"Here," he smiled as he offered her one while she took a seat next to him.

"Thanks."

He shrugged and smiled, his dimples showing.

She took a small bite of the donkatsu sandwich, savoring the taste.

"Hey, guys, Officer Hyun is awake." Yerin crumpled the plastic wrapping of her sandwich when her brother came into view.

"Really? Let's go see him."

Jaehyun brushed off his hands on his jeans and nodded. He followed the siblings and watched from the sideline as Youngho opened the curtain to reveal Officer Hyun who was sitting on his bed. He looks a lot better and his face had gained color.

"Detective Jung, Dr. Kim," the man greeted.

"How are you feeling, Officer Hyun?" Jaehyun asked as he approached him.

"Much better, Detective. Thank you for calling the ambulance on time."

"You gotta thank Dr. Kim for that. She even checked your vitals and reported things in details for the EMS," Jaehyun smiled.

"Oh, thank you so much, Dr. Kim!"

Yerim smiled, "It's okay."

"Anyways, Officer Hyun, do you remember what happened before you were attacked?" Youngho asked.

"I was just reporting to you, Detective Seo. I was usually stationed inside the apartment, in the living room. That night I stepped outside to take a call and Miss Shim was crying. She was in a super depressed mood lately, mostly because of her ex-boyfriend and the whole potential murder victim ordeal. She asked for privacy so I stepped outside, and I got a call too at that time. I was outside for less than five minutes!"

"Okay. Then, how did you get attacked?"

"I heard someone calling me. Not my name, but he said excuse me. I turned around and the person covered my face with… a hand towel? Or a thick hankie. I wasn't sure. It took only a few seconds for me to be unconscious."

"Do you remember the face?"

"He was tall. Taller than me. Like.. Detective Jung tall. Only a few inches shorter than Detective Seo. He has a lean figure too. He was wearing a black mask so I only got to see his eyes."

"Any special feature about the man?"

"He was wearing a cap so I didn't get to see much about his features. I think he has black hair. His eyes are common looking, he had no scar or mole around his eyes."

Jaehyun nodded, taking notes. He observed Officer Hyun while he talked. The man was telling the truth.

"Can I ask him some questions too?" Yerim piped in.

"Sure, go ahead, Kate," Youngho shrugged.

"Uhm.. Officer Hyun. Detective Jung found a used razor blade and some blood traces inside Miss Shim's bathroom. Does Miss Shim show any self-harming tendencies?"

Jaehyun perked up.

Self-harm?

"Self-harm?" Youngho and Jaehyun said simultaneously.

"Yes. The CSI said they only found Shim Yonghee's fingerprints on the razor. The blood was also Shim Yonghee's. Officer Hyun mentioned she was depressed. Self-harming acts can be found sometimes on patients with major depression disorder," Yerim explained.

"I don't know Dr. Kim. Miss Shim wasn't that talkative so I couldn't figure out much. She also wore mostly long-sleeved clothing so I can't see if she had any marks on her arms."

"On her legs?"

"She does wear shorts and skirts often but there were no scars or marks. At least none in the visible areas," Officer Hyun explained.

Yerim nodded. "And one more thing. Miss Shim is consuming medications for her depression, right?"

"Yes. I drove her to the psychiatrist and to a pharmacy this week."

"Can you tell the name of the clinic and the pharmacy?"

"It wasn't a clinic but a private practice place. It's pretty packed, a lot of people went to consult to that psychiatrist. Dr. Choi Hayoon is her name. Her office is located not far from that famous Mexican restaurant," Officer Hyun said.

"I'll contact one of my med school friends who's a psychiatrist. Maybe she knew this doctor so we can confirm if that person is legit or not," Yerim nodded.

"Oh, and the pharmacy is close to the precinct!" Officer Hyun added.

"Near the precinct? Did you mean Aqua Pharmacy?" Jaehyun asked.

"Yes! Aqua Pharmacy!"

"Hey, we've been there before, right? When we bought a bruise cream for Detective Kim!" Yerim spoke up.

"Ah, right! It seems like a legit pharmacy," Jaehyun said.

"Go visit the pharmacy then. Ask around. I'll ask Officer Hyun some more questions myself," Youngho said.

"Sure. Yerim-sshi?"

"Coming with you. Let's go."

___

Jaehyun opened the door to the pharmacy and stepped aside so Yerim could enter first. No one greeted them since the two pharmacists seen behind the counters were all busy handling customers. Jaehyun noticed the man who served them last time so he pulled Yerim to queued in that line.

"Welcome to Aqua Pharmacy, how may I help you?" The man behind the counter, Jaewon his name, asked tiredly albeit trying to put a friendly expression on his face.

Jaehyun flipped out his badge and smiled, "Hello, Jaewon-sshi. I'm Detective Jung Jaehyun and this is my partner Forensic Doctor, Dr. Kim Yerim from Seoul Yongdeungpo Police Station. We went here last time to buy some bruise cream but today we're here to ask you some questions."

Most customers had begun filing out of the pharmacy aside from a few people still talking to the other pharmacist.

"Oh, yeah, Detective. Sure."

"May I have your name?"

"Kim Jaewon, sir."

"Okay, Mr. Kim. We're here to ask about one of your customers. Shim Yonghee."

"Uhm, I'm sorry Detective, but this place is pretty packed so I don't really remember customer names."

"It's okay. We have a picture," Jaehyun smiled, showing the man a picture from his phone.

"Uhm, she does look familiar but I don't think I served her that time. Maybe Mr. Seo was the one who served her."

"Mr. Seo?"

"Seo Jiwon, the owner of this pharmacy. I was just his assistant. The man right there," Kim Jaewon pointed to the other pharmacist.

"Can you call him here for us?" Jaehyun asked politely.

"Sure, the last customer is paying anyway. Oh wait, he's done! Mr. Seo!"

"What's wrong, Won-ah? Any difficulty reading prescriptions?" The middle-aged man in white coat asked.

"Ah, no, sir. These are officers from the Youngdeungpo precinct."

"Oh? How may I help you, Detectives?"

Jaehyun smiled and flashed the older man his badge, "I'm Detective Jung Jaehyun and this is Dr. Kim Yerim. I was asking about one of your customers, Shim Yonghee."

"Uhm, I don't know if Jaewon told you but--"

"Ah, yes. Too many customers to remember, right? I do have a picture, sir. Do you recognize her?"

Mr. Seo fixed the position of the wire rimmed glasses on his eyes before looking closely at Jaehyun's phone.

"Ah! Yes! I've seen her here once. I don't remember what she bought though. I'm sorry, I'm already nearly 60 so I forgot little things easily. Wait, let me check my computer."

"She came here on May 31st," Yerim added.

"Okay, please wait a second. Won-ah, please give our Detectives some drink!"

Kim Jaewon the assistant went to grab to small bottle of waters, offering it to Jaehyun and Yerim who thanked him.

"May 31st, Shim Yonghee.. Ah, she bought a bottle of antidepressant that day!"

"That's right. Fluoxetine, right?" Yerim asked.

"Yes. I believe that's it. It's written in our transaction record. What's wrong?"

"We found out that her medicine has been swapped. We found Alteplase instead of Fluoxetine inside the bottle."

"Alteplase? That's not antidepressant. That's for people with heart disease," Mr. Seo furrowed his brows.

"We knew that, Mr. Seo. That's why we're asking you."

"We have CCTVs there, detectives. Do you want access of the footages? We never swap medicine here, it's against our ethics as pharmacists," Mr. Seo said.

"Yes, detective. We are very trusted by our customers, you see we have a lot of customers yourself," Kim Jaewon added.

"We'll be delighted to have those footages sir."

"Wait, I'll copy the footages first. Do you want to come and see it?"

Jaehyun nodded and went behind the counter. Mr. Seo and Kim Jaewon both didn't look too suspicious and Mr. Seo was willingly helping. Jaehyun watched as Mr. Seo browsed through his folders, sending an entire folder of footages from May 31st to a flash disk.

"This is it, Detective Jung. You are always welcome to come here and question us," Mr. Seo said as he handed the flash disk to Jaehyun.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Seo, Mr. Kim. We appreciated your help. We'll leave now, thank you so much and have a nice day," Jaehyun bowed, followed suit by Yerim.

They rode Jaehyun's car back to the precinct and went straight to Jaehyun's desk to watch the footages. Both Doyoung and Youngho were not in the office.

"Alright, let's get watching." Yerim nodded and sat on the chair next to Jaehyun. The man in PC and plugged the flash disk into it.

"Wow, so many footages. May 31st, right? When did she went to the pharmacy? Shall I call Johnny oppa? I mean he had that GPS tracking thingy..."

"Yeah, that'll be great."

Yerim quickly fish out her phone and hit her brother's number which was already on her speed dial.

"Hello dear brother!"

"Hi Katie Kat. What's wrong? Aren't you with Jay?"

"Yes, I'm with him. Anyways we went to the pharmacy and got their CCTV footages. Do you remember what time did Shim Yonghee went to the pharmacy?"

"Huh? Wait, let me just ask Officer Hyun. Well, Kate, he said they left the pharmacy a few minutes before lunch so around… 11?"

"Great, that's enough information. Thanks a lot, oppa. Are you going to stay at the hospital?"

"No, Officer Hyun was just being discharged, I was completing the administration. After dropping him home I'll go straight to the precinct. We only have 2 more days."

"Alright, see you soon. Please remember I'll be crashing at your place tonight."

"Okay,sweetie. I'll hang up now."

Yerim closed her phone and turned to Jaehyun, "Around eleven said Officer Hyun."

"Oh? Okay. Let's start at 11."

"But they left the pharmacy a few minutes before 12. So… how about 11.30?"

"Good idea. 11.30 it is."

Jaehyun opened a folder and fast forward the video until the 11.30 mark. He fast forwards a couple more times, stopping at 11.42 when Shim Yonghee entered the pharmacy with Officer Hyun behind her.

"Look, it's her. Jaewon-sshi was right, Mr. Seo was the one who served her."

Jaehyun nodded silently and focused on watching the video. He saw the pharmacist reading the prescription that Shim Yonghee brought and nodding along. He went to a big shelf near the counter, before grabbing a small box. He brought it over to Shim Yonghee and the two of them share a talk. Shim Yonghee was seen nodding and Mr. Seo wrote something on a piece of paper.

"Is that drug instruction notes?"

"Probably. Usually pharmacists did that so that the patients will remember the instructions," Yerim nodded.

There was nothing wrong about their interactions and after Shim Yonghee paid using her card, she left and Mr. Seo moved to serve another customer.

"I don't know why but he's a bit suspicious. But I don't know why."

"Huh? Well, he seemed like a normal pharmacist to me but you're the observant one so I left the judging part to you then," Yerim shrugged.

"But he seemed relaxed and confidence so it's hard to judge. People usually gave away signs when they're anxious, especially if they're hiding an information as big as murder."

"That made sense. But he didn't show signs of being nervous or anxious?"

"He showed a certain sign, just like Jaewon-sshi did. But that's probably because they're being interrogated. Normal people would be a bit nervous too when someone from law enforcement talk to them," Jaehyun explained.

"Okay… Shall we keep a close eye on him and Jaewon then?"

"That's a wise choice. For now."

___

"I have an idea," Doyoung spoke up.

"Spill."

"You mentioned that you're suspicious of Aqua Pharmacy, right?"

Jaehyun nodded as he twirled his pen. There's less than two days left. They haven't got any lead. They're left with nothing to do and he's getting antsy. Johnny is always whisked away and pressed by the higher-ups. The tension is thick.

"What about you visit the pharmacy again. But this time, pretend you're buying something. Spend time to observe this suspicious guy."

Yerim perked up from the game of minesweeper she was playing on Jaehyun's PC.

"That seems like a solid idea, Detective Kim."

"I don't oppose," Jaehyun shrugged.

"I'll go with you. I'm bored," Yerim muttered and groaned when she landed on yet another mine.

"You definitely at the game, Dr. Kim," Doyoung chuckled.

"Jaehyun-sshi didn't have any entertainment on his PC!"

"You're not playing with bodies downstairs? Now that I've think about it, you're always here bugging Jay up."

"Not that I mind," Jaehyun shrugged indifferently.

"Dr. Do is being borrowed by the KNPA. There are no new bodies. I'm bored. Jaehyun-sshi provided me with entertainment. And occasionally you and my brother," Yerim shrugged.

"Which brought me to the next topic. You called your brother oppa and Jay as Jaehyun-sshi. Why am I still Detective Kim? Aren't we close enough now?" Doyoung protested.

Yerim rolled her eyes, "You called me Dr. Kim!"

"Fine, I'll call you Kate from now on," Doyoung childishly stuck out his tongue.

"Okay, okay, since both of you had taken the act of being two additional annoying brothers aside from my own annoying brother, I'll take the liberty of calling you both oppa as well. For the sake of keeping the team closer," Yerim lifted her arms in defeat.

"Nice! I have a little sister to annoy now! Well, now go fake some disease and observe the pharmacy, sissy!" Doyoung grinned and ruffled Yerim's bangs, causing the girl to yelp loudly Jaehyun laughed and grabbed his coat, "Come on, Rim. Ignore that big bully."

___

"So, what medicine do we need today?" Yerim asked as they walked to the pharmacy.

"Yerim, you do know that you're more knowledgeable than me in that field, right?"

Yerim grinned and nodded. The bell chimed as they entered the pharmacy.

"Welcome to—Oh, detectives!"

Jaehyun kept a straight face as Kim Jaewon the assistant pharmacist greeted them. He glanced at Mr. Seo who was busy dealing with customer.

"Here for another questioning?" Jaewon asked.

"Nope!" Yerim grinned.

"So?"

Jaehyun noticed Mr. Seo was stealing glances at them so he moved to stand next to Yerim.

"I'm here to buy medicine!"

Jaehyun frowned. Yerim seemed too chipper to be acting as someone who needs medicine.

"You don't look sick, ma'am…" Jaewon blinked.

"Oh, not for me. As you can see here, my partner,"

Jaehyun jolted when Yerim pulled him closer, "Has been having indigestion since last night. We ate too much tangsuyuk last night watching CCTV footages!"

Jaehyun inwardly groaned. Way to go, Kim Yerim.

"You sure it's indigestion?"

Jaehyun turned when he heard Mr. Seo's voice.

"Yeah! I pricked his thumb last night. He got better but he didn't listen to me and ate too much for breakfast so he suffered again," Yerim lied smoothly.

Jaehyun pretended to grin and nod, although his grin looked more like a grimace which made his act a tad bit more believable.

"Oh, that's too bad. You do look like you're in pain. Wait, let me get a tonic for that. It should relieve the abdominal discomfort pretty quickly," Jaewon said before moving on and about trying to find the so-called tonic.

Jaehyun leaned against the counter, pretending to double over and kept a tight lip, while Yerim played the part as a sympathetic partner, patting his shoulder and all. Jaehyun took the chance to observe Mr. Seo. He seemed pretty nonchalant. Jaehyun kept his act as Mr. Seo approached them.

"How's the investigation going, Detectives?" He asked kindly.

"Not too bad. His indigestion does go in our way a bit but we're doing fine," Yerim answered lightly. 

"Does the CCTV footage help?"

Jaehyun looked at the man's face carefully. There's something about him that strike as suspicious but Jaehyun couldn't really point his finger on what.

"It helped, Mr. Seo. Thank you for generously giving it to us yesterday."

"What happened to Miss Shim Yonghee? Is she okay?"

Yerim shrugged indefinitely, not knowing how to answer but she tried to play it cool.

"Has she been found?"

Jaehyun gulped. They never said about Shim Yonghee going missing. This is weird.

"Uhm… she's not missing? How do you get the idea?" Jaehyun asked quietly, still keeping on the act of being indigested. He observed the change in Mr. Seo's expression.

Was it… mild panic?

"Ah, I was just assuming. Since you guys seemed like you were tracking her," Mr. Seo laughed.

Jaehyun pretended to awkwardly chuckle while holding his stomach. Yerim turned to him, understanding him.

"This is the tonic!" Jaewon came to rescue them from the awkward situation.

"How much is it?" Yerim asked, ready to pull out her wallet.

"3200 won."

Jaehyun held her wrist and reached for his pocket, grabbing four 1000 won bills and putting in on the counter.

"Keep the change. I gotta hit the bathroom real quick. Come on, Rim," Jaehyun pretended to wince and pulled the stunned Yerim out of the pharmacy, not forgetting to grab the damned indigestion tonic with him.  

 
notes

hi, everyone! i'm finally coming with the thirteenth chapter. it's a big development of a 3k~ish words compared to the last chapter.

starting from this chapter, things will only escalate;)

anyways, thank you for reading! stay safe everyone!