o10 // not our killer

catch him if you can
chapter
10
 

"Welcome to--Oh! Yerim! Youngho-sshi!"

Jaehyun and Doyoung blinked upon entering the pastel colored cafe and watched as a petite woman haul Yerim into her embrace.

When they parted they noticed the woman immediately. Chief Kim Joonmyun's wife, Bae Joohyun.

"I hope you don't mind me bringing my oppa and his detective friends here, unnie."

"Not at all! Grab a spot to sit, I'll come back soon with the menu," the woman smiled and Yerim led the three boys into a table.

"Isn't that Chief Kim's wife?" Doyoung asked as Youngho laughed, finally getting a clue on what his sister was thinking.

"Yes. She owned this cafe," Yerim nodded.

Just then a tall girl with blazing yellow hair came to take their order. "Yerim-ah, long time no see! Youngho oppa, you too. I see you guys bringing friends along. Good!"

"Guys, this is Sooyoung, my friend," Yerim smiled.

"Hi," Doyoung grinned at the charming woman, followed with Jaehyun who just bowed his head.

Yerim fluidly recited their order and turned back to the three men.

"So, what's your plan?"

"Chief Kim always went here to pick his wife up after work. I say Youngho to feign surprise to see him here and ask him randomly about the request. Make sure Joohyun unnie is nearby, pretend to be discreet but make sure she listened. She has a soft spot for me and you, oppa, it'll work," Yerim grinned.

"I can't believe we're going in this direction," Youngho groaned.

"It's time for you to put your dramatic to good use. Brush up your acting skill," Yerim shrugged and smiled when Sooyoung came with 4 cups of coffee.

"What are you waiting for, John? That's the chief," Doyoung grinned.

They all watched as their chief greeted his wife with kiss on the cheek and a sweet little hug, causing Yerim to swoon and for Doyoung to gag. Youngho looked far more concerned about asking his chief about Shim Yonghee rather than observing his love life. And Jaehyun? Simply observing his friends.

"Honey, Yerim and the detectives from your place is here!" Joohyun tapped her husband's arm and Joonmyun turned around to see his 3 bright detectives bowing their head awkwardly and a chirpy looking Yerim.

"Fancy seeing you guys here, well, except Dr. Kim. You're a regular here for years," he smiled.

"We were just passing by, Chief. And I seriously missed Joohyun unnie's coffee and macarons. It tasted way better than the one from the bakery near the precinct!" Yerim grinned.

Jaehyun let out a small smile. The 'just passing by' past was clearly a lie, Jaehyun could see Yerim's lips twitching as she said that. But the coffee and macaron things were genuine since she was sincerely devouring them.

"Really? Keep coming here then, good for my economy," Chief Kim joked as he sat naturally next to Youngho.

"Anyways, Chief, we got some new info," Doyoung decided to speak up.

"Hm? About the case? Eh, oh, thanks sweetheart," he smiled when his wife came with a cup of coffee for him. Youngho waited for the older guy to take a sip before explaining.

"Kind of? Shim Yonghee, one of our potential targets, has an abusive ex--"

"You told me that in the meeting already, Youngho. Asking for extra security won't work. The directors already complained about our budgeting," Chief Kim sighed.

"We have CCTV footages, of her ex slapping her. We need to be suspicious of him," Youngho insisted, trying to pull off a pleading look. Doyoung nodded and Jaehyun glanced at Joohyun who looked concerned when his husband had a stern face and his 3 subordinates looking anxious.

So Jaehyun jumped in and pulled the best kicked puppy look he could muster without damaging his manly pride. Yerim grinned when he saw the three thirty something men trying to up their Chief.

As if fate, Joohyun came with pastries. "You guys looked tense," Joohyun said calmly.

"Yeah, unnie. One of our potential victims has an abusive ex and is currently a target of a murder. Can you imagine that? Poor girl," Yerim said dejectedly.

"What? That's scary! Domestic violence is a huge concern nowadays. Did you guys put her in a protection program? It's not safe, being her," Joohyun said.

"See? Chief? I just don't want to deal with another body popping up in our precinct. Better safe than sorry," Johnny nodded.

Joohyun shuddered at his sentence, "Listen to these young detectives, honey. He was right. Ah, poor, poor victim girl..." she trailed and patted her husband's back before disappearing to take an order.

Chief Kim exhaled loudly, "Fine, I'll ask the directors first. It might not be easy. This is not your primary concern, please focus on the--"

"Murder. We know, Chief. We collaborated with VCU to find out more about the abusive ex," Johnny nodded.

"Alright, keep looking then,” the chief nodded.

Yerim grinned and winked at her brother.

I can't believe it worked!, Doyoung silently mouthed to Yerim with a surprised look.

Yerim winked playfully at him.

Jaehyun smiled contentedly. Dr. Kim Yerim really has useful tricks up her sleeves.

___

Yerim glanced at the desk calendar in her office.

May 31st.

Time is ticking. And she felt restless.

She stood up and decided, she'll just bug the three detectives. Luck was not really on her side because when she went upstairs, the three lads were nowhere to be found. She checked the meeting rooms and the pantry, zilch.

She her cellphone, wanting to call her brother or Jaehyun when she heard Detective Kim Doyoung's signature boisterous laughter.

"Dr. Kim Yerim," he grinned as he greeted her.

"Where's the others?" She asked.

"Jay's dealing with Shim Yonghee's case. He's meeting with the VCU upstairs. Johnny's out and about, the precinct finally allowed to give Shim Yonghee extra security details. An officer will tail her around for now," Doyoung explained.

"And you?" Yerim raised a brow in a playful manner and Doyoung laughed. "I was visiting Han Seungyeon. She seemed fine, nothing too weird, unlike Shim Yonghee's case where she's being constantly haunted by that bastard ex of hers. I double checked the CCTV footages of her place and search the perimeter--everything's normal."

"That's ...good to hear."

"I know. But that doesn't mean we can slack. We're dividing tasks right now. Johnny's still squirming his ways with the chief and the directors on his neck. Jay's taking care of Shim Yonghee and I got Han Seungyeon in my hands."

"Should I be concerned about Kim Ayoung then?" Yerim asked and Doyoung smiled kindly at her.

"You don't have to. It's not on your job description to keep tabs on targets like this. It's my job, your brother's job, and Jay's job. You've done your part well, even helping us piece the puzzle together," Doyoung patted her shoulders.

He might have only known her for a few weeks, but he had grown fond of the spunky doctor who was Johnny's sister. Doyoung had an older brother, but he always wanted a little sister. So Yerim reminded him of a little sister he wanted to protect. He kind of understand why Johnny seemed to be worried about her a lot and why Jay's been sticking close to her. She's a gem.

"I just want to help. I was dragged to this precinct, to this exact unit and exact team to be a form of help," Yerim sulked.

Unbeknownst to the two people, Jaehyun had already finished his discussion with the VCU and was heading downstairs when he heard their conversation. As expected of the little lioness Kim Yerim. She had a fire within her and Jaehyun's not sure if someone could extinguish it. She was more than pumped up to work and solve this case once and for all. She reminded him of himself--eager and passionate, always wanting to move out and about.

He cleared his throat, "Well, you could help me if you'd like to, Yerim-sshi."

Yerim whipped her head and grinned with her eyes gleaming when she saw Jaehyun by the stairs. "I'd love to!"

Jaehyun smiled, "Want to see how an interrogation works?"

"Oh, I can?"

Jaehyun nodded, "Of course. The VCU managed to track down Woo Jaehwan and is bringing him for interrogation. They needed me to observe him. You could be a tremendous help if you could also be there to pick up some fine details."

Yerim's eyes gleamed and she nodded enthusiastically.

"Doy? You coming?" Jaehyun asked.

"Nah. I'm waiting for Johnny. Go ahead and bring some good news," Doyoung flashed them a grin before leaving for the Chief's office, probably wanting to meet Johnny.

Jaehyun nodded and turned around, motioning the girl to follow him through a hallway to a secluded area. "This is the interrogation room. The real room is behind these glasses. Officer Han will be the one leading the interrogation but he's going to need me inside. You'll be fine out here alone in the control room, right?" Jaehyun asked.

"I'll be more than fine. Go ahead, I'll record everything in my head and try to pick up some details," Yerim smiled.

Jaehyun flashed her a grin and playfully tapped her forehead before entering the room.

Yerim stared ahead nervously. Woo Jaehwan was seated and he looked borderline annoyed. Officer Han and Jaehyun sat across him, not saying anything yet. But Yerim knew better, Jaehyun already started his analysis before Jaehwan spoke up.

She could see the way his eyes move, scanning Jaehwan not so discreetly, but his expression remained calm and composed. He looked stoic and as cool as a cucumber even though deep inside Yerim swore this is when Detective Jung Jaehyun looked the hottest.

Get a grip, Kim Yerim. Don't be hormonal! 

She scolded herself as she gazed into Detective Jung's brown eyes who were calculating and strong as he stared into Woo Jaehwan's eyes. She then noticed Officer Han talking so she shook her head and focused.

"Woo Daehwan, where were you on April 30th?" Officer Han asked.

He had been briefed about the murder case before, and he's here to help Jaehyun test Jaehwan's alibis.

"I'm at Yonghee's apartment," the man answered shortly.

"Are you sure?"

"Go ask that wench if you don't believe me," Jaehwan rolled his eyes.

 Jaehyun nodded. The man before him is agitated, impatient. But one thing he knew, is that the man is not lying.

Either that, or he's really good at masking his emotions.

___

"What do you think?" Jaehyun asked Yerim as they went down the stairs to go back to his desk.

"I don't want to become a party pooper but I think… he's not the one we're looking for. I mean, don't get me wrong, he still needs to be punished for what he has done to Shim Yonghee, but there's no real motives for murder. Especially since he has no relation with our two previous victims."

Jaehyun nodded, "I thought the same way too. He was too consistent to be considered lying. His body language clearly showed he was serious about his comments. He wasn't our killer."

"Who wasn't our killer?"

Both Jaehyun and Yerim was startled when Johnny appeared suddenly from the pantry. Yerim nearly slipped from the stairs if it wasn't for Jaehyun's quick reflexes to catch her elbow.

"Don't come up like that, it's irritating," Yerim sulked and Johnny grinned.

"Sorry, Katie Kat. Anyways, Doyoung told me you guys interrogated Woo Jaehwan," Youngho asked as they walked to the desks.

"Yeah, we did," Jaehyun nodded as he sat on top of his desk, letting Yerim took his chair since the usual spare swivel chair he pulled for her is nowhere in sight.

"How was it, guys?" Doyoung asked curiously.

"He's not our killer. That, I'm sure," Jaehyun answered.

"100%?"

"Maybe 95%. It's not just instinct, it's just that he didn't show signs of lying. VCU is trying to find CCTV footages to determine his whereabouts and check on his alibis so it'll take time. I offered help but they shrugged it off."

"We're short on time," Youngho sighed.

"We have two days," Yerim mused.

"At least we got an officer tailing Shim Yonghee everywhere. He's reporting to me every two hours or whenever they moved," Youngho said.

"How about Han Seungyeon?" Jaehyun asked.

"The upper heads refused. We don't have solid evidence that she's endangered, unlike Shim Yonghee. We only knew she's 26, used to live in the States, and had tattoos. And that, to them, is just assumptions. It's not worth the money," Youngho shook his head.

". What do we do then?" Doyoung asked.

"I've been tracking her and Shim Yonghee. By GPS. Officer Lee Jeno and Officer Na Jaemin helped me install this techy app that can track her. So far, nothing mysterious. And Yonghee's whereabouts according to my tracker and according to the officer aligned."

"And where is Shim Yonghee now?" Jaehyun asked.

"A psychiatrist office. Apparently since she broke up with Woo Jaehwan and being stalked and taunted by him, she suffered from depression," Youngho answered softly.

"Poor girl. So, she's in a consultation right now?" Yerim asked.

"The dot hasn't moved in two hours and the officer hasn't informed me yet. But I'll give the officer a call to make sure," Youngho sighed before punching in the officer's number.

They all waited patiently for Youngho to finish his call.

"She just finished her consultation. The officer said they're stopping by a pharmacy to buy the prescribed medicines. Antidepressants, I guess," Youngho explained.

"Alright. So now we wait?"

"Now we wait and observe, and pray to God nothing's going wrong." "

 
notes

soooo, my classes are officially cancelled and changed into online classes until june. most of my friends decided to go back to their hometown because of this and i was basically the last remaining person in my dorm because i wasn't thinking of going home.

can you imagine how boring would that be, stuck inside the dorm by yourself?

sadly, my hometown is the epicentrum of the covid pandemic in my country so it's highly unsafe to travel to my own hometown. but i braved myself and took a flight home, and now i'm being quarantined for 14 days before i could reunite with my family. pretty boring i have to say.

anyways, it's the tenth chapter and can you guys figure some things out already? or are there any gueses?

i let my friends read the drafts of my story and i like listening to their guesses and theories!

anyways, stay safe everyone!

love, btfg<3