o16 // shim yonghee

catch him if you can
chapter
16
 

It was past lunch time when Yerim finally left the cold confinement of the morgue and out into the office. It was quite calm aside from team 1's cubicles. She could see her brother pacing back and forth while barking snarky remarks on his phone. Jaehyun looked serious as he read something on his computer, while Doyoung was wrestling the copy machine furiously.

"Yerim?" She snapped out of her thoughts and glanced at Jaehyun.

"I brought my complete report. But I'm starving. Have you all eaten?" Yerim saw her brother looking at her direction but before the man could talk, Doyoung dropped his documents and ran to her side.

"Hallelujah! Yerim our savior! I'm famished. Let's order lunch before dealing with everything, alright?" Doyoung said quickly, giving the confused girl a bear hug.

"Sure...? Shall I buy the dosiraks from that place?" Yerim asked.

"I'll go with you. I need coffee. Coffee?" Jaehyun stood up.

"Me! Please add an extra shot of espresso, I'm going to need every energy boost I could obtain in order to face your brother," Doyoung said to Yerim with his signature gummy smile before going back to the damned copy machine.

"Man, we should replace this dinky old stuff! Someone is working against time here!" Doyoung kicked the machine, and the machine whirred back to life, somehow.

Yerim blinked confusedly and glanced at her brother who went inside the chief's office.

"I'm going to lose my sanity working with them. Let's get food," Jaehyun shook his head.

Yerim chuckled and followed the older guy out of the precinct, taking a deep breath of the crisp air.

"Finally, some fresh air, huh?"

Yerim grinned sheepishly, "One could only stand the smell of rotten bodies for a period of time."

"The smell was…. incredible. I wonder how you could stand it," Jaehyun commented.

"I just got used to it. It's my job," Yerim sighed.

Jaehyun grinned, choosing not to reply. Both of them fell into a comfortable silence, their strides in sync as they approached the shop. Yerim stayed silent as Jaehyun ordered, letting the older guy did most of the work. She stared at his broad back, looking at him conversing easily with the kind ahjumma. She's grateful her brother had Jaehyun by his side. Her brother had the tendency to be tense and pressured over the smallest things, and Doyoung seemed to be someone very intense and loud. Having the calm and collected Jaehyun by their side is definitely a good thing.

"Shall we head back?" Jaehyun asked softly to the girl. Yerim snapped back into reality and quickly nodded.

"The lady gave us free coffees!" Jaehyun smiled.

"That's good. Anyways, oppa… is my brother doing okay?"

"Hmm? Johnny? Well, it's hard to say. The chief is protecting our team but the deputy kept pressuring us. I guess four bodies is considered a warning sign. We have to prepare the best we could, the prosecutor will probably be coming to mess around in no time. That bastard Yoon Sangho is probably having a field day right now, knowing that the deputy got his back," Jaehyun grumbled.

"What can we do then?" Yerim bit her lips worriedly.

Jaehyun sighed, "We carry on with the investigation. We're going to have a hard time doing our job with the prosecutors prodding us every now and then, but we can do it. You might be facing difficulties since you're the one that did the autopsy so they will definitely be asking you stuffs."

"I'd like to just not answer then but I guess I can't do that," Yerim grimaced.

"That's why we need to think fast," Jaehyun shrugged as he opened the door to the precinct. When they got in, they saw Youngho going into the meeting room, slamming the door closed loudly.

"You guys are back. Great, I'm starving. Let's discuss things out over food," Doyoung said distractedly before following Youngho into the meeting room.

"What happened?" Yerim raised her brows.

"I think Doyoung was slowly losing his composure with your brother going restless. Let's just get some food into their system and hope they will be less cranky," Jaehyun sighed.

When Yerim entered the meeting room, her brother is slumped at one of the chairs and Doyoung is complaining about how hungry he is.

"Here," Jaehyun rolled his eyes and handed a lunchbox to the dramatic guy.

"Finally! I need some APT in me to deal with all these s," Doyoung grumbled.

"Umm... Did you mean ATP?" Yerim stifled a laugh.

"Yeah... that. Fine, little miss doctor," Doyoung rolled his eyes as he snapped the chopsticks and started digging in.

"You too, have some," Jaehyun handed Youngho his food. The man shot him a thankful look, and Jaehyun only smiled back as a reply. He took a seat next to Yerim and opened his own order. For a moment, they all enjoyed their late lunch in silence.

"Guys."

They turned to see their team leader.

"I've talked to the chief. We're hanging on a thin string now. Chief Kim had tried talking to Deputy Choi, but it seems like that old bastard is teaming up with Prosecutor Yoon."

"Ah, ," Doyoung cursed, clearly not liking their current predicament.

"Chief Kim managed to hold him back. Deputy Choi said he gave us a week. If we failed to make progress, then the prosecution office will have to take part in our investigation," Youngho explained.

"What have we got so far?" Jaehyun asked as he sipped his drink.

"CSI doesn't have enough information. Forensic studies… speaking of which, Kate, you haven't told us the complete visum result," Youngho pointed out as he stared at his sister.

"Oops. Alright, let me have a drink and then I'll write everything down on the board," Yerim lifted a finger signaling the three guys to wait before gulping down her coffee.

"Alright. So. You've all been updated by Jaehyun oppa on the result of the superficial examination. Thanatological exams ruled her death suicide. The slit marks on her wrist, that was her own doing. There are cadaveric spasms in her right hand, so she was cutting herself with the razor. Death was caused by bleeding due to severed Radialis artery," Yerim started as she scribbled down important information on the murder board.

"She cut herself?" Doyoung asked.

"Yes. Actually, she didn't completely cut her artery, the cut was not deep enough to kill. At least, not for half an hour or so."

"But you said it was suicide?"

"I did say that she committed suicide. The cause of death was hypovolemic shock. She lost a lot of blood. But, here's the catch," Yerim said as she leaned against the table.

"I got the toxicologic exam result from CSI. We found her pill bottle on her bathroom and instead of Fluoxetine, a medication for depression, we found Alteplase instead. And guess what? CSI confirmed that the residue inside her stomach was of Alteplase."

"O... kay? But what does the drug do? Does it have any correlation with her cause of death?"

"Yes. Very. It's a tissue plasminogen activator, which belongs to thrombolytic drugs. It basically broke down clotting and is a medication used for myocardial infarction."

"The drug broke down clotting?"

Yerim nodded, "Yes. when you cut yourself, your body will automatically produce substances that will help form clots to essentially close your wound. But since she's been consuming a thrombolytic agent, her body broke down clots that were formed, so she kept on bleeding and ended up losing too much blood that she died."

Jaehyun jotted down the important piece of information in his notepad.

"So, if she didn't take Alteplase, she would not die?" Youngho raised his brows.

"Probably. Well, no, she’d still die if she’s untreated, but at least, she would be able to hang on for at least 30 minutes. Even if she fell into a state of hemorrhagic shock, she could still be easily resuscitated inside an ambulance."

"Let's get back to our theory. We were right about Shim Yonghee being our next target. That means, we can confirm that our killer did have several clear criteria in mind about the victims,” Doyoung mused.

“I agree with that. It is safe to assume that our theory was correct and we should probably predict the next victim profile,” Jaehyun nodded.

“Yeah, I definitely think we should put Shim Yonghee aside and try to figure out our killer’s next move. With minimum evidences, it’s hard to put a conclusion on her death. Rather than dwelling on uncertain possibilities, isn’t it better to prevent the next murder?” Yerim shrugged.

“Good idea. So, the victim will be someone who had dyed hair, used to live in the States, and had tattoos, right?” Youngho moved to the board and started to jot down the information.

“Yeah. Since Shim Yonghee is a 30 years old female, then… a 32 years old male?” Doyoung raised his brows.

“I think so. That’s the pattern I guess,” Jaehyun nodded.

Youngho wrote down the information. “I’ll ask Officer Lee and Officer Na to compile a list of names that fit the criteria. I hope there aren’t too many names. The next murder is expected to happen early in July, right?” Youngho said.

His teammates nodded grimly.

“Yeah, we should do that. And shall we issue a security detail for the potential victim?”

Youngho sighed before dropping to his seat. “It’s going to be difficult. We invested a big amount of money to keep Shim Yonghee safe and look where she is now.”

“Hmm, but we were right about her being a victim, John. If anything, that means we weren’t providing enough security that she still ended up dead. Our precinct should provide our next possible victim with better security,” Jaehyun argued.

“You know our Deputy, Jay. And don’t forget, we still have Yoon Sangho at our necks,” Youngho said dejectedly.

“Well, . But still, let’s try. I think the chief will support us. Don’t lose hope, guys,” Doyoung said, trying to lift up the mood.

“Okay. I’ll try talking to Chief Kim. For now, let’s start compiling names and work on the investigation. I’ll ask Officer Lee and Officer Na for the names.”  

 
notes

hello! i'm back from the grave lol. i'm super busy with my (((online))) clinical rotation. i learned so many new things from my clinical rotation, and as a medical intern i got to more in-depth knowledge sooo i decided to revamp some medical things in the remaining chapters, that's why i disappeared for a month lol. I did a double update! check the chapter after this okay???

 

xo, btfg